@hot changes?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• @hot changes?

Is there a reason for the @hot changes aside from forcing people to go to where a hotspot would normally be?, I understand there are still people whom only log in to erp or what not but a bit of us do use this to find rp.

It's to make you ask questions.

Just kidding.

I noticed this earlier, too, and was like... I'm gonna die without my @hotspot. It's used as much as who is.

But, I'll survive....I hope. LOL
    Honored Guest
    Acting Leader of the Awakeners
    Royal Page
    Keeper of Games
    Seeker in the Faith

Currently studying sculpting as a:
    Member of the College of Humanities
    Mummer in The Unity

Comment

Not a fan of this at all. A negative quality of life change for me.

I'm one of the weird ones who like it when people show up to a public area they see on the @hot to get in on a little RP. Like last time it was tried, it wont actually help encourage more RP. It'll be people running to where they are allowed to @hot, and bowing then leaving again, if they even want to take the time to do that.

No @hotspot at all, and i'll probably get distracted looking at other websites in my boredom, and miss anyone that happens to randomly pass through. I dont think this will stick around, but if it does and gets worse, well...Strength to your quest.

Last edited by Aptaliesin; 09-01-2019, 04:05 PM. Reason: Deleting some frustration, trying to give clearer thoughts.

Comment

I agree. I don't like the change. I would use @hot to find out where the people are. It was handy if I wanted to get straight to the crowd, or, conversely, if I wanted to avoid crowds. It also helped me to know if there was an impromptu practice going on. Invaluable for all sorts of reasons, without any kind of exploitation being necessary.
        Hildegard
        Hildegard Helmsdottir
        Battler
        Awakener

Comment

The forums are useful for knowing when stuff is being held. People should really be using them, imo. As for hotspots, I've never been a fan, but that's probably just me >.<. There's NOTHING more annoying to me than trying to have a meeting with someone and Billybob 'randomly' shows up to a place they would NEVER normally go to at that specific time (magically). This has happened to me on numerous occasions which means then I'm limited to private rooms ... and, of course, if you take people in a private room then everybody IG assumes you're bow-chicka-bow-bowing even if it's due to OOC mechanics not affording privacy when there are 2 or 3 people in a room.

It could also be that I consider a 'hotspot' more like 5+ people. A pair of people sitting down and chatting doesn't warrant a dot for booming activity. I much prefer people actively seeking out others for RP and don't figure it should be that hard considering most people loiter in the same handful of places the majority of the time.

That said, I don't think it's anything worth losing players over, or worth anybody quitting the game over, either way. It's a feature and love of the game shouldn't depend upon its existence.
          Acolyte Natura of the Faith
          Courtier
          Head of Household for her Ladyship Sinvy
          Leader of the Stylists
          Mistress of Entertainments
          Patron of the Duelists
          Royal Artist
          Ranger Recruit
          Squire to Dame Galatea

Comment

Josie's P... You're awesome.

Bow-chicka-bow-bowing made me LOL while at work. Good thing I wasn't on a call.
            Honored Guest
            Acting Leader of the Awakeners
            Royal Page
            Keeper of Games
            Seeker in the Faith

Currently studying sculpting as a:
            Member of the College of Humanities
            Mummer in The Unity

Comment

Here's an example of what I mean. I checked the forums today and there was no mention of a practice today. So I logged on and spent forever and a day trying on a new outfit and switching stuff from purse to purse in my room. Then I went to the Great Bridge and did the hot command. It showed seven people in the practice room. So I rushed back to my room to change and rushed to the practice room but I had missed a lot of it that I wouldn't have if the hot command hadn't been changed. This isn't an isolated incident because impromptu marshal practices happen a lot. It's not as big a deal for players of male characters. However, seras can't run out to see if there's anyone in the practice hall without putting lots of layers on, which is very counterproductive. Sure, they could try it in their fighting clothes, but they risk being looked upon with disfavor if there is not, in fact, a practice going on.
              Hildegard
              Last edited by PaladinHeart; 09-01-2019, 07:02 PM.
              Hildegard Helmsdottir
              Battler
              Awakener

Comment

Well, I was going to make a post, but ya'll beat me to it.

