Announcement

Collapse

Downtimes: June 24 - July 2nd

We've got another batch of shutdowns coming in late June and early July, so that the machines can be repaired for the newest bug, the ZombieLoad CPU bug.

In general, the Genesis games (Grendel, TEC, TEC-Test) all have reboots scheduled for the absolute middle of the night, so I'll be taking each down the previous evening at midnight and bringing them back up the next morning at 9am.

The SkotOS games have always been more robust about reboots, so we'll let them reboot on their own, though there's some chance for an ~2 hour data loss. In any case, I'll be checking them after the 2-hour window when I can, though Marrach has a middle-of-the-night reboot, so that'll be the next morning.

The UserDB and Web reboots will cause some downtime for the entire site, but again they will hopefully come up cleanly.

GENESIS:

- Shutdown Grendel (late Sunday 6/23)

- Startup Grendel (early Monday 6/24)

- Shutdown TEC (late Monday 6/24)

- Startup TEC (early Tuesday 6/25)

- Check TEC Client (9pm Tuesday 6/25)

- Shutdown TEC-Test (late Thursday 6/27)

- Startup TEC-Test (Friday 6/28)

SKOTOS:

- Marrach (Monday early morning 6/24)

- Ironclaw (Monday 10pm-midnight 6/24)

- Lovecraft, Lazarus (Monday 8pm-10pm 7/2)

MAIN SITE:

- UserDB (Monday 10pm-midnight 6/24)

- Web (Sunday 9pm-11pm 6/30)
See more
See less

MCombat 4.1 Update Info

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2019-04-09
    • The @upskill ability has been reset for MCombat 4.1. This reset removes all of the old, defunct 4.0 skills no longer used in MCombat 4.1
    • All weapon skills have been removed and upskill points refunded. This is likely the final time this will happen as we're moving out of Beta and into actual release now.
    • The formula for point distribution has been updated. Lower skilled characters particularly below the Artisan'ish areas will receive less points than they used to (this is to address low skilled / non martial characters essentially just 'maxing out' swordonehand, swordtwohand and sidearm because they had more points than they knew what to do with).
    • Offhand skills cannot be raised higher than your highest mainhand skill. IE; shield and dualwield cannot be raised higher than the level of your highest one handed weapon skill via @upskill.
    • The cutoff date for upskills has been reset to today, any character created after this evening is not eligible for free upskill level ups.
    • MCombat weapon skills are now all properly teachable with @teach.
    StoryHost Kurzon
    Castle Marrach Staff

kurzon.marrach@outlook.com

The destiny of the world is determined less by the battles that are lost and won than by the stories it loves and believes in.

Comment

Originally posted by Kurzon View Post
      2019-04-09
      • The @upskill ability has been reset for MCombat 4.1. This reset removes all of the old, defunct 4.0 skills no longer used in MCombat 4.1
      • All weapon skills have been removed and upskill points refunded. This is likely the final time this will happen as we're moving out of Beta and into actual release now.
      • The formula for point distribution has been updated. Lower skilled characters particularly below the Artisan'ish areas will receive less points than they used to (this is to address low skilled / non martial characters essentially just 'maxing out' swordonehand, swordtwohand and sidearm because they had more points than they knew what to do with).
      • Offhand skills cannot be raised higher than your highest mainhand skill. IE; shield and dualwield cannot be raised higher than the level of your highest one handed weapon skill via @upskill.
      • The cutoff date for upskills has been reset to today, any character created after this evening is not eligible for free upskill level ups.
      • MCombat weapon skills are now all properly teachable with @teach.
      This @upskill reset/refund seems like it has not occurred for my character, is there anything I can do to trigger it?

Comment

Something I've noticed a couple of times now is that the longsword Focus attack doesn't stop early if it knocks the target out of MCombat. Because dropping out of MCombat in a practice fight at least puts you back at pre-fight fatigue immediately, the rest of the attacks hit your out-of-combat fatigue. If that makes sense.
        Ser Halvard
        Bodyservant to the Lord Chancellor

Comment

A few observations to be investigated:

Armor does strange things when hit in mcombat, someone may want to test how that works when you are struck. I lost all my armor from two people in one round. Each attack destroys a piece of armor, since everyone gets three attacks, bam bam bam, all broken. I tend to suggest that armor should have its own fatigue to be broken through as well. for example, heavy armors have 2000, medium 1000, light, 500, along with all penalties each weight class has.

