*cries over scroll*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• *cries over scroll*

Okay, I am five seconds from being rather annoyed with the scroll system. I think it must be a bug, and I logged it as a bug, but because it is still happening, I am posting. I don't know what else to do.

Over the past three weeks, I have had non-stop glitches/bugs/oddities, and all around annoying things happening with scrolls I am both recieving, and sending. I shall list the most regular happenings here:

1) Numerous scrolls that I recieve (approx. 1 in 3) are addressed, and signed. They have no text, however.

2) Scrolls that I write, address and sign seem to mysteriously erase themselves. I have checked logs of this happening. I actually re-read the exact missive, then give it to a courier. Ten moments later, I get paged by someone who has recieved *That* missive from me with a signature and addressee, with no text.

3)I actually *found* A scroll that I had sent to a PC, addressed and signed, on the ground. I had given it to the courier, again, logged. An hour later, I found it on the floor, no signature, no addressee. But Obviously I knew it was my scroll.

Someone please help. This is bad for playing, for obvious reasons, and is really starting to frusterate me. I do a *lot* of scroll business because of all of the things I need to coordinate in game, and if the mail isn't getting through, it's going to screw me over in the long run.

Thanks.
    -Jen
    ~Isaria~
    Handmaiden to Her Majesty
    Acolyte Natura

The only think I can think of if you are not using 'write on MY 3rd scroll' etc consistently, then you can invariable write over scrolls, etc etc. For example if you are in a room with a scroll and type 'write on scroll' it will (or at least did) default to the scroll IN the room, not the one you are holding.

Otherwise, it sounds very odd.

Has anyone else had problems like this? I've not heard any reports.

If you have a specific log, let us know. Unfortunately I'm not too sure how much debugging can be done, but if there are errors being logged into the system, it can be looked into.

All I can say is do a last 'read my 3rd scroll ' before you give that scroll to a courier to make sure you have it properly written out on your end.

--Felis

Comment

I was recently interacting with another player who was reading a scroll he had received when he said something about the scroll being weird. I asked him what he meant and he proceeded to recite the scroll to me. I read what he recited to me and couldn't see anything wrong and he said again that something was really weird and handed me the scroll to read for myself.

Anyway....I read the scroll and the message (not a long one by any means) was truncated and stopped midsentence. When he had read the scroll the first time , it was that fact had made him proclaim the scroll as 'weird'. However, when he recited the scroll, the entire message came up, including what had been truncated. When he handed the scroll to me to read, and I did the 'read my scroll' command, I got the same partial message he had gotten the first time.

Soooooooo.......if you get a scroll that is only a partial message or perhaps lacks text at all, try the 'recite my scroll' command and see if that works.

Who knows ??

~Donna~

Comment

I got one about a fortnight ago that was just addressed and signed, too. Didn't try the recite trick, tho....

Comment

Okay, I have to comment about this too!
          I have had 5 scrolls come back to me this past week because there was no text on them or half of it was missing or something. I write tons of scrolls and I have gotten so used to them never being received I don't even write them in the system anymore. I open a new window and on the first line will type address my # scroll to whoever.. and do the whole thing like that to be cut and pasted into the client window so I know it's being done. Then I re-read all of my scrolls to make sure I didn't misst anything, yet I'm still having troubles.

This is a bad thing for someone who writes about 3 scrolls a day minumum. And it is quite frustrating. I beg somoene to check this out and see what can be done!

Holly
          Equerry to Lady Hieronyma
          Adjunct-Prosecutor (Acting)
          Master Jeweler

Comment

When I write scrolls I do it in a paragraph form in on big block fo commands from a .txt file. like this:

Address my first scroll to "Jean-Bob"
            write on my first scroll "Ser Jean-Bob,"
            write on my first scroll ""
            write on my first scroll "You stink!"
            write on my first scroll "Not just regular stink ..."
            write on my first scroll "I mean you reak..."
            write on my first scroll "I think Quilp's toe funk smells better than you."
            write on my first scroll "~Courtesy~Respect~Consideration~"
            write on my first scroll ".:: Y ::."
            sign my first scroll

Logic would say that it should read on the scroll as follows:

It is adressed to Jean-Bob
            It reads:
            Ser Jean-Bob,

You stink

Not just regular stink ...

