Duel 2.1 Update, Roleplay Mode

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duel 2.1 Update, Roleplay Mode

As of today I am releasing "roleplayed mode" for Marrach's dueling system, bringing us up to Duel 2.1. Roleplayed mode is an alternate form of the dueling script designed to remove all tempo/timing factors on the outcome of the match. It is ideal for...
    • ...large scale multi-person duels that quickly become spammy or unrealistic in terms of targeting and keeping up with emits.
    • ...integrating other systems such as @ranged or @melee into an RP'd duel where they would normally be disregarded by necessity during timed fights.
    • ...use for those simply wishing to emote out and roleplay their fighting scenes of roleplay teaching/using real sword techniques in their duels.

Roleplayed mode is engaged by adding the evoke "roleplay" when using the @fight command: @fight "roleplay

While in this mode, the following alterations are observed;
    • The stance in which you strike your opponent is irrelevant. In roleplayed mode, a character's defensive roll is the sum average of their five defensive skills; guard, recover, attacking, rest, dodge. Attacking a character while resting is exactly the same as attacking them while in the guard stance. This is in effect to remove the necessity to time one's attacks, instead focusing on typing out emits and roleplaying the fight.
    • All basic attack types (cut/thrust/feint) and special attacks (lunge/cleave/disengage/dualstrike) now deal the same amount of base damage, so it is not more advantageous to use slower, harder-hitting attacks in this system where slow attack speed is no longer a penalty.
    • The rest skill no longer functions, and all attacks deal higher fatigue damage than they do in the tempo version of Duel 2.0. This is to combat a problem common to the old dueling code wherein roleplayed duels often took an extremely long time.
    • The frequency with which you can attack an opponent is limited by your Recover dueling skill. At the start of each combat round, every character is given several "attacks" to use however roleplay dictates, once all available attacks are used you cannot continue to attack until all other combatants involved in the duel have used up their available attacks. This is to prevent fast typers or "attack spamming" to give one combatant an unfair advantage as was known to happen in RP'd duels.
    • The number of special attacks (lunge/cleave/disengage/dualstrike) per round of attacks is limited by the number of different special attacks available to the fighter. A fighter using just a longsword would be granted 1 special attack that turn round (cleave) whereas a fighter using a rapier would be granted 2 special attacks (lunge and disengage). This is to simulate the advantages of using weapons or weapon combos with multiple special attacks in a timed duel that otherwise would be of no advantage in an RP'd duel (and thus make 2 hand weapons with passive bonuses the advantageous weapon for any RPd duel).
    • If any adverb is used when emitting an attack, the coded attack will not trigger. IE: 'swiftly cut at Bob' will emit that action, instead of automatically triggering a cut attack as it does in regular timed duels.

StoryHost Kurzon
    Castle Marrach Staff

kurzon.marrach@outlook.com

The destiny of the world is determined less by the battles that are lost and won than by the stories it loves and believes in.

Wow. We have come a HUGE way since the original system. Awesome work!
    Royal Chief of Medicine
    Courtier of Her Majesty's Royal Court
    Avowed Seeker of the Faith

Comment

So... Winter is coming?

Comment

So, if I understand this well, you can still use Duel 2.0 by not adding "roleplay" after @fight if you are in the mood to fight duels the old way, but if you are in the mood to write your emits out, you go the Duel 2.1 way? Or is Duel 2.0 now completely disabled?
        Proud member of: WWMHSBA

"Why don't you all just go submit some plots where you can get pregnant, give birth to you own alt as an annoying child character, have it grow up to be a drama queen, and then you can use IC/OOC crossover to hide the goods you stole and escape from the dungeon that you're locked in due to a badly run rape plot?!" - Age

Comment

Just tried this and the turn refreshed after them spamming all of there attacks before letting a counter with out a move on my end.

Comment

Originally posted by Gabs View Post
            So, if I understand this well, you can still use Duel 2.0 by not adding "roleplay" after @fight if you are in the mood to fight duels the old way, but if you are in the mood to write your emits out, you go the Duel 2.1 way? Or is Duel 2.0 now completely disabled?
            Both modes still function, yes, and the regular mode will still likely be used by most.

Originally posted by Tatch View Post
            Just tried this and the turn refreshed after them spamming all of there attacks before letting a counter with out a move on my end.
            It wasn't doing so during testing, I'll take a look.
            StoryHost Kurzon
            Castle Marrach Staff

kurzon.marrach@outlook.com

The destiny of the world is determined less by the battles that are lost and won than by the stories it loves and believes in.

Comment

Played around with this a bit today. It's -definitely- strange, compared to real dueling. You get a set number of moves, and once used, you cannot go again, And when person two goes, he'll get to use his attacks, the round resets, and person two an keep going with their attacks. It gives the opportunity of someone getting 4 attacks in a row, (or several more in some cases), and since combat, rest, and defense are all different, its abusable to give higher chances of winning. It gives a strong advantage to people that wouldn't have one otherwise if they have a little martial training.

Not sure if there's a way to force roleplayed turns, more like mccombat I suppose. But i'm not sure I'd want to use it quite yet.

Comment

*little bump*

Comment

I didn't know this was an option.

I think I have a crush on Kurzon's code.

Comment

*intentionally bumped*
                    Acolyte of the Faith
                    Courtier
                    Embinders Hobbyist
                    Junior Equerry to her Ladyship Sinvy
                    Lead Apprentice Stylist - Inner Bailey
                    Mistress of Entertainments
                    Patron of the Duelists
                    Royal Artist
                    Ranger Recruit

Comment