Announcement

Collapse

Downtimes: June 24 - July 2nd

We've got another batch of shutdowns coming in late June and early July, so that the machines can be repaired for the newest bug, the ZombieLoad CPU bug.

In general, the Genesis games (Grendel, TEC, TEC-Test) all have reboots scheduled for the absolute middle of the night, so I'll be taking each down the previous evening at midnight and bringing them back up the next morning at 9am.

The SkotOS games have always been more robust about reboots, so we'll let them reboot on their own, though there's some chance for an ~2 hour data loss. In any case, I'll be checking them after the 2-hour window when I can, though Marrach has a middle-of-the-night reboot, so that'll be the next morning.

The UserDB and Web reboots will cause some downtime for the entire site, but again they will hopefully come up cleanly.

GENESIS:

- Shutdown Grendel (late Sunday 6/23)

- Startup Grendel (early Monday 6/24)

- Shutdown TEC (late Monday 6/24)

- Startup TEC (early Tuesday 6/25)

- Check TEC Client (9pm Tuesday 6/25)

- Shutdown TEC-Test (late Thursday 6/27)

- Startup TEC-Test (Friday 6/28)

SKOTOS:

- Marrach (Monday early morning 6/24)

- Ironclaw (Monday 10pm-midnight 6/24)

- Lovecraft, Lazarus (Monday 8pm-10pm 7/2)

MAIN SITE:

- UserDB (Monday 10pm-midnight 6/24)

- Web (Sunday 9pm-11pm 6/30)
See more
See less

MCombat 4.1 Update Info

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kurzon
    started a topic MCombat 4.1 Update Info

MCombat 4.1 Update Info

FOREWORD

MCombat update 4.1 is an ability overhaul for MCombat 4 with a goal of simplifying and quickening combat so that less time can be spent calculating and more time actually fighting. To achieve this, MCombat 4.1 removes Action Points, takes buff/debuff abilities out of the Attack Sequence, removes focus cost from all moves except for one, and replaces the entire ability list with a new set of abilities, only 3 of which you can ever have at any given time.

The basic attacks of cut and thrust have been replaced with a choice of making strong, quick or precise attacks from a "hand" 5 of attacks that are dealt to you at the start of each turn, from a deck of 15 attacks determined by your equipped weapons. The strategic focus now moves away from calculating action points or deciding whether to use an attack ability or debuff ability in your Attack Sequence to deciding which 3 of the 5 attacks you've been dealt to use this turn, and in which order based on the benefits they provide, as well as when it will be most beneficial to use your Active Abilities (buffs and debuffs) before you attack.

MCombat 4.1 also fully implements ranged combat with a particular focus on Sorcery, giving sorcerers a way to duel each other (or other non-sorcerers).

SUMMARY OF CHANGES

- Action Points have been removed. A character is now allowed 3 attacks per Attack Sequence regardless of the type of attack being used.
    - Basic attacks such as cut and thrust have been replaced with three new basic attack types; quick, strong and precise. Each basic attack type has a different perk associated.
    - Basic attacks are now 'dealt' to you at the start of each turn, you're permitted to choose 3 from a hand of 5, which themselves come from a 'deck' of 15 determined by your equipped weapons.
    - All other abilities from MCombat 4.0 have been removed and replaced with a new list of abilities called Active Abilities.
    - Active Abilities are used outside of the Attack Sequence and do no damage but inflict buffs, defuffs, fatigue recovery or other phenomena.
    - A character can only ever have 3 Active Abilities at a time, determined by their equipped weapon(s).
    - Ability names no longer have to be entered when attacking, reducing typing time of chance for typos. Instead, an ability's listed number is entered when using a Basic Attack or Active Ability.
    - Sorcery has been vastly implemented into MCombat and should now be fully functional and competitive with sword/weapons combat.
    - @advance now functions properly to allow ranged characters to attempt to keep melee fighters at a distance.
    Last edited by Kurzon; 04-06-2019, 04:52 AM.

• Kurzon
    replied
    2019-06-11

BALANCE CHANGES

* Fatigue recovery from one handed sword ability 'Deflection' has been reduced from a straight 10% fatigue per turn (15% Master version) to 1% fatigue per rest skill level per turn (1.5% per rest skill in Master version)
    * Shield focus attack 'Shield Slam' no longer grants a fatigue recovery effect
    * Shield focus attack 'Shield Slam' now taunts the target

BUG FIXES

* Polearm focus attack 'Impale' now properly removes focus points on use

Leave a comment:

• Halvard
    replied
    I'm not sure it's currently used in MCombat, and if it isn't whether or not there are plans for it, but I just thought of a use for Retire in MCombat. Maybe it can be used to reduce the damage of opportunity attacks made against you when @advancing out of an area. That way it can be a valuable skill for ranged combatants as well.

