Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Reboots: Marrach, Lazarus, Lovecraft, Auth Server on Thursday, Friday [Complete]

On Thursday morning at 11am PT, I will be taking down the following games to upgrade them:
  • Castle Marrach
  • Lazarus Sleeping
  • Lovecraft Country
Then, on Friday morning at 11am PT I will be taking down our authentication machine:
  • User Database
Apologies for the short notice, but it's in response to a security bulletin related to the virtual machine software that these games and servers are on. We've already upgraded the rest of our machines to a new virtual machine which has thus far been less prone to security problems, and we're taking the opportunity to update these final machines in advance of a forced reboot over the weekend.

Each upgrade timeframe is expected to be an hour or less. I expect to be able to do memory upgrades for these machines at the same time.

Edit: Thursday morning upgrades for Lazarus, Lovecraft, and Marrach are now complete. The machines have also been upgraded from 2G of memory to 4G.

Edit: Friday morning upgrade now done as well, complete with upgrade of user authentication machine.

Shannon
2 of 2 < >

All SkotOS Maps Updated; Please Report Bugs

In the last several days I've updated the way that all the game maps are stored for Ironclaw, Lazarus, Lovecraft, and Marrach, to make it possible for our admins and GMs to add new maps and map fragments to our games. Everything is working from my browsing, but I've heard a few reports of missing maps in Marrach (which may or may not have predated the update).

If any maps seem to have gone missing in those four SkotOS games, please let me know. If you see a broken map or map fragment where the image isn't showing up:

1. Open the image in a new tab (usually by right-clicking and choosing this option from a menu)
2. Copy the URL of the image from the URL bar
3. Email that URL to me at shannona@skotos.net
See more
See less

Backwards Translation!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Backwards Translation!

So, I'm skimming through the forums, and I come upon this old thread where some crazy guy wrote up a bunch of stuff in Eme. Now, I looked at it, and thought, "Well, hell. Xan could probably read this.. but I can't make anything of it. Don't think anybody's ever made an Eme dictionary... Crap."

So I got to thinking, and I was wondering if it'd be possible to impliment a sort of backwards translator? Type in the word and language and what-have-you, and if your language skill is high enough, it gives you any possible english words associated with it. Personally, I'd kill a newly or two to get my hands on something like this, and I'm sure anybody in the LPA would agree.

Eh? Eh?
    Novitiate Xanadorian

The Marrach Dictionary does that for Northern, Eastern, Teanga, and Western. Unfortunately not Eme, but that language is kept so secret and sacred, it's better not to have it. Perhaps if you ask reeeeaaally nicely, Namida will come up with something seperate for Eme.

*shrug* Never know until you ask!
    Peace, love, and harmony,
    Jewel

"If you didn't sign it," said the King, "that only makes the matter worse. You must have meant some mischief, or else you'd have signed your name like an honest man."-Alice in Wonderland

Which to follow?
    "Laziness is the worst enemy of humans...!!!" - Jawaharlal Nehru

"Humans should learn to love even their worst enemies...!!!" - Mahatma Gandhi

Comment

Sadly, Namida doesn't know any Eme, far as I'm aware. And I don't s'pose it'd be very appropriate to have a public translator for Eme. S'why I was hoping for something hard-coded into the game.

<_< Well, more like dreaming, but, eh.

Edit: Thanks for the link, though!
      Novitiate Xanadorian

Comment

If the posts were by me, you can also contact the author by PM.

Send me your Eme proficiency, and you might get a response with some partial translations.

There were some people who worked hard to translate the postings. Poke around IC.

Comment

IG reasons were precisely why there's no Eme dictionary included. The Sorcerers like to keep it secret.

