Continued: OOC Explanation for Sassa's Resignation / Retirement

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Continued: OOC Explanation for Sassa's Resignation / Retirement

(Continued separately because of technical issues)

What I'm trying to say, very simply, is this:

Sassa's choice to go to sleep indefinitely is an IN-CHARACTER response and decision.

It is important to me that you all - the other players in CM - understand this fact, if nothing else about her.

It's important to me because I don't want to offend any of you to the point where you think I'm dropping off of CM because of OOC issues, or that I'm mad or angry with you all.

So far, I can understand the desire to post responses to her post, if you believe I, as a player, am addressing a mainly- OOC issue, albeit improperly, on the IC boards.

(In fact, I do / Sassa does bring up the very important crossover issue of: How do we, as players, play our characters fully without putting off or ostracizing new players / returning players / existing players? This is a deep issue that concerns me greatly; and which I see in most of the Skotos games; and for which, I'm sure, we as players wish to be able to find a resolution. I don't really want to discuss here, but feel free to hijack this thread or start another in which to discuss this lingering-but-rarely-discussed point.)

I am, however, a bit disappointed that there are such involved replies to an IC post, written quite carefully from an IC perspective - and deliberately not discussing or revealing any angst I may have as a player, aside from the crossover point that I discussed.

Sassa posted this expression In-Character because I had realized that doing so was a natural and honest action for an openly-honest, forthright girl such as Sassa -- who cannot keep her opinions to herself, but who had come to the In-Character conclusion that she had no choice but to go back to sleep, and wanted, before doing so, to defend herself and the Guild / people she loves, whom she will not be able to defend otherwise, because of the decision to go to sleep.

(Incidentally, you all can argue until you're blue that she had other options; but take a look at yourselves and when you've decided you had no choice but to take a single action, and you saw no other options... until, perhaps, AFTER the choice had been made; and some other factors arose - after-the-fact, to make you reconsider you previously-held perspective. You can no longer change the choice you made. Hearing - after-the-fact - that you had other choices, or that your perspective was, perhaps, skewed, does not change the path you chose. It can't! It's the whole "hindsight is 20/20" business.)

Like it or not, guys: Sassa is asleep. She can't read your replies.

And, while I appreciate the OOC response that I, as a player, not abandon her; and furthermore, that at least some of you want her back:

She's asleep. It's a consequence; and the environment and characters she interacted with, the ways she interacted with them, and the knowledge she has gleaned from all of those factors - rightly or wrongly, correctly or incorrectly - is as it is. There's no changing it; and I'm sorry - possibly more than all of you - for missing out on her while she's sleeping.

If you actually value me as a player, and value her, as a character, then consider your characters' natural responses to her very-IN-CHARACTER expressions of angst. And, I would ask that you play those responses out to the best of your ability, in whatever ways are most natural to each character -- but, I'm quite wary of asking that you all change anything for me / her, particularly because I'm not going to change ANYTHING about her behavior for you, as players... and your characters cannot, in any conscious and direct way, presently reach her to urge her to understand their love and support and knowledge any more than she already knows it.

I, as a player, can deal with the situation presently.

I'm not abandoning you all, and am not abandoning her. I'll find something else to do; I'm a bit more resilient than she, and more intelligent and experienced (or think I am, though I often envy her bravery and resolve) - because, of course, I'm her handler. I have the luxury of both knowing her intimately - more intimately than all of you, because I play her and am with her for every moment of her existence, and so, I know most of her reasons (though, with much excitement, I sometimes find I am yet discovering her, as much as anyone -- and that is one of the most beautiful things I find in being an artist who creates such creatures with words, alone); and, I promise you:

I miss her. I miss her interactions with your characters. I will continue missing her and her interactions; and I'm extremely eager to discover what, if anything, eventually wakes her; and how she will be received if/when she returns to the keep.

But, again: I'm not going to bring her out prematurely, or for OOC reasons, or for IC reasons that she has no way of knowing.

Remember, guys: I'm a writer. THIS is what is most important to me. That she's in this state makes her story interesting, because it stirs up all kinds of conflict, all kinds of life - for her, and, potentially, for you all. And you all can run with that conflict, or you can let it fall flat on the floor; it's up to you and to your characters.

This is why I love interactive / cooperative storytelling: YOU get to help me create and write stories wherein I get to discover MORE than I could EVER discover, alone and in the corner of my world and worldview, so very much about my creations.

So, firstly:

Thank you.

And, secondly:

Let's keep it In-Character, folks. And we can always talk to each other on the other sides of the board.

At least, that's what I'm going to do...

(And I'll make the most with whatever you guys choose to do. )

- Love always,

Sassa's Handler
    Sassa Elvari,
    Poetess

Poetry is the art of falling in love with minutiae

It took me so long to respond to this posting that it logged me out twice!

Sassa's choice to go to sleep indefinitely is an IN-CHARACTER response and decision.
    It looked to me like everyone very much responded in character to that in the only format with which you left them to really address your character's actions after making a public declaration.They might not have been the responses you were hoping to get, but they feel very real to those particular characters, and there was no way for them to IC know for certain Sassa had actually gone to sleep and wouldn't wander out to check the boards again. That would be them using OOC knowledge that you were not logging in. It was their attempt to reach out to her if she did decide to check the bulletin board one last time, and to be fair, she has resigned from things on occasions before only to return swiftly, so for me it's more logical that they chose to write posts than to go around in game excessively and respond to it. We can clearly see you aren't in game in your usual haunts, but we can't know if you don't manage to make it to the Lecture Hall at some random time in the middle of the morning. Even while she was in 'hiding' she did this, so ..

