A question of clothing...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A question of clothing...

What kind of clothing would you like to be able to wear which is not currently available in the castle ? - whether Inner Bailey or Outer Bailey.
    The answer should be true to the period, and a short description as well if the clothing is unusually named please.
    Current items on the list are (in no particular order)
    Wimple - a variety of veil
    Skull cap
    Sash - for pinning medals/badges upon
    Hose
    Overgown
    Corset
    Longcoat
    Train
    Shawl
    Jerkin
    Cassock
    Kirtle
    Slouch Cap - made of cotton - with a secret pocket
    Thigh high pointed and round toed boots
    Cotellae (or Cotelettes) overdress with short sides and long font
    Sorchaa Ame-du'Challis

Sorchaa,

The following items do already exist in game. Mostly in the Inner Bailey:
    Hose
    Overgown (called overdress)
    Jerkin
    Tall boots

I like the idea of:
    Skull cap for scholar types
    Cassock for acolytes/sorcerers
    Sash for pins/medals

I'm not sure a corset has a place in Marrach. Bodices work well for the OB and skirts, as a rule, are not worn in the IB. Though, I have been pondering it.

Sara
    "Where does innocence end and naivety begin?"
    Handmaiden to Queen Vivienne
    Apprentice to Mistress Ermengarde

Comment

ok..ones i would like to wear?

sash, longcoat,jerken..

stuff you dont have.. hazzard cloak
      there are other things..but cant think about them at the moment

Comment

Sashes exist. Darcient used to wear one.
        Lovecraft Country: Albert Zero
        Castle Marrach: Cody the Blade

StoryCoder Azrael tells StoryHermit Death, "I *did* get told "you're amazing" by a girl when I was saucing my hotdog..."

Comment

Trenchcoat

*smirks and runs*

-Zack
          Never was, and never shall be.

Comment

Originally posted by Angron
            Trenchcoat
            *Imagines Morte with a trenchcoat instead of the stealcloak* :P

(Couldn't resist)
            Rograd's player
            Rograd

Comment

yes, we should be able to have longcoats or trenchcoats

Ser Kaine Crymanwr
              Honoured Guest
              Apprentice to Mistress Zia

OOC Sig.

Today is a good day for Pie

Comment

Jerkins exist too. Grey jerkins are part of the Watch uniform.
                ---
                Sean

Comment

Clothing ideas

How about chain mail...?
                  Carmen

Comment

Ok - sorry if I added things that are already available - I hadn't heard about them - tis all.
                    In that light, new revised list:
                    Wimple
                    Skull cap
                    Corset (meant for this as undergarment as opposed to the bodice worn on display to others)
                    Longcoat
                    Train
                    Shawl
                    Cassock
                    Kirtle
                    Slouch Cap
                    Cotellae (or Cotelettes)
                    Chain Mail****new
                    Hazard Cloak****new (What is this?)

please keep posting, my list is not long enough!
                    Sorchaa
                    Sorchaa Ame-du'Challis

Comment

Actually, mail hauberks, padded gambesons, arming caps, and helmets exist within the castle (though they'll never be dispensed by the tailor or seamstress). There aren't too many in the hands of players yet, though.
                      Michael Blum
                      (former) Game Developer at Skotos Tech

Comment

Definitions for everything you posted:

Wimple - a cloth covering worn over the head and around the neck and chin especially by women in the late medieval period and by some nuns.

Skullcap (which is one word, not two) - a small round hat that fits closely on the top of the head, worn esp. by religious Jewish men or high-ranking Roman Catholic priests.

Corset - a tight piece of underwear made from elasticated material, worn on the middle part of a woman's body to make her waist appear smaller.

Longcoat - (no definition found, not sure this is an official name for a garment.)

Train - the part of a long dress that spreads out onto the floor behind (not a garment, but part of a garment, think wedding dresses).

Shawl (c'mon, who doesn't know this?) - a piece of cloth worn over the shoulders, usually triangular or square folded into a rectangle, frequently fringed.

Cassock - a coat-like item of clothing which reaches nearly to the ground, is loose, usually black and is worn esp. by priests.

Kirtle - underskirt, often with decorative front panels, with or without attached bodice.

Slouch Cap - (can't find any definitions for this.)

Cotellae - (no definition found.)

Chain Mail - flexible body armor made of interlocking metal rings. (Not clothing, so it doesn't belong here.)

Hazard Cloak - (no definition found.)

By the way, for a list of other appropriate clothing with definitions, check out: http://www.maidenfaire.com/dictionary_of_terms.htm
                        Lovecraft Country: Albert Zero
                        Castle Marrach: Cody the Blade

StoryCoder Azrael tells StoryHermit Death, "I *did* get told "you're amazing" by a girl when I was saucing my hotdog..."

