X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

quote:
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by Sorcha
    Can the good Doctor clone yet, do you think?
    ------------------------------------------------------------------

Yet, given that you would very likely have to play your own clones, wouldn't that basically defeat the whole purpose to begin with?
    Lady Avaria, Royal Archivist & Dean of the Royal Collegium
    Collegium Dean since 30.10.8
    Royal Archivist since 10.11.2
    Previously Senior Chronicler and Counselor

StoryPlotter Skelly says, "I always knew Avi was evil ... Now I have logged evidence!"

Comment

You know what I think the majority of the problem is?

We get like a dozen people who actually work while the rest do nothing.

If EVERYONE did a LITTLE bit, no one would have to do A LOT. We should really start looking for IC means to get rid of bottle necks and furthermore lazy layabouts who do nothing form our character's lives for our sanity and our characters.

Comment

With reguards to the Bridge, I've drawn out a diagram of what the Main Support for the Stairwell would look like, and E-mailed it to SCSkelly.

But I do know what Tristana is feeling, because I feel it myself down in Carpentry with those massive orders of furniture sets and very few people around with the skill to do them. But this I hope will end soon with the (oh god, I hope) return of Eleren to Carpentry as well as the addition of others to Carpentry.

But never the less, it's quite easy for the fun to leave when having to deal with delays, character's leaving, and being told '
        it's just not possible at the moment '.

Gotta be more considerate out there folks.

Darren

Comment

I play the game to PLAY. I don't play the game to work. That is all I will say about that.

Comment

I took my time to read all your comments because I wanted to reply properly and to everything - which you know is probably impossible. Also, since I'm answering by order of posts, my post might be a bit mixed up with no coherent sense. Apologies all around.

First off, I want to say that its not that I have A LOT of work, or maybe I do but I'm just used to the fact that out of 4 hours online a day, I work on 3. Its not that I have book orders from here till the sky, or that I sit and do hair all day. I'm just tired of the fact that when I dont work, I dont exist. If I walk into a yard and no one there needs anything from me, I'll initiate with a greeting, most will greet back and that will be the end of that.

I often also create some work for myself, but I have made point to keep it in the areas of things I love to do. That's why I dropped the LPA, I hate language lessons, I generally hate being bugged about lessons, IC or OOC. But if its say, the library. Dittersdorf came up and asked me to set up a library. You know what? I sat there for 3 weeks copying books and I loved every minute of it, because I knew that Trist is simply creating something she worked with for years and now its all hers. It was a push and it was draining but it was worth it.

Fashion shows are not simple because they demand a lot of research and Geist here will testify how many emails he gets every time I start with a new craze and what a headache I give him .

So its not about not liking my job, Trist does what she loves doing, which is books and hair. Yeah it spreads in a lot of areas but its still only that. I dont have superiors to report to and I prefer it that way. I guess I prefer having a workload of things I like doing, than a little work of things I hate doing.

I dont think Trist's story is over. I just dont know what it is anymore. I miss sitting together all the girls. But now, Trist has a lesson, and Carella has an open bell and Keyana has to spar with Bertram and Eeva has military work and Diana has a research to write and bla bla bla and we dont get to hang out in groups bigger than 3 and really have fun.

As for the Courtier question - I really dont see how it will change anything, furthermore, I think higher ranked-service providing characters have it even worse. People either talk to them because they need something or because they feel obligated to. But that's all IC right? Maybe I just misunderstood your question. Mentoring other people is fine as long as its RP. I find myself sometimes sitting in the refectory with newlies, asking their paths and their wishes and directing them to the people who will help them with it. Its fun. I guess courtiership adds the political aspect, which even if it doesnt seem like it with Trist, I really enjoy. Though many complained that being a courtier is hardly politically influential and its all about the right connections.

As for Howe's Comment. There is a concept in game that some people are more reliable than others, IC or OOC, with work loads, regardless to how long a day they spend online, they get the work done. As someone who leads two groups for nearly two years now, let me confirm that by saying that the ratio of people who really care about doing something for the group they are in is 1:10. 1:5 in really small groups like the library. So most of the time it falls on the leader. If people will really start doing some work, the loads and burden will be reduced.

