Announcement

Collapse

ZEALOTRY Users: Critical Notice on Continued Use

Edit: Our new HTML5 client (Orchil) is now open for beta testing in The Eternal City. Feel free to try give it a whirl at http://test.skotos.net/orchil/

Edit: We have made great strides toward a new HTML5 client, which should offer a replacement to Zealotry. We're hoping to release that in the very near future, but in the meantime, using Pale Moon remains the best method for ensuring there is zero interruption to your game playing during the transition.

As of November 14, Mozilla will be auto-updating all copies of Mozilla Firefox to Mozilla 57, a new edition of their browser that will disable all legacy add-ons. This will probably include the majority of the plug-ins that you use on Mozilla, including the Skotos Zealotry plug-in.

This is a big problem for us because Zealotry is the most stable of our clients at this time, and the one that we believe is in the widest use. There's unfortunately no easy way to update it, because we'd have to rewrite it from practically scratch, using their new programming system.

There are tricks that you could use to to prevent Mozilla updates, but we don't particularly suggest them, as you want to have a clean, secure browser. Fortunately, there are two alternative browsers that will support Zealotry. Each of them branched off of an earlier version of Mozilla Firefox, and each of them continues to be updated for important security issues.

Pale Moon Browser

The Pale Moon browser is our suggested replacement. It is a totally separate browser that branched off of Firefox some years ago. It will continue to support the classic plug-ins.

To install it:
  • Install Pale Moon (Windows & UNIX only)
  • Install the Zealotry XPI on Pale Moon
  • Restart the Pale Moon Browser
  • Play on Pale Moon

The official version of Pale Moon only supports Windows and UNIX, but you can also get a slightly less official version of Pale Moon for the Mac. We've tested it out and it looks like it's clean and works correctly, but use your own level of caution in working with the Mac variant.

Mozilla Firefox ESR

An alternative for all users, but especially for Mac users, is Mozilla's extended-release version of Firefox that branched at Firefox 52. It's expected to remain supported until at least June 28, 2016, by which time Mozilla is planning to jump their ESR to a post-plugin phase. This is therefore a short-term solution, but one that should work for a while longer.

To install it:
The Big Picture

Our larger-scale goal is to introduce a new client that will be usable on any browser and make our games generally more accessible. We've had a HTML5 client in process since last year, but are currently hitting roadblocks that make a deployment before November 14 problematic. We've also just started a second project, which would be more specifically focused as a Zealotry replacement, without worries about new bells or new whistles. Both of these possibilities are being done out-of-house, by Skotos players, but they're receiving our highest level of attention for whatever support they need, as this is all our top priority.

So, consider this a short-term fix, but in the meantime if you use Zealotry, please download one of the alternative browsers and test them out ASAP.
See more
See less

More account options please?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More account options please?

http://forum.skotos.net/showthread.php?t=93685

Was browsing the forums and ran into this thread again. I would like to see Skotos offer accounts for individual games. Having tried most of the games Skotos has to offer as of right now the only game that interests me is The Eternal City.

An option to pay 4-5$ for an basic account and 14-15$ for a premium to play TEC only or all the other games from Skotos would be fantastic. I would gladly pay for a premium to gain the benefits, but as of right now we can only pay for a bundle of games for pretty high prices compared to other games in the industry. Even if we are drawing in more players with the Free to play accounts you aren't making any money from them.

At first you'll be earning less because of the price cuts or even more if people from basics are all upgrading to premium, but if people do use/play all that a bundled account has to offer it wouldn't change much. It's just good business to offer the same services to a wider variety of customers with different wallet sizes while gaining more paid players increasing playerbase which also is a plus. In my case I just don't want to pay so much for a single game that is ran mostly by volunteer GMs and filled with bugs that has been around for years, but a reasonable price to support the game that I like and have hopes for is doable.

Not sure about the profits Skotos is making, but I'm pretty sure it can only be going down every year with playerbases dwindling. Offer these single account options to games that is earning less like GR and TEC to test and see how well they'll do, and maybe move onto other games depending on the results.
    Originally posted by Sceadu
    It WILL be monitored.

I support this idea to an infinite amount. I only play one game regularly, Grendel's Revenge, and right now I take advantage of the free account. If I were able to pick only that game to play at the cost of $5 or so for a Basic account, I would pay it and probably reactivate my second account while I'm at it.
    <Zetsu the Vampire grumbles: [ GR's like meth... you try it once and for the next 10 years you're still hooked to it no matter how bad it gets ]>

Comment

Id sign up for a year of premium if it was TEC only and costed a shi load less. In the same boat as probably most people, only play 1 game and have to pay for the whole of Skotos...
      Argued with GM Tale on forums.
      Character wakes up with 2hp and 2 fatigue, mangled face.
      Skotos didn't care.