As noted, @hotspots now requires you to actually be in a hotspot to use it. This was implemented to deter a troublesome trend that has existed since the introduction of @hotspots where people would only emerge from their rooms to seek roleplay when there were already existing crowds on @hotspots.

I've discussed in other threads in the past how a good amount of roleplay is generated by players simply wandering their characters to find out what is occurring and running into other people in the process of doing the same, and how features such as @hotspots have robbed the community of that roleplay by answering that question for players without the need to come out and interact. The impact is starkly notable when comparing present Castle Marrach to the game's earlier days when locations such as the IB Fountain were such heavy RP gathering sites; people liked to watch the images in the fountain for roleplayers much akin to how @hotspots is used now, and would stand by said fountain in public when looking for RP. Those players would then be stumbled upon by others looking to do the same, and roleplay commences. This in contrast to the scenario we've had over the last few years, where people simply use the @hotspots command from their guest room to achieve the same.

In truth there was some discussion and pressure to remove the @hotspots command altogether (my preference, as I believe it's hindering roleplay more than helping it) but we opted for a compromise: the command in its present incarnation can still be used to achieve everything described by above posters, it just can't be done without coming out of your room. We've also allowed, for now, that Premium players can still use the command anywhere, only because I don't think they receive nearly enough for their money, however there's no promise that this will remain the case. If players opt to just emerge from their rooms to check @hotspots then run back to their room, welp so be it. People do the same thing with scroll checks presently and a good deal of spontaneous roleplay is still generated by players running into one another during scroll checks.

I don't expect it to be a popular change - by its very nature it is a change meant to interfere with a popular form of behaviour. It is, however, a change that will only affect people using @hotspots in a way it wasn't intended to be and one that I view as problematic within the community. Given Castle Marrach got by just fine for 15 of its 19 years prior to the creation of the @hotspots command, I think we'll be alright with this middle ground.
                StoryHost Kurzon
                Castle Marrach Staff

kurzon.marrach@outlook.com

The destiny of the world is determined less by the battles that are lost and won than by the stories it loves and believes in.

Comment

Alright sounds good ^.^

Comment

Originally posted by PaladinHeart View Post
                    Here's an example of what I mean. I checked the forums today and there was no mention of a practice today. So I logged on and spent forever and a day trying on a new outfit and switching stuff from purse to purse in my room. Then I went to the Great Bridge and did the hot command. It showed seven people in the practice room. So I rushed back to my room to change and rushed to the practice room but I had missed a lot of it that I wouldn't have if the hot command hadn't been changed. This isn't an isolated incident because impromptu marshal practices happen a lot. It's not as big a deal for players of male characters. However, seras can't run out to see if there's anyone in the practice hall without putting lots of layers on, which is very counterproductive. Sure, they could try it in their fighting clothes, but they risk being looked upon with disfavor if there is not, in fact, a practice going on.
                    Hildegard

I find this to be an extremely valid concern. If i log in and Cant see the practice hall full, I wont be going there. If i go hold a practice, I sort of rely on @hot to let people know I'm there. Come RP.

Its not a good thing, sorry. Restricts RP more than it helps, in my case.

That being said, I'm going to open up my pages so you can page me if there's something going on to draw my attention that way. I hate that I have to do that and make it less organic, but I do remember the times of it not being there, and people paging me to invite me to scenes (and subsequently people bitching about OOC communication) but it kept scene's populated and not so one on one if you are lucky.

As for the forum arguement, I should be using it more, but it scrolls so quickly with mundane and trivial stuff my eyes go blurry trying to follow it, or I'll skip something sandwhiched between two boring things, or SEARCH it for stuff...which a horrible way to keep track of what's going on. "There's a post on that" Oh, sorry, must have missed that one buried under tea socials, and guild trainings, on page four. Ugh.

