Announcement

Collapse

ZEALOTRY Users: Critical Notice on Continued Use

Edit: Our new HTML5 client (Orchil) is now open for beta testing in The Eternal City and Grendel's Revenge. Feel free to try give it a whirl at http://test.skotos.net/orchil/

Edit: We have made great strides toward a new HTML5 client, which should offer a replacement to Zealotry. We're hoping to release that in the very near future, but in the meantime, using Pale Moon remains the best method for ensuring there is zero interruption to your game playing during the transition.

As of November 14, Mozilla will be auto-updating all copies of Mozilla Firefox to Mozilla 57, a new edition of their browser that will disable all legacy add-ons. This will probably include the majority of the plug-ins that you use on Mozilla, including the Skotos Zealotry plug-in.

This is a big problem for us because Zealotry is the most stable of our clients at this time, and the one that we believe is in the widest use. There's unfortunately no easy way to update it, because we'd have to rewrite it from practically scratch, using their new programming system.

There are tricks that you could use to to prevent Mozilla updates, but we don't particularly suggest them, as you want to have a clean, secure browser. Fortunately, there are two alternative browsers that will support Zealotry. Each of them branched off of an earlier version of Mozilla Firefox, and each of them continues to be updated for important security issues.

Pale Moon Browser

The Pale Moon browser is our suggested replacement. It is a totally separate browser that branched off of Firefox some years ago. It will continue to support the classic plug-ins.

To install it:
  • Install Pale Moon (Windows & UNIX only)
  • Install the Zealotry XPI on Pale Moon
  • Restart the Pale Moon Browser
  • Play on Pale Moon

The official version of Pale Moon only supports Windows and UNIX, but you can also get a slightly less official version of Pale Moon for the Mac. We've tested it out and it looks like it's clean and works correctly, but use your own level of caution in working with the Mac variant.

If You Have Errors

Some users are experiencing "Content Encoding Errors" when using Pale Moon and Zealotry. As best we can tell, this is due to an incompatibility between Windows 8.1, Pale Moon, and Plugins. If you have this problem (or any other), we suggest instead using Mozilla's extended-release version of Firefox, which branched at Firefox 52. It's expected to remain supported until at least June 28, 2018, by which time Mozilla is planning to jump their ESR to a post-plugin phase. This is therefore a short-term solution, but we expect to have full release of our New HTML5 client well before that.

To install it:
The Big Picture

Our larger-scale goal is to introduce a new client that will be usable on any browser and make our games generally more accessible. We've had a HTML5 client in process since last year, but are currently hitting roadblocks that make a deployment before November 14 problematic. We've also just started a second project, which would be more specifically focused as a Zealotry replacement, without worries about new bells or new whistles. Both of these possibilities are being done out-of-house, by Skotos players, but they're receiving our highest level of attention for whatever support they need, as this is all our top priority.

So, consider this a short-term fix, but in the meantime if you use Zealotry, please download one of the alternative browsers and test them out ASAP.
See more
See less

Logging in with an IPad?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Logging in with an IPad?

Is there a way to log into Marrach using an ipad? Safari doesn't support Flash, nor am I able to download Firefox. I downloaded SkyFire which touted it's ability to use Flash, but it is not working either. Any suggestions?
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]temp_107_1461888285888_305[/ATTACH]

Download the Pocket MUD app. It's pretty crappy to my experience, though. Granted, I've only used it with iPhone. The address is Marrach.skotos.net and the port is 443.

Comment

Wow, pretty basic. But it worked. Thank you!

Comment

awesome. Was just wondering this myself since I'm inheriting an iPad in a month

Comment

I use pocket mud (bought it just for Marrach) but I tend to only use it for logging in to contact someone via page or small rp's. Get stuck in a room full of people, and you'll be in pain :P
          Royal Chief of Medicine
          Courtier of Her Majesty's Royal Court

Comment

Hm, so I see! And here I was thinking I was a genius for taking along my ipad with keyboard case on my trip instead of my laptop. Go figure. Well, see you all Monday then. <.<

Comment

I only use the app mentioned to check scrolls and do small, one person RP sessions. Maybe to page someone too. But it's horrible in a room with over even 3 people.
              Adriana~

Comment

Originally posted by Leodegrance View Post
                Hm, so I see! And here I was thinking I was a genius for taking along my ipad with keyboard case on my trip instead of my laptop. Go figure. Well, see you all Monday then. <.<
                With a keyboard it might not be so bad, but I don't see why you'd rather take that than a laptop - and get the Zealotry experience :P
                Royal Chief of Medicine

Comment

Originally posted by Dolph View Post
                  I don't see why you'd rather take that than a laptop - and get the Zealotry experience :P
                  Well, I have never tried to play from an ipad! I presumed Flash would work, nope. I then supposed surely I could download Firefox... nope. Last time I make this mistake!

Comment

Well, I have never tried to play from an ipad! I presumed Flash would work, nope. I then supposed surely I could download Firefox... nope. Last time I make this mistake!
                    Flash? On an Apple product?

Now you're dreaming
                    Royal Chief of Medicine

Comment

>.> This is my first Apple product. Everything else has been/is Android. But the Android tablet just didn't have the functionality of the iPad. So my significant other switched, raved about it, and I switched too. Yeah, well it's great. Except for videos and Marrach. Oh well, I have lots of games downloaded. But nothing quite so addicting as Marrach.

Comment

>.> This is my first Apple product. Everything else has been/is Android. But the Android tablet just didn't have the functionality of the iPad. So my significant other switched, raved about it, and I switched too. Yeah, well it's great. Except for videos and Marrach. Oh well, I have lots of games downloaded. But nothing quite so addicting as Marrach.
                        Agreed - I love the iPad. The lack of flash is just a minor setback. I mean, I have an iPhone and I used to have the EVO 4g. I absolutely LOVE my iPhone
                        Royal Chief of Medicine

Comment

The Flash client works with the Puffin broswer for iPad. It has some client interface issues, but it does work.

Pocket MUD Pro also seems to work pretty well.

StoryPlotter Geist
                          geist@marrach.skotos.net

Comment

So if you updated Pocket Mud lately and hadn't updated to iOS 6, the app won't work any more.

*eye shift*

Anyone expecting J to be around, well, not until I can update iOS from wifi. Sorry peeps.
                            Valet to the Consort

Comment

update: itelnet is a lovely app with a font I find easier to read. sweet.

also, emailed Pocket MUD guy and got a great reply:

"Thank you so much for the contact in an email (rather than in a 1 star review). *I am VERY sorry for the issue and have already submitted an update to resolve it. *Apple is on about a 5 day approval time right now. *Please accept my sincerest apologies and thanks again for being awesome enough to actually email me."

Maybe I'll ask him to give font options (perhaps there are, I just can't see them on an app that won't load) to Pocket MUD. Cool guy.
                              Valet to the Consort

Comment

Working...
                              X