Announcement

Collapse

SkotOS Downtown: Wednesday, 11am-1pm PT

I am scheduling a downtime for all SkotOS machines from 11am-1pm PT on Wednesday.
  • Marrach will be going down to upgrade its Operating System
  • Lazarus (and Lovecraft) will be going down to upgrade its Operating System
  • Ironclaw will (hopefully) be going down to tune its performance
See more
See less

Bumping Posts

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A positive suggestion

If I could make a small suggestion to help the whole "bumping of the post" problem.

I think there should be a re-emphasis of the IC boards, particularly the calendar boards and the herald's board. If need be, for IC forum stuff, let the pages or heralds be the ones putting up a post reminding of various events, especially events and announcements that involves a specific date or deadline.

A better idea would be letting them commandeer the whole event making process (with the Office of Royal Orders) and let them and only them make announcements. I mean it is part of the job description, right? In fact, perhaps a weekly post announcement regarding what is coming up for the week would be really good. Because as I see it, we best function when we see what is going to happen for a particular week. So we can plan it.

I'd also like to see events not be posted and that you'll have to know by other means or an actual invitation. Not an invitation that is merely stapled onto a general post. I mean if we're trying to recover the whole feel of the castle and the social structure, a good place to start is including exclusive events or events that you'll only know if you know certain people, or are of a certain social stratus (and as much as I'd like to see 50 people at a party too, mayhaps the party sizes ought to be trimmed a bit, yes?).

As for OOC forums, really why drag up old posts to make a point, particularly threads that are over a year old? As Xewe elegantly suggested, just slap on a link and make your point in a new thread.

Comment

Re: A positive suggestion

Originally posted by miyaa

As for OOC forums, really why drag up old posts to make a point, particularly threads that are over a year old? As Xewe elegantly suggested, just slap on a link and make your point in a new thread.
      Well to be honest, its becouse a lot of people dont actally go to links, but they will read a bump. I dont know why, but if I want to reach the most people, bumping works.

Comment

Re: Bumping Posts

Originally posted by SP Aziel
        Please do not bump posts unless you have something new to add to them or there is a specific reason why they need to be brought to the top.
        What part about do not bump posts unless you have...a specific reason do people not understand?!

Stop it.
        Rian'unfin

Comment

What is this refering to?
          ...~...~...~*** Sylver ***~...~...~...

"I forced myself to die a little inside just so I could cope with the horror show that is my life." - Sin's Puppet Master

Comment

Most recently, the bumps in the IC boards. But also to the bumps of posts in the general OOC board. It is getting simply annoying.
            Rian'unfin

Comment

Ahh, thought so. I actually greatly appreciate the recent IC postings being bumped. It is very helpful and pertinent to the IC happenings.

I just can't wait till I get out of jail to happen upon them.

"I forced myself to die a little inside just so I could cope with the horror show that is my life." - Sin's Puppet Master

Comment

Originally posted by Xenophon
                Most recently, the bumps in the IC boards. But also to the bumps of posts in the general OOC board. It is getting simply annoying.
                Specific Reason: They were brought up because they're relevant to current IC events with Shadust (i.e. they give people some background about shadows), and because the vast majority of people probably don't know to even look for them.

So suck it up.
                > You sneer briefly, "Personality. Oh, yes, you are all as unique as snowflakes, and exactly as interesting. You fall and you melt. No one cares or notices when you are gone."

Queen Vivienne smiles supportively at you, "It appears you stun Our household into silence."

Nallia sees your face horrifiedly.

Vestio's Player: "You go, Skeletor! :P"

Comment

I actually like how you did that. the 'recently read and left visible' thing. neato

Comment

My apologies, then.

But it is not the same for OOC boards.
                    Rian'unfin

Comment

Re: Re: Bumping Posts

Originally posted by Xenophon
                      What part about do not bump posts unless you have...a specific reason do people not understand?!

Stop it.
                      No. The posts are being bumped for a reason (and not all by me) ooc reasons for the ooc ones, and IC reasons for the IC ones. If you dont want to read them fine.

However reason is in the eye of the beholder. If I feel I have a reason to bump a post then I bloody well will bump it.

The no bump rule was made for those people bumping posts day after day with nothing more than a "bump". In the past we even had some people bump a post a few times in a day.

This however has a reason to is, so it is not a violation of that request (and note, it was a request not a rule).

If after all this you still feel so agressivly strongly about it then feel free to take this to a SG and give the names of all the people doing the bumping. I dont think they will stop it, but it is the normal next step in an ooc conflict.

Comment

^.^ I love John, he's so cool.

Comment

This is, imho, still a major issue. It's more an issue on the IC boards, where people might feel they need to remind people everyday until the date of the event, or every week for six weeks. Though it's less of an issue on the OOC boards, it is still such, and so I bring this forward to remind people not to bump without reason.

And no, I don't think a fifteenth bump of a post about(and this is just an example, I don't know if people are still doing this..!) library bell, that is scheduled every week on the same day at the same time, is a good reason.

We need another way to show people regularly scheduled meetings, lessons, and practices. Oh, I don't know...say, the CALENDAR?

[Edit: Maybe we should make a calender for ic use that can be edited by anyone...I think this is a good idea. I'm going to try to figure out how to do this. Look forward to it.]

Thank you for your time and co-operation.

A tired-of-seeing-*bump*-all-the-time player,
                          Jewel
                          Peace, love, and harmony,
                          Jewel

"If you didn't sign it," said the King, "that only makes the matter worse. You must have meant some mischief, or else you'd have signed your name like an honest man."-Alice in Wonderland

Which to follow?
                          "Laziness is the worst enemy of humans...!!!" - Jawaharlal Nehru

"Humans should learn to love even their worst enemies...!!!" - Mahatma Gandhi

Comment

I disagree. I don't feel it is bumping for no reason, because it is confirming that the player will be holding their scheduled bell.

If a player is taking the time to be somewhere to help the game by being in a library, or at a martial practice, or in the chronicler tower, it is worth letting fellow players know who may be interested.

You may not be interested, but many will be. The Lord Chamberlain's bells are memorable, but frankly for someone who rarely gets their hair cut, when the sylists are holding their bells is less so, or when a librarian is opening the library. It is useful to keep those posts topical.

Comment

We used to have a real nice calender. I totally forgot about that. I'm sure if someone was interested in it, they could revive it.

Comment

I do agree with Britta on this. We did at one time have a nicely arranged callendar, and I used it almost every day. But then it started getting horibly out of date, and every attempt to fix it was made by keeping the old things on and just trying to update it.

So then you got alot of out of date info and current info. But then as people stoped looking at it, people stoped updating it. So now it's all out of date. I say clear the callendar and start over.
                                Xewe Golianor

((ooc: The cake is a lie))

Comment

Working...
                                X