Idea for Premium membership: @research

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Idea for Premium membership: @research

Before logging off, players would type @research "[name of skill] and they would accrue "research points" in that skill while logged off. Then, next time they get a lesson in that skill, the research points would get added to the score determining whether or not they pass the lesson, or high how of a bump they get. Naturally, there'd be a limit to how many points a person can accrue, and the rate at which the points increase can slow down the higher the level of the skill being researched.
    StoryPlotter Odjit points to her kohl-lined button eyes.
    StoryPlotter Odjit points to you.
    StoryPlotter Odjit draws her finger over her throat slowly.

OOC -- Rhomulus says, " you realize... of all the people on here you're one of the few to make me look up a word?! lol"

Gives value to paid accounts and premium in particular. I can see how it would be useful for Sorcerers or rarer crafts. They could re-install the code for instruments for example, which was around long ago and removed... so they operated like other skills in game. You'd hope for more 'trickle down' to freemium folk too. Neat idea.

Comment

The reason I don't have premium account is that I don't see enough value to me for it. STP prices, IMO, are just nuts in most cases, and I'm not currently interested in playing an alt. Something that would bring more potential value to having a premium account would make spending the money a lot more attractive.
      Honored Guest
      Royal Purse Bearer
      Guildmaster of the Embinders Association
      Bodyservant to Lord Sicard Dunseny
      Elder Teacher of the Battle Guild

Comment

I'm all for giving paying players more perks. I like the @research idea but I'd love for there to be RP opportunities to research in game and get rewarded for it.

Comment

Idea for Premium

The myskotos forum thing works. Let's get basics right before adding new things
          "In our age there is no such thing as ‘keeping out of politics.’ All issues are political issues, and politics itself is a mass of lies, evasions, folly, hatred and schizophrenia."

"Although many of us consider ourselves forward-thinkers, we still cling tenaciously to the old values of the system."

"Between two groups of people who want to make inconsistent kinds of worlds, I see no remedy but force"

Comment

There are many ways to research topics and get compensation in game for it in the form of coin, recognition, other in-game perks. Adding a @research command is going to only cause individuals to feel obligated to utilize it before logging out, just to get that boost. It's also adding a "pay to win" method to the game that I think would only be detriment to the overall feel of Marrach, which is proper RP and story. While the idea of adding ways to boost one's ability to "pass" a lesson is definitely a good one, doing so while "offline" is not the way to do so, in my opinion. At least, not with the current "teach" system we're familiar with, which is a 15+ year old system as is

Comment

Originally posted by Setsuna View Post
              There are many ways to research topics and get compensation in game for it in the form of coin, recognition, other in-game perks. Adding a @research command is going to only cause individuals to feel obligated to utilize it before logging out, just to get that boost.
              The way I envisioned the system, the "research points" you would received would accrue very slowly, so for someone that logs in-and-out regularly, it wouldn't offer much benefit, and it's certainly not meant to replace any of the existing reward systems in the game for research and roleplay.

Originally posted by Setsuna View Post
              It's also adding a "pay to win" method to the game that I think would only be detriment to the overall feel of Marrach, which is proper RP and story. While the idea of adding ways to boost one's ability to "pass" a lesson is definitely a good one, doing so while "offline" is not the way to do so, in my opinion. At least, not with the current "teach" system we're familiar with, which is a 15+ year old system as is
              I'm not really sure it would be beneficial to the point that it would give paying players that big of an advantage. The purpose isn't to make paying players have an advantage, but rather give players who have limited access to lessons the ability to keep up with their peers.

There's another game I play where you gain skills by performing actions, but while you're logged out you amass a "sleep bonus" that you consume after you log in that gives you a temporary boost to the skill points you gain. The bonus is small enough that players that log in regularly don't need to use it, but those that can only log in every now and again are able to make actual use out of it.

This wouldn't be taking away any RP from the game, either. I already have Emerick say things like, "Oh, I've been researching all day," as an excuse to why I've been logged out all day. A system like this would just make that RP feel a little more significant, I guess.
              StoryPlotter Odjit points to her kohl-lined button eyes.
              StoryPlotter Odjit points to you.
              StoryPlotter Odjit draws her finger over her throat slowly.

OOC -- Rhomulus says, " you realize... of all the people on here you're one of the few to make me look up a word?! lol"

Comment

Working...
              X