Announcement

Collapse

Multiple Downtimes for All Games [Updated: Rest of Phase 1 Times]

Unfortunately, the whole computing world is facing a major crisis right now thanks to Intel and other major processors missing critical security flaws in their architecture. As a result, our ISP is doing a set of emergency updates to all of their hardware. We are getting about a day's notice on this, and we're told that they're going to need to patch each machine multiple times, which very inconveniently means multiple downtimes.

Our TEC and GR games have always been the most vulnerable to downtime, so I'm going to take the care to cleanly shutdown and restart those.

GR: Sunday, Midnight (all times are PT) DONE
TEC: Monday, 10PM

Expect the games to go down 10 minutes before the downtime, to be safe.

The other games tend to be cleaner, so I'm going to let them restart on their own:

Lovecraft: Monday, 9PM
Lazarus: Monday, 9PM
Web Site: Monday, 11PM [this will affect all logins & usage of the new TEC client]
TEC Client: Tuesday, 9PM
USERDB (site login): Tuesday night, midnight

The upgrade windows have all been less than 30 minutes to date, so you can expect games and/or services will be back up within 35-40 minutes of the hour.

I believe this is now a complete list of the first phase of updates, but there will be a second in the near future.

Shannon
See more
See less

Can we talk about the teaching skillset?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can we talk about the teaching skillset?

My understanding is the teaching skillset has a chance to advance every time a teacher passes a student at their lessons. I do not know if that includes pure passes or fail-passes, or if that's even true.

What I do know is that Euphelia, despite aggressively being a teacher of languages and (previously) embinding, still only has level two teaching. My alt, despite holding daily martial practices for two weeks with seven+ people at lessons each time, still is level one teacher.

Is there any way we can have staff consider bumping teaching skills? Either in how we learn them, OR in having staff being able to bump people who roleplay teaching well? It is just so absolutely frustrating.

Brohm has been statistically abysmal at Teaching and never leveled up. It's not something that bothers me overly much now that, even if at Novice, you can teach more than one student. But I think a small but notable tweak would be to allow the chance of leveling up even when a student fails a lesson (though probability should be higher with a successful one), so that going up from Novice/Apprentice doesn't take THAT long. Perhaps this "perk" of leveling up even with failed lessons only applies until you get to Sen. Apprentice and afterwards only passed students have a chance of having you as a teacher bump up.

My personal experience is that it becomes incrementally easier to level up your Teaching as your character rises in skill, and it should be the other way around. Bumping from Novice to Apprentice should be easier than going from Artisan to Senior Artisan. Correct me if I'm wrong, because maybe mathematically this is the case and it's just been a misleading perception of mine.

Comment

Someone who would know told us once there's a 1% chance to increase in teaching skill on every full pass of a student lesson.

1% is incredibly low. 1 time in a 100 PASSES, you statistically should get a bump. But if you run code, you could see 396 times that you dont get the successful probability of an event, and then get 4 in a row successes. As a mathematician its my firm belief, that statistics is the most worthless of all mathematics. Its the math of "luck". and its never reliable, like other maths are. Stats is a min maxing game. You can only push your odds tiny bit by tiny bit to try and get that favorable outcome (like all those games that let you get armors that increase your crit chance by 1%. its super tiny. but enough pieces of armor that do it, it amounts to something a bit more worthwhile, in the long run., but when its set to 1% statically, you'll very rarely if ever, see it.

Its hard as hell. Adahn has fellow craft teaching (lv 4). Can teach several people at once, 5 i think.
      So, he has a 1% chance to level up when he passes someone.
      But if he's teaching 5 people, (his max) and he passes all 5, then he has a 5% chance to level up.

Which isn't as bad. BUT, the odds of passing someone successfully, and not a pity pass where you hit the 20 lessons mark, or pass "enough" to get the next level, is pretty horrible too.

Now, being fellow craft he is more likely to get that successful pass than those who are novice, and by how much better, I have no idea.

So that's where Brohm gets the feeling that as you level up, the more likely you are to level up. Because you can teach more at a time, and are a bit better at passing people. So yes, what he said is true.

However, with so many ways -not- to get a full successful pass, its not that much better, so it still sucks for even high level teachers to improve.

Things that work FOR you, to pass someone->
      Teach max people.
      Be WAY better at them with that skill. (more likely to pass someone unskilled if you have high skill in it)
      Teach people who aren't very skilled, or not at all.
      Teach every single day, every chance you get.
      Cross your fingers and eyes
      Do random emits like thumping their head when lesson is almost over (it works sometimes i swear! x.x)

Things that do not work for you->
      Teach one person
      Teach once a week.
      Teach a skill you arent very good at, or
      Teach a skill to someone that is close to your own skill. like artisan to senior artisan. Low chance to get the pass
      RP'ing a great lesson that people enjoy. (with the caveat that great rp can bring people back to you for more lessons, so this could fit on either list. but it has no numerical value at all for you.)
      Rules against teaching people that should realistically be able to learn at least basic techniques by themselves. (these stop RP, engagement, participation, all things a game needs to have.)

