Announcement

Collapse

Downtimes: June 24 - July 2nd

We've got another batch of shutdowns coming in late June and early July, so that the machines can be repaired for the newest bug, the ZombieLoad CPU bug.

In general, the Genesis games (Grendel, TEC, TEC-Test) all have reboots scheduled for the absolute middle of the night, so I'll be taking each down the previous evening at midnight and bringing them back up the next morning at 9am.

The SkotOS games have always been more robust about reboots, so we'll let them reboot on their own, though there's some chance for an ~2 hour data loss. In any case, I'll be checking them after the 2-hour window when I can, though Marrach has a middle-of-the-night reboot, so that'll be the next morning.

The UserDB and Web reboots will cause some downtime for the entire site, but again they will hopefully come up cleanly.

GENESIS:

- Shutdown Grendel (late Sunday 6/23)

- Startup Grendel (early Monday 6/24)

- Shutdown TEC (late Monday 6/24)

- Startup TEC (early Tuesday 6/25)

- Check TEC Client (9pm Tuesday 6/25)

- Shutdown TEC-Test (late Thursday 6/27)

- Startup TEC-Test (Friday 6/28)

SKOTOS:

- Marrach (Monday early morning 6/24)

- Ironclaw (Monday 10pm-midnight 6/24)

- Lovecraft, Lazarus (Monday 8pm-10pm 7/2)

MAIN SITE:

- UserDB (Monday 10pm-midnight 6/24)

- Web (Sunday 9pm-11pm 6/30)
See more
See less

Every Exit is an Entrance to Somewhere Else

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Every Exit is an Entrance to Somewhere Else

Originally posted by ChristopherA
    Seriously, Castle Marrach also has a very long term plot. It may take years for the players to play it out. It is even possible for them to "end" the Castle. Maybe at that point we start the game over, who knows?
    Alright, my question would basically be this:

Would it be with different story ideas at the start? Or would it be with the same ideas, but where the evolution of the story is different? The latter part of the second question is a given, since there will be different people playing the game, thus a different evolution of the story.

Re: Every Exit is an Entrance to Somewhere Else

Originally posted by Stix
    Alright, my question would basically be this:

Would it be with different story ideas at the start? Or would it be with the same ideas, but where the evolution of the story is different? The latter part of the second question is a given, since there will be different people playing the game, thus a different evolution of the story.
    It depends on the design of the specific game.

With Castle Marrach, any restart would be difficult as the 'fixed secrets' of the game would be relatively public knowledge. Other games might not be as sensitive to this if they restarted, if the secrets were not as fixed.

As an extreme example, with Galactic Emperor: Succession the game restarted every week -- even if you knew some secrets, it wouldn't help you that much. Another game that was some fantasy civil war between two factions could also be restarted, as the "secrets" are what the other faction is doing, which would be different enough from restart to restart to not give one side too much of a particular advantage or to spoil the game.

-- Christopher Allen

Comment

Castle Marrach's "Restartability" would depend highly on why it was brought to a close, and what the nature of the restart would be...

Which Player Characters could be brought over?

Which NPCs would be brought over?
      Any? Some? None? All?

It sort of strikes me the same way there's always an "Enterprise" in Star Trek (except for DS9), but its context shifts over time and space.

Marrach might have a very different "feel" depending on what elements were added in, or taken out, between the restarts.

Maybe some swath of Guilds were entirely obliterated. Maybe a new part of the castle was added, or other parts torn down?

Who knows how much the world might change between eras?

Restarting from "zero" -- status quo ante -- back to the very beginning of the Recent Awakenings with -none- of the ICly experiences, man -- that would be a doozy! It would also likely be non-desirable.

It would be far more possible that there'd be some sort of catastrophe, time passes, and then we start re-awakenings again.

Old characters wake up -- woah! -- what happened! Maybe a lot -don't- wake up! -- (eyeshift) -- where did X, Y, and Z go?
      I think there are actually -infinite- possibilities of "different eras" of the castle, just as long as we don't nuke it from orbit.

-Pete.
      ~ Gareth Beaumains ~

~ For Love! For Valour!
      ~ For Honour! For Glory!
      ~ Onwards to Adventure!

Comment

Think outside the box.

If Marrach were to "end," why restart it? Why not have it open its gates, and give its denizens opportunity to settle around it, thereby almost fusing the idea of TEC and CM together. In this case, living in the Outer would be an honour, and living in the Inner a tremendous honour. People can go about trying to be mayor of a town, build shops, create prosperous cities, etc.

Like lair-building in GR (I realise there is a code difference), let the denizens build their own structures. This puts less on the coders to do.

Watch the nascent community grow in Ardan: the Awakening. Scheduled release, October 15, 2009.

Mike.
        <-> V. Mayakovsky <->
        Member of Her Majesty's Court
        Favoured Student, College of Art of the Royal Collegium

" You ask how many friends I have? Water and stone, bamboo and pine.
        The moon rising over the eastern hill is a joyful comrade.
        Besides these five companions, what other pleasure should I ask?"

- Yun Son-Do (1587 - 1671)

Comment

I would rather it not be turned into such because a lot of us like Marrach more as a Grant Theatre than a World. And who is to say the castle's existence or the populace of the castle wouldn't come to an end at the conclusion of the story? Though, if it does not come to an end, perhaps there could be an "outside." But not one so big that it becomes TEC. But I am thinking more about hunting skills, woodcutting, sheep tending, etc. Almost a town and countryside society. But this could only happen if the castle doesn't "poof," so to say, and if a couple other changes happen.

It would be cool to add a small area outside the castle. But I also think it would be cool if the castle started over with a different storyline.

Comment

Working...
          X