Telling the TIME

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Telling the TIME

OOC reply to Emris' IC thread on watches...

It is possible to tell the time from the Java client - just type 'TIME' for a rough estimate (+/- 8 minutes).

Beyond that, I'm not sure if there is IC benefit to time passing. I've had more than a few people correct Salain for saying "Good eve" at all times of the day, but he does it for a reason. As far as he can tell, any concept of time is arbitrary, and the castle seems to exist in a permanent (late) afternoon limbo. I'm not sure whether this constitutes bad or good RP, but that's his perception of things thus far.

Of course, if an SH slaps me around a few times and tells me that IC the castle actually does cycle from day to night, I'll stop. And immediately suggest that they build cues to that effect into appropriate locations.

There is a clockwork in the Chronicler's tower office. Aside from the mechanical noise, it's supposed to toll bells and ring chimes.

Hence, there is an IC way to tell the time (and I hope at least the bells will be incorporated somewhere down the line, as audible throughout the castle). From that clockwork, time in the Outer Bailey is defined... and hence, morning, noon, evening and night are defined by that clockwork as well.

Even so, everyone is of course free to state that 2+2 equals 5. They will just have to bear the reactions of their peers and betters.

Have a nice day.
    'If you're going through hell, keep going.'
    -- Winston Churchill

POLITENESS, n.
    The most acceptable hypocrisy.
    -- Ambrose Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary

'Hitler had a good 20 to 30 IQ points on Bush, so comparing Bush to Hitler would in many ways be an insult to Hitler.'

Comment

We use Pacific Standard Time. The only difference is that instead of saying "o clock" we say "bells", and instead of saying "AM" or "PM" we say "early" and "late".

Some people further use "chimes", though that is not accepted universally. Usually, you just say "seven and a half late bells", "seven and a quarter early bells", etc.

We still have hours and minutes, though some people substitute "hours" for "bells". Either works. Minutes are sometimes avoided because it seems a bit odd you would know what time it is just to the minute (unless you're a guild master like me bitching at someone for being a few minutes late, then that is conveniently forgotten. )

As far as physical measurement, we use the standards common in the US, pounds, inches, yards, etc. Since CE and the game designers are almost exclusively American, as is Skotos, this is of course inevitable. Fortunately the majority of players are too.

Also, it has been assumed from the beginning that the guests of the Castle have un uncanny knack for knowing the precise time, most likely as a side-effect of the Awakening. I remember this being remarked upon alot when I started. Also key topics back then: strange sleeping hours for the guests (the Awakening seems to fatigue people so that they sleep far more often than they did in a previous life), spontaneous sleeping (going AFK or losing your connection, or having to log off out of nowhere), the way food never spoiled and drinks vanished (which has been changed since then, the food and drink has been "de-magicked"), the fire in the refectory that never burned, etc. Anything unusual in the game has been attributed either to the Awakening or magic.

Now it seems that most people just ignore that stuff, but back then we talked about them alot.
      Lovecraft Country: Albert Zero
      Castle Marrach: Cody the Blade

StoryCoder Azrael tells StoryHermit Death, "I *did* get told "you're amazing" by a girl when I was saucing my hotdog..."

Comment

Day and Night and Castle Time

Talk to Gareth In-Character.

He can confirm for people the exact time of dawn and nightfall in the castle -- when stars appear! -- and has entire theories into the nature of Marrachian time.

Mystery: All types of periods of time exist in the castle... Except one.

Trivia: 21 September 2001 will be the first year anniversary for the period of the Recent Awakenings. Happy Birthday Retribution!

-Pete.
        ~ Gareth Beaumains ~

~ For Love! For Valour!
        ~ For Honour! For Glory!
        ~ Onwards to Adventure!

Comment

Originally posted by Dariel
          From that clockwork, time in the Outer Bailey is defined...
          With you to this point, and interested to know that time is implemented IC as well as pseudo-IC...
          and hence, morning, noon, evening and night are defined by that clockwork as well.
          and disagree with this. In RL, I generally consider, morning, evening and night to be defined by the passage of the sun, which we then map onto our own timekeeping mechanisms.

Noon is an interesting case, since it could either refer to the sun's zenith or to 12 midday (the two are usually quite distinct). Likewise the distinction between morning and afternoon.

My IC perception is that time passes but the seasons do not. It's always winter, and always, well, sometime, which feels to my character like evening. Just as the perpetual winter seems essential to the plot, I play as if the same applies to the passage of days.

Comment

It is quite probable that people wake up because their biological clock is set to when they awaken. i.e. you created the character at a time you can play, they will probably wake up around that time each day . Or maybe it is a deeper secret, only those in the know about the over-all storyplot could answer that, and I doubt they are talking.

You could as easily claim it is always morning when you wake up, and base time around that.

