Announcement

Collapse

SkotOS Downtown: Wednesday, 11am-1pm PT

I am scheduling a downtime for all SkotOS machines from 11am-1pm PT on Wednesday.
  • Marrach will be going down to upgrade its Operating System
  • Lazarus (and Lovecraft) will be going down to upgrade its Operating System
  • Ironclaw will (hopefully) be going down to tune its performance
See more
See less

About Hair & Chargen (small debate)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• About Hair & Chargen (small debate)

Alright so I know chargen has horrible options for hair, both colors and textures and I know its frustrating.

Stylists players were basically told its alright to help players cover for those lackings by oocly changing hair colors before the character actually emerges to normal hair colors that the chargen is missing.

So I'm asking both stylists and players to be rational about the choice of color. No one wakes up with a highlighted cinnamon hair. Dont choose a color that is clearly artificial. And if you do, dont come complaining to me when my char doesnt believe you and ban you from the group's services (unless you stp it, and there is a way to tell).

Just my 2 cents and how I view it.

Feel free to opine.
    Tali

P.S.
    Last year like 25 colors got lowered in links, especially for the 11th link and there was also guidelines for gifting, which helps you get higher colors than your own link. I guess nothing will keep some people satisfied, so yeah, both me and my character arent easy about it. Makes me wonder if I should finish the current additions, if no one respects it anyway.
    Mistress Tristana

Member of Her Majesty's Court
    Embinder/Hairstylist
    Aide for the Healers
    Patron of the Embinders
    Scribe of the Chambers

I agree, because some how that is not fair to those that actually ended up paying storypoints to have the color they wanted. I will help out with normal or possibly normal hair coloring but some colors we have are truely not natural colors. No one would just be born that way. Unless they are Lucus and come from some stange blue country .
    Finna Moon, Courtier to Her Majesty's Court

Comment

Can be very easily resolved. Just say that only char-gen colours are 'natural born' colours and it'll be done with. If people want other start colours, they can pay StP's for them like they would with eyes and what not.

ps. It's not like it's overly difficult to get a hairstylist to change your haircolour when it comes to it

Courtier of the Winter Court
      Assistant to the Royal Venefice Her Ladyship Hieronyma
      Fellow of Lexiography at the Royal Collegium

My pages - My deviant art
      Per Aspera ad Astra

Comment

*nod* Yep.. essentially just accept that the chargen colors indeed really are all that the bones Doctor G is dealing with now have access to. Perhaps a strange body shows up.. (Storypoints), otherwise what is in chargen is what you get.

Then you don't have to play subjective games of what is a valid natural haircolor and second guess the char gen system.

Though.. I wonder what Fez would have been like if he'd started life with a pompadour.

Comment

I always thought the change was ridiculous. Suddenly people couldn't have raven, white, silver, salt-and-pepper, etc. hair.

Here's a solution, though: require every hairstylist to file a note on TWiki every time they give a new character a haircolor OOC. If you want to allow textures, make them list both. Put a list of acceptable haircolors and textures on this TWiki page - you can't really complain that people aren't "reasonable" when what they're not doing is reading your mind. If the instructions and acceptable options are written there, all you need to worry about is banning and blacklisting or firing people who violate them.

Then cooperate with SCs and have them add a note on the page whenever someone's hair is storypointed (with no hairstylist IC involvement).
          Priam: You know what's a bad idea?
          Kyramor: Not usually

Comment

Originally posted by Priam View Post
            Put a list of acceptable haircolors and textures on this TWiki page - you can't really complain that people aren't "reasonable" when what they're not doing is reading your mind.
            I accept your idea and agree that it is a possible solution, however, when I ask people to be reasonable, I suppose colors from the latest fashion show, who were supposedly mixed and invented by serveral stylists IC, would be immedietly off the list.
            Mistress Tristana

Embinder/Hairstylist
            Aide for the Healers
            Patron of the Embinders
            Scribe of the Chambers

Comment

Originally posted by Tristana View Post
              I accept your idea and agree that it is a possible solution, however, when I ask people to be reasonable, I suppose colors from the latest fashion show, who were supposedly mixed and invented by serveral stylists IC, would be immedietly off the list.
              Yeah, but that's your personal subjective evaluation of the nebulous term "reasonable" in this particular context. Someone else is going to have an entirely different idea of what is "reasonable" (this evaluation may, for example, be influenced by how good of a sales pitch someone gives for their request to get iridescent champagne-blonde hair).

Comment

Silly people with their unnatural hair colours. Who would do such a thing, not me. >__>
                "It is more honorable to be raised to a throne than to be born to one. Fortune bestows the one, merit obtains the other."
                - Petrarch

"So far as he is able, a prince should stick to the path of good but, if the necessity arises, he should know how to follow evil."
                - Niccolo Machiavelli

"Men should be either treated generously or destroyed, because they take revenge for slight injuries - but for severe ones they cannot."
                - Niccolo Machiavelli

Comment

The chargen options bug me to no end. Not just colours (hey, I want to play an albino! Where's white hair? Or..I want to play a geezer, why can't I do salt&pepper?). Textures too. I mean, I wanted Euphelia to have naturally curly hair. Can't. Not in the chargen. And yes, natural curls happen. It isn't always a result of a perm or styling agents.

