Announcement

Collapse

ZEALOTRY Users: Critical Notice on Continued Use

Edit: Our new HTML5 client (Orchil) is now open for beta testing in The Eternal City and Grendel's Revenge. Feel free to try give it a whirl at http://test.skotos.net/orchil/

Edit: We have made great strides toward a new HTML5 client, which should offer a replacement to Zealotry. We're hoping to release that in the very near future, but in the meantime, using Pale Moon remains the best method for ensuring there is zero interruption to your game playing during the transition.

As of November 14, Mozilla will be auto-updating all copies of Mozilla Firefox to Mozilla 57, a new edition of their browser that will disable all legacy add-ons. This will probably include the majority of the plug-ins that you use on Mozilla, including the Skotos Zealotry plug-in.

This is a big problem for us because Zealotry is the most stable of our clients at this time, and the one that we believe is in the widest use. There's unfortunately no easy way to update it, because we'd have to rewrite it from practically scratch, using their new programming system.

There are tricks that you could use to to prevent Mozilla updates, but we don't particularly suggest them, as you want to have a clean, secure browser. Fortunately, there are two alternative browsers that will support Zealotry. Each of them branched off of an earlier version of Mozilla Firefox, and each of them continues to be updated for important security issues.

Pale Moon Browser

The Pale Moon browser is our suggested replacement. It is a totally separate browser that branched off of Firefox some years ago. It will continue to support the classic plug-ins.

To install it:
  • Install Pale Moon (Windows & UNIX only)
  • Install the Zealotry XPI on Pale Moon
  • Restart the Pale Moon Browser
  • Play on Pale Moon

The official version of Pale Moon only supports Windows and UNIX, but you can also get a slightly less official version of Pale Moon for the Mac. We've tested it out and it looks like it's clean and works correctly, but use your own level of caution in working with the Mac variant.

If You Have Errors

Some users are experiencing "Content Encoding Errors" when using Pale Moon and Zealotry. As best we can tell, this is due to an incompatibility between Windows 8.1, Pale Moon, and Plugins. If you have this problem (or any other), we suggest instead using Mozilla's extended-release version of Firefox, which branched at Firefox 52. It's expected to remain supported until at least June 28, 2018, by which time Mozilla is planning to jump their ESR to a post-plugin phase. This is therefore a short-term solution, but we expect to have full release of our New HTML5 client well before that.

To install it:
The Big Picture

Our larger-scale goal is to introduce a new client that will be usable on any browser and make our games generally more accessible. We've had a HTML5 client in process since last year, but are currently hitting roadblocks that make a deployment before November 14 problematic. We've also just started a second project, which would be more specifically focused as a Zealotry replacement, without worries about new bells or new whistles. Both of these possibilities are being done out-of-house, by Skotos players, but they're receiving our highest level of attention for whatever support they need, as this is all our top priority.

So, consider this a short-term fix, but in the meantime if you use Zealotry, please download one of the alternative browsers and test them out ASAP.
See more
See less

Testing the Waters for Interest in a Game I Proposed Today

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Testing the Waters for Interest in a Game I Proposed Today

Okay, I'll give a brief synopsis and then see what you think. I've read through many of the posts here, and they basically maintain that Skotos would prefer there to be a coder willing to help PRIOR to accepting the game, hence...why I seek. Of course, builders are MORE then welcome too!

Basic Idea

The year is 1859, the setting, Darbishire, in Victorian era England. Darbishire is a small village set in amongst the dark, gloomy hills of Northumbria.

You arrive in Darbishire by carriage, pulling up to a small but very quaint and well-maintained inn at the center of the small town. Are you awaited by one of the estates here? Or are you in search of a job, a home, anything? Do you have relatives to move in with? Or are you going to stay at the inn?

The estates of Darbishire Valley number four. The two most prominent of them are also the two that hate one another the most. Will you be forced to take sides between them? Or will you try to remain neutral in the divided town.

Are you single? Married? Widowed? Do you uphold the strict rules, both spoken and unspoken, of Victorian England? Does the gloomy, mysterious setting, and its equally mysterious setting chill you, or intrigue you?

Most important of all, will you find happiness and contentment in this new setting?

Admittedly, my thoughts are scattered and vague at the moment...but I don't want to give too much away!

If you are at all interested, please contact me by PMing this account, emailing me, or IMing me.

Thanks!

JEN

Email - jensrevolution@msn.com
    MSN - forbyden_kyss@msn.com
    AIM - jensrevolution
    PM - LadyDark
    ...~...~...~*** Sylver ***~...~...~...

"I forced myself to die a little inside just so I could cope with the horror show that is my life." - Sin's Puppet Master

It sounds like it could be an interesting setting, and you've got the basis of a good dramtic storyline there.

What you need to do next is outline what sort of activities players are going to pursue. Beyond social interaction, I mean. Me, if I were going to be hanging out in Darbishire I'd want to be able to explore the nearby moor (okay...no clue if there are actually moors in Northumbria or not, but you get the idea) or looking for secret passages in that old manor house. Others might want to ride in the fox hunt, or pursue crafts in the village, or ...?

The time the average player spends engaged in dramatic storytelling is only a fraction of the time spent in the game. The rest of it is filled with "day-to-day" activities that need to be just as interesting as the drama itself. The better you define them at the beginning, the better you'll be able to enable them during the design process.

Comment

*giggles* Knew I forgot something.

I plan to try, hopefully if the proposal gets accepted, to have the start-story have an option to choose your profession, which will dictate where your residence is.

For example:

Teacher = The home beside the school house
      Stable Boy = Shack above the stables
      Leatherworker = Room off of the stables
      Seamstress = Rooms in the Seamstress' shop.

