Announcement

Collapse

Skotos Forums Closing: September 30

The Skotos Forums are officially closing on September 30, 2020. They will go read-only on that date, and will be removed entirely sometime afterward.

We encourage the games that spun off of Skotos to create new discussion mediums of their own, and some have already done so. But the centralized discussions for Skotos will soon be a thing of the past (just as the centralized Skotos site is).

We've also posted a goodbye message to the community on our main page, which you can find here:
http://www.skotos.net/goodbye.php
See more
See less

[Censored]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Censored]

First things first. I'm angry. Luckily, I'm not steaming anymore. It's that cold creeping anger, the passion of the scorpion as a friend called it, but it's still there. So please bear with me.

This post, if you haven't figured it out yet, is about the events of last night, namely the institution of random people into 9th to 7th link IB positions. On a sidenote -you may believe this or not- I'm not envious or jealous of the people who got the jobs, but I do find it totally wrong to assign positions in this way, and I will state why.

Firstly, I was under the impression that Castle Marrach was supposed to be a vanity fair, a hotbed of intrigue, a ladder climbing contest, at least for those characters who want to get ahead in rank and title. Some people are willing to go tooth and claw to get at a guild leadership, or even a promotion of rank. Dariel is a character like that. He works hard to begin with, but as his work simply doesn't get respected by his guilds, he looks for alternative ways to receive recognition.

Giving away IB positions to random people is a slap into the face of every player who plays in that fold, myself of course included.

I'm not going to argue whether the players deserved it as a honorificication of their role-playing abilities, because that's not the point.

If the focus of Castle Marrach's social advancement has changed while I wasn't looking, I'm sorry for noticing... but my personal resume is this:

If everyone can advance within the castle society on a whim, then where's the point in playing a character who wants to advance at any cost?

*shrugs*

Imagine you're collecting something... US Postal stamps, Pokemon trading cards or whatever... You have a decent collection and of course, your goal is to one day have a complete set. Now someone comes by and, on a whim, hands complete sets out to random people. I think everyone would agree it's not easy to bother anymore. Why work for something if everyone can get it by chance?

I think all in all, last night did hurt the game a lot.

Personally, I'm really wondering if I will find the incentive and fun in playing Dariel anymore in the future... and if not, I know it will hurt me, because I damn like playing him.

Have a nice day.
    'If you're going through hell, keep going.'
    -- Winston Churchill

POLITENESS, n.
    The most acceptable hypocrisy.
    -- Ambrose Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary

'Hitler had a good 20 to 30 IQ points on Bush, so comparing Bush to Hitler would in many ways be an insult to Hitler.'

While, I do not play a character that goes tooth and claw to get what she wants, she tries her damndest to get where she wants to be. I was pretty pissed off to find out that these positions were just handed out.

Everything Hannah has she has worked hard to get. While I understand many people work hard to get their spots, it's not right to go along and hand them out like candy. I could understand if the position was for the duriation of the the festival, but to have them stay in the position, is unfair.

As Uli said, whats the point of trying if positions are to be simply handed out? Not only does it make for bad role playing, but it ruins the entire theme of the castle.

For those of you who remember, do you think scenes like Santlar standing infront of the Green Arch for days totallt entracned with it, cause she thought she had not made the cut would have ment anything if the positions were handed out?

The challenge of getting in makes for some awsome role playing in my opinion, but if these spots are to be handed out, then we have nothingmore than a glorified chatroom we are all paying for.

Sure to be repeated a few times I'm sure, but for what it's worth, those are my few cents

Holly
    Equerry to Lady Hieronyma
    Adjunct-Prosecutor (Acting)
    Master Jeweler

Comment

Sorrie...wasn't here..

What happened?

Comment

Sportsmanship!

*rah rah rah* for your fellow players!

I mean, hey. This festival is a WEEK long. I've heard so many ways that people can do well this week and gain the special attention of the crown. And as for the titles last night... I mean, an honor? Yes they're titles but granted at a feast of fools. Ooo. That's an award. It is NOT the Queen granting them. Heck, it wasn't even Boreas's choice from what I've heard IC.

So, CONGRATS for those who achieved some sort of dubious honor last night.

Leah

Comment

I agree completely with what the pair of you have said.
          Admitedly i dont know all the events leading to these possitions being given out so i shouldnt realy comment untill i do, but what ive heard so far tells me this is completely wrong.
          Ive heard that some people are thinknig of quiting over this (i wont say who so dont bother to even ask me) but people have taken this in a bad light, and the question is why did it happen?

Ser Kaine Crymanwr
          Honoured Guest
          Apprentice to Mistress Zia

OOC Sig.