Leave a comment:

• Kurzon
    replied
    2019-05-30

[4.1.2]

MECHANICS UPDATES

* Sorcery spell Othek (palai) has been added to @ability
    * Sorcery spell Purap (fortis) has been added to @ability
    * Sorcery spell Otheki (communis) has been added to @ability
    * The rest skill now passively restores fatigue at the end of each turn, at a rate of 1% of your maximum fatigue per level in rest
    * MCombat now grants CombatXP

BALANCE CHANGES

* A shield equipped in the off hand now grants SPPQQ cards to your attack deck (previously granted SSPQQ)
    * Offensive expertise has been added; every skill level in cut, thrust and feint increases your physical melee damage output by an additional 2% per level regardless of whether the attack is a cut or thrust based ability
    * Defensive expertise has been added; every skill level in guard, recover and attacking reduces all physical melee damage you take by -2% per level

BUG FIXES

* Distant Stance (polearm active #2) should now grant focus when attacked
    * Shield slam (shield focus ability) now properly emits a successful hit to the target (instead of emitting twice to the attacker)
    * Shield slam now properly grants its fatigue recovery buff on the user
    * Hilt strike now properly inflicts its damage taken debuff on the target
    Last edited by Kurzon; 05-30-2019, 06:17 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Halvard
    replied
    Thanks! I know you're probably swamped with work so thanks for the quick response.

Leave a comment:

• Kurzon
    replied
    These two issues should now be fixed.

Leave a comment:

• Halvard
    replied
    Originally posted by Kurzon View Post
    2019-05-14

MECHANICS UPDATES

* You can no longer wield or dual wield a weapon, or wear or shift a shield outside of your MCombat turn (so remember to wield your equipment before entering combat!)
    * Wielding or dual wielding a weapon, or wearing or shifting a shield limits you to committing 1 attack for that MCombat turn
    Just had an MCombat fight, and Tine was able to shift her shield off-turn as well as make three attacks when it got to her turn. She has no skill level in Shield, however, so that might have something to do with it.

Also, unfortunately, Longsword Focus attack continues hitting if the target is knocked out of MCombat before the attack is finished, which damages their fatigue for real, even if it was a practice fight.
    Last edited by Halvard; 05-15-2019, 04:16 PM. Reason: Another thing.

Leave a comment:

• Kurzon
    replied
    2019-05-14

[4.1.1]

MECHANICS UPDATES

* You can no longer wield or dual wield a weapon, or wear or shift a shield outside of your MCombat turn (so remember to wield your equipment before entering combat!)
    * Wielding or dual wielding a weapon, or wearing or shifting a shield limits you to committing 1 attack for that MCombat turn
    * Unwearing/unwielding of equipment can still be done without limitation or penalty

BALANCE CHANGES

* The -30% outgoing damage penalty while equipping a shield is now reduced by 2% per level in shield skill, reducing the total penalty from -30% to -10% by level 10 shield skill. Shield was the only weapon skill that wasn't somehow affecting your damage, and since it was also only affecting your #3 active ability, the benefits of leveling up shield skill were very negligible compared to any other weapon skill
    * Shields no longer grant an additional -50% damage reduction bonus vs projectiles, but they still disable the +50% damage bonus that projectiles get vs all unshielded characters (in other words: ranged damage is now 100% vs shielded and 150% vs unshielded as opposed to 50% vs shielded and 150% vs unshielded)

BUG FIXES

* Fixed bug where system would show both attacker and defender achieving full focus points whenever the attacker does
    * Fixed a bug where the active ability 'shaft sweep' would error out on use for basic and master levels
    * Fixed a bug where the focus attack 'impale' would error out on use
    * Fixed a bug where upskills would error out if you had no dodge or feint skill
    Last edited by Kurzon; 05-30-2019, 04:52 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Gabs
    replied
    Huzzah!

Leave a comment:

• Kurzon
    replied
    Works for me!

Leave a comment:

• Gabs
    replied
    I find it a little silly my character is now Master in shields, even though she never ICly learned to use one, just because of her guard skill. It makes no sense to me. I would trade all 8 levels of it back for that one level of dualwield she lost instead if it were possible.*shrugs*
    Last edited by Gabs; 05-07-2019, 06:34 PM. Reason: Typos.

Leave a comment:

• Kurzon
    replied
    Originally posted by Petrisfied View Post
    I had Master Adept Dualwield before @mcombat, and Zero after it. I do not think it properly gave me the skill I had. Sword two hand is the same as it was, sword onehand decreased by one rank, and dual wield disappeared completely. I see Petris using two Watch short swords much more readily than a dagger in sidearm, but that's my own impression of his skills.

But He definitely had dualwield before the update.
    He didn't have it "unlocked"; he was able to get it because he is a knight and being a knight used to automatically permit you to put upskill points into any weapon skill without having to file and request a certain skill be 'unlocked' to place points into. With this release, since we automatically receive the max level we qualify for in every weapon skill we have unlocked, knights no longer automatically get all of the weapon skills unlocked (if they did they'd be getting a set of 8x Master'ish level weapon skills, which is quite higher than intended given most Knights only have 1 or 2 Master dueling skills to begin with).

