Announcement

Collapse

Downtimes: June 24 - July 2nd

We've got another batch of shutdowns coming in late June and early July, so that the machines can be repaired for the newest bug, the ZombieLoad CPU bug.

In general, the Genesis games (Grendel, TEC, TEC-Test) all have reboots scheduled for the absolute middle of the night, so I'll be taking each down the previous evening at midnight and bringing them back up the next morning at 9am.

The SkotOS games have always been more robust about reboots, so we'll let them reboot on their own, though there's some chance for an ~2 hour data loss. In any case, I'll be checking them after the 2-hour window when I can, though Marrach has a middle-of-the-night reboot, so that'll be the next morning.

The UserDB and Web reboots will cause some downtime for the entire site, but again they will hopefully come up cleanly.

GENESIS:

- Shutdown Grendel (late Sunday 6/23)

- Startup Grendel (early Monday 6/24)

- Shutdown TEC (late Monday 6/24)

- Startup TEC (early Tuesday 6/25)

- Check TEC Client (9pm Tuesday 6/25)

- Shutdown TEC-Test (late Thursday 6/27)

- Startup TEC-Test (Friday 6/28)

SKOTOS:

- Marrach (Monday early morning 6/24)

- Ironclaw (Monday 10pm-midnight 6/24)

- Lovecraft, Lazarus (Monday 8pm-10pm 7/2)

MAIN SITE:

- UserDB (Monday 10pm-midnight 6/24)

- Web (Sunday 9pm-11pm 6/30)
See more
See less

Question!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question!!

ok i have a idea for a game but i am 14 could you help me get this online??

i was searching your fourms and found out i had 2 be 18 ill be 14 soon dec 20 so plz help me and i would like to make SOME royalties and make it free alpha and beta to get pop and when it goes gold for 6 months ill make it p2p... well i gtg finish up my game.. on word ill send it to who ever wants it like a mod or the owner of the site or the CIP team... bye
    ------------------------------------------------
    When You Bleed..
    You Shall See..
    Me...
    A Dark Elf
    XertosTDE!!!
    Prepare To Die..
    Or Ally!!!!

Ok... now I have been trying to decipher this post for two days now, to no avail at all.

Mike!

PS. I'm not a Skotos employee, they are much more polite.
    <-> V. Mayakovsky <->
    Member of Her Majesty's Court
    Favoured Student, College of Art of the Royal Collegium

" You ask how many friends I have? Water and stone, bamboo and pine.
    The moon rising over the eastern hill is a joyful comrade.
    Besides these five companions, what other pleasure should I ask?"

- Yun Son-Do (1587 - 1671)

Comment

The original poster is only 14 years old, or will be in December. Wanting to start up a game and gain royalties from such.

There are a few other threads that can be found on this. The problem is that until someone is 18, a contract is just not binding. Though you can spend the the until you do reach 18 working up various ideas you might have. I know I've spent a few years on a couple of ideas. It's given me a good idea of what I'd like to do. Keeping an eye on the articles posted here, and my experiences in the Skotos games has given me more the idea of what is fesable to do.

idly mysed by Ra'

Comment

Ok... I really dont have much to say im a little tired from the past 3 days working on the logo and such... Well i understand you haveing to decipher my post. it was not my best really so.. il just tell you what i mean... If anyone could not put me in a contract and just steal my game its fine with me but... i would just like to be apart of the coding process and that kind of stuff (for exp) so... i cant really say i want nothing but royalties cuz we i thought up the idea (which i had not came here before then) i wanted a free MUD/RPG like the game i am trying to make... but if this is not possible in any way... ill wait for a Admin Or Site Owner to reply to this message... thank you for your quick and to the point replys... have a nice day!!!
        When You Bleed..
        You Shall See..
        Me...
        A Dark Elf
        XertosTDE!!!
        Prepare To Die..
        Or Ally!!!!

Comment

The 18-year old requirement is one that's important, not just to protect you, but to protect us and our games as well.

