Flash Client

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flash Client

Feedback can be posted here for the Flash Client that is currently available for beta-testing for Castle Marrach players. Other games will follow as soon as I've polished the HTML/Javascript environment for each one.

-The map image in the lower right hand corner works, but the size of it doesn't seem to match where the arrows are. The image stretches further to the right than the arrows indicate as the edges. This may be caused by the map images being the wrong size, or something else.

- It also has a blue box around it (indicating that it's a link) - not sure if that'll be a problem for other games. It's not an issue for ICO

- font seems small and harder to read, although the size can be changed. Can the font type be changed?

- Logging seems to work well. Could it be turned on by default? Players have the option to purge the logs if they want to get rid of them, but don't have the option to create the logs if they didn't know they have to turn it on.

- Looks nice! I'm impressed.

Questions:
    - Does this work on both IE and FF? I assume so, since it's flash.

- Would it be possible to embed this into webpages ala youtube videos?

- Would it be possible to use this to connect to a game without logging into an account? (or by auto-logging-into a default account) (so we could make example games to entice players into signing up for a trial account. And then have players embed them into their webpages.)

Cheers!
    Mea squints at you, "For a magical nudist he sure is carrying lots of pie."

Comment

Originally posted by SHAzrael View Post
      -The map image in the lower right hand corner works, but the size of it doesn't seem to match where the arrows are. The image stretches further to the right than the arrows indicate as the edges. This may be caused by the map images being the wrong size, or something else.

- It also has a blue box around it (indicating that it's a link) - not sure if that'll be a problem for other games. It's not an issue for ICO

- font seems small and harder to read, although the size can be changed. Can the font type be changed?

- Logging seems to work well. Could it be turned on by default? Players have the option to purge the logs if they want to get rid of them, but don't have the option to create the logs if they didn't know they have to turn it on.

- Looks nice! I'm impressed.

Questions:
      - Does this work on both IE and FF? I assume so, since it's flash.

- Would it be possible to embed this into webpages ala youtube videos?

- Would it be possible to use this to connect to a game without logging into an account? (or by auto-logging-into a default account) (so we could make example games to entice players into signing up for a trial account. And then have players embed them into their webpages.)

Cheers!
      - I'll have a look at the map/compass bit. That's not really a client issue but a CSS/Javascript issue.

- The blue box is a CSS issue as well, will fix that ASAP.

- Font type preference setting is on the TODO list.

- I don't want to turn logging on by default because it has the potential to leave behind private information on computers at friends and other places where you guest-use a machine, without realizing it.

- Embedding would have to be in an iframe of some sort, which is not directly related to the client. Can't directly embed the flash object into a foreign page because of certain assumptions about javascript functions in the surrounding page and security issues.

- I have no solution for the "auto-logging into a default account" question, alas.

- It has been tested with Internet Explorer, Firefox, Safari and Opera.

Nino.

Comment

I like the new flash client. I only have one problem with it: It doesn't use the FF spell checker, and with my terrible spelling I need that. No, really, I -need- it. Don't suppose there's a way to fix that is there?
        Ximen: "Burn the heretic, purge the unclean, kill the abomination."
        Sang: "What happensssss happenssssss."
        Myrddin: "You, ah, you shouldn't really be, ah, doing that."

Comment

Originally posted by Magister View Post
          I like the new flash client. I only have one problem with it: It doesn't use the FF spell checker, and with my terrible spelling I need that. No, really, I -need- it. Don't suppose there's a way to fix that is there?
          No way that I'm aware of at the moment, alas.

Nino.

Comment

I've created a new version and made it the default.

The input field is now resizable, allows for multiple lines, and you should be able to copy and paste text (commands) into it.

Use shift + enter to manually insert newlines in the input field without sending it off to the server rightaway.

Comment

A new version of the Flash client will be put in place in a few minutes with these changes:
              • The client will now on start-up automatically show the Changelog dialog when the version is different from the last time.
              • Input field font size, text and background colors now follows the settings of the output section.
              • Clickable text sections use a more distinct color.
              • Made the cursor up/down (and ctrl + P or N, respectively) work more sensibly (or at least I think so).
              • Introduced a global preference setting for the number of lines in the input field.

Please test and report your bugs or other comments here.

Comment

A new version has been activated just now, with some minor fixes:
                • The output section line-wrapping can now be turned off, if you so desire. This is a local preference.
                • The current log session can not be purged (or emailed) and its checkbox is now disabled appropriately.
                • Link in Help - About dialog opens new window instead of replacing current frame.
                • Improve the text representation of nested lists in log sessions.

Comment

I'm having some difficulty finding all of the functionalities of this client.

Is it possible to change the font face, and the colour scheme?

