No announcement yet.

About Hair & Chargen (small debate)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I understand it as eg. curly hair can't be done by the Necromancer, or some of the other options that's not in the chargen. Either due to weather, season, too much whiskey or what not

Courtier of the Winter Court
    Assistant to the Royal Venefice Her Ladyship Hieronyma
    Fellow of Lexiography at the Royal Collegium

My pages - My deviant art
    Per Aspera ad Astra

Comment

Originally posted by Tristana
      A month ago Trist dismissed all those who werent active. You can ask Hazelline, Adalyn and Katherina - they are still [ICly] pissed at Trist for that decision.
      Not to mention Alyse, but Trist had been looking for reasons to dismiss her for moons, even though she had been quite active. I did not post an announcement for open bells, but spent quite some time RPing with characters like Sidara and Olivier down in the Salon, and they were just the last ones I recall. Personally, though, I think anyone just out of linens should have nasty styles and textures. A new character has been dead for gods know how long, and gods know what chemicals Doctor Getheaht uses in his process. It gives all new characters yet another reason to seek out and interact with others. You find a Seamstress or Almoner to get your first set of nice clothing, and a Stylist to restore your hair to health. That can be thought of as a gradual process, which is why the newly awakened are not permitted all the styles, colors and textures as an established Eleventh Link denizen.

Comment

Originally posted by Tristana View Post
        I'm sorry, WHAT?! This week alone there were 3 open bells - Rikka, Camellia, Euphelia. Finna holds bells all the time. A month ago Trist dismissed all those who werent active. You can ask Hazelline, Adalyn and Katherina - they are still oocly pissed at Trist for that decision.

The stylists holds more open bells than the seamstresses, no offense, but its true. And just because you cant personally find a stylist, doesnt mean we sit and do nothing, so yes, you are devaluing them.

I am so angry with this thread, all of those complaints and bitching. I bet you if there was a VP in charge of the stylists like there is Ermengarde for clothes, you would all keep it down. I am so tired of getting hits just because you wont work hard to get something you want.

Some of you are being rude, and given Keri and me just finished working on like 28 new additions to the parser (colors and styles mixed) you are totally making me want to just delete the entire damn file.

Utterly pissed,
        Tali

*super huggles* I didn't mean for you to get upset at all. My only point was that I can send a scroll to a seamstress for an item of clothing, whereas three open bells in a week are not necessarily something I can make and haven't been able to make. I totally realize that you and the other stylists do work very hard, but there are just those of us that can't come to your open bells (like me). More huggles. I'm not trying to devalue the stylists. Even more huggles.

Comment

Originally posted by Dariel View Post
          Let's face it. These guidelines are all OOC. The Seamstress guidelines in no way follow reality or logic for example. They just go by which colours come in at which level. Same with hair dyes for example.
          This is a little bit more along the lines of what I meant. Personally, it doesn't make sense (to me) that IC'ly people actually differentiate between vanilla blonde and champagne blonde and lush versus silky. I just... I don't see any difference that would actually be noticeable by the vast majority of characters, especially in hair colour. Again, IMHO I always thought of them as completely OOC guidelines (I used to page the hairstylists to tell them exactly what my character was describing). I always thought they should be more like the jewelers, in that they didn't have specific guidelines except for maybe "hey, you're 11th link, no jeweled crown braids for you" or "hey you're 11th link, we worked to come up with this new streaking method, you can't have that". Otherwise, the IC hairstylists are more advanced that current day hairstylists. We can't go in and say "we want this shade exactly" because they have to specially mix it, consider our current shade, and it still won't come out a certain shade. The current day stylist certainly wouldn't say "oh that's lush vanilla blonde, not silky champagne blonde".

Anyway, my two cents. I'm NOT trying to devalue stylists, I'm just giving a personal opinion. I can stop if its offending anyone, truly.

