Announcement

Collapse

Co-Lo Stability Problems

Unfortunately, our co-lo had some stability problems Friday morning.

First up, they lost all of their connectivity to the facility that holds all of our games. This took them about 40 minutes to diagnose and a bit longer to restore.

Much more astonishingly, they rebooted all of their machines (which means all of our machines) while they were fixing the problem, with no notice. This probably had minimal repercussions on the SkotOS games (Marrach, Ironclaw, Lazarus, and Lovecraft). There may have been a rollback of an hour or two.

TEC and Grendel's Revenge are more troublesome. TEC will suffer a rollback of 10 hours, to midnight (PT) last night, since the unannounced reboot happened one hour before the next backups. GR suffered a more complete failure. We're being forced to restore the entire machine from its backups, then we'll need to restore the game from the backups stored within that backup. The lineup of dates look promising (which is how we laid them out, 'lo these many years ago), so the hope is that we'll only suffer a 7 hour rollback, to the 3am (PT) game backup, but it's a bit dicey at the moment.

Apologies for the inconvenience; we're now making sure everything is stable, and we're looking into whether our most recent upgrades to TEC will support increasing the backups to every 6 hours.

Edit: The GR problem is proving even more intractable than hoped. As best I can tell, our colo is still having some issues because I can't boot the first restore I made of GR and I can't build a new node either. I expect this will just clear when they get their act together, but in the meantime I'm not able to get GR back online until they fix these problems.
See more
See less

What Would You Like for CM This Year: 2018 Edition

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Something for the Conclavers to do when there's no one else awake that doesn't require leaving the Conclave.

This would keep characters logged in longer and increase the chances of RP.

Some ideas:
    • Digging of a new tunnel; characters could mine, occasionally uncovering treasure or other objects.
    • A cave collapse reveals new accessible ruins that can be scoured with an @search command.
    • A cave collapse reveals new accessible ruins to explore that spawn low-level monsters to fight.
    • Practice dummies that fight back and give feedback on performance.
    • Some sort of puzzle box/contraption that needs to be solved/unlocked through manipulation and experimentation.
    And "accessible" in these cases would mean that the doors aren't locked, so it wouldn't depend on the presence of another character.

Comment

My apologies if this is a repeat to what others have said - but I would like to see the following:

More player driven plots.
      More VP characters/players - not just held between one or two staff people.
      Another issue is that we need "head" characters of guilds/households/plots/etc. to be on more often, so things can get done. Or have these turned over to more active characters.
      Hopefully (but harder to enforce) less nepotistic issues that cross over OOC/IC.
      More things (like the cleansing) that can allow for IB/OB players to work together on. The IB/OB separation makes some sense from an IC standpoint, but it generally hurts the game in terms of amount of people that can RP with one another and fragmentation of characters/players. The Avalon Glade was great because a bunch of different people worked on it together. And - Wyverns!

Thanks,
      Just my two cents.

Comment

Ditto of what Ennah said, except for the Inner Bailey. There is nothing to do there when logged on alone, except sit in the library reading books.

Comment

Originally posted by Atmos View Post
          I don't play CM to sit around socilazing...if I wanted to socialize, I wouldn't be sitting in front of a computer. It's great that others want to, but those others should be suggesting new, creative ways to socialize if that's the case.
          Okay I just had to really quick ask, how did you EVER start playing this SOCIAL ROLE-PLAYING GAME in the first place?

Here's some select quotes direct from the CM homepage:

"Castle Marrach is a game of roleplaying, socialization, and storytelling."
          "Within the game you will be able to socialize with hundreds of other characters, each playing their own role within the Castle." (lol "hundreds". Yeah right. They wish.)

Also, in response to Charmiam/Ennah - There's really nothing to do in OB when no one's online, either...? Like, as I just pointed out, this is a social game. You need other people in order to do anything in CM.

Comment

Originally posted by Erstwhile View Post

Also, in response to Charmiam/Ennah - There's really nothing to do in OB when no one's online, either...? Like, as I just pointed out, this is a social game. You need other people in order to do anything in CM.
            I wholeheartedly agree, you need other players to do anything in CM -- that's the whole point of the game.