Because contracts aren't binding before you're 18 we could find ourselves in a situation where all our support of a game's construction was for nought, even one where we had to suddenly take down a game even if lots of our players were playing it.

So, unfortunately we can't even look at proposals if the submitter isn't 18. But, I do plan for Skotos to be here in 4 years, so if you're really excited about the possibility, refine and rework (and play) until then, as Ra suggests.

Shannon

Comment

ok look at it this way shaanon i have started to code my a off and have got a few parts of the game done so all i need is a server!! and im working on that so i have 2 chocies you could sign me or you could shelf. i shall complete this game!! with or without this site.
            When You Bleed..
            You Shall See..
            Me...
            A Dark Elf
            XertosTDE!!!
            Prepare To Die..
            Or Ally!!!!

Comment

Um ... server space is generally cheep and fairly available, for not guarenteed uptime applications. Pick up a DSl line to your house with static IPs (~$80 a month last time I looked). Will cover 10's of people online at once easily. If you want 100's of people online at once, you're starting to talk a higher end DSL line or perhaps a fractional T1.

But ... what kind of game did you say this was? RPG's are really REALLY hard to program. Well, without resorting to a toolkit/server like LPmud or whatever the current generation of mud/mush servers are. Startegy games can be much easier, since they have set rules, but still. Its probably more complex than you think.

-=- Matt

ps. I have no real online world building experience, but I have a LOT of software experience in academia and out in the harry real world.

Comment

hi thanks for reply..
                i have cable will that work i have very little coding exp. but my mother has helped me a little so when i go back to corpus i should be getting some small funds from friends that i have meet online and do i know you matt? so um.. well if i could find a server that could take a few people for the start like 50 maybe.. and well... just to get the game programmed i need a team my email address is >>>craz8666man@yahoo.com<<< if you can help in any way funding, coding, have a good game making program plz do email me i need all the help i can get on this!! i am sorry about my last post on that i was a lil unhappy at the moment being turned down is bad well i gtg plz email me if you can help!!
                When You Bleed..
                You Shall See..
                Me...
                A Dark Elf
                XertosTDE!!!
                Prepare To Die..
                Or Ally!!!!

Comment

Do we know each other? I doubt it. If you aren't in Colorado, I can almost guarentee it. Trying to think if any of the kids I knew in CA would be 14 by now.

If you have a cable modem, drop a unix box on your lan and use that. I'd suggest freebsd, but linux would work as well (or openbsd. Netbsd is the evilist of the free unix's). I know my home server handles like 20k hits a day and a few thousand emails.

What tools you want to use depend on the game you're trying to build. If a MUD, look for sone of the mud packages (diku, lp, etc). If a Mush, look for one of those (lots, but the names escape me). To roll your own server capable of handling 50+ interactive connections is ... unrealistic I think. I've done multiplayer internet games before (client/server etc) but it was about 15 man months of time from some very adept programers, and it was a very simple game.

If you're doing something more actiony, take a look at something like the XTrek server, or even a quake server if there is an open source one. WOuld at elast give you an order of magnitude on complexity. XTank or grilljor might suffice as well.

If you're doing something more nethack/rogue like, have you looked at the source bases for both of those? Many years ago there were thoughts of doing multiplayer versions of those, but AFAIK the attempts mostly didn't go far. Oh, another multi-player semiRPG is Crossfire. Again client server.

Oh, if you're serious and really looking for a 'team', you might try looking at some of the open source development sites. If people like what you're doing, they will help. And probably give you better feedback than I can. I've used SourceForge some, but there are others. Of course, if you're doing this as a windows only thing that might not be such a great idea.

So ... good luck. I know enough to know how hard some things are. The advantage of having an alphabet soup after my name. But these forums are much more oriented to specific skotos game building things, and less for general game building. You'd be better served posting to a forum more designed for game building in the style of game you are making.