I will elaborate upon the seamstress part. In the start story, you choose seamstressing as the trade you wish to join. The sets your residence automatically to the Seamstress Shop rooms. Salary for a novice includes room and board, plus a teeny bit more for other things. In the Seamstress shop, you begin to learn the trade, and work under the Seamstress. After so long, you can either continue to work under her, or you can break off and try to make your own business in the setting.

Same with all the trades.

Also, the estates of the valley are all very competitive for the respect and allegiance of the population, and thus run many events, such as lavish parties, lady-like teas, lectures, gatherings, hiring people for positions such as, but not limited to:

Governess
      Tutor
      HouseMaid
      Handmaids
      Bodyservants
      Personal tailors and seamstresses

It goes on and on in my head....

*babbles to herself more*

JEN

"I forced myself to die a little inside just so I could cope with the horror show that is my life." - Sin's Puppet Master

Comment

In your head is good. On paper is better!

Next question: how do characters improve their stature in the game? Not just in skills, but in position, rank, class, etc.

In Victorian society, there wasn't much opportunity for lower classes to move into the upper classes. All the beginning positions you list are trades or service. This will lead to a very one-sided community, unless you either 1) allow players to choose upper class roles at the start story or 2) break with historical reality and allow seamstresses to join the aristocracy.

There's no right answer, of course. You just need to decide how these things will work in your game.

BTW, I hope you don't mind my questions. I just want to help spur your thinking in the right directions. I also think it's a great opportunity for other potential builders to see what sort of things they need to think about when putting together a proposal.

Plus, the more we keep bumping this thread, the more people will see it and hopefully the more volunteers you'll get to join you.

Comment

*huggles* Yay! Thank you!

I had planned to have people chose possible roles IN the household estates, plus people can increase their rank, respect amd wealth by marriage, which brings in the whole idea of marriage for love, versus marriage for stature, arranged marriages, land ties, et cetera et cetera.

JEN

Also, moving up in the ranks of a trade, ie seamstressing or teaching...can also lead to better paying jobs, more renown, more contacts and more regard.

Yeah...I'm rambling at times.

>.> I do hope they at least consider the proposal. But even if they don't...it'll make a nice novel.

JEN again

Comment

A Victorian era setting could work very well, although I do admit I am partial to Victorian London over the countryside... then again, I wouldn't want to be the builder trying to recreate all of London.

The only things I would recommend are: nailing down your core ideas a bit better, deciding on exactly what skills/everyday activities will exist (as Staci mentioned), and deciding on a logical restriction in regard to movement within the gameworld. For the latter, I mean a restriction on why folks couldn't simply get on a horse and ride off to other towns. You don't really want a generic (can't find a horse/train, etc.) reason for restricting players to your setting, as it isn't very logical.

Regarding core ideas: is the game a mystery, a romance, purely historical? All or none of the above?

You can peek at one or two mushes for further ideas, if you like:
            Poddington-on-Slossip is set in 1920ish England, but it may be useful to you - http://www.grandiose.com/poddington/

London by Gaslight was another mush out there, but I believe it may now be dead. It had a nice concept, using literary figures from the Victorian era as one of its themes.

There are also plenty of books and films you can take a look at for examples of class differences in England, (Merchant/Ivory. etc.).

Finally, I would also recommend considering whatever coding restrictions you may have before writing up the proposal. If you are an excellent coder, or have very experienced coders already, you should be fine. If not, plan on simple professions/systems... perhaps incorporating Marrach's skill sets as much as possible. Not much point in writing up tons of fancy professions/skills/systems if there is no way to implement them (although you can certainly think about them).

Michael

Comment

*nods* I have pages and pages written on my computer, I just didn't want to post them publically, and I think Shannon would lynch me if I send any more emails to his inbox. He hasn't even replyed to the ones I sent.

It would be all of the above, because it draws from all of those elements in its plots and such.

I have enough coding experience to flounder through, and coder people I can pester for the hard-core stuff like a start story and such.

I also believe all of the skills would be cookie-cutter type set-ups to Marrach, with the similar system.

JEN

Comment

Oooh, is Poddington still around? I played there briefly ages and ages ago. *runs to check out the link*

Comment

Tried to sign up for it...afterwards I realised the last message on the Yahoo thing was from 2002.

Comment

Love it.

Comment

Me too, obviously.

Hence why I spend hours a day writing up stuff about it.

Comment

Yay! So far I have two people willing to learn and volunteer time into helping with the game so far!

Which means three people, one with a somewhat fair hand at coding.

JEN

Comment

I have to say the game sound just like CM except set in a different period of time.

I mean, CM has been very successful (at times) but from your descriptions I am not seeing much difference between the two.

How will the game be different than CM? If just the clothing is updated and you've moved the castle into a village, what other things will stand apart from CM?
                          For the Glory and Honor of our Queen

Comment

Currency and an economic system, along with the need to make a living.

Extreme lack of fantastical elements like fairies and sorcery and dwarves. Maybe the occasional ghost, but I'm tentative.

Professions and careers, which are chosen in the start story.

Marriage for wealth and not love.

Stricter caste system that is enforced.

Battling estates whose favour you need to gain.

Ettiquette and rules of behaviour that are strictly upheld. IE Women did NOT wear pants, nor did women do certain jobs, speak certain ways, et cetera. Men NEVER or rarely went anywhere alone with a woman unchaperoned.

Orphans and tenants and servants and workers.

Setting is also very different then Castle Marrach, and thus adds to the differences.

I could go on, if you wanted me to.

PM me if you wish me to do so.

JEN

Comment

It got accepted!

YAY!

Comment

Working...
                              X