Announcement

Collapse

ZEALOTRY Users: Critical Notice on Continued Use

Edit: Our new HTML5 client (Orchil) is now open for beta testing in The Eternal City and Grendel's Revenge. Feel free to try give it a whirl at http://test.skotos.net/orchil/

Edit: We have made great strides toward a new HTML5 client, which should offer a replacement to Zealotry. We're hoping to release that in the very near future, but in the meantime, using Pale Moon remains the best method for ensuring there is zero interruption to your game playing during the transition.

As of November 14, Mozilla will be auto-updating all copies of Mozilla Firefox to Mozilla 57, a new edition of their browser that will disable all legacy add-ons. This will probably include the majority of the plug-ins that you use on Mozilla, including the Skotos Zealotry plug-in.

This is a big problem for us because Zealotry is the most stable of our clients at this time, and the one that we believe is in the widest use. There's unfortunately no easy way to update it, because we'd have to rewrite it from practically scratch, using their new programming system.

There are tricks that you could use to to prevent Mozilla updates, but we don't particularly suggest them, as you want to have a clean, secure browser. Fortunately, there are two alternative browsers that will support Zealotry. Each of them branched off of an earlier version of Mozilla Firefox, and each of them continues to be updated for important security issues.

Pale Moon Browser

The Pale Moon browser is our suggested replacement. It is a totally separate browser that branched off of Firefox some years ago. It will continue to support the classic plug-ins.

To install it:
  • Install Pale Moon (Windows & UNIX only)
  • Install the Zealotry XPI on Pale Moon
  • Restart the Pale Moon Browser
  • Play on Pale Moon

The official version of Pale Moon only supports Windows and UNIX, but you can also get a slightly less official version of Pale Moon for the Mac. We've tested it out and it looks like it's clean and works correctly, but use your own level of caution in working with the Mac variant.

If You Have Errors

Some users are experiencing "Content Encoding Errors" when using Pale Moon and Zealotry. As best we can tell, this is due to an incompatibility between Windows 8.1, Pale Moon, and Plugins. If you have this problem (or any other), we suggest instead using Mozilla's extended-release version of Firefox, which branched at Firefox 52. It's expected to remain supported until at least June 28, 2018, by which time Mozilla is planning to jump their ESR to a post-plugin phase. This is therefore a short-term solution, but we expect to have full release of our New HTML5 client well before that.

To install it:
The Big Picture

Our larger-scale goal is to introduce a new client that will be usable on any browser and make our games generally more accessible. We've had a HTML5 client in process since last year, but are currently hitting roadblocks that make a deployment before November 14 problematic. We've also just started a second project, which would be more specifically focused as a Zealotry replacement, without worries about new bells or new whistles. Both of these possibilities are being done out-of-house, by Skotos players, but they're receiving our highest level of attention for whatever support they need, as this is all our top priority.

So, consider this a short-term fix, but in the meantime if you use Zealotry, please download one of the alternative browsers and test them out ASAP.
See more
See less

New Game Proposal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Game Proposal

Greetings,

I am very enthusiastic to present a new role-playing game to Skotos. I have enjoyed the opportunity of being apart of this magnificent community, and now hope to embark further in a relationship with skotos. While, we are waiting for the Game Masters of Skotos to read over my idea for a new addition to the community, I would greatly like to hear your comments and ideas about the game I would like to bring to you, the players.

Ars Arcana and the Land of Illusia

This world is told from the perspective of various cultural backgrounds; however, the eastern world is the main influence in this game.

If you are interested and would like to speak to me about this game, please feel free to contact me at OriginalsinM@hotmail.com or PM me.

OriginalSin
    The fruit that cast the knowledge for pleasure sake. Endless dreaming in re-approach to the nightmares one may face. --Originalsin

Land of Illusia

Illusia is a mystical land hidden by the mist of the ocean, ruled by Empress Amaya Kasumi and her husband, King Jarvis Tsuki. Once characters arrive on the shores of Illusia they are beckoned to partake in its epic tales of magic, secret, and conflict, becoming intertwined in the social hierarchy built on secrets from royalty to even the commoners. Characters wield their own destiny on the basis of their own ideals and beliefs. In the land of Illusia nothing is as simple as good versus evil; conflict arises from truth, secrets, and beliefs. Players must choose wisely what they will stand for.