What I'm proposing is something that would engage players when no one else is around to encourage them to stay logged in longer, to increase the changes of being there when other players finally do log in.

Comment

Originally posted by Erstwhile View Post

Okay I just had to really quick ask, how did you EVER start playing this SOCIAL ROLE-PLAYING GAME in the first place?
              Like most people that found this game/site. I stumbled on it in a list of 1,000s of other MUDs and MUSHes. I wasn't on some mission to find a game to meet people IRL and I'm still not. I don't log on just to chat with people. I log on to complete tasks and duties across my characters...if that means I have to socialize that's fine, but it's not my primary goal, not even secondary. Notice how the first word used to describe the game is Roleplaying, not socializing? Which means its not necessarily a requirement.

My point was, if you're looking for friends, and have found some, that's great...doesn't mean everyone else is looking for the same thing and the game shouldn't reflect one way that one person wants to play. I'm all for the socialization aspect and it being improved for more people to be able to socialize, but it shouldn't come at the detriment of other parts of the game that others like more.

Comment

I still want public beheadings.

Less ooc in game.

Less know it alls.

More feasible goals for martial characters other than Sr. Art skills and an Army badge. (No diss to the RA which is going strong)

Less chancea of intrigue being ruined by big mouthed players incapable of keeping secrets.
                Sir Vestio frowns, "Are you stinking drunk, boy?"
                Prince Bertram explains in Northern, "The duel was to prove me wrong Jeffery. This is your opportunity to prove me correct."

Comment

To be able to buy crafts. It's very frustrating to order something you've put time into laying out, and you get back something else. Then, most of the time, you can't even get an explanation of the changes. I'd rather just pay for it, and get what -I- want for my character, not what someone chooses to give them.
                  Meoris Rousseau

Bodyservant to His Excellency, Lord Boreas

Junior Steward of the Treasury

Comment

Originally posted by Meoris View Post
                    To be able to buy crafts. It's very frustrating to order something you've put time into laying out, and you get back something else. Then, most of the time, you can't even get an explanation of the changes. I'd rather just pay for it, and get what -I- want for my character, not what someone chooses to give them.
                    Speaking as someone who plays a crafter, this is part of what guidelines are and the theme of crafting in this time period/social atmosphere. For instance, if you order an undershirt made of rat fur, you can bet the clothiers are going to balk at the choices. They likely take pride in their work, as an artisan should.

However, you can take this IC. You could, for instance, find a less "by the book" crafter and bribe them with coin to make a few changes they might not usually make. There's nothing stopping you from that, and it creates roleplay. Of course, it also has its own caveats.

Being able to just "buy what you want" for every craft goes against the original intent of crafting and obtaining goods in Marrach. Some crafts already have purchasable upgrades (You can purchase higher rank styles and colors already from the Stylists, for instance, or unique dyes from the clothiers) or even favour-induced upgrades. We have a shop and treasury with unique things. But when we start making every craft have the ability to 'purchase the things they can't normally get', we run the risk of having everyone wearing everything outside their station. Rank, not money, separate the classes in Castle Marrach.

Courtier of Her Majesty's Court
                    Handmaiden to Her Royal Majesty
                    Master Hobbyist in the Stylists

Comment

Irene My biggest frustration with this game, after the incredible (*&^*&^*&^!!!!!! of the parser, is the crafting. I play a crafting character, so I get the ICly wanting to do a good job. That's not what I mean. To much of it is just OOCly wasting my time because someone just doesn't want to do what's being requested. I agree with out of guidelines and generally stupid orders. That's not what I mean, and I stand by with I'd rather just be able to pay to have what I want my character to have. I'm a player who likes to highly customize a character so they are what I want to play. Not what someone else unwillingly dribbles my way.
                      Meoris Rousseau

Bodyservant to His Excellency, Lord Boreas

Junior Steward of the Treasury

Comment

Just to help clarify the point Meoris is making here. I believe he's talking about ordering something totally within the guidelines like for example, a white pashmina longsleeved doublet and getting an ivory pashmina longsleeved doublet. This sort of thing happens a lot more often than one might think. However, I don't really wanna see it possible to buy these particular crafts. If you order a white thing and get an ivory thing, that's a thing you can totally have addressed IC and it's really not even that hard. In fact, it is an interaction that you get to have IC as opposed to @shop clothing merchant '25.