Perhaps making my group crumble will be great RP - but how will I feel after all the time I invested in it? So I just make point to bring on new things. Believe me I try. Its just that sometimes your stuck in place without moving, like Sorcha said. I risk my character sometimes too, but perhaps you and me view risk differently.

As for "saving" my RP for those who are long established. No, I dont like that Idea. For the 10 days I lived with Trist in the IB, I stayed out of the Outer - unintentionally even. The day I stepped out I recognized no one. It was horrid. Besides, you always get new experiences with the new, they need your guideness. I remember being a newlie and looking up to those who played the game 2-3-4-5 years. I was all in awe. I think that part is missing too, people just not caring about those who outrank them or live there long but that's IC and that's from another thread. You experience new stories with new people through your alt, I cant bring myself to play an alt. I tried, I dont like it. I dont want people to have no idea who my char is because I always hide in the Inner, especially since I still live in the Outer.

A note : There are no 3 men in the castle to marry. In my eyes, Elmer is the Least unreliable male in the keep . *waits for people to throw stones at me* I'm joking guys.

Had to leave Dariel for last. You're right, I dont think we should just serve anyone. I have posted about it before, including bans and the fact people need crafters and not crafters needing people. I dont really feel like a prop machine because we rarely get book orders - but It sucks to be a seamstress I think (or a jewelrer or a carpenter...).

Being a stylist is a tad different. You have to stand there with the person and spend 15-30 mins playing with their hair and if you dont like them, you're in a problem here. Actually, if someone comes to Trist for a hairstyle and she directs them to someone else, in my eyes its disfavor.

I am too bugged by the fact people forgive and forget too easily.
            We dont have to be one happy family. THE PLAYERS, SURE. The characters? Not really. If the game is based on favor and we all love each other, what's the fun in that? People who knows Trist are tackled by the fact that unfortunately, if she got a bad first impression on you, it wont fade. Makes people work harder, but isnt that the fun part?

I'm recently working with some staff one a way to reward crafters, but how do you educate the mass? Furthermore, how do you return the game into Storytelling and Roleplaying and not into another set of work related meetings?

Well that's all, for now, I think.

And oh, just because I'm posting this doesnt mean you have to stop writing/ordering/asking things from my character. She does have responsibilities. The solution I'm seeking is for myself .

~Tali
            Mistress Tristana

Member of Her Majesty's Court
            Embinder/Hairstylist

Comment

Originally posted by Tristana
              If I walk into a yard and no one there needs anything from me, I'll initiate with a greeting, most will greet back and that will be the end of that.
              With rare exceptions, that sounds like what happens every time I play the game and do that.

That's why I go out, and instead of just greeting someone, I'll start a scene. I'll argue with somebody, insult somebody, rant about something, pursue a grudge against somebody, whatever. (I expect someone else might have characters with less aggressive ways of interacting with other people, but I'm very strongly of the opinion that conflict = RP, and peace = boring. If everyone's just going to sit around and smile at each other and get along, I'd rather play Dark Corners of the Earth or Oblivion or something.)

I enjoy conflict. I expect others may enjoy flirting or making friends or spreading secrets or gathering information on people. It's all fun.
              Priam: You know what's a bad idea?
              Kyramor: Not usually

Comment

*grins* I love conflict, but a subtle/polite one. You dont really expect Trist to walk into the yard and start insulting people, do you? You have that luxury with your character. But I understand your point
                Mistress Tristana

Member of Her Majesty's Court
                Embinder/Hairstylist

Comment

Especially in the case of Heraldry, there was no one to take over for a long, long time. Heraldry is all but dead now, from what I've been told, which makes me feel a bit guilty. But I simply cannot come back to a workload that's as hard as my RL job and being the only one that does it.
                  And I feel guilty for not following through on my return to help. But when you burn out or are unhappy with the game, there's nothing you can do about it. The IC runaround regarding things like wooden poles, cloth, paints, books, etc. just makes it too much work when you consider you also have to train people, delegate training, delegate tasks, etc. Work considerations were also why I tried to keep heraldry simpler than what a lot of people wanted it to become. So I don't blame you. I was happy someone even wanted to pick up what I left behind. And if there's no one willing left... oh well. That's the way the game goes.

