Announcement

Collapse

SkotOS Downtown: Wednesday, 11am-1pm PT

I am scheduling a downtime for all SkotOS machines from 11am-1pm PT on Wednesday.
  • Marrach will be going down to upgrade its Operating System
  • Lazarus (and Lovecraft) will be going down to upgrade its Operating System
  • Ironclaw will (hopefully) be going down to tune its performance
See more
See less

Paid positions?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paid positions?

Since most of these MUDs are being commercially developed, I was wondering if any of them were offering paid coder or builder positions. Also, I have a group capable of art, music, and other abilities as well.

All of the S7 games in development are being produced by teams of volunteers.. meaning none of us get paid. The only exception would be if the team leader decided to pay the team him/herself, though I don't know if anyone is doing that or not.
    "You don't need to kill him or anything. Just give 'im something to think about on the way to surgery."

"Any day you have to take a bath and go to bed early isn't a day off in -my- book."

"We've got to contend with vortexes and light speeds! Anything could go wrong! Of course we need to wear goggles!"

- Calvin and Hobbes

Comment

That's pretty lousy. So basically a bunch of people are giving away full rights and permissions to a specific developer so that he can earn money for their work?

I have a MUD, where do I sign up for these freebie worldbuilders? =)

Comment

The way I understand it, the money that comes in (and doesn't go to hosting, bandwidth, salaries and other running expenses) is spread among the games -or to be more precise, to the relevant holders of the intellectual property- depending on attendance/success. Unless Skotos decides to adopt a game as a Flagship game in which case they'd offer to take over running the game in exchange for royalties. Or something like that; not clear on the Flagship stuff.

But that information is also easily available on the Skotos website, in the StoryBuilder section, just two clicks away, where even a monkey could find it if they'd bother to look in the first place (http://www.skotos.net/storybuilders/Rewards.html).

However, there's no up-front money for games under development.

Have a nice day.
        'If you're going through hell, keep going.'
        -- Winston Churchill

POLITENESS, n.
        The most acceptable hypocrisy.
        -- Ambrose Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary

'Hitler had a good 20 to 30 IQ points on Bush, so comparing Bush to Hitler would in many ways be an insult to Hitler.'

Comment

Don't forget that those royalties are spread out among the entire team, which can range from a handful of people to (in most cases) dozens of people. Assuming that the Guru's decide to share the royalties with the team in the first place.. it is their game afterall.

I don't mean to sound pessimistic about the whole process or anything, but don't expect to make any money from it as a grunt. In fact, the storybuilders have to keep accounts with Skotos in order to develop the games.. so you might actually end up losing money from it if you don't actively play any Skotos games. However, it's only a small matter if you enjoy the Skotos games and play them on a regular basis.
          "You don't need to kill him or anything. Just give 'im something to think about on the way to surgery."

"Any day you have to take a bath and go to bed early isn't a day off in -my- book."

"We've got to contend with vortexes and light speeds! Anything could go wrong! Of course we need to wear goggles!"

- Calvin and Hobbes

Comment

It is understandable that you feel like you should be paid for any work you do on a commercial game.

Thing is... don't confuse a Skotos prose-based game with the next release of Everquest. There probably isn't going to be /that/ much money available to pay any staff.

Lead developers do get royalties, but whatever money we do receive will vary quite a bit depending on the popularity of the game.

Personally, I am counting on something like minimum wage in the 1800s...

As for staffers giving away their work for no compensation... well, if they consider it the same as a real job (i.e. tedious work), then it probably isn't worth doing. I can't comment on any other games in progress, but I want my staff to have fun -- building objects, doing a bit of coding, or simply testing things. Having fun in the process of creating something would be their compensation.

That said, if down the road I found a lead coder and/or plotter who was very active and doing a great job, I wouldn't have a problem giving them a certain portion of my own royalties. It is pretty much impossible to pay all staff, however. It seems pretty silly to send two-dozen checks each month for $1.37 each.

Michael

Comment

> I have a MUD, where do I sign up for these freebie
              > worldbuilders? =)

Lots of places. Your web site. Your player base. The MUDConnector. TopMUDSites. Kyndig.

Anywhere that there are MUD-related forums including something called "Promotion" or "Advertise for Builders" or something like that.

None of the people you get that way expect to be paid, either. You don't get massive quantity and quality of building for nothing, but that's a given. Skotos seems to be having a certain amount of the same problem -- free hobbyist builders may often be very good, but they may not be routinely available or reliably schedulable. For that, you'd probably need to pay them. Who knew? :-)
              -----------
              noah_gibbs@yahoo.com

Comment

Working...
              X