Without getting into details, my character just did this sort of thing with an entire outfit. The incorrect outfit and the procurement of its replacement actually created several difference scenes that I found entertaining. Certainly more entertaining than @shop. I know what you're saying, Meoris, but in the end; RP wins.
                        Tyr Gunn
                        Lieutenant of the Queen's Regular Army

Comment

Originally posted by Meoris View Post
                          I'm a player who likes to highly customize a character so they are what I want to play. Not what someone else unwillingly dribbles my way.
                          Building a bit on what Meoris was saying here. I am also a player that likes to customise everything I possibly can with my character. In this case, where crafters are concerned, I like to know what my options are. But not all artisans have details on what elements of a craftable are customizable. So what I would like is for an OOC resource to help players fully understand what their options are with regard to a craftable object. This allows players to request things from artisans armed with full knowledge of what they want and need. This resource could be a collaborative effort among all the artisans and not even require the work of staff. Just a full, and concise list of all customizable elements of a craft.

I've been playing this game off and on since the beginning, and I only recently learned that cloaks can have two different colours. Sure! This might be common knowledge to everyone else, but I didn't know it because there isn't an easily accessible resource to find out what I can actually request from clothiers. I realize that I can absolutely RP learning about what I can do with any given craftable, but that assumes the person I'm talking to IG knows as much as they should regarding their own chosen craft.
                          Tyr Gunn
                          Lieutenant of the Queen's Regular Army

Comment

Gunn - To be fair, cloaks having two colors didn't occur back in the olden days of "generic" vs "mgeneric", so don't feel bad there

Meoris - I understand what you're getting at. But if you order something "A white cloak" and get back "An ivory cloak" that's totally something you need to bring up IC. Find out why. Are we short on white dye? Is it something the artisan simply made a mistake in? As Gunn said, in the end, RP wins. Marrach is a largely (and I mean 99%) social/roleplay created game. We differ from ICO and other similar games in that we don't HAVE shops automated everywhere. Yes, we do have the occasional NPC interactive shop (the gnomes, the free drinks and foods from the bartender/etc, the toy machine, etc) but on a whole, the game thrives on its character to character interactions, be it artisans, offices, what have you. I'm all in favor of more shops and more coin-based things. So with that human element, you have people who make mistakes, or, maliciously, do things on purpose. This creates an amazing opportunity for you, the player, to create dialogue and roleplay in game.

To digress a bit, but stay on the same vein as roleplay; one of the things I saw mentioned here was more player run plots. What is a player run plot? I define it as whatever story you create, run by you, within the confines of the game. Obviously, player run plots tend to limit themselves to events (which sometimes require staff intervention), crime (which railroads into either the criminal getting frustrated with being caught, or the victims getting sidelined with injury; and can also require staff intervention depending) or social gossip. When I say the word "gossip", I don't necessarily mean rumors or falsities. I mean chatter and conversation, the social aspect of the "social RP" game. Not all of us enjoy that, as Atmos pointed out, and that's fine. That's an opinion as completely valid as someone who likes the tea socials and politics. Marrach does, after all, have something for many. It's the most diverse game I've played (And I've been playing a spatter of characters since the beginning as well.)

Back on track, if you feel like the artisans aren't providing your order -as is-, find out why. Do some digging. Is a particular artisan slighting Meoris? All of them? Is something wrong with his design or request? Ask questions. But saying "I want to pay for this, so I get what I want" pretty much solidifies that you want to bypass that, and that's not what the game is really about If I'm wrong here, feel free to correct me. But your "doesn't want to do what is requested" is too vague for me to comment on without knowing exactly what it is you're unable to get done.