Factor in arbitrary rules from the in game society about who can be taught, to how high based on a characters opinion and this list is is shot to shit, making it even more unlikely to ever level up.
      Factor in having to wait 19 hours to learn again, and there's not enough students to go around. (19 hours, while it makes sense for game balance and to slow people down from maxing out in a month, makes us all look like drooling morons who cant have more than one thought a day, no matter how hard they practice.) Takes years or a lifetime to become a master of something in real life, so there's that argument to why its so slow to advance and "master". While realistic to say so, people who actively do it every day of their life will improve, while people who do not will still advance just fine, pretending there isnt a teaching skill and letting it happen when it happens. The only way to fix that, is to require rp for a lesson to work, which just makes it super tedious when you are teaching the same lesson over and over, twenty times, to the same people, before something productive actually happens. This is why we get lessons where its bluebooked behind the scene or among closed doors,

because Hell isnt fire. Hell is REPETITION

Believe me when I tell you there's only so many ways you can present the same information to a student. ~A Teacher

Cross your fingers, and soldier on.

(This post is in no way is meant to provide a solution. it can give some tips on how to maximize and minimize your chances, but as said early, successes in the 1% and under range is completely unreliable math. This is all just food for thought on what i've observed, with no actual pen to paper analyzing. There's not enough information out there to determine the actual math and long term formula. There are too many variables in the way this system interacts with the role play environment to pinpoint the problem, but what can be observed is that the role play environment has a massive impact on how often you get to see it happen. With just some theoretical logic and a little bit of estimating: If you could teach non stop for 24 hours a day, 5 people every half hour or so like Adahn, eliminating all other role play limitations, I could teach 2880 times a day. IF ... I passed every single person, i should theoretically level up 28.8 times or so. Interesting to imagine, but that's a very tiny amount of successes for that many people taught in a day. Spread that out over a year, its almost 8 people every day. all of them having to pass... So yeah, summary says it's gonna be horrifically slow without a major overhaul in the formula for success.)

Comment

Originally posted by Aptaliesin View Post
        Someone who would know told us once there's a 1% chance to increase in teaching skill on every full pass of a student lesson.

1% is incredibly low. 1 time in a 100 PASSES, you statistically should get a bump. But if you run code, you could see 396 times that you dont get the successful probability of an event, and then get 4 in a row successes. As a mathematician its my firm belief, that statistics is the most worthless of all mathematics. Its the math of "luck". and its never reliable, like other maths are. Stats is a min maxing game. You can only push your odds tiny bit by tiny bit to try and get that favorable outcome (like all those games that let you get armors that increase your crit chance by 1%. its super tiny. but enough pieces of armor that do it, it amounts to something a bit more worthwhile, in the long run., but when its set to 1% statically, you'll very rarely if ever, see it.

Its hard as hell. Adahn has fellow craft teaching (lv 4). Can teach several people at once, 5 i think.
        So, he has a 1% chance to level up when he passes someone.
        But if he's teaching 5 people, (his max) and he passes all 5, then he has a 5% chance to level up.
        This is not how this would be calculated.

You would have a 1% chance of passing, 5 times. Which, mathematically, is NOT 5%. So, actually, it's worse than you think. <_<

Just sharing....

Comment

I also don't think that teaching max number of people has any effect on whether or not you may increase your skill except to provide more chances for that lucky 1%,

Comment

When it comes to Teaching, there is also a skew against martial characters.

Since the probability of passing a student not only depends on your Teaching level, but also on the difference in level between teacher and student for the skill being taught. As a consequence, teaching a newbie how the basics of Teanga when you are fluent is easier than teaching them Guard, Thrust or Cut, skills that for some reason begin at Senior Apprentice and that Outer Bailey characters are at most at Senior Artisan.

You could also debate whether Teaching should be divided into Teaching Martial, Teaching Language, Teaching Craft and so on. This would not only specialize teachers in what they actually teach, it would encourage language learning from LPA teachers who will, if logic applies, have the better teachers.

About what Aptaliesin said about the learning limitations to 1 lesson per 20 hours, I'm all for building artificial walls to prevent level scaling in drastically short periods, but agree that perhaps this timer should apply to lessons within a specific category (Combat, Craft, Languages, so on). So you can learn how to whack someone's head with a sword in the morning and how to make cute necklaces in the afternoon, and how to speak Western in the evening.

Anyways, I do understand that at the moment these are minor gripes since skill leveling is not among the most relevant issues to the game.Skills do provide some status to a character in specific circles, yes, but this is not a game of min/maxing. So I'm mostly "okay" with the way things work currently. They could be better, but then again, most coded systems can always be improved upon.
            Last edited by Brohm; Yesterday, 07:09 AM. Reason: Multiple attempts at spelling Adahn's Player's handle.

Comment

Working...
            X