I mean you really reak...

I think Quilp's toe funk smells better than you.

~Coutesy~Res[ect~Consideration~
            .:: Y ::.
            It is signed by Yaoi.

BUT NO THAT WOUDL BE LOGICAL INSTEAD I READ:

It is addresses to Jean-Bob
            It reads:
            Ser Jean-Bob,

You stink!

Not just regular stink...

It is signed by Yaoi

I know for a fact that this has happened to a lot of my scrolls wit it eaither cuttign off at a specific character or at a carriage return.The entire message only shows itself if you recite the scroll.I've also recieved three scrolls that I can remember only being adressed to me and signed.

~Hope that helped if not ignore me~
            kai
            [Signed with a simple yet all too elegant and over-the-top Y]
            .::Y::.

Comment

If you have a scroll that reads wrong every time (i.e. you read it a couple of times and its always wrong, recite it and its always right), then please don't erase or reuse the scroll. File an assist so a coder or Zell can take a look a tthe scroll. Without some broken ones its much harder to narrow down what's wrong.

StoryGuide Marath

Comment

*Grin*

You're probably going to wish you hadn't said that. There are tons of these scrolls floating around, and there are more being made everyday.

I imagine there will be a whole whack of assists soon.

-Michél
                Tyr Gunn
                Lieutenant of the Queen's Regular Army

Comment

Yesss!

Woo hoo!

I'm not alone!

-Jen
                  ~Isaria~
                  Handmaiden to Her Majesty
                  Acolyte Natura

Comment

Originally posted by Yaoi
                    BUT NO THAT WOUDL BE LOGICAL INSTEAD I READ:

It is addresses to Jean-Bob
                    It reads:
                    Ser Jean-Bob,

You stink!

Not just regular stink...

It is signed by Yaoi
                    I noticed that on some of mine that if I used the tilda ~ as the first character of a line that that line would 'not' show up, I did not however try to recite it after. So maybe something wrong with using the tilda??

Comment

Originally posted by StoryGuide Marath
                      File an assist so a coder or Zell can take a look a tthe scroll. Without some broken ones its much harder to narrow down what's wrong.
                      There's lots of information in the postings above -- I'll be taking a look at this later this evening. I -really- want scrolls to work reliably, and it sounds like they are in fact working exceedingly unreliably...

Apologies. More later.

Zell

Comment

I have noticed one scroll issue that comes up if you use TEC/GR style numbering when writing scrolls.

In TEC and Grendel's Revenge, you refer to items by number, i.e. "claw 2 troll" would claw the 2nd troll or "get 5 armor" would get the 5th armor item.

However, the word "one" has a special significance in Marrach -- it means "an random single one". For example, you can say "get one clothing" it will pick not the first clothing, but a random clothing object from all the clothing.

Thus if you type "write 1 scroll" like you might if you had the TEC/GR style habit, it will convert internally to "write one scroll" and then it will pick a random scroll to write to.

-- Christopher Allen

Comment

Originally posted by Zell

There's lots of information in the postings above -- I'll be taking a look at this later this evening.
                          Fixed.

It was very simple -- the text output was truncated at the first quotation mark -- just stupid code on my part.

I have to slightly scold Yaoi for authoritatively supplying the example above that could not in fact have triggered this bug, and thus proved a bit of an obstacle in the bug hunt. :-)

In general, when you give information to somebody hunting bugs, restrict yourself to facts and if you indulge in conjecture, label it clearly.

Thanks to Watchman Gunn for keeping a buggy scroll and to Hannah for hooking me up with him. :-)

Zell

Comment

Working...
                          X