Got An Idea For A Game?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got An Idea For A Game?

So you want to join the new Skotos 7? Think you have an idea you can turn into a game? Do you have a bunch of friends who are willing to help you with the work? Are you prepared for the work yourself?

Write your ideas. Ask your questions. I'm happy to help in any way that I can, from the perspective of someone who's been developing a socialization-based Grand Chat Theatre for a couple of months now.

Laurel

I do have an idea for a game, while the basic idea is not my own, I shall bring it to marrach.

So, a question every to-Be-StoryHost, Who do I tell?
    To conquer without risk, is to succeed without glory

Comment

Well, I hate to sound like I'm complaining and whinint, but why would I want to go to Skotos? From what I've read, and I admit I don't have anly levels in "leagaleze" my game would basically be Skotos, even if I packed up?

How many of the rights would I, personally, retain to my creation? If It took off like wildfire, and I wanted to make a pen and paper version, could I? With or without Skotos's blessing?

What advantages and disadvantages are there to working with Skotos? Advantages I can see are not having to pay for hosting, and having a base to build on, plus the advertising generated by Skotos (I've seen many a wonderfull MUSH stall and die for lack of players, too many to name)

The downside is would my work really be my own? Yes, I would get recgonition, and maybe even a little money for my work. On one hand I'd rather risk it on my own, but the realist in me says that, if accepted, Skotos would be the better way to go.

Would I also have to do my own recruting for programmers? (In other words, is Skotos just a host?)

Inquiring minds like mine want to know!

Comment

Curiousity

I was looking at all of the articals and the web-bits and pieces, but I have a serious thing to say. Some of us (Namely me), want to get into programming and MUD's and all of that, but from what I've seen, you have to send off a form, and to be honest, I dont want to have to send off some form which might not even get to where I want it to go. Plus the fact that I live in England, but that's another story

I have ideas for games and stuff like that, but that is my main concern. If possible, could someone E-Mail me at ChopWormy@aol.com - for a direct answer, since at the moment, I dont have much access to a computer.

Thanks.

Barbra - Jacicus's Player (Castle Marrach and The Eternal City

Jacicus Solambia
        Courtier of Castle Marrach
        Doctor of the Royal Healers
        Retainer to Lady Sinvy
        Fellow of the Royal Collegium

Comment

Bearfoot:The downside is would my work really be my own? Yes, I would get recgonition, and maybe even a little money for my work. On one hand I'd rather risk it on my own, but the realist in me says that, if accepted, Skotos would be the better way to go.
          I read up on the form as well awhile back, and If I recall correctly, you would get 10% of the profits made from your game.

When you get the 'Top 3 games you play' every month, The number of people that choose your game would presumably make up a math equation to figure out how much cash you'd get.

But don't quote me, I'm not staff, or even a StoryGod.
          To conquer without risk, is to succeed without glory

Comment

The money is one thing. What I mean is that if I create a game, let's call it "Heros for hire" Can I then create a series of novels based in the Heros for hire world? Or a pen and paper RPG? Besides, I've decided that due to lack of communication I'm taking my gameworld somewhere else. I don't know where, but somewhere eles.

Comment

I can only talk about my personal reasons for being a Skotos Storybuilder as opposed to a MUD developer somewhere else.

I really like the Skotos staff. They are friendly, patient, consistent and knowledgeable- that's a precious combination in the world of online RPGs. They are willing to spend time helping players create thier own games and provide the best tools they can to make that possible.

I really like having the freedom and responsibility to create a game and handpick the volunteers to work on it, as builders, coders and plotters. Whether or not my game is a success will hang pretty heavilly on the choices I make. That's the kind of challenge I'm ready for in my life.

Yes, you can create a game system or world for Skotos as a Chat Theatre and still make a pen&paper version or write novels- your game is still your intellectual property. The one thing you won't be able to do is create another chat based on the game or license it for another MUD/chat, etc.

And if you take your idea elsewhere, good luck in your endeavors!

Laurel

Comment

My main concern is that I've yet to recieve an official answer to my questions. If someone in charge would talk to me, I might reconsider my proposal. I'm sure they're good people, don't get me wrong, and I'm sure they have legitimate reasons for not answering my posts.

However, it gives me a distinct "vibe" that they don't care, really. In a word, it seems unprofessional to me. I hate to step on toes and seem obnoxous, but I'm going to call it as I see it.

If someone in charge reads this, my e-mail is Bearfoot@fidalgo.net I would really like to become part of the Skotos several. However, I need more infomration than what's given.

Please reply.

Comment

Have you thought to email ce@skotos.net directly?

Comment

Indeed, mail is the best method.

Shannon

Comment

Working...
                    X