Like the mist that conceals Illusia, so do secrets enfold every path, every journey in mystery waiting to be discovered. Much is unknown about the past and those who originally inhabited the island. The world of Ars Arcana is created upon the dreams and fantasy of each person that steps into its reality. They can take part in writing its history by become renowned warriors, influential leaders, and unlocking the hidden legends. It is an alternate world where people can live their own stories of adventure, magic, mystery, and ambition.

In the land of Illusia nothing is as simple as good versus evil; conflict arises from truths, secrets, and beliefs. Players must choose wisely what they will stand for. Will they worship the Gods as the holder of destiny, or will they believe that they are creator of their own path. The history of the land tells of the “Great War of Souls”. A mysterious ancient war between those of the living world and those in the realm of the Gods, one that may never see an ending. Why do so many secrets surround the past?

The land of Illusia is a place of ancient customs, mystery, and social hierarchy. Players will be wrapped on every level of interaction; social, political, personal, romance, trading/economical, mystery, and adventure.

Empress Amaya Kasumi and her Husband King Jarvis Tsuki rule the land of Illusia, maintaining the the balance and order. Not much is known of their origins. Most of the information passed along the land is based from speculation; however, it is believed the Empress serves as a connection between the living world and the Gods. If something should happen to her, who knows what chaos would ravage the land, possibly the world and every soul in existence. To add more opportunity for plot twists and favor, there is also a Prince and Princess among the ruling body. They will have authority over many aspects of the land, but to a limited capacity.
    Last edited by OriginalSin; 11-14-2006, 10:06 PM.
    The fruit that cast the knowledge for pleasure sake. Endless dreaming in re-approach to the nightmares one may face. --Originalsin

Comment

Illusia is a place where magic and fantasy are breathed into existence. Here you will find a forest of bamboo, Royal Castle, lakeside villages, school and tribe districts, market places, mountains, bandit camps, the great shores, underwater regions, deserts, farm and the grass lands. All comes under the rule of Empress Amaya Kasumi and King Jarvis Tsuki. It is a world of ancient secrets and lost civilazation. Influenced strongly by eastern world culture.

There are many secrets and mysteries that can be explored throughout Illusia. Players can test their critical thinking skills by solving the puzzles of the runes to discover rare artifacts and hidden knowledge, find their way through the mazes of the caves testing their combat/magic skills and gain unique treasure, or piece together clues laced behind stories, plots, and descriptions to unlock the truths and secrets about their world and even themselves.

Playing character(s) must find where they belong. They can travel across the lands battling foes to become a great warrior (even each other), pursue political power/position (will they be able to handle the pressure of deceit, secrets, favors, and lies that may lurk in the social classes) or simply fall in love and build a house and family (can they build a strong family bond in this strange land, and be tied to the failures and successes of those they care for). They can become scholars (compete against one another to be the best at what they do), journey through runes and caves, where danger lurks around every corner to unlock ancient secrets buried, or join an organization who stands for their beliefs against those who would challenge their ideals.

Every spectrum of storytelling will engage the interest of a wide verity of players. Each day, their characters will live and breathe as they do, like a story that has come to life. They may fight, learn, love, hunger, build, and destroy.
      Last edited by OriginalSin; 11-14-2006, 10:25 PM.

Comment

This is a wonderful premise. We lack a game based on Eastern influences. How seperated will the hierarchy be? Will the overall concept be more achievement based or roleplay based? Will this be a 'dynasty' with many eras to come?

The idea is intriguing. I look forward to seeing it. You (of course) can call upon me for assistance once the Skotos group approves it to move forward. Maybe one day we can have a "Ironclaw meets the East" game day!

Good luck getting approval and started. Have fun!
        ~StoryHost Death

Death@Ironclaw.Skotos.net
        Dragon Pieces

Originally posted by Plato
        Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws.

Comment

Sounds good dude. Do it! I'd really love a game like this.

Comment

How seperated will the hierarchy be? Posted by Death
            The Hierarchy will certainly not be the standard like you would see in Castle Marrach. True, there are some underlined similarities; however, we are approaching Illusia from a larger world setting and a different cultural backdrop. It will have interesting division of ranking according to whether it is of land or associated with Royalty. There will also be warrior and schalor ranking system implemented into the game, think about Shogun. The literary classic, Journey to the West, was major inspiration behind the idea of this game.

What do I mean?

