Pending Staff Updates: Free to Play, Major Plots, New Systems

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kurzon View Post
    I don't want to get too deeply into what specific details the Freemium program will consist of, partly because that's worthy of its own thread separate from this, and partly because I don't 100% know yet which features will be implemented on release on August 1st or September 1st and which will come further down the road and I hate promising deadlines before I know I can meet them.
    You broke your own promise mister!
    ser Anton Blake

"All issues are political issues, and politics itself is a mass of lies, evasions, folly, hatred, and schizophrenia"

"Although many of us consider ourselves forward-thinkers, we still cling tenaciously to the old values of the system."

"Between two groups of people who want to make inconsistent kinds of worlds, I see no remedy but force"

Comment

Originally posted by Kurzon View Post

The Treasury Gnomes for example will give an automatic bonus percentage to all coin earned for subscribers, and a further bonus for premium players, and the same will apply to CombatXP and other 'grinding' features in the game. There isn't much of an IC roleplay explanation for why the gnome is giving you extra money, you'll just have to suspend disbelief and 'bluebook you made the money somehow'. It's one of those RP immersion 'prices we have to pay' in order to add these features to the game, but I think it is a small one.
      Instead of giving a coin bonus, why not make it a price discount at the bazaar/Royal Treasury? Since coin can be used outside of these purchases, the bonus could be seen as an unfair pay-to-win advantage, whereas the discount is a more discreet, unintrusive benefit.
      StoryPlotter Odjit points to her kohl-lined button eyes.
      StoryPlotter Odjit points to you.
      StoryPlotter Odjit draws her finger over her throat slowly.

Comment

Originally posted by Anton View Post

You broke your own promise mister!
        As tends to be the case with big coding projects, various coding hiccups have occurred, but they're steadily being sorted. Rest assured this remains my top priority, I put a good 4 or 5 hours of coding into this each day and will continue to do so.

Originally posted by Emerick View Post

Instead of giving a coin bonus, why not make it a price discount at the bazaar/Royal Treasury? Since coin can be used outside of these purchases, the bonus could be seen as an unfair pay-to-win advantage, whereas the discount is a more discreet, unintrusive benefit.
        This is plausible, I will give it some thought.

StoryHost Kurzon
        Castle Marrach Staff

kurzon@marrach.skotos.net

The destiny of the world is determined less by the battles that are lost and won than by the stories it loves and believes in.

Comment

Hello everyone,

Some brief updates on this project, as it's been a bit since I've said anything on it.

FREEMIUM CODE AND CHARACTER LIMITATIONS

The actual Freemium code which allows you to log on to CM with an expired account but limits you to playing a single character is complete. By now you may have noticed some unusual messages when logging on to Castle Marrach in regards to your account status. Right now it's not actually possible to log on to Castle Marrach without a Skotos subscription, and it won't be until we fully release Freemium and flip the "on" button, but the all the code for this is done on our end.

How this will actually work?

Regardless of account status you will be able to log on all of your characters, but if you do not have an active Skotos subscription you will only be able to play one of those characters. The first time you log in to the game with your account expired, all of your characters are moved to solitary OOC quarantine zones, there is no way out of these quarantine zones and no way to have IC interaction with other players while quarantined. For now we're allowing that you can sit on your "locked" characters in those quarantine zones and use the who list and @page command and other OOC functions, however we may at any time decide to revoke this.

While quarantined, the @freemium command will allow you to release one quarantined character on your account into the game world. At that point this chosen character is saved to your account as your free character, so use this command with care as Marrach Staff will not undo your choice should you change your mind. Your free character can be changed with use of StoryPoints if you should wish to switch your free character to another character on your account. Additionally, should you re-subscribe to Skotos, the next time your subscription lapses you will be allowed to select your free character anew.

Again, until we fully release Castle Marrach Freemium, none of these above changes are in effect. This is just to let you all know that the code work on this is now complete, and to give you an explanation on how it will work.

MAJOR PLOT

The general storyline for the next Major plot has been written out, a lot of the maps and images and other photoshop work is done as well. There's a fair bit of building left to do that will keep our builders busy but fortunately we have many more builders than we do coders.

Enough is complete that we could start the plot now, but after the Hand of Five shenanigans I promised myself we'd never start another plot until all the leg work was done, as I hate as much as any of you when a plot stalls out mid story because more building/coding needed to be done.

MCOMBAT 4 UPDATE

This has taken up the majority of my time, and has been the major culprit for delay so far. While I considered just moving on ahead without it, it's going to play a role in the next major Castle Marrach plot so its update is unavoidably necessary.

Progress on it is going well, despite its size and the time its taken. It's by far the single largest system we've introduced to Castle Marrach, adding 8 new @teachable martial skills and over 100 combat abilities, most of which can be learned and stored in your character in a fashion similar to how sorcery spells are currently learned, in addition to support for ranged and sorcery combat, and of course MCombat AI with a threat system, all on a single combat system.

I'm on the last legs of finishing this off now. What I'd hoped would take 3 weeks has taken 3 months, but the light at the end of the tunnel is within sight. Barring any unforseen complications (which admittedly can happen at any time with something like this) I'm hoping to have this ready for release for players to start experimenting within the next week or so. And then it will be bug fixes for all the ways you guys find to break it.

OTHER CHANGES

Other changes mentioned in the original post likely won't be implemented right away, but rather over time. Right now our priority is to release the Free Game Access coupled with the Major Plot and the MCombat Update simultaneously as Freemium Day One Release. Other features discussed in the original post are icing that will continue to gradually be added to the game over time, so as not to slow the release of Freemium any further than necessary. I can't give any specific ETA on those features other than to say they'll continue to be worked on, and the Freemium program will continue to be updated and improved upon indefinitely as long as Castle Marrach is around.
          StoryHost Kurzon
          Castle Marrach Staff

The destiny of the world is determined less by the battles that are lost and won than by the stories it loves and believes in.

Comment

This is awesome! I admit I'm always impressed with how quickly you get things done. Kudos!!!

I do however have two questions. How many stps will it be to switch characters and how often can we switch our free character?

~*~*~*~*~*~*~
            Apprentice Jeweler
            Royal Purse Bearer
            Royal Librarian
            Honored Guest

Comment

As a dirty poor, this freemium stuff is good to hear.
              [OOC Page] from Juliee: "I dreamed about Aratan last night. It was the most dull dream ever"

Comment

Originally posted by SeraAdeline View Post
                This is awesome! I admit I'm always impressed with how quickly you get things done. Kudos!!!

I do however have two questions. How many stps will it be to switch characters and how often can we switch our free character?
                At this time no certain determination has been made on that, we'll have to crunch some numbers and find something that makes it a plausible purchase option but not so convenient as to circumvent the Freemium character limit by frequent swapping of your free character.
                StoryHost Kurzon
                Castle Marrach Staff

Comment

That's totally understandable. Thanks for the reply!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~
                  Apprentice Jeweler
                  Royal Purse Bearer
                  Royal Librarian
                  Honored Guest

Comment

Working...
                  X