Forum spam and ideas

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forum spam and ideas

I know people hate captcha, but the whole "what skotos game is based on whatever" type Q&A is not working for keeping spammers from making new accounts that can post spam. Spam has actually gotten WORSE since the update to VB 5.2.3 - and I think it might be time for the admins to implement a capcha system that works far better than a question/answer (which is easily enough bypassed it would seam. It is doing nothing to deture these spam posts.)

https://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/...ecaptchaverify

VBulletin's forums have captcha keys for free that should work well. Just a suggestion!
    Royal Chief of Medicine
    Courtier of Her Majesty's Royal Court

Yes. 12345

Comment

Originally posted by Dolph View Post
      I know people hate captcha, but the whole "what skotos game is based on whatever" type Q&A is not working for keeping spammers from making new accounts that can post spam. Spam has actually gotten WORSE since the update to VB 5.2.3 - and I think it might be time for the admins to implement a capcha system that works far better than a question/answer (which is easily enough bypassed it would seam. It is doing nothing to deture these spam posts.)

https://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/...ecaptchaverify

VBulletin's forums have captcha keys for free that should work well. Just a suggestion!
      Captcha actually works considerably less well than a unique Q&A. I've tried both on a few different sites.

I do agree that spam has gotten worse than the vB5 upgrade, and I'm hoping to figure out some better solutions for that, but unfortunately Captcha isn't it.

Comment

Originally posted by ShannonA View Post

Captcha actually works considerably less well than a unique Q&A. I've tried both on a few different sites.

I do agree that spam has gotten worse than the vB5 upgrade, and I'm hoping to figure out some better solutions for that, but unfortunately Captcha isn't it.
        Yep - I did a little research, and you're right - People are finding Captcha a bit more easy to crack than Q&A. I suppose that's out. I'll keep an eye out and see if anyone reports a better solution on other VB5 + forums
        Royal Chief of Medicine
        Courtier of Her Majesty's Royal Court

Comment

Is there any benefit to restricting a tough captcha that only humans can pass to, say...users with fewer than N posts, so that the majority who have already proven their humanity can sail smoothly?

Most of the spammers I see are one-posters that just rereg

Comment

I noticed a distinct increase in forum spam since some of Skotos' games started faring better on sites such as Top Mud Sites. At least, in Marrach's case, I noticed the same month we started showing up in the top ten (about a year ago) was the same time the spam bots got really bad.

Tonight I deleted 35 spam postings (3+ forum pages) that were made in the CM forums since this morning when I went to bed. On average I delete about 6 to 8 a day, though this is the second time this month we got over 30 in a single day. Whatever software VBulletin is using doesn't seem to be working too well.

I wonder if it might be possible to implement a "first post check", wherein a moderator has to approve the first post made by a new account before further posts can be made. Top Mud Sites uses a similar feature although it's not automated (new forum accounts have to email a moderator to be activated which could potentially be as much a hassle for moderators as simply deleting the spam).
            StoryHost Kurzon
            Castle Marrach Staff

kurzon@marrach.skotos.net

The destiny of the world is determined less by the battles that are lost and won than by the stories it loves and believes in.

Comment

Working...
            X