Is there a way to have an @ Events command, so when you have something you can actually put it there with a time stamp? After an hour or two has passed, it deletes itself to allow more important things to come up?

@event 4LB "Impromptu Practice with Royal Army - Practice Hall"

@event by itself,

EVENTS POSTED Today

2 LB Open Healer's Bells for booboo's.
                    3 LB Tea with whoever likes tea in the cupola
                    4 LB Impromptu Practice with Royal Army - Practice Hall

15th day of the 9th Moon 20th YRA
                    8 LB Masquerade Ball in for Courtiers+ Inner bailey Ballroom.

8th day of the 10th Moon 20th YRA
                    6LB ROYAL COURT

That would seriously help those of us who used @hot legitimately without the need for being paged or paging others to invite.

Comment

I think this is probably a good idea overall. Also I'd probably agree with Josie's P that we could potentially go back up to three person per hotspot, I feel like active players have risen since that change was made.

I do also sympathise with Hildegard's player's point, but I think that's a separate discussion worth having, whether it's worth inconveniencing such a large proportion of the player base over such a weird and narrow view of verisimilitude.

Comment

Well here is my two cents.

I actually use it to see where the RP is to join it not to ask people what's going on, because when I normally wake there are like 5 people online and so going to look for them is pointless.

If anything, I would lower hotspot to 1 person. Because if someone is out there, standing to look for RP, I wanna join them.

Mistress Tristana

Member of Her Majesty's Court
                        Embinder/Hairstylist
                        Aide for the Healers
                        Patron of the Embinders
                        Scribe of the Chambers

Comment

Maybe a way to toggle it somehow? @hotspot turns it off and on so if people want to invite RP to their location they can (like to the practice hall) and if not (like for secret meetings) then it's not listed.

I still genuinely believe it's an unnecessary command on the whole and would get rid of it completely myself. If you're awake and only 5 other people are online it's easy to just go to one of the usually populated spots (where most people will) and loiter there for RP rather than loitering in your room and waiting for @hotspots to show up. I generally only hang out in my room if I'm working on OOC stuff like Twiki or am going to be @away for an extended period of time due to real life, but that's me.
                          Acolyte Natura of the Faith
                          Courtier
                          Head of Household for her Ladyship Sinvy
                          Leader of the Stylists
                          Mistress of Entertainments
                          Patron of the Duelists
                          Royal Artist
                          Ranger Recruit
                          Squire to Dame Galatea

Comment

Originally posted by Josie_Brennan View Post
                            Maybe a way to toggle it somehow? @hotspot turns it off and on so if people want to invite RP to their location they can (like to the practice hall) and if not (like for secret meetings) then it's not listed.
                            I love that idea, some iteration of that would be amazing imho.

Comment

Chiming in here to say, @hotspot isn't really necessary. If I can bring my UB character through the caves and find people to RP with, people can manage to do it from the safety of their guest rooms.

I can see Adahn's P's point of wanting to get practices organized effectively, but...part of the RP should be, heading to the boards, making a post that there's a practice either later that day or starting right now, etc. Then once the post has been made you have to walk by or through 2-3 of the hotspots anyway so what are a few more virtual steps to let people know or remind them about a practice starting while on the way to said practice. Finally, there's a horn that was placed in the practice hall to specifically give a practice holder the opportunity to notify about 85% of the castle that there's people in the practice hall. I want to add that this wasn't meant to pick on you specifically (since that's usually how my tone is perceived), just pointing out ways to promote more RP rather relying on commands. Also the @event idea would be pretty cool to have.

There are certainly situations where @hotspot would be an easy resource to utilize and maybe making it able to be toggled is a good potential middle ground? As Kurzon mentioned, CM survived and actually thrived more than its doing now before @hotspot became a thing. But good RP comes to those who actively seek it, and it doesn't always come from the room with the biggest crowd.

Thanks for coming to my TED Talk.

Comment

Working...
                              X