Comment

Originally posted by Stix
                    I was happy someone even wanted to pick up what I left behind. And if there's no one willing left... oh well. That's the way the game goes.
                    While I regret that leaving Heraldry put more work on others, I did what I had to do because I was right on the edge of a very permanent feeling burnout from being in too many things at once. Granted, there were some rather strong IC reasons for that choice as well. Since Di is now only running one thing, I've also said I'll make myself available IC and OOC to train people into Heraldry if there are people who want to get into it after all this plotsy stuff is done. Assuming, of course, that Mairead does actually leave (I'm not sure if she has to be honest). After seeing the work involved, I actually do have some ideas on ways to make Heraldry less of the workhorse it is, and those would be things Di would address IC'ly. Again, all assuming that it comes to the point where she's the only one left. I suppose it would be nice to get some sort of IC notice from Mai when/if she leaves so that others can step up to help.
                    "A synonym is a word you use when you can't spell the word you first thought of."- Bacharach
                    "Education has produced a vast population able to read but unable to distinguish what is worth reading."- Trevelyan
                    "There is nobody so irritating as somebody with less intelligence and more sense than we have."- Herold
                    "I don't necessarily agree with everything I say."- McLuhan
                    "There was never a great genius without a tincture of madness." - Aristotle
                    Get Firefox -- My Blog

Comment

My advice would be to ask others to be open to a lot of bluebooking. Those who would be interested in a scene (for whatever reason) could request IC presence. Those who aren't you could just bluebook with. Otherwise, it's a ton of work. And I think there are so many things that could be bluebooked just to make it easier.

Another possibility is to disallow quartered arms from here on, just to make certain things simpler for people as players.

Comment

Originally posted by Diedra
                        While I regret that leaving Heraldry put more work on others, I did what I had to do because I was right on the edge of a very permanent feeling burnout from being in too many things at once. Granted, there were some rather strong IC reasons for that choice as well. Since Di is now only running one thing, I've also said I'll make myself available IC and OOC to train people into Heraldry if there are people who want to get into it after all this plotsy stuff is done. Assuming, of course, that Mairead does actually leave (I'm not sure if she has to be honest). After seeing the work involved, I actually do have some ideas on ways to make Heraldry less of the workhorse it is, and those would be things Di would address IC'ly. Again, all assuming that it comes to the point where she's the only one left. I suppose it would be nice to get some sort of IC notice from Mai when/if she leaves so that others can step up to help.
                        Worry not. Heraldry will kick back into gear when the Bridge gets back up. Mairead was literally heading over to post that she wanted pursuivants and to do some work on outstanding jobs when the bridge died.

Mai may not run it at flat out as Rosi did, due to other things she does, but it will happen. And to be frank, I dont see it as a huge workhorse. But maybe that could be because I the player have a pretty good knowledge of the subject already where Jessica had to basically start from scratch, no offence, of course, Jessica.

I'm not gonna sit about and let an office die completely.

Paul.

Comment

Woot! Go Paul!

Comment

*cheers*

Sounds marvelous. If you get overloaded on your own, lemme know and I can try to help out. Otherwise, game on. I'm glad to know you'll be sticking around to keep it alive.

~Nicole
                            "A synonym is a word you use when you can't spell the word you first thought of."- Bacharach
                            "Education has produced a vast population able to read but unable to distinguish what is worth reading."- Trevelyan
                            "There is nobody so irritating as somebody with less intelligence and more sense than we have."- Herold
                            "I don't necessarily agree with everything I say."- McLuhan
                            "There was never a great genius without a tincture of madness." - Aristotle
                            Get Firefox -- My Blog

Comment

Holy wow.

I happened upon this thread and boggled.

Because: YES.

THIS IS STILL A PROBLEM.

This is Sassa's greatest issue, lately, with the Castle, and my greatest issue as a player. I almost wish I'd have found it before I put her to sleep a few weeks ago, because the whole thing wasn't formulated in my mind at that point.

Ultimately, as I've written before:

I'm on CM for the stories, for the RP, and - while I am very capable in many capacities - while Sassa has done and can do a lot of things for people she loves (and I love CM a lot, and she loves a lot of people), she is feeling very used, and sensing that a lot of other characters want her to join up in the ranks of one group or another not for her benefit, but for the things she can do for others.