I also notice changing the font to be about 12 point; occasionally it will reduce itself for no reason. I then go and change the font size to 16 point and it appears to be 12 in the output window. The input box always shows the actual set font size, so I have very large input text just so I can have readable output window.

Comment

Some comments after a few weeks of using it:

The input history (up arrow) has non-ideal behavior. If you scroll back to a previous entry (one that is not the most recent entry) and then re-execute it, that entry should now be the most recent item in the input history. It is not and stays at its current buffer position.

Scrollback in the output history is difficult to use, as any new entry in the output window automatically changes the window's focus to that entry. Thus it's near-impossible to review your output history in populated areas, or an area with an emitter, or if you have the time toggled on with @keepalive.

And I'm not sure if this is my computer, or flash, but copy&paste are ridiculously painful. I usually have to ctrl-c at least twice before it actually gets copied, and recently I've noticed that it isn't even copying the entire highlighted region. Copy works properly in every other application that I've tested.

All of the above were with the most recent Firefox 3-rc1 on Windows XP pro.

Comment

Font coloring from a copied bit of text elsewhere should not paste with it's original color, rather it should paste with the default font color scheme you've chosen for the client window you're pasting into. It's quite easy to paste text that appears invisible or near-invisible into your client. And best of all, that color then becomes your default text input color. You have to copy and paste a bit of text from your output window that's the correct color to set it back to your original. (Client A has black on white, client B is white on black. Copy text from one to the other; watch hilarity ensue.)

And I'm noticing in LC that the mini map image update can often lag several seconds behind the actual IG location of my character, something I never observed to this degree with Zealotry. Also (not sure if this is not some odd setting on my computer), clicking the mini map doesn't bring up a full map. The pop-up window opens, but it doesn't contain anything.
                      E's for the Evil that lures and entices;
                      F is for Fear and its many devices;

Comment

Theme error

Originally posted by Oliver White View Post
                        And I'm noticing in LC that the mini map image update can often lag several seconds behind the actual IG location of my character, something I never observed to this degree with Zealotry. Also (not sure if this is not some odd setting on my computer), clicking the mini map doesn't bring up a full map. The pop-up window opens, but it doesn't contain anything.
                        I have noticed the same thing in LP and I have also noticed an issue with the theme selection. I get this error when I select a theme "Error: Error calling method on NPObject! [plugin exception: Error in Actionscript. Use a try/catch block to find error.]."

Comment

Originally posted by Oliver White View Post
                          Font coloring from a copied bit of text elsewhere should not paste with it's original color, rather it should paste with the default font color scheme you've chosen for the client window you're pasting into.
                          This problem also occurs in the preferences window. If you're copying text from you client window, which is white on black, into the MACRO field of preferences window, it'll copy as white text onto the white macro background.

Comment

ICO player here, using the flash on FF3.0.

When I scroll up to read old messages, and someone posts, it changes my font size back to the default. (Or well, I think it's the default, That or the smallest size.)
                            Come visit: http://goldengate.niceboard.net/
                            We discuss Cooking, Music, Animated Television and Video Games.

Comment

Feedback on Macros. I liked how the macro text in the input buffer was the actual executed string, rather than the macro text (at least in Zealotry). E.g., I use 'd3d' for "dresser's 3rd drawer". So while I type 'open d3d', the client is executing "open dresser's 3rd drawer" and I would like my scrollback buffer to contain "open dresser's 3rd drawer" and not "open d3d". Makes it a bit easier to figure out why your macro with input strings is acting odd.

Also, I'm noticing that if you type quickly, you can infrequently get some really, really oddness. On occasion, if I execute a long string, say "Examine my satchel's ring's stone" and then very quickly after hitting enter I type something like "close my satchel", what appears in the input bar is "Examine my satchel's ring's stoneclose my satchel". This is fairly rare, but occurs often enough that I know it is happening (and isn't me just hitting arrow up accidentally.) EDIT: It occurs consistently when there's lag in executing the command. If the client is lagging a bit between the carriage return and the command being sent to the server, then anything new typed in that lag period will start text being appended to the previous command.

The HOME key. I'd like it if instead of going to the beginning of the line, it went to the beginning of the input string. I.e., your input text wraps to a 2nd line, home only takes the cursor to the beginning of the 2nd line, and you have to up arrow it to the start position.

UPARROW in the input buffer places the cursor at the beginning of the text string. DOWNARROW moves the cursor to the end of the text string. (Similarly, CTRL LEFT ARROW moves the cursor to the end of the word, while CRTL RIGHT ARROR moves the cursor to the beginning of the word.) It would be nice if all behaviors were consistent (up/down arrow had cursor at the end of the line; crtl left/right arrows always went to beginning of word.)
                              Last edited by Oliver White; 09-03-2008, 12:17 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X