Announcement

Collapse
1 of 5 < >

Forums Reversion

The cloud server that hosts the main Skotos web site and the forums experienced a hardware failure on Saturday morning that unfortunately led to severe database corruption. Several attempts to restore it failed.

This led us to our backups, but the timing was a bit unfortunate. Since the failure occurred on a weekend morning, we didn't see it until after a new backup occurred, which contained the corrupted data, and which removed our previous daily backup. This forced us to our weekly backup, which was unfortunately at the end of its time: six days old.

So, the forums are back, but we had a six-day reversion.

This should not have affects on the rest of the site, since the majority of our data is saved in our main-user-database or our games, all on remote machines.
2 of 5 < >

Forums REversion

The cloud server that hosts the main Skotos web site and the forums experienced a hardware failure on Saturday morning that unfortunately led to severe database corruption. Several attempts to restore it failed.

This led us to our backups, but the timing was a bit unfortunate. Since the failure occurred on a weekend morning, we didn't see it until after a new backup occurred, which contained the corrupted data, and which removed our previous daily backup. This forced us to our weekly backup, which was unfortunately at the end of its time: six days old.

This should not have affects on the rest of the site, since the majority of our data is saved in our main-user-database or our games, all on remote machines.
3 of 5 < >

Forums REversion

4 of 5 < >

Forums REversion

5 of 5 < >

Forums REversion

See more
See less

@hot changes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's strange to see the stress over this.

I mean, you guys who go to BG practices...

They're pretty consistently held at the same time literally every day. From mid-evening onward, the practice hall almost always seems to have someone in it. The chances in the evening of someone being in the practice hall are about 80%.

Though, honestly, between my chars, I see most people stand there anyway and do not much or just skid past people while running to the active hotspot instead of trying to engage who is there on the way.

Why do you NEED hot spots from ya bedroom to function in a social game? However, if you need a cheat sheet on the normal places people RP...

OB:

Cupola - Not really as often, but if the next 2-3 places fail..
    Dining Hall Area
    Practice Room - high chance from mid-afternoon till early, early morning
    Infirmary - if Diana's on.

IB:

Great Hall - They posted a courier there, so even if you wanted to just check/write scrolls, you're going to get shanghaied by people. That was WAY more bothersome than losing hot spots, tbh.
    The Library - Noticed people there more than usual, but I wouldn't make it my first stop.
    The IB Ballroom - every Friday
    Middle of the Bridge - If no one is there, stand there for about 15 mins in the evening, tend some scrolls, and I promise people will show up.
    The IB Forest - For now, there's people scattered through there. Collect them like Pokemon.

Most other rooms, if someone is off in them, they're probably either TSing or having a scene and don't want randos wandering in because of an OOC command. I always find it so jarring if I'm trying to have some conversation in a not usually used room and suddenly 1-3 people stumble in because of hot spots.

Also, the IBCY/Mid-Bridge have features that let you see into other rooms. Specifically rooms that usually have people in them. L images (for those who might have missed it).

Comment

Using @hotspot to drop in on people out of the blue seems like the intended use of @hotspot, if you ask me. I do, however, think that many rooms should be taken off the @hotspot potential list completely, and while I do like the idea of being able to temporarily disable a @hotspot, I can see a lot of potential for abuse. I actually really enjoy the idea of the '@event' command, though.

Historically, I tried not to use @hotspots to appear in places my character would not normally be, and this definitely comes down to RP. As one example, Guard characters have the excuse of being on patrol, but my character has little reason to climb to the theatre at 1am, or even be in the IB at all. On the flipside of being unable to find RP, knowing that of the 15 people online, 2 are idle, 6 are in the IB garden, and 6 people are in the practice room lets me know that racing around the OB trying to find someone to RP with is not going to be very fruitful.

It also lets me gauge the scale of interaction I am capable of at any given time. Are there only two people in the dining hall? Well, that's a decent opportunity for some small talk. Are there nine or ten? Not so much for me, but if in the right mood, I'd more than gladly watch the scene unfold. Four people online and all are in the practice hall? Well, normally I never would, but let's say that "in the quiet hours, I heard the ringing of steel on steel" and so uncustomarily wandered over to the practice hall to observe.

Additionally, I will come right out and say that the @hotspots tool is invaluable for soothing my social anxiety. It lets me prepare for potential RP ahead of time and 'get into the mood', so to speak. Attempting to race my character around the castle exploring for people can make my heart race around my chest, as I will undoubtedly need to come up with a decent reason for my character arriving in whatever unexpected place people are discovered, which can really detract from the enjoyment of expected social interactions. If I -know- where I will find people, then I am braced for people, sort of like wanting to know the temperature of the water before jumping right in.

I would rather tie the tool to a measurable in-game function, such as the @kudos command. Perhaps require someone to give at least 5 Kudos and receive 1 in the previous 30 days in order to activate the @hotspot command. Abuse is not necessarily prevented, BUT, the tool does record who uses it and when and for who, so an audit of who is abusing the @kudos system would be far easier than tracking down people who abuse the @hotspots command (afaik). I'd also still remove many rooms off the @hotspot list either way.