Today is a good day for Pie

Comment

*laughhs*
            I want so badly to comment so I will:

This is quite frankly an outrage, I know that I'm jsut normal old Butt-monkey Yoai, but I've tried for a long time to gain that title.. and THe thought that random promotions were just GIVEN away disgusts me

Lubberz,
            Kai

[edited] Can Yaoi be Prince Bertram's 'personal' assistant ? j/k
            [Signed with a simple yet all too elegant and over-the-top Y]
            .::Y::.

Comment

If everyone can advance within the castle society on a whim, then where's the point in playing a character who wants to advance at any cost?
              When I arrived in the courtyard this morn, to the boasts of glory that our fair Gwenvar had been promoted to Royal Falconer, I sloughed it off to the Feast of Misrule; and that her appointment was a temporary denotation of the concept of 'Misrule' itself, not emblematic of any real honor and at most for a week.

When I was duly informed that in fact, these were official appointments, and watching Gwenvar (whom I adore as a character--please don't misconstrue) in her cornflower wool cape and Inner Bailey garb sniff that she was now *permanently* the same rank as my beloved mentor Angron...I nearly quit CM then and there. I was so proud of my cornflower leather slippers that I had worked so diligently to bear the right to wear. I'd have slipped them to the first newly I'd seen had there been one about.

This is not a reflection of whether any of these characters deserve a title of honor; I'd argue that Ravelyn should have been named the Royal Librarian moons ago. It is only that such should be rendered officially and through the ranks, or at the very least, treated with more graciousness than the spurnings of an eve that was simply out of character with all of the prior workings of the Castle.

What Dariel says is truth enough: It makes months of earnestly striving towards meticulous propriety, learning the secrets of the castle, reading and re-reading the etiquette texts and gaining favor and trust worth little more than a piece of moldy white cheese. While Sorcha definitively is not of the ilk that would advance at any cost, her motives would mean nothing. There's simply no reason to work so hard at chronicling, or anything for that matter. The honor is gone.

..*If* such is as it stands.

However, I await an official acknowledgement that we are not misreading the truth of the appointments. It seems nearly impossible to believe that these are, in light of the concept of Misrule itself, intended IC to be anything of any lasting duration.

If so, it suggests a serious need for the rewriting of the players guide; for if favor is quoted to be the coin of currency in Castle Marrach, I will tell you emphatically that the events of last eve rendered it worthless. Why worry over favor and courtesy when random ambiguity and happenstance--regardless of the merit of your character-- would seem to matter far more?

The yoke or the throne?

Comment

No Apologies

Did we think people would get promotions at the Feast of Misrule who might not necesarily deserve them? Yes, we did. In fact, we rather counted on it.

Did we expect people would raise a hue and cry and shout 'unfair' and loudly wonder if the game was worth playing anymore? Yes, we did.

Why, you might ask, would we deliberately court such a reaction, and risk losing dedicated players by seemingly random actions? That's a good question, and I hope that you will at least read this and think about it a bit before sending in your cancellation to Skotos.

First, the event last night was a Feast of Misrule. A fool's feast, if you will (though our hoped-for fools didn't show and thus we left the selection of the rulers up to the masses -- I'm sure no one really considers Radulf and Alexandrea fools). Throughout history, such festivals have been held as a means to deliberately upset the social order, particularly in tightly structured societies where advancement is limited. Fool's feasts give a sense of freedom where rigidity is the norm, like the wildness of Mardi Gras before the strictures of Lent. They also remind us that not everything in life can be controlled, and allow a certain degree of the random to enter, though under very controlled circumstances (Boreas was on hand not because he likes wild parties, but to make sure nothing too disruptive to society would occur). This, you might say, is the IC reasoning behind the Feast of Misrule.

But the decision to grant these positions in such a fashion was driven more than anything by OOC concerns.

The social structure of Castle Marrach is stagnant. I'm sure that there is no one in the castle will debate that point. After thirteen-plus months of playing, there has been one character made a knight (under very forced circumstances), perhaps a dozen Honored Guests, no courtiers, no aristocrats, and the Great Chain of Being remains largely unfilled by player characters. The Inner Bailey is all but devoid of action and interest.

What a waste.

We didn't build the Inner Bailey so it could be utilized by a mere handful of players. We didn't construct the Great Chain of Being so that the positions could sit there vacant. It has always been the intention that characters would move upwards on the chain with regularity, and that by now we should have player characters within the highest levels of Marrachian society. But somewhere along the lines things have gotten stuck. Early promotions were put off because of developmental delays, and because of that a habit of rigidity has set in.