I'm still aggravated to no end that I can't have my character appear the way she should 'naturally' without being higher link.

I have no problem OOCly fixing people, but I do agree with Tristana's player - if you're going to be 'fixed', you're not going to be fixed with something patently artificial.

Comment

In my opinion, the hair choices on the chargen are beyond limited and need to be expanded significantly. Now, as Fezwin was saying it could be said that the doc only has those things to work with... well yeah, except that as Tali pointed out, for a long time it has been done that people could ooc'ly have their hair colored or changed before leaving their room to accomodate a lack of options in the chargen.

That said, I think the best solution all around is to add options to the chargen (and that -really- shouldn't be that hard to do). Now to me, there are very few, if any, colors and textures and lengths done IC by the stylists I think shouldn't be in the chargen. I do see some instances when you might need to remove a 'texture category color' (like hazle-streaked), just because people don't always have good judgement. For instance, let's say that someone want's waist length hazle-streaked golden-brown hair. I've seen people have that naturally, the hazle-streaks simply being a variation in color of the golden-brown. On the other hand, if they said waist length hazle-streaked pitch-black hair... that would likely look quite artificial. So, let's say you could keep all the color/streaking textures out of the chargen to prevent that.

As far as I'm concerned, every length in the list makes sense to be able to wake up with. Every base color makes sense as well, and every texture (excluding those color textures I mentioned already). Those all I think should be added to the chargen. However! I think that practically Allllll of the styles should be things done IC. Leave a few basic options in the chargen like there are now, but all the rest can come IC. There is no reason someone needs to wake with their hair in a 'jeweled crown braid' but it does make sense for them to have 'hip-length wispy silver hair' with a style of 'loose'. LC has oodles of colors in the chargen, and people do fine with it.

~Nicole
                    "A synonym is a word you use when you can't spell the word you first thought of."- Bacharach
                    "Education has produced a vast population able to read but unable to distinguish what is worth reading."- Trevelyan
                    "There is nobody so irritating as somebody with less intelligence and more sense than we have."- Herold
                    "I don't necessarily agree with everything I say."- McLuhan
                    "There was never a great genius without a tincture of madness." - Aristotle
                    Get Firefox -- My Blog

Comment

I wanted Rosalind to have curly red hair. Copper was the closest and luckily within the first month of her waking a stylist agreed to give her curly hair (which I had been using "unruly" and calling it messy curls). So it was kind of a trade off. Now she would never leave her copper hair. Speaking of, many of the char gen colors are higher than 11th link which seems a bit odd to me. It also seems like a lot of OOC work for the stylists to go around changing people's hair colours. I would say they should stp for it or better yet, the char gen should be updated with at least a few more options.

Comment

Just in case some of you are too new to remember... the chargen used to have a wealth of options for hair. Priam's white blonde hair was from the chargen. (And can be distinguished as "grandfathered natural" by the lack of a hyphen, curiously enough.) I forget if we had more textures, honestly, but definitely more colors. Raven, white blonde, etc.

Comment

I'd love to have an expanded char-gen listing of colours and textures. If that was done, then we could easily have a fast 'No ooc modifications for chargen limitations' rule.

Comment

Originally posted by Fez View Post
                            *nod* Yep.. essentially just accept that the chargen colors indeed really are all that the bones Doctor G is dealing with now have access to. Perhaps a strange body shows up.. (Storypoints), otherwise what is in chargen is what you get.
                            Off the cuff, that would be my answer as well.
                            Originally posted by Diedra View Post
                            In my opinion, the hair choices on the chargen are beyond limited and need to be expanded significantly. Now, as Fezwin was saying it could be said that the doc only has those things to work with... well yeah, except that as Tali pointed out, for a long time it has been done that people could ooc'ly have their hair colored or changed before leaving their room to accomodate a lack of options in the chargen.
                            I've never heard of anyone saying that it was OOCly all right to "make up for the limitations" of character generation. I think the limitationsa are deliberate, for one reason or another. The lack of certain colors or styles or textures are I believe something you are supposd to ICly quirk your eyebrow at. That is my understanding at least.
                            Originally posted by Priam View Post
                            Just in case some of you are too new to remember... the chargen used to have a wealth of options for hair. Priam's white blonde hair was from the chargen. (And can be distinguished as "grandfathered natural" by the lack of a hyphen, curiously enough.) I forget if we had more textures, honestly, but definitely more colors. Raven, white blonde, etc.
                            I believe that's true. Does anyone remember exactly when the limited selection went into place so I can do some research as to why beyond what I anecdotally know? Again, my gut reaction would be that the list is deliberately limited rather than somehow "deficient" or "lacking". I think people should consider the implications of saying that Doc G apparently hasn't raised up anyone with curley hair since the New Awakenings, for example.

StoryPlotter Geist
                            geist@marrach.skotos.net

Comment

This has been brought up before, and I said I am willing to make a list of normal things that should be in there. I think Red and White for example or curly - if of course there isnt an IC reason behind it.

Geist, if you could page me, we'll talk about it. I need to talk to you about the stylists new stuff and some other things too *points at the emails and runs off*
                              Mistress Tristana

Embinder/Hairstylist
                              Aide for the Healers
                              Patron of the Embinders
                              Scribe of the Chambers

Comment

Working...
                              X