There will be tribe leaders, who will rule over their section, or those equivalent to nobles of the land, appointed by those associated with Royality. We also have guardens, who would be to some fashion like samuria warriors, in some sense they are granted political ruling. Although, the Empress is the ruling head, she also must bend to the will of the guardens depending on the situation. This is because the Empress and the guardians act under the guidance of Gods. However, the Empress has the majority ruling power because she is of the gods, but it does not mean they will always agree, this is where we have room to play with the guardian's political role. Can players play guardens, yes, but for good reason it will be difficult to rise to that point. However, all Royal characters are played by staff to help ensure the balance of the gaming environment.

Yes, I absolutely love the idea of a female ruler. Castle Marrach did come in mind, but the bases behind this was the idea of when Japan was forming and its first ruler was actually a female by the name of, Himiko. Some of you anime fans may know a little about the story of Himiko. She was awesome!

Will the overall concept be more achievement based or roleplay based? Posted by Death
            I wanted to do a mixture of the two, I could not help it, but Zelda came in mind when I was thinking of the development of this game. I wanted to appeal to a diverse audience. Players can go on adventures to build their skills and they can also find those who can teach them, but if you want some really unique skills, I would suggest you go explore. People will have the option of diving into just the role-playing aspects of this game, gaining fame based on their achievements, or both. Ranking will not be soliterily political, we will also have a warrior and schalor statues. I hope some of you out there are interested in farming. People can choose to start a family or live in solitude. They can also build their home or business or travel from place to place. Some of you may like being a bandit and having your own group, who may rob travels or raid villeges, but be careful you don't get caught!

Will this be a 'dynasty' with many eras to come? Posted by Death
            It is my hope that as time progress the game will grow, seeing changes from how the society is ran to the technology created. It will be interesting to see how the architecture will also change over time. We will always have a ruling body, but how power is distributed will change.
            Last edited by OriginalSin; 11-15-2006, 08:50 AM.

Comment

IT sounds very exciting and I look forward to hearing and learning more about it.

Karen

Comment

Ooooooooh! This game sounds Wonderful! I hope it begins soon I am eager to play. Adventuring in the woods with hopes of getting lost, finding a tribe, and escaping them

Maria

Comment

~Land of Illusia ~ Have I got a game for you~

The Land of Illusia is a mystic place. A rich land of bright tropical flowers,Sandy beaches and a Mystery at every turn. Explore hidden tunnels,climb the rocky cliffs to the castle. It is a land of great beauty and hidden dangers. Enjoy the splendor of this fastinating place. Gaze down across the waters as they wash to the shore below the cliffs. A land ruled by the royal family. An exquisite Queen with great power. The King,A power in his own right. The Prince,A Masterful presence and very handsome.The Princess, An ethereal delight. The mix of many cultures makes it all the more intriguing. Come and visit us soon. You'll never want to leave.

Comment

I am greatly looking forward to this game! I hope that the Powers That Be at Skotos Headquarters approve it. Keep us updated, and I hope that the Alpha stage will be available soon for play.

-Claire
                    Lalaine Ciel
                    ~ Chambermaid to Her Ladyship Amoret
                    ~ Apprentice to Mistress Ermengarde
                    ~ Courtesy Circle Member
                    ~ Gardener, Almoner, Hairstylist
                    ~ First Counselor

Comment

This game sounds awsome. I cant wait, keep us posted.

Comment

This game sounds awesome. I really hope you get the approval. When you're ready for staff let me know. I don't know how to code but I can write descriptors. I can also come up with story plots when the time comes. Keep us posted on how things are going!

Comment

farming and studying and innovating tecnologies from and in keeping with what is available and in harmony with nature are all things that interest me very much more then the usual conflict so typicly rollplayed. i have for a very long time been looking forward to a context in which this would be possible.

like the little spirit creatures i love, i too, am a child of the forrest.

=^^=
                          .../\...

Comment

Just touching base again. We are still working on this idea and creating mind blowing story plots, here the things you experience, the limitations are only set by the imagination.

-Wonderful social role playing, where you can make and break relationships

- Advancement of both social and and skill ranking

- If you think you want to just blow off some steam and get away from it all, pack your stuff up and go on an adventure; see new villages, meet new people, discover a plot of land to call your own, find lost secrets, battle monsters, and much much more.

Comment

I absolutely love the idea!
                              Squeeeee!

Written in Northern is Clara Devreux, Nurse and Awakener, Servant of Her Majesty

Comment

Working...
                              X