Crossbows are not wieldable, so cannot be used for mcombat and ranged attacks. The abilities listed above cant be used. Crossbow bolts should be eliminated, and quivers used instead, load my crossbow with my quiver. It can be charged with extra quivers from a supply station of some kind, but not individual bolts. Any magically created bolts could come from a magical quiver instead in the emit, and not need to be recharged, for example. That lets people practice with crossbows and use them in mcombat without the tedious nature of counting bolts with the prox.

Polearms Focus attack bugged on me last night, I had maximum critical percentage, and used two strong attacks with the F attack, Both strongs landed and were critical hits but the Impale attack gave an error and nothing happened. (I didnt get to see that 600^ damage land on a full powered hit. I was so sad.)

I dont think many of the abilities that grant focus when attacked, are granting the focus. shield focus attack "Shield slam" isnt granting the promised fatigue either. Just the damage reduction on a single person and a weak damage attack.

Sorcerers seem to be immortal in mcombat. The ones ive sparred with are not taking fatigue damage.

Comment

Originally posted by Aptaliesin View Post
            Sorcerers seem to be immortal in mcombat. The ones ive sparred with are not taking fatigue damage.
            'Cause we could be immortals, immortals
            Just not for long, for long,
            And live with me forever now,
            You pull the blackout curtains down,
            Just not for long, for long,
            We could be immor- immortals,

Comment

We assisted about the immortality bug. It was handy for sparring/practice since we usually die in one or two hits, but yes, definitely unfair to the martial characters who got zapped slowly into oblivion.
              Sorcery Initiate
              Secretary to His Excellency, Lord Boreas
              Adjutant Prosecutor, Chancery
              Lead Inner Apprentice, Clothiers

Comment

COMMAND SUMMARY

Before the Fight.
                @mcombat 'ready' to ready for the fight.
                @style to choose your fighting style, if you are skilled enough to have unlocked one.
                @team 'whateverteamname' to declare the team you will be fighting for. In a fight with monster CNPCs, you will automatically be assigned to the 'players' team. Only six people to a team. You cannot join a team while you are in combat, so make sure to declare your teams before you enter a fight.
                @combatants (or @comb) to check who is ready, and what team they have declared for.
                @area 'east/north/etc' to select a specific area to start in when combat begins. The default area to start in is the center. There is a 'square' around the center for each cardinal direction.

Starting the Fight.
                @mcombat 'practice' - Initiate a practice match where individuals are moved from combat as soon as they are struck. Fatigue is fully restored for a practice match, but is reset to pre-practice match values after the fight.
                @mcombat 'duel' - Initiate a duel match where an individual is not removed from battle until they receive a wound. Fatigue is not restored before a duel, so make sure you're properly rested.
                @mcombat 'fight' - Initiate a fight to the death where a combatant remains in MCombat until they die or withdraw (make sure you're not using rebated weapons for this!) Fatigue is not restored beforehand. Fights against CNPCs are automatically this kind of battle.
                @mcombat 'join' - Join an MCombat fight already in progress in this room.

During the Fight.
                @status will show you your current and max fatigue or health, as well as what weapon you are wielding, any buffs/debuffs you are affected by and the cooldown period of your @abilities.
                @ability is how you use your abilities. Using @ability 'list' will show you the abilities you have at your disposal. If an ability must target a person, such as the Hilt Strike for two-handed swords, you would type @ability targetname 'numberofability'. Otherwise, simply using @ability 'numberofability' will work.
                @advance will allow you to move from the fighting area you are in to an adjacent area on your turn (including diagonals), so if you are in the center and you want to move to the north fighting area, you would type @advance 'north'. Note that doing this will take up two of your three attacks and allow an attack of opportunity against you by anyone who is currently in your fighting area and has attacked you on their last turn.
                @hand will show you your attacks for your current turn. This command can be used at any time, allowing you to pre-select your attacks in the spirit of speeding things up.
                @attack is how you attack a target. To attack a target, you would type @attack targetname '1 2 3', where the numbers are the three attacks you pick from your @hand.
                @combatants/comb during a fight will also show you what @area each combatant is in, along with the previous information it provides.

