Announcement

Collapse

Downtimes: June 24 - July 2nd

We've got another batch of shutdowns coming in late June and early July, so that the machines can be repaired for the newest bug, the ZombieLoad CPU bug.

In general, the Genesis games (Grendel, TEC, TEC-Test) all have reboots scheduled for the absolute middle of the night, so I'll be taking each down the previous evening at midnight and bringing them back up the next morning at 9am.

The SkotOS games have always been more robust about reboots, so we'll let them reboot on their own, though there's some chance for an ~2 hour data loss. In any case, I'll be checking them after the 2-hour window when I can, though Marrach has a middle-of-the-night reboot, so that'll be the next morning.

The UserDB and Web reboots will cause some downtime for the entire site, but again they will hopefully come up cleanly.

GENESIS:

- Shutdown Grendel (late Sunday 6/23)

- Startup Grendel (early Monday 6/24)

- Shutdown TEC (late Monday 6/24)

- Startup TEC (early Tuesday 6/25)

- Check TEC Client (9pm Tuesday 6/25)

- Shutdown TEC-Test (late Thursday 6/27)

- Startup TEC-Test (Friday 6/28)

SKOTOS:

- Marrach (Monday early morning 6/24)

- Ironclaw (Monday 10pm-midnight 6/24)

- Lovecraft, Lazarus (Monday 8pm-10pm 7/2)

MAIN SITE:

- UserDB (Monday 10pm-midnight 6/24)

- Web (Sunday 9pm-11pm 6/30)
See more
See less

Getting my feet wet

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting my feet wet

Greetings, Skotos, from your newest forum member! I've actually lurked around on this site for many weeks, perusing the boards and reading as many of your outstanding articles as my overtaxed brain can absorb - and I'm nowhere near finishing, so please forgive me if I ask a seemingly ignorant question, or one that's been asked before.

1) What has happened to Sam Witt and Horizon Station? The last Metastatic article was over a year ago... I love the idea but this definitely qualifies as an ominous silence...

2) If someone is developing a game for you and for whatever reason abandons it before completion, what happens to that game? Do you try to find someone else to take over the project?

3) Many game developers will post a website for their game even during the alpha phase - to drum up excited customers beforehand, report on the state of development, and solicit feedback from their players-to-be. Has Skotos considered doing this?

4) Obviously more Skotos games would mean more customers and more income. How many more games are you looking to add in the near future... I count Og & Devil's Cay... are there more? What stage of development are they in? When can we look forward to open betas?

5) Like many people I am eager/yearning/wishing/excitied at the prospect of 'telling my own' story in game form, but after reading the articles the task seems extremely daunting. I'd LOVE to get my feet wet by helping with an existing project first, much as an apprentice would learn from a master of the craft. How would you recommend I get my start?

6) Besides bumping up your rates and kicking around the idea of a premium service, do you have any other new/changed strategies to grow Skotos?

I've noticed that y'all are great about answering questions on the boards here... I also admire the idea behind Skotos and intend to continue my account when the Free Trial is up in a week or so. Thanks in advance for answering.

There are actually two games currently in development. One is Devils Cay. The other one is Lovecraft Country. These are the two being developed by Skotos. However, WAP probably has a few games in development. They've allied with the developer of a MU*ing system to bring that on line, and from what I've read, with that system, there's a possibility of a lot of games. Not sure if this is going through Skotos, though.

Originally posted by Marnevel
    Dunstvangeet's right
    Newpatriot (Aux) Snakes on your plane to Storm_queen, "Jesus Christ: Vampire Hunter has a lot t do with lesbians. See, vampires find out that if they wear lesbian skin they can walk around in sunlight. So Jesus teams up with a Mexican wrestler named El Santos to fight lesbian vampires. And it's a musical."

Comment

Re: Getting my feet wet

Originally posted by Muimal
      1) What has happened to Sam Witt and Horizon Station? The last Metastatic article was over a year ago... I love the idea but this definitely qualifies as an ominous silence...
      My best guess is that Horizon Station has fizzled out, though I haven't talked with Sam to make that explicit.

2) If someone is developing a game for you and for whatever reason abandons it before completion, what happens to that game? Do you try to find someone else to take over the project?
      In general if you had interest in completing a game that was begun then abandoned, submit a proposal for it. If we don't already have the rights, it should be easy to acquire them.

3) Many game developers will post a website for their game even during the alpha phase - to drum up excited customers beforehand, report on the state of development, and solicit feedback from their players-to-be. Has Skotos considered doing this?
      We've tried to fill that niche through (1) articles -and- (2) forums. These both seem more communal ways of building up interest, and allow the game designers to really concentrate on the game. But, if a developer wanted a website and the game was a fair ways along, we'd oblige.

4) Obviously more Skotos games would mean more customers and more income. How many more games are you looking to add in the near future... I count Og & Devil's Cay... are there more? What stage of development are they in? When can we look forward to open betas?
      I suspect there will be four new games within the next 6-9 months. Devils Cay and Lazarus Sleeping are external games being very actively worked on. We're coordinating Lovecraft Country in house for a hopeful release in early 2003 (see the press release, today or tomorrow). I'd like to to create a wide variant of GE: Hegemony based on trade, called Galactic Emperor: Merchant Kings. I've been talking with some players about the possibility of bringing over a currently defunct game called Crossroads. And there are a couple of other possibilities that I can't talk about yet.

5) Like many people I am eager/yearning/wishing/excitied at the prospect of 'telling my own' story in game form, but after reading the articles the task seems extremely daunting. I'd LOVE to get my feet wet by helping with an existing project first, much as an apprentice would learn from a master of the craft. How would you recommend I get my start?
      Send me mail, tell me what experience you have, what you want to do, and what type of game excites you. I'll get you talking to the appropriate team, and then you can convince them.

6) Besides bumping up your rates and kicking around the idea of a premium service, do you have any other new/changed strategies to grow Skotos?
      More games, better directed advertising, other partnership deals. I've got a number of thinsg in the works right now and am hoping at least one of them pans out really well.

I've noticed that y'all are great about answering questions on the boards here... I also admire the idea behind Skotos and intend to continue my account when the Free Trial is up in a week or so. Thanks in advance for answering.
      You're welcome; thanks for joining Skotos.

Shannon

Comment

Working...
      X