No announcement yet.

When Fun Becomes Frustration

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i'd like to confirm part of what dolph's p said, there's really no obligation to force your character into work that she ICly or you OOCly find boring. as an example i've been playing for three years, over various characters now, and not a single one has been part of a crafting group because that doesn't seem at all appealing to me. i and they have all still found plenty to do. sure, there have been some instances where i've encountered something that felt like busywork with a disproportionately small bearing on RP, and those instances are worth addressing on a case-by-case basis, but ultimately i don't feel like this is a widespread issue, much less an unavoidable one.

Comment

Keep in mind, from top to bottom, this whole game is run by volunteers. What we get out of this game depends on what we put into it.

Does this mean you have to do work you neither find fun nor rewarding? No, not at all. It's up to you to find what you enjoy doing as your character and stick with it (and if you can't find it, take steps to create it).

And I'm not being sarcastic or facetious when I say this, but there are enough players that find enough fun and reward in what they put into the game that many other players can also enjoy it with minimal effort and contribution on their part, and that's fine.

If characters are trying to get your character to join a guild or group and you see it as unrewarding work, don't join. But these guilds and groups are important to maintain the life and culture of the castle, and they need people to fill their ranks. New guilds will emerge and old ones will fade depending on demand and player availability, but stopping to recruit people is a sure way to ensure the death of the game.

I wholeheartedly agree that burn-out has been for many, and continues to be for some, a major issue and impediment, but those of us that have stuck around as long as we have managed to find a balance. We are able to work hard and yet somehow still have fun. I don't want to speak for anyone else, but in my case, it's because I find the work itself fun.

Keep in mind, everyone has fun differently. If something exists in the game it's because someone, somewhere, is enjoying it, not because it was forced down anyone's throat.
      StoryPlotter Odjit points to her kohl-lined button eyes.
      StoryPlotter Odjit points to you.
      StoryPlotter Odjit draws her finger over her throat slowly.

Comment

Working...
      X