Originally posted by Elowynn
      It's not a good sign if glenh makes more sense than you, L.
      Originally posted by Tale
      My apologies to Glenh.

Comment

I moved to Skotos with TEC. Played TEC since 2000 when the moved here. I bounce between GR and TEC (In my GR phase atm). I've tried Marrach, Ironclaw, etc. the only game besides GR and TEC I would play on the regular is Hegemony which feels like i have to pull teeth across the skotos forums to get a game going. I would love the idea of paying for games individually instead of a blanket system which honestly is over priced. $30 for premium. I could pay for two visually stimulating mmorpg's for the same price. And GR, the game I play the most, all of the perks are vastly higher priced than TEC or any of the other games availible.

Comment

Originally posted by glenh View Post
          Id sign up for a year of premium if it was TEC only and costed a shi load less. In the same boat as probably most people, only play 1 game and have to pay for the whole of Skotos...
          Would like to see a discount for yearly or quarterly subscriptions as well.
          It WILL be monitored.

Comment

Originally posted by Giant View Post
            Would like to see a discount for yearly or quarterly subscriptions as well.
            I think they already have that.

Comment

Originally posted by shentino View Post
              I think they already have that.
              Right there is a discount right now for the bundles, what I meant was for the single game accounts I'm suggesting.

Shiloboy
              Give an extended trial at maybe $6.00 a month for six months for one slot in TEC after the 1 month free trial. This is a good idea. This is something I can possibly get people to do. It's hard to get friends to consider playing a Text based game in the first place, in the world of PTP games like Wow and Xbox subscriptions. Give us some time to get them fully immersed in the Game!

View Conversation

Reparte Pagnes
              07-31-2009 04:52 PM
              Reparte Pagnes
              TEC takes so long for people to get hooked that a one month free trial really isnt enough to get new people, make older players try it once again. A fresh marketing ploy give an extended trial at maybe $6.00 a month for six months for one slot in TEC.
              There are profile conversations people started on ShannonA's profile awhile back. I guess this isn't the first time something like this has been suggested... Just like the TEC suggestion/mechanics forum, Ideas just get suggested over and over again in the past decade, but gets ignored or rejected.
              It WILL be monitored.

Comment

Yeah, it probably won't go anywhere. And with games like Runescape and WoW being free to play, the fact that Skotos still exists I think is ridiculous.

Comment

We currently assume that most players are just playing one game. The ability to look at other games is a free benefit.

If we did change the model, financially we'd have to go in the opposite direction, and charge more for multigame accounts, but we don't have any intent to do so currently.

There *is* a discount for both quarterly and yearly subscriptions.

Comment

Originally posted by ShannonA View Post
                    We currently assume that most players are just playing one game. The ability to look at other games is a free benefit.

If we did change the model, financially we'd have to go in the opposite direction, and charge more for multigame accounts, but we don't have any intent to do so currently.

Thank you for the response.
                    It WILL be monitored.

Comment

Originally posted by dragonne View Post
                      Yeah, it probably won't go anywhere. And with games like Runescape and WoW being free to play, the fact that Skotos still exists I think is ridiculous.
                      It says a lot of good about Skotos and the people that love its games. Though we're a small community, I know there'd be many people flat-out crushed if it were to disappear. I'm fine with paying what I am to make sure that doesn't happen.
                      -Usuichii, Great Scientist.

Smarmy the Titan bellows to you, "You look almost like an Ugly."

Blackhand the Orc grumbles: I don't know what to call you. No ugly is that vile, and no proper creature of Uthgol has ever had such a lack of honor!

Usuichii 1, Usuichii 2

Comment

I will be quite happy to buy an account and play for fun as soon as I pay off my thousand dollar credit card balance.

Comment

This thread gets my approval. I only play 1 game, a second very irregularly and would like to see this implemented

Comment

Originally posted by ShannonA View Post

I don't want that free benefit. I want to pay for what i want/get.

You know most people only play one game. You won't change it to cost less for one game. Wonder why?

Why do you have to charge more for multi-game accounts? If Premium for TEC was $10 a month instead of $30, and Grendels was $10, and Castle was $10. I could say well hey, i only play TEC and Grendels, i'll spend the $20 and go premium on them.

But you assume/know you will lose too much money. Most people don't subscribe just because of the price, if it was lower for the one game (as i just posted above) i know alot of people would subscribe. Hell if TEC alone was $10 premium i would sign up a year today...
                            Skotos didn't care.

My apologies to Glenh.

Comment

And 2 months later. Noone cares. Other graphical free to play games are seeming to win. I know for one i'm logging in less and less lately. Mainly due to the censorship of the forums and people not being able to voice their opinion's without threats of their accounts (both forum and in game) getting deleted.

That and the constant disregard towards pricing.
                              Skotos didn't care.

My apologies to Glenh.

Comment

Working...
                              X