Alternatively, could the @hotspots command be made to give a general idea of how many people are in the OB/IB/UB, rather than list where they are?
      ~Ser Talic, H.G.~

Comment

For the people who want to use @hotspot so they don't run into rp they didn't want to run into, try looking ahead to where you're going next.

For example, before entering the courtyard, I do a l south doorway or l north ooor (depending on which entrance I'm coming from) to see who's there. If it's empty, fine. If there's people I want to RP with, great! If there's people I hate RPing with (who are rare), I decide to come back to the courtyard later.

Try looking ahead to where you're going? That may be an alternative to @hotspot in this one case. As far as using it to find RP, I haven't found it difficult to get to a hotspot to use @hotspot lately...

Just saying,
        This is not such a big deal...

Comment

I think, for me, it's more than just seeing where the hotspots are. It's, actually, become a habit. I'm in the middle of a thought, and I'm curious to see who is on and where they are. So I who and @hotspot. Do I use it to find RP? Not usually. I know where to go when I want to speak to people. More often than not, when I see 7 people in the practice room, I head somewhere else.
          -Taite-
          Royal Page
          Honored Guest
          Keeper of Games
          Seeker in the Faith
          Secretary to Lady Charmiam
          Acting Leader of the Awakeners

Currently studying sculpting as a:
          Member of the College of Humanities
          Masque in The Unity

Comment

Originally posted by Talic View Post
            Additionally, I will come right out and say that the @hotspots tool is invaluable for soothing my social anxiety. It lets me prepare for potential RP ahead of time and 'get into the mood', so to speak. Attempting to race my character around the castle exploring for people can make my heart race around my chest, as I will undoubtedly need to come up with a decent reason for my character arriving in whatever unexpected place people are discovered, which can really detract from the enjoyment of expected social interactions. If I -know- where I will find people, then I am braced for people, sort of like wanting to know the temperature of the water before jumping right in.
            There are other commands for this though. I generally type "look/examine north door" before entering the typical "hotspots" because I would look through a door before walking through it IRL.

[The rest is not addressed to Talic's P]

I think another major issue that's grown more and more since I began playing is people are no longer making action or RP where they are, too many people have grown to expect RP to already be somewhere for them to wander up to. I can't count how many times I've had people blow by my character(s), no doubt on the way to one of the populated areas. A few times I've sat Atmos out on the bench in the OBCY (weather permitting) to see just how many people would cruise on through and the number is 'too damn high'. I'm guilty of it occasionally if Atmos comes across a character that he wouldn't normally talk with anyway, I use it as an excuse.

Basically, I think we all (and I mean that figuratively, since I'm sure people will think I'm speaking to them specifically) need to strive to create meaningful RP where we're at, instead of constantly checking things like who and @hotspots, on the search for the next big scene to hop into. Instead, create the big scene until we have 10-15 different big scenes happening all over the mountain.

Comment

@eventing I think is a good idea, BUT, would it take away from us going to the board to 'read' it?

Essentially, I could see this going well, but then again, I could see it being a pain in the rear end.

When you hold a bell, basically, you want the whole realm to know you're holding a bell, and the more people that attend, the better. Adahn's short list could potentially be very long with many bells all happening at once and everyone wanting to put their name out there. Even if we just limit it to a few people @eventing, this could lead to bells will not be added to the list or just the important events being added.

IMO I think it would be better to get a collaborative calendar in which people can put up their own events, and you can choose which bells and events you want to set an alert for. These alerts can have the link in which you can take a second look at to see if you need to bring anything.

How much work do we want to do to skip over the unwanted posts in the forums?
              -Taite-
              Royal Page
              Honored Guest
              Keeper of Games
              Seeker in the Faith

Masque in The Unity

Comment

I rarely use @hotspot, in fact I didn't even know it existed for several months after I started playing. I have a couple of random things which may or may not add to the discussion.

Currently, anyone lurking in any outside space hoping for RP is not going to get much beyond "Why are you standing out here? Are you mad? Let's go somewhere warm."

Use the props provided - need to refer to the Great Chain? Go to the Chamberlain's noticeboard outside his office and read it. Want to refer to a chronicle? Go to the Lecture Hall (or the Royal Library) and look at the tomes. Posting a notice, or reading notices? Go to the bridge.

If you are looking for a chronicler, go to the Clocktower and ring the bell. Or if you want a person, go and knock on their door or ring their bell. RP it! You will meet people along the way.

Don't wait for events for role-play, or look for two or more people gathered in one place. Seek and ye shall find.

Mistress Tine
                Chronicler of the Court
                Squire to Sir Edstave
                Junior Equerry to Lord Dolph Li'astri

Comment

Originally posted by Taite View Post

IMO I think it would be better to get a collaborative calendar in which people can put up their own events, and you can choose which bells and events you want to set an alert for. These alerts can have the link in which you can take a second look at to see if you need to bring anything.