Courtier of Her Majesty's Court
                            Handmaiden to Her Royal Majesty
                            Master Hobbyist in the Stylists

Comment

Originally posted by Irene View Post
                              Gunn - To be fair, cloaks having two colors didn't occur back in the olden days of "generic" vs "mgeneric", so don't feel bad there

Meoris - I understand what you're getting at. But if you order something "A white cloak" and get back "An ivory cloak" that's totally something you need to bring up IC. Find out why. Are we short on white dye? Is it something the artisan simply made a mistake in? As Gunn said, in the end, RP wins. Marrach is a largely (and I mean 99%) social/roleplay created game. We differ from ICO and other similar games in that we don't HAVE shops automated everywhere. Yes, we do have the occasional NPC interactive shop (the gnomes, the free drinks and foods from the bartender/etc, the toy machine, etc) but on a whole, the game thrives on its character to character interactions, be it artisans, offices, what have you. I'm all in favor of more shops and more coin-based things. So with that human element, you have people who make mistakes, or, maliciously, do things on purpose. This creates an amazing opportunity for you, the player, to create dialogue and roleplay in game.

Back on track, if you feel like the artisans aren't providing your order -as is-, find out why. Do some digging. Is a particular artisan slighting Meoris? All of them? Is something wrong with his design or request? Ask questions. But saying "I want to pay for this, so I get what I want" pretty much solidifies that you want to bypass that, and that's not what the game is really about If I'm wrong here, feel free to correct me. But your "doesn't want to do what is requested" is too vague for me to comment on without knowing exactly what it is you're unable to get done.
                              I do remember from back in the day, seamstresses would come to you with your order and roleplay with you their expertise on the matter, to help fix problems. Not just spit out whatever they felt like at the time, if anything at all and send it off. I totally get what meoris is talking about. I wont order from anyone but one person, and only in person anymore, so all the kinks can be worked out ahead of time. So i disagree with the above quoted this instance about the customer having to find out why. It's RP that died from the start, and possible punishments for questioning it, so a firm, NOPE, on that one.

Trying hard here not to sound negative toward anyone, but I would much rather the RP be like this, the experts explaining things to the non experts and working out a correction, and actually roleplaying working through something. Not forcing someone to question what happened and often risk getting disfavored for not wanting what was sent. Its srsly /quit worthy.

As for the adventure areas, Euphelia, Atmos has the right translation, not sure where you got what you saw, But the idea is to have more for people who appreciate a different kind of RP between major events, and staff sponsored shenannigans. In this case, fighting. Teamwork. Training together. Helping each other, getting hurt and rescuing each other, dragging wounded people back to the healers for them to join in. Non combatants to come nag them for their dangerous lifestyle, and so on. I never did like TEC. I dont want that, but RP adventurer areas open to people based on their bailey (and similarly scaling difficulty levels) would not be bad for anyone.

So, i just deleted three paragraphs and put this instead. I'm gonna focus my fire on what I find the most valuable to me since the thread is: What Would You Like for CM This Year: 2018 Edition

I would like my three reasons before. I dont need to defend it (even though i did), those who would like to see it too, know and understand the benefits, not just to the whole playerbase, but to the whole game long term customer attraction. That's what i care about most. Players happy, skotos happy, staff happy. Profit for everyone getting what they want.

ugh...and i'm trying so hard at trying to stay out of this thread. Too easy for circular debates to arise. Going to hide from it for another week. XD
                              Last edited by Aptaliesin; 02-14-2018, 05:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tyr Gunn View Post

This might be common knowledge to everyone else, but I didn't know it because there isn't an easily accessible resource to find out what I can actually request from clothiers.
                                Gunn
                                I'm unsure if this is common knowledge, and I just gave it a glance so it may need an update, but there is a list of items and the details that can be customized with the new crafting system found here! Hopefully this helps you and others who may have not known.
                                StoryBuilder Husi
                                Half-Man, Half-Bear, All Chocolate

Comment

Working...
                                X