But if a Sorcerer, with the approval of Lady Serista, wants to make a dictionary for internal use, by all means contact me, and I'll gladly provide the list of words and provide server-space for it as well. (Even try and make it so only those authorized can access it.) Only thing, you'll have to translate all the words yourself

Pia

Courtier of the Winter Court
          Assistant to the Royal Venefice Her Ladyship Hieronyma
          Fellow of Lexiography at the Royal Collegium

My pages - My deviant art
          Per Aspera ad Astra

Comment

A few of the posts made on the boards in Eme had been done by one of my characters. If you point out what post it was I might recall what the words had been. If I don't recall yet it was one of my posts, it says something almost completely idiodic.
            Xewe Golianor

((ooc: The cake is a lie))

Comment

I'm not up to date on the whole Eme thing, but as far as I know, no PCs have Grandmaster Eme. The highest level Eme I've seen on a PC so far is Journeyman, meaning at best, the Eme will translate to "sdkalgf sdakfhbldksajx kdlsfb kjasdbl" even if you did translate it, unless Eme works differently than other languages.

"So far as he is able, a prince should stick to the path of good but, if the necessity arises, he should know how to follow evil."
              - Niccolo Machiavelli

"Men should be either treated generously or destroyed, because they take revenge for slight injuries - but for severe ones they cannot."
              - Niccolo Machiavelli

"The weak tend to cling to words as their only defense, while those of us with strength end up dieing trying to protect them - being weak is a sin."
              - Prince Isley

Comment

Journeyman?

They weren't the Apprentice, obviously.
                > You sneer briefly, "Personality. Oh, yes, you are all as unique as snowflakes, and exactly as interesting. You fall and you melt. No one cares or notices when you are gone."

Queen Vivienne smiles supportively at you, "It appears you stun Our household into silence."

Nallia sees your face horrifiedly.

Vestio's Player: "You go, Skeletor! :P"

Comment

Re: Backwards Translation!

Originally posted by Gazer
                  So I got to thinking, and I was wondering if it'd be possible to impliment a sort of backwards translator? Type in the word and language and what-have-you, and if your language skill is high enough, it gives you any possible english words associated with it. Personally, I'd kill a newly or two to get my hands on something like this, and I'm sure anybody in the LPA would agree.
                  I do have something of the sort, but it doesn't exactly have an interface or anything, and translating is trickier work than you might imagine. It tends to require very slow work on the order of hours for a single paragraph, and can't really be worked in an automatic fashion anyway.

There is a way to manage the Eme, but that's an IC question.

Comment

Well, what I'm talking about is a very OOC thing. o_o IC, the character should be able to understand the written language as well as the spoken language, unless the 'language' skill doesn't cover literacy.. and.. yeah.
                    Novitiate Xanadorian

Comment

Originally posted by Gazer
                      Well, what I'm talking about is a very OOC thing. o_o IC, the character should be able to understand the written language as well as the spoken language, unless the 'language' skill doesn't cover literacy.. and.. yeah.
                      This has been brought up since the languages in Marrach were first invented. I suppose even if scrolls are ever fixed up to be readable by fluent speakers it will not cure translation problems seen on the message boards.

Trust me when I say even when you have a dictionary, you have a *long* way to go on translation -- too many words map to the same thing.

Comment

I suppose even if scrolls are ever fixed up to be readable by fluent speakers
                        Just some happy news to the returned player.

Scrolls now can be written in languages. It works like spoken languages.

To write a scroll in a language, speak it and write the scroll the old way (ergo: type: write my scroll "text here")

This system doesn't work with sky-writer yet though.

Courtier of the Winter Court
                        Assistant to the Royal Venefice Her Ladyship Hieronyma
                        Fellow of Lexiography at the Royal Collegium

My pages - My deviant art
                        Per Aspera ad Astra

Comment

Rock /on/. Sekrit sorcery messages in Eme! Yay!

And yes, Ditters' player, I understand that it's a pain in the ass to translate something OOCly, even with a dictionary. Was just hoping for a nice, IC-friendly solution for not having an Eme dictionary.
                          Novitiate Xanadorian

Comment

Originally posted by Namida
                            Scrolls now can be written in languages. It works like spoken languages.
                            w00t! You don't know how long I've been waiting for this.

Comment

Er.. haven't you always been able to do that?

Comment

Working...
                              X