Learning Skills Problem

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Learning Skills Problem

Ok, I have been taught the thrust skills about 4 times now and I am still at Senior Apprentice (slight training)... Now, from what I have researched on the past posts on this board, if I had failed each time, I should not be at slight training anymore.

After 4 tries (and I assume all failing)...

#1: Senior Apprentice (slight training)
    #2: Senior Apprentice (advanced training)
    #3: Fellowcraft
    #4: Fellowcraft (slight training)

Now, has what I read from past posts changed or is my char supposed to be at Fellowcraft with slight training, as I assume from my reasearching?

Um... Uh... What?

It depends. Every time you are taught there is a chance of you going up a little, a whole rank, or not at all. It's mostly luck.
    Lovecraft Country: Albert Zero
    Castle Marrach: Cody the Blade

StoryCoder Azrael tells StoryHermit Death, "I *did* get told "you're amazing" by a girl when I was saucing my hotdog..."

Comment

Sometimes it'll take you 10 tries to get your rank up, sometimes one. Quite a bit of luck involved, as well as the teaching level of your teacher and their level of skill with the subject they are teaching.
      kristine@iskl.edu.my
      http://www.iskl.edu.my/~kristine/
      MSN: kristinejct@hotmail.com

Comment

I surely had some 20 Eastern lessons in my day, am on Advanced Training now, but still haven't managed to pick up the skill. Other languages went much smoother for me...

It's a bit of a gamble.

Have a nice day.
        'If you're going through hell, keep going.'
        -- Winston Churchill

POLITENESS, n.
        The most acceptable hypocrisy.
        -- Ambrose Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary

'Hitler had a good 20 to 30 IQ points on Bush, so comparing Bush to Hitler would in many ways be an insult to Hitler.'

Comment

Ahhh, then what I read wasn't very clear at all... I'll look for it again and post it later.

Comment

What was originally said about skill raises was this:

First, the chance to go depends on your skill, your teachers skill, and you teachers teaching. Are you learning frompeople with teachings of novice? Or journyman?

Second, after seeing how the system worked in practice, skotos added the partial levels The intention was to use the partial levels as a safety net. At some point, no matter what, you'll go up.

So, fret not on not going up after 4 whole lessons. If you're learning from people with middling teachings, I find it can easily take 6-10 lessons to guarentee increase (the messages are different).

-=- Matt

Comment

Ahhh, ya... I read something else... but that one makes more sense.

Comment

Matt,

Mechanics question: Do "partial levels" increase the chance of success, or are they an indpendent mechanism?

Comment

Answer: No.

Only full skill ranks impact mechanics.

StoryCoder Azrael tells StoryHermit Death, "I *did* get told "you're amazing" by a girl when I was saucing my hotdog..."

Comment

Also correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the partial levels as follow:
                    slight training
                    some training
                    considerable training
                    Help me out on this here I'm treading on ice that I haven't treaded on before
                    With Respect,
                    - Ser Mainge the Wanderer
                    - Awakener & Rememberer

- The quiet ones change the world, the loud ones just take the credit.
                    - Forgotten Ambassador

Comment

Partial levels are:

slight training
                      some training
                      considerable training
                      advanced training

Also, you can be at each training level 1-5 times based on teaching ability and luck.

Jenn
                      Elea Clearlight
                      Apprentice to Lady Serista
                      Sorcery Classes

Comment

Or longer if you're Catharsis.

Comment

Well damn my luck then! It took about 5 times to get to some training in thrust.

I really should read over my posts a second time... It toon about 5 times? YEESH!

Comment

Amen.

Much longer if you are me. Much.

*sigh*

Comment

Did Cath break my record of 25 lessons to advance in one skill yet?

Comment

Working...
                              X