No announcement yet.

Bumping Posts

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Use the calendar or make another post... Simple, really. Bumping is un-needed.

Comment

You mean this calendar?

Have to agree with Fez's player. A lot of people read the IC board and it's nice to know when someone is there right at that moment, or if they are running late, etc.

It doesn't hurt to make a new post, though. Better yet, refer people to the calendar and keep that updated and we'll eventually train everyone to use it by doing so.

Comment

I made a new one that everyone can access here
        Peace, love, and harmony,
        Jewel

"If you didn't sign it," said the King, "that only makes the matter worse. You must have meant some mischief, or else you'd have signed your name like an honest man."-Alice in Wonderland

Which to follow?
        "Laziness is the worst enemy of humans...!!!" - Jawaharlal Nehru

"Humans should learn to love even their worst enemies...!!!" - Mahatma Gandhi

Comment

Honestly...

What is the difference between creating a new post and bumping an old one, if the new post is completely identical to the old post?

It seems more efficient to bump an old post than to create a new one. Otherwise you're creating an extra unnecessary thread.
          Lovecraft Country: Albert Zero
          Castle Marrach: Cody the Blade

StoryCoder Azrael tells StoryHermit Death, "I *did* get told "you're amazing" by a girl when I was saucing my hotdog..."

Comment

Why creating a new post is a bad idea and shifting an old post to the top for an event is a good idea:

Player A posts event on board that says: Meeting at time X on day Y in place Z

Players B, C, and D all make replies on the thread that they will try and make it to the meeting. This auto subscribes them to be notified of new replies

Player A posts reply to orginial post saying time X has been changed to time X plus 1

Players B, C, and D all recieve notifications that an update has happened to the thread thus telling them that something might have changed.

You might say that Player A could have just as easily posted a new topic saying "Update to Meeting time" But then Player A has no assurance that B C and D will all notice the change.

Furthermore when the actual event comes up Player A can post a reply to the orginial thread with saying "Reminder this is today in two bells"

Then players B C and D might all remember about the event, and make an effort to show up.

I know for a fact that there have been events that I have missed because I simply forgot about them.
            Xewe Golianor

((ooc: The cake is a lie))

Comment

What's the difference?

I for one dont read threads I know are bumped. Post a new one and I'll read it. I know others who are the same way.

Comment

That's you. If you don't read the thread because you know it has only been bumped then so what.

I know I actualy for events use bumped posts as a reminder about events. I can not be watching the forums 24/7 to see the changes.

I read the CM forums both IC and OOC, the forums for Society of Sound (a radio station I DJ for) the forums for Whisper's Edge (a guild I belong to in anouther game) and a number of other forums. If I'm to have anytime to actualy... oh I don't know Roleplay... Then I'm not going to be able to read the forums all the time and notice every single new posting that has been made.

I like it when threads are bumped for a reason (This event is coming up please remember)

I don't like it though when a thread a year old or more is bumped with no given reason. It just confuses me on why in the heck it's being bumped even if there are IC things going on that make it all clear.
                Xewe Golianor

((ooc: The cake is a lie))

Comment

You know what I hate? When someone bumps in ic scroll and adds the note like, bumped...thats a total pet peeve. Cut and paste a new one for crying out loud.

Comment

*bumped*

... had to do it.

Comment

Quits reading thread due to it being bumped...

And will continue to not read bumped threads.

Comment

Hi. Reminder that it's not nessecary to systematically go around bumping 100+ posts for no reason, particularly bumping each of them multiple times within the span of a couple hours. Thanks.
                        "It is more honorable to be raised to a throne than to be born to one. Fortune bestows the one, merit obtains the other."
                        - Petrarch

"So far as he is able, a prince should stick to the path of good but, if the necessity arises, he should know how to follow evil."
                        - Niccolo Machiavelli

"Men should be either treated generously or destroyed, because they take revenge for slight injuries - but for severe ones they cannot."
                        - Niccolo Machiavelli

Comment

Originally posted by SP Aziel View Post
                          or there is a specific reason

Enough said. It's all IC.
                          ----
                          CARE BEAR STARE

Comment

Actually, I think in the instances that are happening right now there is a purpose----to knock the posts that another person is bumping, out of view. Ostensibly, both of them are bumping these posts "ingame" and when one brings the "pile of paper to the top", the other starts piling scrolls on top of them to cover them up.

I must say, though, that it's freakin' annoying, especially when you keep tabs of the forums from a Premium page.

Comment

There's a fairly big difference between bringing ages-old threads (bumping each of them so that they'd be read) up from obscurity and just bumping everything else to knock something else off the front page (where there's no purpose for bumping each of the individual threads).

It's done as a convenience for players, really, so people can find these things without having to result to the forums' new, "improved," annoying Search function.

Of course, one of the "victim" threads is still on the front page for me, since I see 30 threads per page.
                              Priam: You know what's a bad idea?
                              Kyramor: Not usually

Comment

Originally posted by Priam View Post
                                There's a fairly big difference between bringing ages-old threads (bumping each of them so that they'd be read) up from obscurity and just bumping everything else to knock something else off the front page (where there's no purpose for bumping each of the individual threads).

It's done as a convenience for players, really, so people can find these things without having to result to the forums' new, "improved," annoying Search function.

Of course, one of the "victim" threads is still on the front page for me, since I see 30 threads per page.
                                To create the IC effect of all of them having been 'covered over' but by a thin layer only, but then why is one still visible...?

I'd have thought you would have been able to work that out, of all people, especially knowing what you know OOC. If your character knew it was mine IC, too.

(I'm a little disappointed in having to explain it oocly actually, it should be something to be worked out by those capable of it)
                                ----
                                CARE BEAR STARE

Comment

Working...
                                X