Go Slow On The Bridge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Go Slow On The Bridge

I know some of you have probably figured this out already, but this is for those that have not. If you move slow across the bridge you can avoid the bridge shaking and spewing dust and debris all over you or shifting and cracking.

I know we have been told to do this but I do not believe people understood that it really works. The way you do it is this: You know how you put into your parser, “West or East” depending on which way you are going on the Bridge. Well most of us just zoom through pushing E or W as fast as we can to get across the bridge. The parser is seeing this as running or rushing…so the bridge responds. But if you type: E or W and then pause a moment or a second then proceed and take your time crossing the bridge then you will not run into the bridge dangerously swaying or cracking or the such. I find it rather cool this does work. Ever since I discovered it, I have not had the bridge swing or creak or crack or throw dust on me once. So try it and possibly avoid any perma death even possibly occurring. try it.
    Finna Moon, Courtier to Her Majesty's Court

*flashbacks*

No running near the pool!

Comment

Originally posted by rgendron02 View Post
      *flashbacks*

No running near the pool!
      Priam: You know what's a bad idea?
      Kyramor: Not usually

Comment

Not wanting to be the ic nazi or anything, but isn't this sort of one of those things that may be best found out in character and in game?

Comment

Apparently not. People have had repeated warnings IC to either not use the Bridge or walk very slow. But most people seem to just have the idea in their head that pressing n, s, e, w as fast as possible is the way to move around. I admit it, I do it a lot myself. Most people don't even look to see what happens when they move. So, we're letting people know that, hey, yes, the game itself is keeping track of how you're moving, so what we're saying IC isn't a bunch of bull for you, as a player, to ignore and keep using your nsew spam movement.

Comment

My character has -never- been warned to go slow on the bridge, so to say that everyone knows this in game, or imply it, isn't entirely fair. I know Euphelia runs on the bridge because she's scared, so the faster she gets OFF the bridge, the happier she is.

Comment

Personally I think that this kind of code is a bit silly. No one is going to emote 'slowly walk across bridge' when no one is around. When people just hit 'e, w, w, n, s' to travel around, they're not emoting running - they're bluebooking walking in an empty room where there's no audience and no point in RPing movement.

Furthermore, I'd hope that the amount of people 'running' over the bridge isn't recorded and being taken into account on how much 'damage' is being caused to the bridge, if no one was warned that code-wise they had to 'walk' when no one was around.
              "It is more honorable to be raised to a throne than to be born to one. Fortune bestows the one, merit obtains the other."
              - Petrarch

"So far as he is able, a prince should stick to the path of good but, if the necessity arises, he should know how to follow evil."
              - Niccolo Machiavelli

"Men should be either treated generously or destroyed, because they take revenge for slight injuries - but for severe ones they cannot."
              - Niccolo Machiavelli

Comment

Ok this is ridiculous! It is simple. Don't just haphazardly e or w across the bridge. Just take a moment to pause in between each movment. I don't feel it is stupid and it makes good Rping on how you move rather an audience is present or not. At least you have a way to get across. And it has been mentioned a time or two in the IC posting I believe that bridge is dangerous and to move slow across the bridge or don't cross at all.
                Finna Moon, Courtier to Her Majesty's Court

Comment

Originally posted by Lucus View Post
                  Personally I think that this kind of code is a bit silly. No one is going to emote 'slowly walk across bridge' when no one is around.
                  I do!

Actually, I try to avoid e, w, s and n whenever I can unless, ironically, I have people on follow. If they're on follow, it's usually 'cause we got a place that needs gettin' to, so I don't dally (though, maybe I should...). Meanwhile, emoting as you walk through all the entrances and portals also displays the emote as you walk out and you never know who's on the other side. Wanna make an entrance!

Comment

Huh? Of course I'm going to emote my actions whenever I feel like it. I'm playing this game for myself. You're all just scenery. So if I'm the only one who matters, then everybody who matters will see my emoting. Why wait for the scenery to butt in? That'd be immersion-breaking.

As for the OP... uh, yeah. Keep it IC? What's the point of there being a danger to something when everybody knows they can circumvent it? That's about the dumbest thing I've ever seen. Wanna post instructions for the triggers in the Under Bailey next? Cause, like, we don't want people to get killed by the poisoned traps there. They're just there for show.

For the record, I'll go report this thread now, in hopes of getting it deleted for the disgusting OOC crossover. Very disappointing.
                    'If you're going through hell, keep going.'
                    -- Winston Churchill

POLITENESS, n.
                    The most acceptable hypocrisy.
                    -- Ambrose Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary

'Hitler had a good 20 to 30 IQ points on Bush, so comparing Bush to Hitler would in many ways be an insult to Hitler.'

Comment

Originally posted by Dariel View Post
                      As for the OP... uh, yeah. Keep it IC? What's the point of there being a danger to something when everybody knows they can circumvent it? That's about the dumbest thing I've ever seen. Wanna post instructions for the triggers in the Under Bailey next? Cause, like, we don't want people to get killed by the poisoned traps there. They're just there for show.
                      Gotta agree on that one. There was already a staff warning that there is a possibility of permadeath by simply using the bridge. If people are being told IC to go slow, then that's IC. Hell, would've worked out great if you don't like someone IC - 'Hey, best thing to do is to run across it so that you don't stand in one place putting weight on it for too long.' Not that that would work now that people know here. People have already been warned. Just like entering the UB, you walk on that bridge, you give consent. End of story. No need to bring it OOC in my opinion. Has that familiar ring of exploiting a coding loophole.
                      "A synonym is a word you use when you can't spell the word you first thought of."- Bacharach
                      "Education has produced a vast population able to read but unable to distinguish what is worth reading."- Trevelyan
                      "There is nobody so irritating as somebody with less intelligence and more sense than we have."- Herold
                      "I don't necessarily agree with everything I say."- McLuhan
                      "There was never a great genius without a tincture of madness." - Aristotle
                      Get Firefox -- My Blog

Comment

I don't think that telling people that 'hey, y'know, you probably shouldn't use your usual 'n, s, e, w' spam movement on the Bridge even though nobody's around' is a crossover, dude. It's simply telling people that, yes, if your character is going to walk slow, actually -do- so. If you're running across, great, you're running across. I'll kick your ass for it IC. However, if you're going to tell me you're being careful and walking across, how about you actually do so?

