Consent and Sorcery

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Consent and Sorcery

So last night I had a conversation with another player about Consent and Sorcery. At first it started out as a conversation simply about resisting magic and I summed that up of that I wouldn't talk about it OOCly as if you want a character that can resist magic that's something you should look into ICly and not OOCly. But then it morphed into the consent conversation and was a bit harder to just hand wave it away and say 'Ask IC' because obviously Consent is an OOC feature of this game.

The contention put forth by this player is that when a spell is used on them they should be given the option to allow it to happen because if they do not consent to this spell being used on them then a sorcerer has effectively forced them into a situation they do not want to be in. I tried reminding them that isn't how consent works in CM. Consent isn't a catch all thing that you can use to get yourself out of a bad situation you've found yourself in. Ignoring magic for instance, if you go and piss of Lord Fluffy Pants, it is fully in Lord Fluffy Pants power to without your consent contact the chamber and have a petition of demotion filed against you. Then next court roles around and again without your consent all the courtiers get to decide that yes indeed you are going to get demoted and boom suddenly even though nobody asked for your consent on this story ark you've been banished from the Inner.

Now that being said, had that happened to you were you powerless? Well no, you could have paid attention to the politics and tried to atone with Lord Fluffy Pants. Or you could have made buddies with Lady Snooty Nose, and perhaps had her and her allies try to keep you your rank despite Lord Fluffy Pants and his cronies. But you as the player do not have the power to say 'No I don't consent to the banishment and I'll just stay here in the inner as I chose.'

Okay so going back over to sorcery and magic in general. Most the spells that might be used on you simply require you to RP in some way. IE: "Oh no! Uwaine returned from the grave and used a mass fear spell on everyone!" and in general you are aloud to RP that effect how you want. Perhaps you cower in a corner of the room the entire time. Perhaps you emote things like 'Bob attemptingly resolves himself' or whatever. It's up to you. Heck for some spells there may be IC ways of even overcoming this. I'll not get into what those IC ways of over coming sorcery might be, but as I say they would be IC ways of overcoming it. But on an OOC level Consent really doesn't apply to these spells. If you get hit with one of these spells just deal with it ICly.

Next up we have spells that can actually move your character about. The most classic is when for instance Uwaine would teleport someone back to their room. Hey wait a second, didn't he just kick you out of a scene you wanted to be part of? And again no consent was asked of you. Well again, that's a misunderstanding of the consent system. Just because you want to be part of a scene doesn't mean you get to be. It sucks I know. In general people (including sorcerers) shouldn't kick someone out of a scene without a good reason. But just as a Lord might seek your fully removed from the Inner, a sorcerer with spells that cause your character to no longer be part of a scene aren't covered by the Consent rules. Again, this can be fully resolved with IC actions. Perhaps you just walk back to the scene and thumb your nose at the sorcerer. Or whatever, it's your choice on how you react to it ICly, but no consent was broken.

Finally we have spells that wound or possibly kill. These spells do actually require consent. But again, just because they give you the ability to consent people shouldn't be using this ability to deny consent simply because they don't like the direction this scene is going. In general if you are in a scene where someone wants to kill your character, you should be working with your murderer to make sure that the scene plays out in an interesting way. Most of the kill kill murder murder sorts in the castle are actually glad to work with you the player to make sure that everyone had a good time.

But what about abuse? What's to stop a player that plays a sorcerer from abusing your characters because they don't like you the player? Well that's easy... Staff. Seriously if you think that a sorcerer has used powers on you not for IC reasons but simply to abuse you the player and ruin your fun with the game by all means file an @assist and staff will address the issue. But that's the same with ANY player regardless of if it's sorcery or not. And please believe me, if staff ever do have to step in and chastise a sorcerer for abusing another player with their sorcerer character they will take measures to make sure such abuse will not happen in the future. That might be a rework of magical code, or it might be taking the sorcerer's favorite toy away. Please believe me when I say that as a player of a sorcerer we don't want our favorite toy taken away.

TL;DR: The reason you aren't asked for consent on most spells is they don't actually break the consent rules. But if you the player feel you've been abused in some way by all means file an @assist.
    ~ Initiate Kaori Zaihou ~
    Arcanist for Lord Vestio
    OOC: Signature last changed on 5/10/2015
Working...
X