PDA

View Full Version : Backwards Translation!


Gazer
04-18-2005, 09:59 AM
So, I'm skimming through the forums, and I come upon this old thread where some crazy guy wrote up a bunch of stuff in Eme. Now, I looked at it, and thought, "Well, hell. Xan could probably read this.. but I can't make anything of it. Don't think anybody's ever made an Eme dictionary... Crap."

So I got to thinking, and I was wondering if it'd be possible to impliment a sort of backwards translator? Type in the word and language and what-have-you, and if your language skill is high enough, it gives you any possible english words associated with it. Personally, I'd kill a newly or two to get my hands on something like this, and I'm sure anybody in the LPA would agree.

Eh? Eh?

Wildra
04-18-2005, 10:07 AM
The Marrach Dictionary (http://www.starkeys.com/marrach/) does that for Northern, Eastern, Teanga, and Western. Unfortunately not Eme, but that language is kept so secret and sacred, it's better not to have it. Perhaps if you ask reeeeaaally nicely, Namida will come up with something seperate for Eme.

*shrug* Never know until you ask!

Gazer
04-18-2005, 10:11 AM
Sadly, Namida doesn't know any Eme, far as I'm aware. And I don't s'pose it'd be very appropriate to have a public translator for Eme. S'why I was hoping for something hard-coded into the game.

<_< Well, more like dreaming, but, eh.


Edit: Thanks for the link, though! :D

Favonius Eagle
04-18-2005, 10:45 AM
If the posts were by me, you can also contact the author by PM.

Send me your Eme proficiency, and you might get a response with some partial translations.

There were some people who worked hard to translate the postings. Poke around IC.

Namida
04-18-2005, 12:03 PM
IG reasons were precisely why there's no Eme dictionary included. The Sorcerers like to keep it secret.

But if a Sorcerer, with the approval of Lady Serista, wants to make a dictionary for internal use, by all means contact me, and I'll gladly provide the list of words and provide server-space for it as well. (Even try and make it so only those authorized can access it.) Only thing, you'll have to translate all the words yourself :)

Pia

Xewe
04-20-2005, 01:02 AM
A few of the posts made on the boards in Eme had been done by one of my characters. If you point out what post it was I might recall what the words had been. If I don't recall yet it was one of my posts, it says something almost completely idiodic.

Lucus
04-20-2005, 03:56 AM
I'm not up to date on the whole Eme thing, but as far as I know, no PCs have Grandmaster Eme. The highest level Eme I've seen on a PC so far is Journeyman, meaning at best, the Eme will translate to "sdkalgf sdakfhbldksajx kdlsfb kjasdbl" even if you did translate it, unless Eme works differently than other languages.

Uwaine
04-20-2005, 04:18 AM
Journeyman?

They weren't the Apprentice, obviously. ;)

jdyer
04-24-2005, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by Gazer
So I got to thinking, and I was wondering if it'd be possible to impliment a sort of backwards translator? Type in the word and language and what-have-you, and if your language skill is high enough, it gives you any possible english words associated with it. Personally, I'd kill a newly or two to get my hands on something like this, and I'm sure anybody in the LPA would agree.

I do have something of the sort, but it doesn't exactly have an interface or anything, and translating is trickier work than you might imagine. It tends to require very slow work on the order of hours for a single paragraph, and can't really be worked in an automatic fashion anyway.

There is a way to manage the Eme, but that's an IC question.

Gazer
04-24-2005, 07:34 PM
Well, what I'm talking about is a very OOC thing. o_o IC, the character should be able to understand the written language as well as the spoken language, unless the 'language' skill doesn't cover literacy.. and.. yeah.

Dittersdorf
04-24-2005, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by Gazer
Well, what I'm talking about is a very OOC thing. o_o IC, the character should be able to understand the written language as well as the spoken language, unless the 'language' skill doesn't cover literacy.. and.. yeah.

This has been brought up since the languages in Marrach were first invented. I suppose even if scrolls are ever fixed up to be readable by fluent speakers it will not cure translation problems seen on the message boards.

Trust me when I say even when you have a dictionary, you have a *long* way to go on translation -- too many words map to the same thing.

Namida
04-25-2005, 01:01 AM
I suppose even if scrolls are ever fixed up to be readable by fluent speakers Just some happy news to the returned player.

Scrolls now can be written in languages. It works like spoken languages.

To write a scroll in a language, speak it and write the scroll the old way (ergo: type: write my scroll "text here")

This system doesn't work with sky-writer yet though.

Gazer
04-25-2005, 06:11 AM
Rock /on/. Sekrit sorcery messages in Eme! Yay! :D


And yes, Ditters' player, I understand that it's a pain in the ass to translate something OOCly, even with a dictionary. Was just hoping for a nice, IC-friendly solution for not having an Eme dictionary. :)

jdyer
04-25-2005, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by Namida
Scrolls now can be written in languages. It works like spoken languages.

w00t! You don't know how long I've been waiting for this. :D

Vincint
04-25-2005, 09:39 AM
Er.. haven't you always been able to do that?

Priam
04-25-2005, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by Vincint
Er.. haven't you always been able to do that?

It's a very new thing. :p Maybe a year or so.

Rosalind
04-25-2005, 10:55 AM
I know it isn't really possible, considering all of the double meanings. But it always makes me cringe that you can't repeat (ie: copy and paste) something a courier says and go to your Grandmaster Teanga teacher and ask what it means...

You'd think they could tell you what it means, because technically when they 'hear it themselves' they understand each word perfectly...

jdyer
04-25-2005, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by Rosalind
I know it isn't really possible, considering all of the double meanings. But it always makes me cringe that you can't repeat (ie: copy and paste) something a courier says and go to your Grandmaster Teanga teacher and ask what it means...

You'd think they could tell you what it means, because technically when they 'hear it themselves' they understand each word perfectly...

Well, keep in mind that all the Marrach languages rely a great deal on intonation in addition to just sounds (otherwise all the duplicate words wouldn't make any sense). Most likely you would not be able to reproduce the words to your teacher correctly.

We can also presume the written-on-scroll version has "special" annotations to make everything clear.

Priam
04-25-2005, 10:36 PM
Or we can just suspend disbelief, accept that the matrix for converting words is going to be limited by the fact that it's just code with a limited number of words to draw on, and not bother coming up with apologetics and ad hoc hypotheses to explain away totally nonsensical grammar and vocabulary. :p

There's no point in trying to explain unavoidably limited coded features in RL terms.

jdyer
04-25-2005, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by Priam
Or we can just suspend disbelief, accept that the matrix for converting words is going to be limited by the fact that it's just code with a limited number of words to draw on, and not bother coming up with apologetics and ad hoc hypotheses to explain away totally nonsensical grammar and vocabulary. :p

There's no point in trying to explain unavoidably limited coded features in RL terms.

The problem being those who teach such things seriously (e.g. Collegium members and the like) end up at some point running smack against a wall without a little bit of meat to their explanations.

They don't have to be perfectly consistent explanations, but just shrugging one's shoulders is hardly satisfying.

(That, and the intonation explanation isn't bad -- there are some languages where a great deal of information is carried in intonation, sometimes leading to embarrasing effects.)