In order to correct this problem -- in order to bring life to the Inner Bailey and enable the plots that will stem from there -- it was decided (I decided, if you want to place blame squarely) that extreme actions needed to be taken in order to correct a years worth of non-growth. To use an old metaphor, the pendulum was stuck on one side, and we had to give a good hard shove to the other direction in order to get things moving. Hopefully, once we're done, it will settle in the middle like it's supposed to be.

That's right, I said "once we're done." I have no doubt that some of the anger and resentment people are feeling is because apparently undeserving people have been promoted when others who have worked long and hard have not been. Well, folks, the week's not over yet. Quite frankly, I'm disappointed that you think we would give such promotions randomly without giving consideration to those of you who truly deserve them. I'm not going to divulge names or numbers at this point, but I assure you many more people will be recognized over the course of the next week, and once a proper society is established in the Inner Bailey, promotions should begin happening on a regular, recurring basis, as people deserve them instead of simply by Royal Fiat.

"That's all fine and good," you're thinking, "But that doesn't explain why so-and-so should randomly be chosen for a 7th -link position. Clearly it's undeserved." Well, here's the thing. If only deserving people were promoted, the Inner Bailey would be a very boring place. By randomly giving out sinecure positions (positions like tax collector, which have some prestige but no real power or responsibilities) we invite the unexpected in, providing more opportunities for roleplaying and storytelling. And, as I like to say over and over again, that's what it's all about, right?

So I'm asking you, before you start raging against inequity, give it a chance. I truly believe that once you get over the shock you will see that this is a good thing for Castle Marrach.

Comment

Originally posted by Sorcha

When I arrived in the courtyard this morn, to the boasts of glory that our fair Gwenvar had been promoted to Royal Falconer, I sloughed it off to the Feast of Misrule; and that her appointment was a temporary denotation of the concept of 'Misrule' itself, not emblematic of any real honor and at most for a week.

When I was duly informed that in fact, these were official appointments, and watching Gwenvar (whom I adore as a character--please don't misconstrue) in her cornflower wool cape and Inner Bailey garb sniff that she was now *permanently* the same rank as my beloved mentor Angron...I nearly quit CM then and there. I was so proud of my cornflower leather slippers that I had worked so diligently to bear the right to wear. I'd have slipped them to the first newly I'd seen had there been one about.

This is not a reflection of whether any of these characters deserve a title of honor; I'd argue that Ravelyn should have been named the Royal Librarian moons ago. It is only that such should be rendered officially and through the ranks, or at the very least, treated with more graciousness than the spurnings of an eve that was simply out of character with all of the prior workings of the Castle.

What Dariel says is truth enough: It makes months of earnestly striving towards meticulous propriety, learning the secrets of the castle, reading and re-reading the etiquette texts and gaining favor and trust worth little more than a piece of moldy white cheese. While Sorcha definitively is not of the ilk that would advance at any cost, her motives would mean nothing. There's simply no reason to work so hard at chronicling, or anything for that matter. The honor is gone.

..*If* such is as it stands.

However, I await an official acknowledgement that we are not misreading the truth of the appointments. It seems nearly impossible to believe that these are, in light of the concept of Misrule itself, intended IC to be anything of any lasting duration.

If so, it suggests a serious need for the rewriting of the players guide; for if favor is quoted to be the coin of currency in Castle Marrach, I will tell you emphatically that the events of last eve rendered it worthless. Why worry over favor and courtesy when random ambiguity and happenstance--regardless of the merit of your character-- would seem to matter far more?

But from what ive been told these posts were given out by people with only temporary possitions themselves so how can they be given the right to give out possitions as they see fit?
                  Also why even bother to give out a possition that has no real use or job to go with it?
                  Royal Falconer, just where are the falcons and what dose she do or dose she just walk around with a nice title and just do what she did before she was given it?

Ser Kaine Crymanwr
                  Honoured Guest
                  Apprentice to Mistress Zia

OOC Sig.

Today is a good day for Pie

Comment

I understand the frustration many of you are feeling (and admittedly, have felt some on my part)...but, I think what Catharsis is saying could be used to your advantage ICly.

Typically, when someone is appointed to a high position, it is done with great thought, honor and those appointed have worked VERY hard to get there...

In the case of last night, people were appointed (amid the chaos of cursed punch) for just being there, maybe speaking aloud at the right moment, and were appointed not by the Queen or the Chancellor or even the Lord Chamberlain but by the King and Queen of Misrule! And, they are all positions that carry no tasks (there are no falcons, poor, taxes, pigeons or elephants!)

Who says you have to respect the new positions at all? I have a feeling that they are all up for a long and tedious time in the Inner Bailey trying to get respect from anyone who earned their position by hard work and good deeds. (NO offense at all to the players).

And, as Catharsis said, there is ample time and opportunity to get attention this week (if you haven't already). Remember, there are many times that Knights and Lords and Ladies shall be roaming about the Outer Bailey, many contests, and the Queen does hold Court next Friday.