Comment

definitions of clothing items

thank you for posting the definitions - I described the cotellae and the slouch cap on my first post, so thats no problem, but I would still like to know what a hazard cloak is, sounds intriguing.
                          Johnathon - would you care to enlighten us?

Sorchaa
                          Sorchaa Ame-du'Challis

Comment

The corset derived from the bodice, and at the time of the renaissance, was not elasticized, but merely a durable fabric band reinforced by boning, and cinched almost closed, but fairly tight.

Corsets were used by the middle and upper classes. It was worn UNDER the bodice as reinforcement and to promote body-altering (achieve the proper silhouette).

The further back in time you go, the less complicated the corsets got, but they WERE there.

--------

I'm wondering if a hazard cloak is a reference to The Princess Bride?

--------

Cotellae -- you've stumped me Where can I find this item? I'm dying to know more!

--------

Do we have cauls in game? Barbettes? Headrails? Pillboxes (the hat, not the item)? French hoods?

--------

I have seen longcoats for women in roughly the period that this game is vaguely associated with. It's a kind of surcoat (overcoat, worn over your other clothes), with shortsleeves. Most are designed NOT to close, but fall loosely and richly all the way to the floor, front and back. I believe these were first introduced by a pregnant queen, but eventually became all the rage in court, by women of all places in the cycle of life. These garments are always of rich materials and intricately embroidered, often with couched gilt threads.

Only problem is, I can't see them side by side culturally with our current overdresses (sideless surcoats). In history, I don't believe the time periods of these two items overlapped, and one originated in Spain, while the other came from France (or was it England?). As long as people don't wear them together (a.k.a. simultaneously), though, it could be fun to see people showing off different 'dialects' of dress/costume.

------
                            My suggestions:
                            Maybe no one would want to, but how about the bliaut/gunna? It's WAAAY clingy around your midsection, and has a dropped waist. Men wore a version hemmed at the knees (over pants), women wore them over kirtle/chemises, and girdled, like a regular dress.

How about that shoulder/neck/head covering, the chaperon? It's just a glorified hood, at the beginning of its life. We could have simple chaperons, and the more complex ones, which resemble turbans where the top is in mid-explosion! Or even extend the point at the back of the head, and make the man's hat, the liripipe?

Or clogs for both sexes? Or tippets, the unisex armband things that could sometimes drape to the floor, and could be pinked, edged, or dagged? I'm pretty sure way back when, they had muffs, which, despite the vulgar use of the word these days, referred back then (and again in the victorian time), to a donut shaped fabric or fur item which you could enclose your hands in, for warmth?

Oh, and at least in the renaissance, they had a thing called a mortarboard, which was the preferred cap of the scholar, and looks just like the thing worn at graduation. In period, they were always black. Or is this what is represented by the in-game biretta?

And how about the Houppelande, that voluminous, rich, WARM, unisex garment that covered one from wrist to neck to ankles? I'd also love to see the hennin which has devolved to the little cone hats with the hankerchief pinned to the end, for little princess costumes.

EDIT: ooh, ooh, forgot about gardecorps (big thick overtunics for men) and tabards (sort of like a poncho, but not covering the arms or shoulders) and roundlets (big stuffed turban-like headdresses for women and men, with the guimp over-veils)?.

Oh, and if guys get trunk-hose (poofy shorts), how about some venetians (unpadded, worn with hose, stopped below knee), and slops(unpadded, worn with hose, stopped above knee)?

Last one: Elizabeth of York had stoles, can we have them too?
                            ------

Oh, and just because I'm not done being a pain: I'd love to see pattens in game. Pattens being overshoes with soles made out of cork, but up to SIX inches tall. They allowed italian women (and others who picked up the fashion) to walk around in the mud without soiling their richly embroidered satin, silk, and velvet slippers. Walking around in them made a terrible racket unless you were very proficient. I think it would be a hysterical if your height description changed when you put them on, lol! Maybe we could even get the gait 'clomp' added?

------

Oh, the nice people in the white coats are telling me it's time to go back in my box. Bye bye!
                            Last edited by Mintle; 07-23-2001, 12:51 PM.

Comment

further definitions

Now you come to mention it, I remember the Hazard cloak from The Princess Bride - it was the giant's enormous cloak that they used to trick the guards with wasnt it?

For more details about the cotellae (or cotellettes) please ask sera Gwenvar, as she was the one who suggested them originally. Apparently they are/it is very pretty (unsure whether the reference should be plural or singular there!)

Sorchaa
                              Sorchaa Ame-du'Challis

Comment

Working...
                              X