She's asleep. It's a consequence; and the environment and characters she interacted with, the ways she interacted with them, and the knowledge she has gleaned from all of those factors - rightly or wrongly, correctly or incorrectly - is as it is. There's no changing it;
    It's being responded to in game,and I think that's healthy. She's your character to do with as you like, but so it is the right of these other people's characters to dump all their emotions onto a posting and hope beyond hope that it will reach her at some point. I haven't seen a single OOC post asking why you aren't playing Sassa, so I'm confused where you're seeing all the OOC. Is it just that you perceive their responses that way? It all feels very IG to me: characters responding to the potential loss of another character, but making sure they get out what they need to say whether she reads it or not.

If you actually value me as a player, and value her, as a character, then consider your characters' natural responses to her very-IN-CHARACTER expressions of angst. And, I would ask that you play those responses out to the best of your ability, in whatever ways are most natural to each character -- but, I'm quite wary of asking that you all change anything for me / her, particularly because I'm not going to change ANYTHING about her behavior for you, as players... and your characters cannot, in any conscious and direct way, presently reach her to urge her to understand their love and support and knowledge any more than she already knows it.
    I don't think anyone doubts your responses are IC. Sassa is a very spirited and dramatic individual, so I know that my character, for one, was not overly surprised IC by what occurred. It seemed true to her nature. The responses given to her announcement also seemed true to other people's natures, and they shouldn't be about whether you can read them or not IG. That is those characters ways of addressing what they hope has not actually occurred, the shock and displeasure of it, maybe as much for themselves and for the rest of the public to see as it would be for Sassa were she waking. It's not any different really than writing a letter after you've broken up with someone and sending it in the mail even though you know it's unlikely they'll read it or respond. I'm glad you have no desire OOC to change your character, but this whole posting seems an OOC response of your own to your IG resignation and is what is now turning it OOC rather than leaving the focus in the game where it was and has been since it occurred.

I may be wrong, but that's my perception of what is happening. People have been doing a great job of responding without posting on the OOC forums about it, and I hope you'll let them continue to respond in whatever way pleases their characters without addressing it and saying you think they're concerned OOC. Most of us assume we are all adults and know how to roleplay responsibly, and that what happens IG gets left IG. I want to take a minute though and tell you that I think it was nice of you to let people know that you as a player are managing everything and that it has all been IC for you. I'm sure there are those who need that reassurance and worry about hurting other people's feelings on an OOC level. None of us want to drive anyone away through our roleplay, but we too are all trying to be true to our characters who often are not like we are in real life, and are our opportunity to live out the opposite possibilities. I sometimes find myself paging and apologizing because I OOC feel bad about the way one of my characters respond to a situation, but I do stick with it IG and let it unravel even though behind the screen I'm anxious and uncomfortable. So, the reassurance gets two thumbs up that you're coping as a player and that you can separate one world from the other. The rest feels like an unnecessary OOC addressing of characters being who they are and responding as they would because you don't feel like it was the appropriate route for them to take.

I'll see you when you come back around! Until then, take care.
    Apprentice Embinder
    Apprentice Stylist
    Duelist

Mistress of Entertainments
    Royal Artist
    Secretary to Lady Sinvy
    Seeker of the Faith

Squire to Dame Galatea
    Virtuoso of the Unity

Comment

Josie:

Thanks SO much for responding!

t looked to me like everyone very much responded in character to that in the only format with which you left them to really address your character's actions after making a public declaration.They might not have been the responses you were hoping to get, but they feel very real to those particular characters, and there was no way for them to IC know for certain Sassa had actually gone to sleep and wouldn't wander out to check the boards again. That would be them using OOC knowledge that you were not logging in.
      I very much considered this as a possibility, and have no problems with it. But, thanks for including it, so I could explain myself more fully.

It's being responded to in game,and I think that's healthy. She's your character to do with as you like, but so it is the right of these other people's characters to dump all their emotions onto a posting and hope beyond hope that it will reach her at some point. I haven't seen a single OOC post asking why you aren't playing Sassa, so I'm confused where you're seeing all the OOC. Is it just that you perceive their responses that way? It all feels very IG to me: characters responding to the potential loss of another character, but making sure they get out what they need to say whether she reads it or not.
      Awesome, I'm really pleased to hear this, because I can't have known, otherwise.

I just worry, like I'm sure some of the other players do - and have openly expressed concern for me, as a player, after tough IC drama.

So, I wanted to express myself and my concerns to everyone, just in case.

It's not any different really than writing a letter after you've broken up with someone and sending it in the mail even though you know it's unlikely they'll read it or respond.
      Thanks again, that's such a good perspective. <3 And I, as a player (also being curious as hell), am glad for it to be pointed out to me.

And thanks for the rest of your comments and perspective, too.

Having just returned, as I mentioned, and not being too familiar with the player base, I am being overly-cautious, perhaps.

And will gladly trust in all of you from here out.

<3
      Sassa Elvari,
      Poetess

Poetry is the art of falling in love with minutiae

Comment

Working...
      X