VPs in general should consult with Plotter Staff to see which martial skills we feel they're supposed to have, and we can manually adjust their skills if there is some discrepancy. Most martial VPs should also have a page in their VP twiki that goes over their martial skills, their preferred fighting and weapon styles, and the guidelines around which martial skills they will teach and under what circumstances; if Petris does not have one such page let me know and I'll see what I can dig up.

Leave a comment:

• Petrisfied
    replied
    I had Master Adept Dualwield before @mcombat, and Zero after it. I do not think it properly gave me the skill I had. Sword two hand is the same as it was, sword onehand decreased by one rank, and dual wield disappeared completely. I see Petris using two Watch short swords much more readily than a dagger in sidearm, but that's my own impression of his skills.

But He definitely had dualwield before the update.

Leave a comment:

• Kurzon
    replied
    2019-05-07

There's been a significant update to upskills, which also required an upskill reset which will take place the next time you use the @mcombat command.

1. The @upskill command is no longer used to handle upskills. Instead it is automatically triggered when you use the @mcombat command.

The reason for this change is twofold; firstly, a number of characters weren't receiving the automatic upskill refresh on login. After toying around with it for about a month, I haven't been able to determine why, only that the error isn't actually mcombat related but some kind of bug affecting login scripts in general, therefore tieing the reset to an @command ensures the reset doesn't fail to trigger when it needs to.

Secondly, it was observed that some people were deliberately stalling using their upskill points until their martial skills were higher, therefore granting more upskill points - that's not how the command was intended to be used. Upskill is meant to grant 'gratuity' skill ups for weapon skills that characters reasonably ought to have had by now, save for the fact that those weapon skills didn't actually exist to be taught for the first 17 years of the game. Characters created after the point that those skills were introduced, or who learned higher martial skills after that point, should not therefore be able to receive 'retconned' skill ups they never would have ICly known to begin with. Entering mcombat requires you to use the @mcombat command, which now automatically triggers your upskill, combating this exploit.

2. You no longer receive points to distribute into skills, instead, your weapon skills are automatically granted based on your dueling skills. Because of this, knights no longer automatically receive every skill as an option. Shields have additionally been opened up to everyone due to somewhat increased use since upskills was first released, but free skillups in shield come at a reduced rate for non guardsmen because they're still not very commonly used outside the Army.

* If you have at least level 5 cut, you receive 1 level of two handed sword per level of cut.
    * If you have at least level 5 thrust, you receive 1 level of one handed sword per level of thrust.
    * If you have at least level 5 guard, you receive 1 level of shield per 2 levels of guard.
    * If you are on the Guard roster, you receive 1 level of shield per level in guard.
    * If you are on the Guard roster, you receive 1 level of polearm per level of thrust.
    * If you previously had one handed bludgeon, you receive 1 level of one handed bludgeon per level of cut.
    * If you previously had two handed bludgeon, you receive 1 level of two handed bludgeon per level of cut.
    * If you previously had dual wielding, you receive 1 level of dualwield per level of cut or thrust (whichever is lower)
    * If you have feint or attacking, you receive 1 level of sidearm per level of feint or attacking (whichever is higher)

After a lot of finagling, we've never been able to get upskill points to a good place. Inevitably some people feel spread too thin when trying to divide their points up evenly, while others do the opposite and dump all their points into one or two high skills getting, say, three level 7 weapon skills when they only had one level 7 dueling skill to begin with. There isn't a happy medium, so we've decided to try the route of automatic generation. You no longer have to worry about where to put your skill points, they're automatically granted based on your skill with the dueling skill that most affects that weapon - swinging weapons are affected by cut, thrusting weapons by thrust, shields by guard and a few other less common fighting styles being affected by less common dueling skills.

This route also adds a bit more room for flexibility, if your character has historically been roleplayed as using either a shortsword or a longsword, you're not forced to choose between the two or split between them at a cost of minmax disadvantaging yourself; instead you're simply given the according skill levels for whatever weapons your character was already most efficient with in Duel 2.0.

I think this update will put us in a good place, and for most people won't significantly affect their skill tally unless they were one of the outliers we were deliberately hoping to fix.
    Last edited by Kurzon; 05-07-2019, 03:10 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Kurzon
    replied
    2019-05-06

* Fixed bug where the polearm ability 'shaft sweep' (#3) would error out
    * Fixed bug where the longsword ability 'two handed parrying' (#3) would error out at 'basic' level
    * Fixed bug where active abilities worked even while it's not your turn
    * Fixed bug where sorcerers would sometimes be invulnerable (never lose fatigue when attacked)
    * Fixed bug where @combatants was not properly displaying a character's target if taunted
    * Fixed bug where characters would still act as though they were taunted even after taunt wears off
    Last edited by Kurzon; 05-06-2019, 07:56 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X