-=- Matt

Comment

hey thx again for your reply i guess i shall start downloading lunix (the free one) and i was wondering should i dl mandrake or redhat redhat is fliping huge and mandrake i dont know but i cant start it now it is 9:00 central time and i am just looking around for stuff you know server stuff so i can get a server online for free? well i guess i should wait for you to reply... um... not much to say the site has been up for 2 days!! and i would like everyone to visit it to make freewebs get a better server!! its slow as heck im really mad their new server is even slow so.. guess its cuzz its free i didn't have time to post news today but... thats ok... um... well again if any one can help in any way funding, server help, team, email me at >>craz8666man@yahoo.com<< plz do and matt could you email me about the server and sstuff so i can figure this stuff out also matt would you have any experience at coding im using vb6.0 and i use to know how to use it 3 years ago!! well bye all!!
                    oh ya what the hell is a mush?? i know mud but not mush must be new!!
                    When You Bleed..
                    You Shall See..
                    Me...
                    A Dark Elf
                    XertosTDE!!!
                    Prepare To Die..
                    Or Ally!!!!

Comment

Well, my personal opinion is that linux is evil (and I know I'll get flamed for that). But its my experience. I've worked with a number of people from a few of the open source linux camps (linux, well ... slackware. FreeBSD, OpenBSD, NetBSD). I run Free at home for a number of reasons. Which I can pontificate at length about in another forum if I really need to. But its been years since I did linux tech support. There are plenty of groups out there in teh world to support you getting lunux running, I'm not one of them.

As for freewebs, you get what you pay for. Its hard to complain TOO hard about a service that gives you something for nothing.

Wait ... you want to vode in visual basic? First - Double Ewwww!!! Second, you do know that VB is effectively a M$ thing, and that lunix, or any of the free unix's, won't really help. Sounds more like you need Win2K or a reasonable XP setup. Won't get the performance of a unix server, but I expect if you have a fairly modern PC its massively overkill for anything but modern games anyway.

As to me and VB? I refuse to touch a M$ product for anything that I don't have to. At work I have my NT card running a MP3 player (better sound out than the solaris workstation) and ICQ. And IE every once in a while. At home, the win2k box plays games and handles the printer. Thats about all. I am very definitly NOT a windows person, sorry. Heck, I actually owned a sparc station before a PC (sparc 1. those where the days).

Oh, depending again on what the game your working on is (which I note you STILL haven't told us so we could help you more. Secrecy is one thing, paranoia is another), someone I know suggested you might well be better off doing a total conversion mod on doom II or quake. You can support a lot that way apparently (http://igj.sourceforge.net/games.html as an example). Not something I'm really interested in, but a very casual search turned it up.

I'd also suggest very strongly you start doing your homework pretty soon. Look at what you want to do, and see what requirements you have. If its VB, you need a system that supports VB, and there's no point in looking at those that don't. Same with network conectivity, routing, DNS, etc. All the fun parts of setting up a domain. At some point, it gets harder and harder to offer constructive advice if you don't do the research.

-=- Matt

Comment

well i guess i have not put the type of game i was working on which is a MUD|RPG i would still like to know what a MUSH is... well i am for any server that is FREE!! untill i can get some money and get the stuff i need XP, a new computer, etc. (at home)... im a lil broke at the moment well not if any one takes cash!! well if i was to buy anything say a computer i would need a money order how would i get that and what does it do?... im only 14 i wish i had a bank account... i have check savings and all but... dont know crap about that stuff... well to the point if there is any free servers better then luinx plz feel fre to tell me!! well i thx you again for your very quick replys!!! which i dont know how you do it but you do matt.. i shall look around and most of this stuff is new to me i could use a tech supervisor matt you are a smart person thx for all the help in the past week!!
                        When You Bleed..
                        You Shall See..
                        Me...
                        A Dark Elf
                        XertosTDE!!!
                        Prepare To Die..
                        Or Ally!!!!

Comment

I think you're rapidly confusing OS with application. OS (linux, XP, win2k, FreeBSD) stands for Operating System. The thing that makes the box more than a colelction of finely crafted sand.