Try to hold out and see how things shake out. And please, don't be afraid to show your frustration ICly! I don't think that refusing to ask leave from the Misrule appointed Royal Pigeon Keeper would necessarily find you without any favor or in the dungeon (though, you may find some old bird droppings in your shoes)...

Hang in there, and if you are thinking of quitting, please do speak with a Storyplotter before you do so

Hoping that you all enjoy the week's festivities,
                    Meg

Comment

Simple. Lord Boreas approved them.

Comment

Well, I'm waiting for the rotten tomatos, but I've gotta say I agree with CE on this one. Real life isn't fair. If it were we wouldn't have lunatics in power, or good people getting stepped on. True, my character has no chance for pormotion, deserved or otherwise, but think about it: who wants to live in a place where everyone deserves their title? No one to hate, or fight with. Boring. So, eh, there's my unasked for two cents...
                        Rand an Dathuil

Comment

I mean, hey. This festival is a WEEK long. I've heard so many ways that people can do well this week and gain the special attention of the crown. And as for the titles last night... I mean, an honor?
                          It truly isn't sour grapes..Hear me out.

If the benefits of such earn them rooms in the Inner Bailey and leather garb at their disposal, aren't we kidding ourselves to begin to believe that there is anything but a meritorious victory in those of us maintaining honor or working diligently towards it?

Yes they're titles but granted at a feast of fools. Ooo. That's an award. It is NOT the Queen granting them. Heck, it wasn't even Boreas's choice from what I've heard IC.
                          Granted at a feast of fools? What does it matter? Sure--in theory, it matters a great deal to those who have strived diligentally to their station. But I'd argue that Royal Falconer indeed is a title worthy of great merit, and who am I to question the appointment? That's the point---we denizens who follow the letter of the capitulary, don't. We see the Royal Falconer or Royal Tax Collector--and mustneeds defer accordingly. That is the subset of this society--you don't question the meritoriousness of those in higher rank. After all, I might not know how Catharsis became a Knight personally, but it isn't for me to question either way.

An OB denizen such as myself is forced to comply on the side of courtesy--I am not allowed to RP any difference between Dame Catharsis' honorable appointment and someone elses gratuitous one. The fact of the matter is, all higher ranked denizens are appointed in accordance with Her Majesty's wishes, and regardless of what we think of them, or their worthiness, we defer to their rank. There really is nothing in place to allow us our opinions on the way they got there.

If you are in some way suggesting that it is not improper to pick and choose who we defer to based on our subjective dispersions; I'll tell you then that no title matters at all--that the title itself is worthless, and favor means nothing.

Which, in the end, is exactly my point.
                          The yoke or the throne?

Comment

Deri, I'm aware both of the historical implications and the need to fill the IB. I took both for granted when I wrote my post. Noticeably enough, I did not write about people being undeserving either. That's not my lot to judge. Neither did I mean to put the weight on those who want IB positions. I simply found the whole randomness of it all more than hurtful towards the supposed concept of the castle.

To reillustrate, I'd like to reiterate something that Sorcha worded more beautifully than I ever could.

This is the problem. It's really more of an OOC problem than an IC one. The IC problem might -as Catharsis pointed out- be that all five characters will forthwith be regarded as jokes. I can honestly tell you that Dariel wouldn't have accepted a fool's promotion for fear of losing his integrity, even if they'd named him a Lord. But that's not my concern.

OOCly, you've in my eyes violated the supposed spirit of the game, not by giving out things to undeserving players or characters, but I giving out things at random at all.

On a historical sidenote, Carnival (from Italian (or maybe Latin): Carne vale -- meaning as much as "good bye meat") was originally a Christian feast held before the fasting period leading up to Good Friday. It was, most basically, Bread and Circuses, a way to be outgoing before a solemn period. Later on, the political implications were added. For a week, or half a week, all laws were defunct and "Fool's Freedom" reigned. However, everybody understood that (and here's the main difference) no lasting changes could be effected during that time. The rulers gave the commoners a chance to be free for a few days, so they had a vent, and an illusion of self-government, of autonomy.

Historical precedent is therefore, to my knowledge, nonexistant as far as permanent promotions are considered.

Have a nice day.
                            'If you're going through hell, keep going.'
                            -- Winston Churchill

POLITENESS, n.
                            The most acceptable hypocrisy.
                            -- Ambrose Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary

'Hitler had a good 20 to 30 IQ points on Bush, so comparing Bush to Hitler would in many ways be an insult to Hitler.'

Comment

For those of us who missed it. (and could not have been in game last night at all for RL reasons.) what positions?

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information