rumors and ooc icness

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rumors and ooc icness

rumors are fun, but really hard to use... I mean, look on the rumor board, find one you wana play with and then 'who belives rumors?'. Isnt that pathetic? People hear rumors all the time, and they belive them cause they dont see the word 'rumor' attatched. Suppose you took one of those and instead of posting it spread it ic (of corse it wouldnt get as far and would be easy to track) Imagine, I told scary today that people were saying that the BG was trying to take over the Castle, I got a 'ha, you belive those?' and I said, 'no, but it is kinda important to know what people are saying about you' (oh, another mistake I made, assuming people arn't omniscient and already know all the rumors) but what if I actualy heard that ic? If I had heard Stix, cromwell, gretchan, gwen, and gabrial talking that kinda stuff I would have much better backing in saying people talk about it... even if they didnt belive what they say. I think that when people ask 'where did you hear that' you could say something other than 'its a rumor' because you wount always know rumor from non rumor, you could say 'Kyle told me, he wasnt to sure about it, but im here to see if its true' saying 'its a rumor' is almost like saying 'I know it isnt true, but lets have some chuckles'... and that discounts the posibility of it being true, you think the person would tell the truth if he is trying to burn the castle down? right... but hearing johnathan say 'well, he was takeing a curious interest in the candles and lanterns lately', you see the diff? (for note, yaoi wasnt gona burn the castle down, he was so curious about the fire implements because he was looking for secret doors(that's a likely excuse(whatever)))
    Please people, dont hear every rumor you see, dont always take them as a quote (BG taking over the castle could so easily be: BG is the black guard, even note the letter similarity!), and please please please dont attatch the word rumor to it in your mind or anyone elses.
    now, that being said... please ignore the rumors about kyle, they are all unture, especialy the steamy ones

Keep in touch, PM me with yahoo messneger. My ID is Fizgot. (and tell me who you are in CM so that I can know who Im talking to)

Kyle, don't say it's a rumor. Say that you can't remember who told you, or that the person who told you asked you to promise not to tell anyone.

Some of the rumor postings are actually true, believe it or not. And others may not be true but are things that some characters really believe. Don't assume that everything placed there is a joke or a lie.

Remember, when you tell someone "I heard a rumor" they won't believe it, because calling something a rumor is more or less saying that it's untrue.
    Lovecraft Country: Albert Zero
    Castle Marrach: Cody the Blade

StoryCoder Azrael tells StoryHermit Death, "I *did* get told "you're amazing" by a girl when I was saucing my hotdog..."

Comment

Yeah, but there are also a LOT of rumors that aren't true (which means all rumors that Cody or Khalea and the sisters started to tease Umi).

As for the BG and the Black Guard being the same organisation, if we are, then I didn't know.

And it's not the BG trying to take over the Castle, it's the Muses! Ask Zen. She and I are slowly oocly plotting against the Inner Bailey.
      Last edited by Umichan; 09-11-2001, 04:40 PM.

Comment

I believe it

Honestly, I wouldn't put it past you... For some reaon, I truly think that you'd actually try to take over the IB....

-Kai Kai-
        "yaoi"
        [Signed with a simple yet all too elegant and over-the-top Y]
        .::Y::.

Comment

... and I WAS just looking for secret passages *winkitywink*

-Kai Kai-

Comment

I figure about half of what is there is ether true or what some characters belive, but you cant use it because everyone knows it has the word rumor attatched to it already... like I said, I made the mistake of assuming everyone wasnt omniscient. but because everyone knows its a rumor, hey, if I ever have anything said about me, I can start a rumor and discredit the person who is saying it ic. that's not the way its supposed to go.
            and the steamy rumors are STILL untrue!

Keep in touch, PM me with yahoo messneger. My ID is Fizgot. (and tell me who you are in CM so that I can know who Im talking to)

Comment

now for the second part of this, the ooc icness. Sorry I forgot... there are times when you the player cant do something, cant get the computer to work, cant make a meeting, whatever. wheras ic you have no such trouble (thus ic dealing with CM stuff, ooc dealing with your RL trouble) so because you the player doesnt attend a meeting you get a log so even thought silent, your character did attend, after all, we dont watch our characters 24 hours a day, they do things without us. Anyways, if for example judicus came into a courtesy circle meeting that I oocly had to leave for RL reasons but stayed ic and killed everyone there, including me, the cronicler that arived on sciene wouldnt see my body, but I would be obligated to play a dead person anyways. Could we maybe get blow up dolls of our characters that are used as items or CNCPs to leave places where we should be so peole know we are there when passing through? (killing people if need be)
              cause the disaperaing like the cider goblits doesnt seem to be that well accepted anymore.

Comment

so because you the player doesnt attend a meeting you get a log so even thought silent, your character did attend, after all, we dont watch our characters 24 hours a day, they do things without us.
                Although I know the Watch meetings are mandatory to attend, I don't want to pretend Kris IS there, because then people who tell me "Oh my god, where have you been? I've missed you!" are technically, well, wrong. I mean, if Kris is supposedly there more often than she actually is, then I shouldn't be getting that.