Thanks, y'all, but... Have a peek at this thread. It reads, over and over: "that's why I quit."

You wonder why people quit? We're burned out - earlier or later - by the rat race that literally serves nothing. There's no real money, and we're PAYING money to play this game, for the luxury of pretending to do work. (Sorry to rain on your parades, but it really is pretending. We're just playing with dolls, here...)

Not surprising, since this is a RPG, and thus, the people who participate are creatives; and creatives tend to have less tolerance than regular folks for the endless groan of paperwork and work.

We're here for RP, aren't we? I am.

Sassa is looking for a home, where she can write, and you'll notice that all she speaks of lately is peace, and finding a place for peace, where she can write her poetry and do what she loves without the responsibility of a job.

And all I talk about as a player, oocly, is stories. So I can write out, play out stories with all of you.

I know you're great RPers. I love playing with you, or I'd have never come back after so many years. I KNOW I can create some amazing, unexpected stories in CM.

So, guys... please. Stop forcing work-related RP down everyone's throats. We're losing players. It's burning out those of us who love RP for the sake of RP.

Even having Sassa continually discuss, in-game, the fact that she doesn't want to be a tool for any group is exhausting in the extreme.

And Newlies are urged SO quickly to join groups, to add to the work force.

We're stripping ourselves very quickly of what CM and Skotos games are and were when I played years ago: a place for really great stories.

If you don't believe me, have a gander at the rest of Skotos. Most of it is dead, now, and all of the stories are gone.

That's all for now, thanks for reading.

-- One of the Girls Behind The Curtain

Sassa Elvari,
                              Poetess / Wordsmith

Aspirant Teacher, LPA
                              Harlequin, The Unity of the Arts

Poetry is the art of falling in love with minutiae.
                              Debate is the art of wielding one's mind and tongue.
                              ~ S.E.

Comment

Originally posted by Sassa View Post
                                We're stripping ourselves very quickly of what CM and Skotos games are and were when I played years ago: a place for really great stories.

If you don't believe me, have a gander at the rest of Skotos. Most of it is dead, now, and all of the stories are gone.
                                Was just going to pass this by, but then I read this quote above.

The very fact that CM, and NOT the "rest of Skotos" is well populated, well played, and "trucking on" over the years is because of its story, its players, its staff, and its dedication. You haven't scratched the surface of the game yet, so I can understand seeing the "words on the cover" as being what the book is about. But try reading the pages to the finish before passing judgement.

CM is not dead. I've been playing off and on since 2002. It's gotten slow, it's had its moments, but it's never died. Will it? Likely not as long as there are people willing to tell stories. Our staff are players as well, who also work hard to tell stories and build them.

Have you not seen the massive upgrades to combat that have happened in the past few months?

The fact that we've had Royal Court every few months instead of years?

The extravagant balls?

The intrigue, violence, criminal courts and general mischief?

You think it is about the work? Work is a part of life, yet you still *live*. The same goes for Marrach. Work keeps the character doing SOMETHING instead of sitting around chatting.

Do with Sassa whatever you want. No one is FORCING you not to. You'll have to deal with the results in game, of course, but that's part of the fun, right? Didn't you, yourself, say you wanted to deal with the repercussions? Open season on Sassa?

Frankly, I find Sassa pretty interesting. She has potential to ruffle feathers and be her own woman. Damn the ban on season talk, talk about what you want. You'll get the eye of the wrong person one day ICLY, but that's part of the fun, right? That's the story?

Let's not forget the obvious Ali visit. Biggest one EVER (and I mean ever. Having been here a while, I can tell you it's never been THIS big a trading inventory). I've NEVER seen Royal Courts take place less than 4 months apart. I've never seen such great and active plots. Ask around! Major stuff has been happening lately.

I've tried to engage you on multiple characters. I'm unsure what you're finding as a burnout so soon into the game, but let me know how I, as a player, can help you. I've burned out before. Many times. This is the longest I've been back since starting the game - so let me tell you, things have never been this interesting. I've never been so engaged as a player into the story.

Royal Chief of Medicine
                                Courtier of Her Majesty's Royal Court
                                Patron of the Embinders
                                Head of the House of the Lord Chamberlain

Comment

Working...
                                X