There are surely other commands that are relevant, so if staff want to copy/paste this or edit it into a more complete summary, feel free, or I can edit it if people add more things. But this is mostly here as a quick reference if you are a little uncertain about MCombat. All the information you need is in Kurzon's initial posts, this is just meant to be a helpful list of commands in one place.
                Last edited by Halvard; 04-29-2019, 05:41 PM. Reason: Poor wording.
                Ser Halvard
                Bodyservant to the Lord Chancellor

Comment

Halvard: Good list of commands and notes. A few other things that should be mentioned however, regarding wounding and bruising:
                  • Receiving a wound in battle restores your fatigue a bit (since you have to be 0 or less fatigue before you get "struck", so you can theoretically keep going a bit longer.) However, your fatigue total / max fatigue will be smaller until you are healed up.
                  • Once you are healed up, you will need to initiate a new battle before your "max fatigue" is properly set to the original number.
                  • Bruises count - Bruises also lower your max fatigue, but not your CURRENT fatigue. So if you show 7000/5000 fatigue, you likely had a bruise at some point between your last battle where you were 7000/7000 and now.
                  • Wounds aren't just four categories, even though we have four hps. There are four types of wounds you can be dealt: Slight (1 damage), serious (2 damage), grave (3 damage), death strike (4 damage). You can receive a slight, serious, grave, or even death strike in ONE attack. Example: Someone receives a slight wound in a fight with a salamander taking 1 damage to his 4 hps. He then got hit with a serious wound on the next battle, taking 2 damage on top of the 1 he already had. That brought a total of 3 damage out of 4 hp which brought him to gravely wounded. This has been true for duel combat for a while, really, I've seen people one-hit kill in duels; even though it's rare, it happens.

Comment

2019-05-06

* Fixed bug where the polearm ability 'shaft sweep' (#3) would error out
                    * Fixed bug where the longsword ability 'two handed parrying' (#3) would error out at 'basic' level
                    * Fixed bug where active abilities worked even while it's not your turn
                    * Fixed bug where sorcerers would sometimes be invulnerable (never lose fatigue when attacked)
                    * Fixed bug where @combatants was not properly displaying a character's target if taunted
                    * Fixed bug where characters would still act as though they were taunted even after taunt wears off
                    Last edited by Kurzon; 05-06-2019, 07:56 PM.
                    StoryHost Kurzon
                    Castle Marrach Staff

The destiny of the world is determined less by the battles that are lost and won than by the stories it loves and believes in.

Comment

2019-05-07

There's been a significant update to upskills, which also required an upskill reset which will take place the next time you use the @mcombat command.

1. The @upskill command is no longer used to handle upskills. Instead it is automatically triggered when you use the @mcombat command.

The reason for this change is twofold; firstly, a number of characters weren't receiving the automatic upskill refresh on login. After toying around with it for about a month, I haven't been able to determine why, only that the error isn't actually mcombat related but some kind of bug affecting login scripts in general, therefore tieing the reset to an @command ensures the reset doesn't fail to trigger when it needs to.

Secondly, it was observed that some people were deliberately stalling using their upskill points until their martial skills were higher, therefore granting more upskill points - that's not how the command was intended to be used. Upskill is meant to grant 'gratuity' skill ups for weapon skills that characters reasonably ought to have had by now, save for the fact that those weapon skills didn't actually exist to be taught for the first 17 years of the game. Characters created after the point that those skills were introduced, or who learned higher martial skills after that point, should not therefore be able to receive 'retconned' skill ups they never would have ICly known to begin with. Entering mcombat requires you to use the @mcombat command, which now automatically triggers your upskill, combating this exploit.

2. You no longer receive points to distribute into skills, instead, your weapon skills are automatically granted based on your dueling skills. Because of this, knights no longer automatically receive every skill as an option. Shields have additionally been opened up to everyone due to somewhat increased use since upskills was first released, but free skillups in shield come at a reduced rate for non guardsmen because they're still not very commonly used outside the Army.