Comment

Originally posted by Alyse View Post
            Not to mention Alyse, but Trist had been looking for reasons to dismiss her for moons, even though she had been quite active.
            I dont really understand how your IC assumptions about my character's behaviour is related to this discussion.
            Mistress Tristana

Member of Her Majesty's Court
            Embinder/Hairstylist
            Aide for the Healers
            Patron of the Embinders
            Scribe of the Chambers

Comment

Originally posted by Geist View Post
              I'm just going to point out that people are assuming some things about what the process of necromancy is, and what Doc G does in raising a body.

Just sayin'...
              Statements like this irk me. It doesn't -help- the conversation, does it? It sounds like a "I don't know the answer but since I'm staff, I'll make it up as I go along and toss out vague comments to cover my butt."

Understand I mean no disrespect, but that's just how the answer strikes me.

Comment

Originally posted by Euphelia View Post
                Statements like this irk me. It doesn't -help- the conversation, does it? It sounds like a "I don't know the answer but since I'm staff, I'll make it up as I go along and toss out vague comments to cover my butt."

Understand I mean no disrespect, but that's just how the answer strikes me.
                Actually to me it sounded like: There is a bit of a reason behind it, but I'm not going to ruin it by saying it here. However, hint hint, maybe try to find out IC.

Comment

Originally posted by Tristana
                  I dont really understand how your IC assumptions about my character's behaviour is related to this discussion.
                  It merely serves as an indicator of the anal-retentive aspects of certain things, and the fact that there is not always logic apparent behind either IC or OOC decisions. I do not discount either, because favor is the name of the game and mystery is a constant.

Comment

Just my two cents, I think the vast majority of people who have posted are missing the original point of the post.

From a strictly IC perspective, it doesn't make sense for a brand new character to be wandering around with a hair colour that was supposed to have been created by stylists. That means that it isn't a natural color in game, and it makes no sense for someone to start with it. The ability to spend storypoints to get colors blurs this distinction, but that's one of those little quirks you just have to shrug at.

And yeah, chargen's options do suck. If there's an IC reason for it, some story about why the doc can only raise people with certain colors, why is this something that can be overridden by storypoints? I can understand people who want a specific color and texture, sure. My char has a color neither he nor I particularly care for because what I wanted wasn't available in chargen, so I basically just picked at random.

I can also totally understand Tali's frustrations, because she does work really hard, using her time that could otherwise be spent RPing to oversee the stylists, add new styles and colors, and people's attitude is 'oh, it's only hair'. She certainly doesn't get the credit she deserves for helping make CM a bit more interesting and diverse. What she asked for opinions about was chargen and hair colors, not about the stylists in general or their guidelines. She didn't ask for attacks on her opinions.

Right, so, in answer to the original idea posed, I think a wider variety of colors should be available in chargen, and not necessarily only eleventh link colors, either. Textures and styles, of course, should remain more limited, but things like curly should definately be added.

And I wanted a reddish blonde, dammit!

Comment

I at this point have no CLUE what in the hell this thread is about because of all this freaking FURY over imaginary people's HAIR. Take a deep breath for crying out loud.

Comment

And yeah, chargen's options do suck. If there's an IC reason for it, some story about why the doc can only raise people with certain colors, why is this something that can be overridden by storypoints? I can understand people who want a specific color and texture, sure. My char has a color neither he nor I particularly care for because what I wanted wasn't available in chargen, so I basically just picked at random.
                        Chargen is what you get as one of the standard folk Getheaht raises. This also includes the standard set of backrounds, and possible skills/benefits. Any of these can be overidden with story points. You could start with a different set of skills, some special ability, or perhaps different hair. If it is out of the norm, you pay points.

*shrug*

Perhaps ask why most bodies seem to have those common set of traits. What it says either about the selection of bodies or Doctor Getheaht's process.