How much work do we want to do to skip over the unwanted posts in the forums?
                  We already have an event calendar. The problem is, people don't bother reporting changes or additions to the Chambers and it gets stale.

Far too often people say "We need this," or "X is broke and we need to fix," and don't realize this game has existed for a long time in gaming years, some of this stuff already exists in one form or another, and much of the onus is on the players to do the work, and not staff. All of Skotos' games are player-run games.

Ordained Knight of the Realm
                  Equerry to Prince Bertram
                  Rangers Recruit
                  Embinder Hobbyist

Comment

Also, FYI, we had an event calendar on Google all last year that pcs could use and add to. I maybe saw one other person use it and finally gave up when I realized NOBODY was utilizing it even after I pointed it out numerous times. The reason? Nobody can be bothered to look at 'extra sites' outside the game for the game. It feels like work, people log in to play and not have to add more to their schedule, etc.

As for unwanted forum posts, we could cut down on those a lot if people would not post their bell a week or month early and then post reminders of their bells every day for the duration of that time. The problem is that people don't check the forums regularly, so if you don't nudge the posts up or get them stickied with approval then it's likely people are going to say they had no idea you were even hosting bells or an event that day, they just can't keep track of so much, etc., which just means people are really only looking at the first page of the forums and then closing it out rather than looking at the last date posted on it. I think that's operator tendency and preference though, maybe not something we can necessarily do anything about. If people want to know what's going on then it's not too hard to figure out, either by reading the forums or asking around IG so someone who has read them can share the information.
                    Acolyte Natura of the Faith
                    Head of Household for her Ladyship Sinvy
                    Leader of the Stylists
                    Mistress of Entertainments
                    Ordained Knight
                    Patron of the Duelists
                    Royal Artist
                    Ranger Recruit

Comment

We had a google calendar?
                      -Taite-
                      Royal Page
                      Honored Guest
                      Keeper of Games
                      Seeker in the Faith

Masque in The Unity

Comment

Awww, can't believe there was a good calendar before my time! I would totally have used that.

Hildegard
                        Hildegard Helmsdottir
                        Battler
                        Awakener

Comment

I suppose when it comes down to it, this change to the command seems to have been made primarily to disadvantage the people who really weren't taking advantage of the command in the first place. For those who did use the command appropriately and conservatively, the change is more restrictive to the ability to continue doing so. Everyone will survive without it, sure, but it seems like rolling back a positive change for a negative reason.

If I can recall correctly, some of the motivation behind the command being invented in the first place was to help new players locate RP, and perhaps to aid those who didn't necessarily want to commit 5+ minutes to searching the castle to find someone to RP with during their lunch break, both of which are still ongoing. If there is some abuse of the command to seek out people 'magically', I think those need to be addressed differently.
                          ~Ser Talic, H.G.~

Comment

Originally posted by Talic View Post
                            If I can recall correctly, some of the motivation behind the command being invented in the first place was to help new players locate RP, and perhaps to aid those who didn't necessarily want to commit 5+ minutes to searching the castle to find someone to RP with during their lunch break, both of which are still ongoing. If there is some abuse of the command to seek out people 'magically', I think those need to be addressed differently.
                            This is all but negated by the Awakeners, Kimberlin and the fact that you have to go to pretty much every hotspot that a new character has access to in order to complete the new guest quest.

Additionally, in my experience (because I've tried and constantly try), you're not going to find meaningful RP during a lunch break. Too often I've entered mid-way into a scene or had to have Atmos suddenly just walk off because it was time to go. The best I usually hope for is doing a "scroll check", with the couriers having conveniently moved to the areas where more people congregate to catch someone for a quick, "Anything going on?".

Hotspot *was* used for your aforementioned purposes, but other features implemented into the game since then have made that specific command a kind of "cheat" so that people just know where to go - or where to avoid in some cases - when it used to require observation and actual RP to find that information out. Scaling it down to its current functionality is a pretty good compromise. I will say that maybe adding the practice hall to the list might make it a little more appealing to the people who can't get through the day without it.

Comment

Originally posted by PaladinHeart View Post
                              Awww, can't believe there was a good calendar before my time! I would totally have used that.

Hildegard
                              We have a calendar. I keep a post updated constantly, when people send Setsuna IC notification of events. It's daily, it's stickied in the forums, and it's IC. There is also a thread for events that aren't daily/weekly.

If you want to use it, send a scroll icly. It's been a thing for over a year now, and I worked my ass off to make sure it was kept up.
                              ~Initiate Sorceress
                              ~Courtier of the Winter Court
                              ~Apprentice Cook to the Master Chef
                              ~Scribe of the Royal Chambers

Comment

And you are doing a great job at it. Thank you for all of the help!
                                -Taite-
                                Royal Page
                                Honored Guest
                                Keeper of Games
                                Seeker in the Faith

Masque in The Unity

Comment

Working...