Making a dull alt interesting

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making a dull alt interesting

Lately I have been pondering what to do with Jayland.
    Yes, he's a Guildleader of the Awakener's and such--but not forever. I fully know that there will come a time when he'll step down from the position (and hopefully not forced), and with the possibility of promotion into the Inner Bailey too remote (sorry, but after speaking with a few SP's last November--knowing the Prince just is not going to get him a free ride to the top), I'd figured he would make a good Carprenter. He's even sent off a scroll to the Master Crafter offering to become a Apprentice well over a month ago, and just lately to Victor to learn the art of the Two-Handed Sword.

Why?

I'm trying to make him interesting, more dimentional.
    Right now he's flat. The Battler's matter is slowing winding down, and the Affair with the Sorcerer's is dead..

In other words, I'd like him to be out on the forefront--maybe take some of the strain off of Gareth.

I'm currently looking for hooks (last Saturday's affair with Robert was great, inspite being called out of the deep tunnels by a SC to help with a new arrival), so if anyone wants to dangle one......

Darren

Re: Making a dull alt interesting

Originally posted by Darren Brimhall
    Lately I have been pondering what to do with Jayland.
    Yes, he's a Guildleader of the Awakener's and such--but not forever. I fully know that there will come a time when he'll step down from the position (and hopefully not forced), and with the possibility of promotion into the Inner Bailey too remote (sorry, but after speaking with a few SP's last November--knowing the Prince just is not going to get him a free ride to the top), I'd figured he would make a good Carprenter. He's even sent off a scroll to the Master Crafter offering to become a Apprentice well over a month ago, and just lately to Victor to learn the art of the Two-Handed Sword.

Why?

I'm trying to make him interesting, more dimentional.
    Right now he's flat. The Battler's matter is slowing winding down, and the Affair with the Sorcerer's is dead..

In other words, I'd like him to be out on the forefront--maybe take some of the strain off of Gareth.

I'm currently looking for hooks (last Saturday's affair with Robert was great, inspite being called out of the deep tunnels by a SC to help with a new arrival), so if anyone wants to dangle one......

Darren
    Well, I happen to know a small hook is heading your way, look to the inner baily for details. (not saying any more)

Comment

If you have to ask, you're not really looking that well.

No offense Darren, but the hooks are everywhere.
      To conquer without risk, is to succeed without glory

Comment

Try TEC instead. *nods to herself*

Comment

Somehow I doubt that would solve Jayland's problem. Also it's missing the topic and thirdly (at least to my eyes) your post gets across the wrong impression - that you're trying to stir up some kind of 'which game is better' discussion which I'm sure you didn't have in mind.

We've all been there and done that after all. I think I got the t-shirt somewhere among the Woodstock memorabilia.
          "When you become obsessed with the enemy you become the enemy."

-- Jeffery Sinclair, Babylon 5

"The lack of context is refreshing."

--SG Dimuzi

Comment

Originally posted by Garrik
            If you have to ask, you're not really looking that well.

No offense Darren, but the hooks are everywhere.

But where?
            It's one thing to see things happen before your eyes, quite another to either be dragged into them or fall into them accidentally. Even more to be invited to participate in such.

Granted, I do often walk past things I 'm sorely looking for. But I am not going to interrupt the exchange that occured last night between Sir's Darvius and Alirk, that happened right before me outside the IB Guard Room, by offering my services or asking them about their meeting.
            A hook it may have been, but was it the apporperate one for me to take? Not every hook is like that. And I'm not about to rudely barrell in on another player's plot, unless it effects Jayland in some critical matter.

Darren

Comment

But where?
              It's one thing to see things happen before your eyes, quite another to either be dragged into them or fall into them accidentally. Even more to be invited to participate in such.

Granted, I do often walk past things I 'm sorely looking for. But I am not going to interrupt the exchange that occured last night between Sir's Darvius and Alirk, that happened right before me outside the IB Guard Room, by offering my services or asking them about their meeting.
              A hook it may have been, but was it the apporperate one for me to take? Not every hook is like that. And I'm not about to rudely barrell in on another player's plot, unless it effects Jayland in some critical matter.

Darren
              Oddly, sometimes comversations like that held in public are ment to be listened to and offered to. I know a few nights ago I met a sir and a sera in that same spot, and something they said caught my intrest. So I said something (to the sera first, cant talk directly to the knight till they say Hi.. lucky for us they often do) And bamn. I was in the middle of the conversation and getting asked my view. As well as getting some other info on the matters I wanted to know. Now, I could have been slapped down, but from what I heard I thought I might have something to say, so I took the risk.. and it all worked out. It might be that the two knights you saw would have wanted your view.. or they would have slapped you around verbaly.. you never know till you try

Comment

Sometimes it is simply taking a chance. Not every hook is going to be ambrosia and gum drops, but if you don't bite, you don't get involved. Though, I can see why you might not want to bite for something that could result in a possible conflict that you don't want Jayland involved in.

Comment

Hum, Steve dear, I guess Dumah was answering to that TECer.

Comment

Eh? Oh. I didn't see that post. *promptly edits*

Comment

Personally, I usually have more fun creating my own hooks. Have a competition with yourself...see which hooks you create draw in the most people.

Comment

Easiest hook in the castle?

Watchman Jayland.

Does the hook really lead anywhere? Nah... I mean, to stay in the Watch basically means to not get promoted. The whole "Chain of Command" thing, basically means there will never be more than one Corporal... and possibly, I'd imagine, up to three Armspeople, but by that point there had better be at least 18 or so activish Watch people.
                        20 Duelist hopefuls? Crikey. No wonder there's a fued, we have four deputies. =-P

But, with the joining the Watch thing, you are instantly thrown into many plots, and gain loads of IG responsibility, along with the occasional night of OOC work. I hate those, my log from the Night Jarrod was murdered is 283 pages long in word.
                        Oh yeah, you get to wonder about duckcalls from "A spiral staircase" *Grins*

Join the Watch, and you instantly have things going on, and if you don't like them, it doesn't take much to make some different ones.

-Zeakk

Comment

the Affair with the Sorcerer's is dead..
                          Radorcha hides his head in his hands weaping, "If it is dead then let it die."

Either drop it or we can see it resolved. Only I know you won't like any possible resolution Jayland could currently get from Ra'. The issue will never be dead if you keep bringing it up. Don't wave that flag around unless you really want to stand under it.

As for joining the carpenters, I'm not sure I would ever say gaining a skill makes you more dimensional. Though it really depends on what you mean by dimensional. It also really depends on what you are looking for out of the game. That though sort of goes to the question of what do you enjoy doing when you are playing.

If you like the idea of creating new objects and supplying a service for people, then carpentry might be something to look into. But it can really depend on what you actual enjoy doing and even some on why you initially started to play the game.

idly mused by Ra'

Comment

Its too bad I dont see you around more often. I like Jayland, well... I guess I dont get enough of him because im not around him as much as you are. Its that way with just about everyone isnt it?

Keep in touch, PM me with yahoo messneger. My ID is Fizgot. (and tell me who you are in CM so that I can know who Im talking to)

Comment

Kyle: http://forum.skotos.net/showthread.p...700#post205700
                              "Do you remove pants when you slay those who annoy you?" - former player

Comment

Working...
                              X