Comment

Originally posted by JJWest View Post
                          From a strictly IC perspective, it doesn't make sense for a brand new character to be wandering around with a hair colour that was supposed to have been created by stylists. That means that it isn't a natural color in game, and it makes no sense for someone to start with it. The ability to spend storypoints to get colors blurs this distinction, but that's one of those little quirks you just have to shrug at.
                          Eh, see, I think that's a bit iffy really. I mean, to say that you can have three shades of brown and not three other slight variations just because those variations in color were named by someone IC seems quite over the top to me. Then there's the whole issue that the options -used- to be available in the chargen, that only complicates matters.
                          Originally posted by JJWest View Post
                          And yeah, chargen's options do suck. If there's an IC reason for it, some story about why the doc can only raise people with certain colors, why is this something that can be overridden by storypoints?
                          That is exactly the problem. As some of us were saying earlier, if for some ungodly reason a story has been made involving hair color of all things, then it -still- doesn't mesh logically. People can request hair changes OOC via storypoints before during or after their character has been around -without- needing to develop some backstory or tie in to a story giving a reason for those changes. If this were to be assumed to be anything IC, you would need a reason to be able to do that. The fact that you don't need a story reason to use SP's to change your hair, plus the fact that staffers have told people in the past that they can go to a stylist ooc for a change without points, plus the fact that the options -used- to be in the chargen... makes it all point to an OOC issue. I don't see why it's a big deal to just open up the chargen the way it used to be and include a variety of hair options.

~Nicole
                          "A synonym is a word you use when you can't spell the word you first thought of."- Bacharach
                          "Education has produced a vast population able to read but unable to distinguish what is worth reading."- Trevelyan
                          "There is nobody so irritating as somebody with less intelligence and more sense than we have."- Herold
                          "I don't necessarily agree with everything I say."- McLuhan
                          "There was never a great genius without a tincture of madness." - Aristotle
                          Get Firefox -- My Blog

Comment

Yes, I am being vague and teasing, but yes also to there being IC answers. What I don't know is whether the decision to limit the selection in char-gen was due to a) pure IC cause-effect, b) a realization that having high-level colors available devalues and destablizes the in-game favor system, or c) some combination of the above.

Right now, Doc G has a process. The process results in the selction you have in character generation. No more, no less. Perhaps his process varies wth time as he experiments or with his whiskey supply. Perhaps there are other factors. We know how Doc G does what he does, and the process is vastly different than what the IC process is for changing hair color.

StoryPlotter Geist
                            geist@marrach.skotos.net

Comment

Originally posted by britta View Post
                              I at this point have no CLUE what in the hell this thread is about because of all this freaking FURY over imaginary people's HAIR. Take a deep breath for crying out loud.
                              *snickers* I've got no fury over this chicka. I think between my characters they done something to their hair maybe 4 times total over the years. I'm debating on principle because I detest illogical situations being enforced with a 'that's how it is' kind of mentality.
                              "A synonym is a word you use when you can't spell the word you first thought of."- Bacharach
                              "Education has produced a vast population able to read but unable to distinguish what is worth reading."- Trevelyan
                              "There is nobody so irritating as somebody with less intelligence and more sense than we have."- Herold
                              "I don't necessarily agree with everything I say."- McLuhan
                              "There was never a great genius without a tincture of madness." - Aristotle
                              Get Firefox -- My Blog

Comment

What's the big thing about hair anyway? You can't get black lips, tight arse or sexy eyebrows in chargen, but noone complains that these options aren't here. You can't pick tattoos in chargen either, but noone complains. You can't pick a fingernail length, a toe length or how sharp your teeth are.

It's part of a story that we contact others to get things done, so why not for hair also? It's not like our haircolour or texture really defines how we are as people inside. And thinking of it, why not just create a char who's convinced they're blonde and wonder how the heck their hair all the sudden became mouse-brown.

Makes for story to me.

Courtier of the Winter Court
                                Assistant to the Royal Venefice Her Ladyship Hieronyma
                                Fellow of Lexiography at the Royal Collegium

My pages - My deviant art
                                Per Aspera ad Astra

Comment

Working...
                                X