Announcement

Collapse

ZEALOTRY Users: Critical Notice on Continued Use

Edit: Our new HTML5 client (Orchil) is now open for beta testing in The Eternal City. Feel free to try give it a whirl at http://test.skotos.net/orchil/

Edit: We have made great strides toward a new HTML5 client, which should offer a replacement to Zealotry. We're hoping to release that in the very near future, but in the meantime, using Pale Moon remains the best method for ensuring there is zero interruption to your game playing during the transition.

As of November 14, Mozilla will be auto-updating all copies of Mozilla Firefox to Mozilla 57, a new edition of their browser that will disable all legacy add-ons. This will probably include the majority of the plug-ins that you use on Mozilla, including the Skotos Zealotry plug-in.

This is a big problem for us because Zealotry is the most stable of our clients at this time, and the one that we believe is in the widest use. There's unfortunately no easy way to update it, because we'd have to rewrite it from practically scratch, using their new programming system.

There are tricks that you could use to to prevent Mozilla updates, but we don't particularly suggest them, as you want to have a clean, secure browser. Fortunately, there are two alternative browsers that will support Zealotry. Each of them branched off of an earlier version of Mozilla Firefox, and each of them continues to be updated for important security issues.

Pale Moon Browser

The Pale Moon browser is our suggested replacement. It is a totally separate browser that branched off of Firefox some years ago. It will continue to support the classic plug-ins.

To install it:
  • Install Pale Moon (Windows & UNIX only)
  • Install the Zealotry XPI on Pale Moon
  • Restart the Pale Moon Browser
  • Play on Pale Moon

The official version of Pale Moon only supports Windows and UNIX, but you can also get a slightly less official version of Pale Moon for the Mac. We've tested it out and it looks like it's clean and works correctly, but use your own level of caution in working with the Mac variant.

If You Have Errors

Some users are experiencing "Content Encoding Errors" when using Pale Moon and Zealotry. As best we can tell, this is due to an incompatibility between Windows 8.1, Pale Moon, and Plugins. If you have this problem (or any other), we suggest instead using Mozilla's extended-release version of Firefox, which branched at Firefox 52. It's expected to remain supported until at least June 28, 2018, by which time Mozilla is planning to jump their ESR to a post-plugin phase. This is therefore a short-term solution, but we expect to have full release of our New HTML5 client well before that.

To install it:
The Big Picture

Our larger-scale goal is to introduce a new client that will be usable on any browser and make our games generally more accessible. We've had a HTML5 client in process since last year, but are currently hitting roadblocks that make a deployment before November 14 problematic. We've also just started a second project, which would be more specifically focused as a Zealotry replacement, without worries about new bells or new whistles. Both of these possibilities are being done out-of-house, by Skotos players, but they're receiving our highest level of attention for whatever support they need, as this is all our top priority.

So, consider this a short-term fix, but in the meantime if you use Zealotry, please download one of the alternative browsers and test them out ASAP.
See more
See less

Adobe just killed Flash

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adobe just killed Flash

I am sure that Skotos staff has become aware of this news already, but I thought I would post it here for others. Adobe has announced it is killing flash as of 2020; in the next two-and-a-half years, support and updates for the plugin will ramp down and cease.

As Skotos' clients for any non-mozilla client require flash, I was wondering what this will mean for users.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/adob...-end-1.4220671

Well, I'm not terribly concerned, at least as of yet, for two principle reasons.

Firstly, flash won't cease to exist once Adobe finishes with it, they're just going to stop updating it. Which may be a boon, because the last of the Skotos technicians who created the Skotos flash client left Skotos and stopped updating that client roughly ten years ago. The client itself hasn't been updated since then, so the less flash is updated the less out of date our client actually is with the most recent flash protocols. At least that's my understanding of how that works, I can't claim to be a Flash programmer myself.

But secondly and chiefly, the flash client is simply bad. If I recall, Nino himself conceded that he wasn't able to complete it because of hard coded Flash limitations that prevented him from implementing it how he wanted. I really don't like that its advertised as Skotos' primary client because Zealotry is just so much smoother, with more UI options, it runs faster and it looks better. Last time I tried the flash client, simple features like shift+enter to drop a line didn't function correctly, highlighted/selected text wouldn't show up against a black background, and output text would regularly pop between regular and italicized. I'm not sure if the macro function works for flash or not either.

Admittedly Zealotry is a bit out-of-the-way, Firefox isn't as wildly popular as it was back in 2005 when we first started using it, and not every new potential player is interested in downloading a new web browser with a plugin for it just to try a new MUD if Firefox isn't already on their palette. But it's still the client I'd strongly recommend for Skotos games, and in so far as the MUD community goes, having to download a new client to play the game is fairly common.
    StoryHost Kurzon
    Castle Marrach Staff

kurzon.marrach@outlook.com

The destiny of the world is determined less by the battles that are lost and won than by the stories it loves and believes in.

Comment

Working...
    X