We might just be setting our concept of time based on Sir Launfal's hours. Though no saying he is right. Untill, or unless, the clouds are removed and someone can see the sun, it will probably remain a secret what time of day it really is.

Got to disagree with Dariel on the chronicler's clock though. It depends then on the clock being set, and the people who see it not lieing to us. Same with the clock tower.

All this assumes that time actually moves. Until someone sees a working clock, time is a mystery. But of course that doesn't mean you shouldn't investigate this IC.

idly mused by Ra'

Comment

One last thought, You sure it is always winter?

I have never been told IC that it is always winter.

"Question everything" - no idea who that is a quote from.

(No, I'm not looking for someone to confirm ooc that it is always winter. Just making a point.)

Ra'

Comment

just a few things:

1) It used to be that the parser would not let your character 'see' the stars during daylight hours... only the cloudy sky.

EDIT: If you 'examine star' at the topmost turret during the day, it will say: "There are no stars to be seen in the light sky."

2) The grandfather clock was 'fixed' many months ago. If you type 'read clock', it will give you a description of a working analog clock's face (what time it is, in the castle).

3) I use bells for hours, chimes for parts of hours, and moments for minutes. For time, mintle counts like one, a couple, a few, several, many. Partially I love to use the chimes system, because half the chimes users say there are 4 per bell, and half say there are 5!

4) I think it helps the suspension of disbelief, for most people to not be hyper-aware of what time it is. Sure, you know roughly when your meetings are, but why focus on how many minutes until dinner, when some of the people around you are thousands of years old? (And yes, I said 'most people', because it is only natural for some characters to be the exceptions)

Comment

1) It didn't let you see them at night either.

2) Um... If you examine the clock, it still describes it as broken. This is something that seriously needs to be fixed.

3) Hehe, like I said, minutes, hours, and seconds are the standard. Chimes are whatever people want to call them.

4) Your answer? So you don't get hungry.

To Ra: You haven't talked to the right people yet. IC it has been declared that we are in Winter, and in fact the Castle has been locked into winter for thousands of years. It is implied, but as far as I know never officially confirmed, that this has not always been the case. I originally assumed when I started playing that the Castle is naturally cold due to its altitude in the mountains but this evidently isn't the cause of the cold and snow.

StoryCoder Azrael tells StoryHermit Death, "I *did* get told "you're amazing" by a girl when I was saucing my hotdog..."

Comment

Originally posted by Atama
                    To Ra: You haven't talked to the right people yet. IC it has been declared that we are in Winter, and in fact the Castle has been locked into winter for thousands of years.
                    IC it's been declared both that the Watch are evil puppets and that they are protectors of the law. You've heard people declare our memories aren't real. Evayne Harper (never met Tylus so can only guess) would declare they are real. Some will declare that the Faith is a dark cult, I'm guessing the Priestess would declare the opposite.

It depends on who you talk to, what they have been told, what their goals are. I can declare I saw Launfal and Diana making out in the haystack. Rummors and opinions do not make facts. If this was declared ooc (i.e. the game is called 'Forever Winter') than it cannot affect IC beliefs.

Besides, time is relative anyway.

But you are correct in one thing. I have played for 7 months and no, characters do not just offer information such as that. "Those plots are over ... died ... dropped ... ect." Not that I am sure at what point I'd be asking someone, "So what is the group of the Puzzle Ring?" Especially if I never heard of it, or knew to ask.

To quote a great man "... Knowing is half the battle." (okay so it's the old G.I.Joe cartoon, but still a good thought.

Ra'

Comment

Ra, never be too ashamed to quote G.I. Joe.

Comment

I'll trim up the grandfather clock's description today ... I promise. There are various other timekeeping devices in the Castle, more or less well known. The clock tower clock is running, but (ahem) needs its bells cleaned, or something. You'll be able to look at the two faces of the clock sometime soon-ish (maybe this weekend); it's all part of the tedious distant-details project.

While the sun is rarely if ever visible, day can (or at least should) be visibly different from night. Again, there's some gradual improvements going on that should eventually help our Castle's residents note the passage of time (or at least the repetition of certain events).
                        Michael Blum
                        (former) Game Developer at Skotos Tech

Comment

Oooooo, that's good! Generally my characters go by their "internal clocks." 3 early bells is usual nighttime to Stix, morning to others. Heck, same for that in RL... 4AM=nighttime to me, lol!

Comment

I'll trim up the grandfather clock's description today ... I promise. There are various other timekeeping devices in the Castle, more or less well known. The clock tower clock is running, but (ahem) needs its bells cleaned, or something. You'll be able to look at the two faces of the clock sometime soon-ish (maybe this weekend); it's all part of the tedious distant-details project.
                            Arian is made to run up the clock's tower to clean the bell.

The bell chimes noon while Arian is cleaning the bell.

Arian comes back down, shaking and trembling. He continues to quake and tremble for weeks.

---Arian

Comment

Working...
                            X