Finna is simply trying to inform people that, yes, there appears to be a game mechanic in play. Most people in this game, including myself, use the 'n, s, e, w' spam movement because nobody's around and it doesn't -effect- anything. In other places, the game doesn't just assume that your character is at a full-out sprint when you do it, since your character is walking. You're just speeding things up because it's boring to 'walk' everywhere. However, in the Bridge, even if your character is ICly walking, if you use the spam method, the game views it as sprinting. -That- is what she's warning. Simply to walk if you're walking, because there's an area that actually takes that into account unlike the rest of the castle you're used to.

Comment

Originally posted by Finna View Post
                          I know some of you have probably figured this out already, but this is for those that have not. If you move slow across the bridge you can avoid the bridge shaking and spewing dust and debris all over you or shifting and cracking.

I know we have been told to do this but I do not believe people understood that it really works. The way you do it is this: You know how you put into your parser, “West or East” depending on which way you are going on the Bridge. Well most of us just zoom through pushing E or W as fast as we can to get across the bridge. The parser is seeing this as running or rushing…so the bridge responds. But if you type: E or W and then pause a moment or a second then proceed and take your time crossing the bridge then you will not run into the bridge dangerously swaying or cracking or the such. I find it rather cool this does work. Ever since I discovered it, I have not had the bridge swing or creak or crack or throw dust on me once. So try it and possibly avoid any perma death even possibly occurring. try it.
                          Ok.

1. Finna's player should most likely have posted this IC. <- We can all agree here.

2. As far as I know (I could be wrong) you can't (currently) fall to your everlasting character's DOOM on the bridge proper. I believe that is reserved (as has been stated, if memory serves) for the crew WORKING on the bridge.

To quote Pete: "This applies far more to the repairs we will make to the exterior of the Bridge. No one should be worried too much (as of now) about walking up and down on the stairs. If those become dangerous again, you'll be advised of that both OOC and IC."

3. The emits of the dust and rubble are emits. Avoiding them or not isn't going to kill someone.

Ponce "Oh god. It was awful I ran across the bridge and got some debris on me!"

Ponce's player "Dude, I am so filing an assist. This is such B.S. Bloody rubble emits."? I don't see this happening.

And if anyone has noticed, dust, debris and cracking is the least worry. The bridge is composed of steep stairs that are now littered by planks, various work items, a slew of servants and saw dust. Your character is damn lucky if all they manage is dust and not say, a broken leg from "w,w,w,w,w"

4. Emoting going slow across the bridge is about as silly as emoting a duel.

For clarification: It's not.
                          "Once made equal to man, woman becomes his superior."
                          -Socrates

Comment

To Finna's player: Thank you for letting me and others know that the game really is keeping track of our use of the single letter movements when we cross the bridge. I was unaware, and now that I know, I'll be sure to have Theresa walk across slowly instead of bluebooking that she is doing so, as I type e e e and only pause long enough to look and see if anyone is there she needs to curtsy to.

I, like many people, use that method to travel around the castle.. I just use single letters and stop only long enough to see if anyone is in the room Theresa entered. I was -BLUEBOOKING- that she was walking slowly across the bridge, because that's what Theresa would do, is walk slowly, because she has read it on the bulletin board that that's the safest way to cross, and I didn't know that by simply typing e she was considered to be sprinting.

Finna's player wasn't posting this in order to give us IC info, but rather OOC info that our bluebooking wasn't as harmless as we might think.

I will continue to bluebook my character bathing daily and going to the bathroom amongst other things until someone makes an ooc post that tells me that until Theresa actually sits in the bathtub, I and other players are going to start getting terrible body odor emits from her. On the other hand, thanks to Finna's player's post, I will no longer bluebook Theresa walking slowly across the bridge. If -that- is crossover, then I apologize.

Comment

I can't tell if that post was sarcastic or not.

The game isn't "keeping track" of who goes over fast or not. I doubt Geist, Nino, Zell, Kalle or anyone is sitting there going "omfg, this person like totally ran over the bridge. Lets keep an eye on them and make sure they aren't using single letters!". Much less do I think they will put a code on the loo that takes a note everytime someone types: sit on privy

I'm also not sure if I'd call it "bluebooking" as much as I would call it "Quick, lets get the hell over the bridge before the door slams." I think w, l pcs, w, l pcs. Is a pretty adequate thing to do in the case of the bridge. Or else we'd all sit there, RPing with ourselves for hours.

That being said, after some experimentation, I see absolutely no difference whatsoever in wether I type in: w, w, w or walk over stairs s l o w l y. I get the twisting, vile rubble of doom either way. Or.. I don't. It seems to be random.
                              "Once made equal to man, woman becomes his superior."
                              -Socrates

Comment

Working...
                              X