Applications (MUDs, Mushes, etc) run ontop of the OS. Like Word or whatever you program VB in.

MUSH - No clue what the abbreviation stands for. Someone else will have to help me there. but Mush's tend toward more RP focus, while Mud's tend to more combat/level/skill focus. Marrach is a Mush really. System light. GR is a Mud. Kill kill kill.

As for getting source code, I tend to use http://www.google.com but you can use your search engine of choice. Try key words like 'mud source code', then limit as you go. google is your friend. Hmm, in 30 seconds I came across http://www.game.org/ftpsite. Seems to have 14 different MUD/Mush/Moo packages. And this was not an exhaustive search.

As for cash/resources. All I can say is depending on your state, part time job. Good for the resources, good for character development as well.

tech supervisor - *chuckle*. I can manage to do some mid level management, but I know my own limitations. And that I get cranky if I'm too far from code. But skill comes from practice and education. You obviously have some drive, so now all you need to do is refine it. If your high school has computer science courses, take them. There are also a zillion books out there on 'teach yourself XYZ programing langauge in 3 easy steps'. Pick up one of those for your language of choice.

BTW, for language, I'd strongly recomend C or C++ over VB. AFAIK, most of the free source your going to find is in C/C++ or a derivitive. Not all, but most.

-=- Matt

Comment

i have deleted my last post that i posted becuase a major turn in the game has come.. i shall not have the server but... im not sure this is going to be good but w/e works well lets see... um... i will get the game up i cant decied if i should get red hat lunix or cobalt lunix whats the difference?? well its all nastylly expensive 1k is alot of money to make in a month!! i am messing with the stuff like how many drives should i get they max at 73gb which i dont need but i need a database and stuff the program will most likey be small and less grfx.. the sourceforge was confusing to my eyes so i left and browsed so place i found a place where they custom make servers so i am messing with that like i said... umm whats the difference between a IDE and SCSI, SCSI raid system??
                            well how much Ram do i need 1k or 2k? or less?... and should i get a celoron or PIII?? do i need a tape drive?and should i get a firewall?? and whats a VPN?? thats all for right now... i gtg bye!!
                            When You Bleed..
                            You Shall See..
                            Me...
                            A Dark Elf
                            XertosTDE!!!
                            Prepare To Die..
                            Or Ally!!!!

Comment

Belive it or not, some of us take time away from our computers occasionally. We see players, we game in real life, we hang out with out wives, we hurt our backs helping friends move freaken huge chest freezers down a flight of stairs.

Cobalt linux? Are you talking about cobalt cubes? If so, I'll decline to answer since I work for Sun and of course think you should buy our products. They're neato keen great and wonderfull.

IDE vs. SCSI and RAID - There are tons of web pages that will discuss different drive technologies.

RAM - Ummm ... 1k? Unless you're programming in a very VERY tight assembly, 1K is kinda small. About the worst I've ever actually had to work with is java on a palm pilot (64k heap regions and 16 bit processors are a pain). If you're REALLY talking in gigebytes, then the answer is ... it depends. My home server's got a half gig of ram, and doesn't appear to be memory bound at all at the moment. But I seem to recall things like Marrach taking a bunch more, and some carefull memory management techniques in addition.

Asking how much ram you want/need is kinda like asking - how big a house should I buy. Or how fast a car? You get what you need, and what you can afford.

Celeron vs. PIII - I'm an AMD supporter myself.

Tape drive - Well, backups are a really REALLY good thing. I'm mostly a worshiper at the church of the daily backup, with some lapses in that I don't follow the cannon of off site backups.

VPN - Again, dozens of web pages will give you the low down. Google isyour friend.

firewall - it depends if you like having your hardware hacked. In general, the answer is - yes. Anything connected to the internet should have some measure of network security.

-=- Matt

ps. Saying 1k is a lot to make in a month definitly ages you. Anyone paying rent or mortgage will probably disagree.

Comment

Working...
                              X