* If you have at least level 5 cut, you receive 1 level of two handed sword per level of cut.
                      * If you have at least level 5 thrust, you receive 1 level of one handed sword per level of thrust.
                      * If you have at least level 5 guard, you receive 1 level of shield per 2 levels of guard.
                      * If you are on the Guard roster, you receive 1 level of shield per level in guard.
                      * If you are on the Guard roster, you receive 1 level of polearm per level of thrust.
                      * If you previously had one handed bludgeon, you receive 1 level of one handed bludgeon per level of cut.
                      * If you previously had two handed bludgeon, you receive 1 level of two handed bludgeon per level of cut.
                      * If you previously had dual wielding, you receive 1 level of dualwield per level of cut or thrust (whichever is lower)
                      * If you have feint or attacking, you receive 1 level of sidearm per level of feint or attacking (whichever is higher)

After a lot of finagling, we've never been able to get upskill points to a good place. Inevitably some people feel spread too thin when trying to divide their points up evenly, while others do the opposite and dump all their points into one or two high skills getting, say, three level 7 weapon skills when they only had one level 7 dueling skill to begin with. There isn't a happy medium, so we've decided to try the route of automatic generation. You no longer have to worry about where to put your skill points, they're automatically granted based on your skill with the dueling skill that most affects that weapon - swinging weapons are affected by cut, thrusting weapons by thrust, shields by guard and a few other less common fighting styles being affected by less common dueling skills.

This route also adds a bit more room for flexibility, if your character has historically been roleplayed as using either a shortsword or a longsword, you're not forced to choose between the two or split between them at a cost of minmax disadvantaging yourself; instead you're simply given the according skill levels for whatever weapons your character was already most efficient with in Duel 2.0.

I think this update will put us in a good place, and for most people won't significantly affect their skill tally unless they were one of the outliers we were deliberately hoping to fix.
                      Last edited by Kurzon; 05-07-2019, 03:10 PM.
                      StoryHost Kurzon
                      Castle Marrach Staff

Comment

I had Master Adept Dualwield before @mcombat, and Zero after it. I do not think it properly gave me the skill I had. Sword two hand is the same as it was, sword onehand decreased by one rank, and dual wield disappeared completely. I see Petris using two Watch short swords much more readily than a dagger in sidearm, but that's my own impression of his skills.

But He definitely had dualwield before the update.

Comment

Originally posted by Petrisfied View Post
                          I had Master Adept Dualwield before @mcombat, and Zero after it. I do not think it properly gave me the skill I had. Sword two hand is the same as it was, sword onehand decreased by one rank, and dual wield disappeared completely. I see Petris using two Watch short swords much more readily than a dagger in sidearm, but that's my own impression of his skills.

But He definitely had dualwield before the update.
                          He didn't have it "unlocked"; he was able to get it because he is a knight and being a knight used to automatically permit you to put upskill points into any weapon skill without having to file and request a certain skill be 'unlocked' to place points into. With this release, since we automatically receive the max level we qualify for in every weapon skill we have unlocked, knights no longer automatically get all of the weapon skills unlocked (if they did they'd be getting a set of 8x Master'ish level weapon skills, which is quite higher than intended given most Knights only have 1 or 2 Master dueling skills to begin with).

VPs in general should consult with Plotter Staff to see which martial skills we feel they're supposed to have, and we can manually adjust their skills if there is some discrepancy. Most martial VPs should also have a page in their VP twiki that goes over their martial skills, their preferred fighting and weapon styles, and the guidelines around which martial skills they will teach and under what circumstances; if Petris does not have one such page let me know and I'll see what I can dig up.
                          StoryHost Kurzon
                          Castle Marrach Staff

Comment

I find it a little silly my character is now Master in shields, even though she never ICly learned to use one, just because of her guard skill. It makes no sense to me. I would trade all 8 levels of it back for that one level of dualwield she lost instead if it were possible.*shrugs*
                            Last edited by Gabs; 05-07-2019, 06:34 PM. Reason: Typos.
                            Proud member of: WWMHSBA

"Why don't you all just go submit some plots where you can get pregnant, give birth to you own alt as an annoying child character, have it grow up to be a drama queen, and then you can use IC/OOC crossover to hide the goods you stole and escape from the dungeon that you're locked in due to a badly run rape plot?!" - Age

Comment

Works for me!
                              StoryHost Kurzon
                              Castle Marrach Staff

Comment

Huzzah!
                                Proud member of: WWMHSBA

"Why don't you all just go submit some plots where you can get pregnant, give birth to you own alt as an annoying child character, have it grow up to be a drama queen, and then you can use IC/OOC crossover to hide the goods you stole and escape from the dungeon that you're locked in due to a badly run rape plot?!" - Age

Comment

Working...
                                X