So basically, I just use the excuse that the Corporal has given me some duties which have conflicted with the Watch meetings, thus I do not have to attend as long as I read the notes the other Watchfolk have taken (Well, I'll never be around for ANY watch meeting unless it's Christmas break or summer). Well, it seems to work fine.

If anyone asks me where I've been, I just simply answer, "Doing some work for the Watch, I'm busy. Now if you'll excuse me..."

...and about the rumors...

Some of them are true

Don't ask us to ignore them, because after all, they are...only rumors. I haven't read them lately, but I'll go check on them in a sec
                kristine@iskl.edu.my
                http://www.iskl.edu.my/~kristine/
                MSN: kristinejct@hotmail.com

Comment

Truth to Rumors

About half the rumors I've submitted are true.

About half the rumors I've submitted are false.

Some of the false rumors I've submitted are altered from true events, often to purposefully hide what might have truly happened. Others were complete lies spread just because they were humorous.

A few rare rumors I've submitted were completely fabricated by me, but when I sent them to the SPs, they said "Oo! That's good." And because they liked 'em, some may actually come true!

Just because it's a rumor does not mean it's a lie, or totally baseless.

I've been asked as a player sometimes to confirm or deny some of the rumors that involve my characters, or were started by me.

I often freak people out when I confirm some items they thought were complete balderdash as being 100% true.

"NO WAY!" -- "SHAH! ... WAY!"

Parry on Whyndam!

-Pete.
                  ~ Gareth Beaumains ~

~ For Love! For Valour!
                  ~ For Honour! For Glory!
                  ~ Onwards to Adventure!

Comment

but my point is that because the posibility of falsness exists to such an extent (above 20%) and EVERYONE knows them, they start to belittle the information gathered ic. I found something ic and when broght it up was scoffed at and said 'Oh yeah, Im supposedly doing this and that too' and also 'thus they are called 'rumors' not 'facts'.'.

I just want people to stop treating rumors like rumors and ic rumors like facts. Ive seen both, and I tell you, not having it on the board is a big advantage for the rumor's credibility.

I even did a bit of this the other day... I dont know if the rumors I was repeating were true, but I started a conversation about Gareth and happened to mention that Rogra was being adopted as a member of Gareth's extended family... I dont know if it's true or not, sounds plausible to me, but anyone who heard it could then say 'kyle told me Rogra is a member of Gareth's family, dont erk her cause she's up and comeing' (thus spreading (and twisting) the rumor ic and makeing it more powerful)
                    If I speak of a rumor like its fact, then people will have an honest sorce to say it came from. I dont wana be spreading the ones I dont belive, but I think its ok if people wana say 'Kyle told me you were joining Gareth's family! Congratulations!'

Just test it, spread any one of those rumors ic and it will be much wider belived than when read from the board.
                    (Im gona be treating Yaoi with just a wee bit more delicacy from now on, now I know he's prince betram)

Comment

Here's an idea.

First, reword the rumor so that they might not immediately recognize it, but that the message is the same.

Secondly, swear that you heard it from someone who heard it from someone who had proof, and make up some kind of proof, like a scroll or something. People can't call you a liar because you can always claim that the person you heard it from was wrong.

StoryCoder Azrael tells StoryHermit Death, "I *did* get told "you're amazing" by a girl when I was saucing my hotdog..."

Comment

One more thing...

Look scared when you tell it, have them swear to secrecy (yeah right) and tell them you can get in trouble if people know you are telling. Also, act sorta reluctant to tell them at first, start to tell them then stop and say that you shouldn't tell them. They'll urge you on to tell it to them.

Oh, if a servant, courier, cat etc. shows up, shut up and wait for them to leave or ask the person to go with you to another place.

And if someone laughs and says they've heard it already and know it isn't true, give a weak or uncertain laugh and say "Haha, you're probably right", then stammer that you have to go.

Comment

Here's an idea. Why is your character spreading rumors which they do not know if they are true or not? Especially if it is to people your character does not fully trust?

I'm definitly not saying hoard information you get. On the contrary, tell those you trust ... not that you can ever be sure who to trust. I'm just pointing out you might want to wonder why your character is pulling someone aside secretly and whispering to them that Rogra was adopted by the Gareth Maffia ... um I mean family.

As for Kyle's blow up doll suggestion ... well it might be best to not go there.

Ra'

Comment

If you want to spread rumors, I feel that it should be something you know directly from the source... Ok...

Lets say we have Player1 and Player2 and they are talking... you are Player3 and you overhear Player1 and Player2. Player1 says he wants to kill Player4 and Player2 says they will try to kill that person.

So, as Player3 you can start the rumor that Player1 and Player2 are plotting to kill Player4... Lets say you tell this to Player5... Player5 can then say that Player3 says Player1 and Player2 are plotting against Player4... and so on.

Those are rumors... But some things are totally made up... I don't think those are credible rumors. But what I described above ARE credible rumors.

Comment

Hunh? Wha? OK.. If you say so !~Kai can be heard mumbling quietly ~ "too many numbers"

Idle Ramblings,
                              Kai Kai

Comment

Working...
                              X