No announcement yet.

Those Involved with the CONAL Situation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've considered the not being able to unlock from inside, and it would depend on how the gate was constructed. If it's only a set of bars with hinges on one side and a plate with the locking mechanism on the other side, then it would likely be possible to open. Setting the bars closely together would stop this, though. The gate could also have a solid center section, with bars at top and bottom so it could be seen through, but the lock would not be accessible to anyone being able to stick their arm out far enough to then bend and reach the lock. I'm uncertain if technology of the day would allow it to be grated instead of having bars, but a 2 inch by 2 inch mesh would give full visibility through the gate while preventing someone from reaching out, unless they had very small hands.
    Honored Guest
    Royal Purse Bearer
    Guildmaster of the Embinders Association
    Bodyservant to Lord Sicard Dunseny
    Elder Teacher of the Battle Guild

Comment

According to the plot as I understood it (and being the player of the character that quite literally noticed Conal standing on the other side of the gate and alerted the Guard), the army contacted the Seneschal when Lieutenant Gunn's keys were found to be stolen and had him come to rig the lock so it could be opened from the outside by the key, but the locking mechanism on the other side of the gate would not respond if Conal attempted to utilize the same key. Logically, this would have been a moot point if he could just push his hand through the gate to unlock it from the outside.
      The only description of the gate itself as examined from the outside says: "The bars on it are thick and rusted and it has a locking mechanism that shows signs of heavy use."
      Seraphus Indignus

Member of Lady Sinvy's Household
      Member of the Unity of the Arts

Comment

That's assuming, of course, that anybody considered that possibility when they came up with the plan. I kinda doubt it, for some reason.

And Meoris, the description of the gate says that it's got thick, rusted bars, which I think implies that it's not a grate, or a mesh. Makes me think of the stereotypical fantasy jail cell.
        Y'know, like, this:
        https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/...01-d2y36jg.jpg

Or this:
        https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/...-jail-cell.jpg

Or this:
        https://www.mirye.com/media/com_hika...EN2V106-07.jpg

Or.. I could go on, but it's kinda hard to list all these links from my phone, and you get the idea. I hope.

Comment

I do, and it's something I had given some thought. Just throwing out possibilities of why it might not be possible. The stereotypical design is what came to my mind at first, as it would be a logical construction.
          Honored Guest
          Royal Purse Bearer
          Guildmaster of the Embinders Association
          Bodyservant to Lord Sicard Dunseny
          Elder Teacher of the Battle Guild

Comment

Working...
          X