Go Slow On The Bridge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Eeva View Post
    To quote Pete: "This applies far more to the repairs we will make to the exterior of the Bridge. No one should be worried too much (as of now) about walking up and down on the stairs. If those become dangerous again, you'll be advised of that both OOC and IC."
    Actually I think Pete already noted that it had increased in risk when he posted here that someone was wounded from the falling debris.

Aside from that, and despite the fact that he did say there would be warning, I don't honestly know how much more clear he could've made it about the risk of using the bridge right now and while it's being repaired particularly:
    Originally posted by Dwarf View Post
    The Bridge Repair plot will have the risk of character death, as many plots do. Yet it will also have the risk of the permanent death of a character if they fall into the Abyss.
    if you fall off the bridge during the repairs, the character can be considered dead-dead. As in, not coming back.
    We've had reassurances no one would be killed off haphazardly without plenty of fair warning. There should at least be some indication of trouble to give people a chance to respond.
    if people will not consent to such stakes, they are free to avoid the plot by avoiding the work zones.
    This serves as notice that the Bridge Repair is a major-stakes plot.
    proving they are willing to risk their characters
    People want to roleplay, then roleplay the fact that you are walking across a bridge that is falling apart and in the middle of being repaired - possibly as you actually walk across it. Expecting there to be no risk in that and looking for methods to avoid a risk that makes perfect sense is utterly ridiculous. You don't like risk, or your character doesn't - use couriers.

~Nicole
    "A synonym is a word you use when you can't spell the word you first thought of."- Bacharach
    "Education has produced a vast population able to read but unable to distinguish what is worth reading."- Trevelyan
    "There is nobody so irritating as somebody with less intelligence and more sense than we have."- Herold
    "I don't necessarily agree with everything I say."- McLuhan
    "There was never a great genius without a tincture of madness." - Aristotle
    Get Firefox -- My Blog

Comment

Yes, my post was mildly sarcastic. I see that a player thought it was neat that something responded to different things she does if she slows down to RP it and I saw others taking that entirely the wrong way, in my opinion, and accusing her of blatant crossover.

When T crosses the bridge I type e l pcs e l pcs.. that's exactly what I do. She hasn't had to cross the bridge since Finna's player's post, so I have yet to test it, but I was under the impression from her post that yes, our use of single letter movements was affecting the swaying and crumbling of the bridge.

Anyone who reads the forums often should know that I rarely ever respond on the endless debates in them. I felt the need to this time because what -I- see is Finna's player pointing something out, with no intention of crossover, but rather of showing us something we may have missed OOCly, and in return she has people say things such as:

HTML Code:
      For the record, I'll go report this thread now, in hopes of getting it deleted for the disgusting OOC crossover. Very disappointing.
      I'm too tired to remember what my point was right now, or maybe too grumpy and sick to word it nicely if I do remember, but if your opinion is that Finna's player crossed over by posting this thread, then so be it, but try to deal with that opinion in another way, rather than being rude on a public thread. Rather than threaten to assist, just -do- it so that Finna's player doesn't wake up tomorrow to come to read this forum and feel as if she's been embarrassed in front of everyone. Or at least try to be a bit more civil when voicing opinions so that other people's feelings don't get hurt.

Comment

So try it and possibly avoid any perma death even possibly occurring.
        This is from Finna's OP.

Thanks for participating. Next?
        'If you're going through hell, keep going.'
        -- Winston Churchill

POLITENESS, n.
        The most acceptable hypocrisy.
        -- Ambrose Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary

'Hitler had a good 20 to 30 IQ points on Bush, so comparing Bush to Hitler would in many ways be an insult to Hitler.'

Comment

I like strawberries.
          ~Isobel~

Comment

Then how come since I have been using this method in crossing the bridge I have had no emotes of dust and such dumping on me nor has the bridge swung or creaked or cracked and settled. Nothing matter of fact has happened. I have been using this method for a week now.

I like strewberrys too by the way.

And if the staff wants to scold me for ooc crossover so be it but that was not what this was. Sorry you see it that way. Excuse me for careing how others might view it. I thought for a moment this was a community that was allowed to speak out about something in the ooc mechnics of things. Forgive me for stepping out of line!! I remember to never post here again. That is the reason I never read the ooc stuff because it seems no one can say anything without being accused of crap rather it is true or not or without people getting insultive reguardless of how they see something. Thank you Theresa and Janwin's player for seeing it for what it was.
            Finna Moon, Courtier to Her Majesty's Court

Comment

That's why I don't like posting to this forum very much; it's like walking though a minefield. No matter how good your intentions, there's always someone ready to blow up at you and make you regret posting.

Comment

Originally posted by Ennah View Post
                That's why I don't like posting to this forum very much; it's like walking though a minefield. No matter how good your intentions, there's always someone ready to blow up at you and make you regret posting.
                Do you like strawberries too?
                ~Isobel~

Comment

Are you kidding? I love strawberries!

Strawberry yogurt, mmmmmm...

Comment

Anyone who thinks the CM forums (or the Skotos forums in general - yes, including TEC) are anything but friendly and high-quality really need to take a look around teh internets.

As good a place as any to start your education.

How people who can't handle an internets argument get along IRL, I'll never know...
                    Priam: You know what's a bad idea?
                    Kyramor: Not usually

Comment

I don't see why this is becoming such a big deal.

A player posted OOC information on an OOC board. I highly doubt Finna is going to go to the IC boards and write about what the bridge is coded to do. IC announcements were already made about the dangers of the bridge, Finna's player merely pointed out that, "yes, there is code in place to support what you've already heard IC." It's no different than when a StoryCoder posts about an update in the game code, for example the @toggle scroll ability. No one replied saying, "You should've let us find out ICly that we could tell the courier's not to give us scrolls!"

As for the bluebooking part, I can only repeat myself. People bluebook, it's part of the game. When people just hit 'e' to move through an empty room, they're doing it because there's no reason to emote, not because they're trying to demonstrate running. I don't emote unless there's an audience in the room to see it, otherwise I'd open note pad and type to myself all day long. I don't pay Skotos for that.
                      "It is more honorable to be raised to a throne than to be born to one. Fortune bestows the one, merit obtains the other."
                      - Petrarch

"So far as he is able, a prince should stick to the path of good but, if the necessity arises, he should know how to follow evil."
                      - Niccolo Machiavelli

"Know thy enemy, know thy self. A thousand battles, a thousand victories."
                      - Sun Tzu

Comment

Originally posted by Lucus View Post
                        I don't see why this is becoming such a big deal.

A player posted OOC information on an OOC board. I highly doubt Finna is going to go to the IC boards and write about what the bridge is coded to do. IC announcements were already made about the dangers of the bridge, Finna's player merely pointed out that, "yes, there is code in place to support what you've already heard IC." It's no different than when a StoryCoder posts about an update in the game code, for example the @toggle scroll ability. No one replied saying, "You should've let us find out ICly that we could tell the courier's not to give us scrolls!"

As for the bluebooking part, I can only repeat myself. People bluebook, it's part of the game. When people just hit 'e' to move through an empty room, they're doing it because there's no reason to emote, not because they're trying to demonstrate running. I don't emote unless there's an audience in the room to see it, otherwise I'd open note pad and type to myself all day long. I don't pay Skotos for that.

Actally, on that note.. shouldnt the bridge only react if we emote things like running,rushing,ect? I mean, hitting e or w is a netral stance. It shouldnt be fast or slow since its emote free. Typeing things like carefully, slowly, ect should indicate slowness.

Comment

Originally posted by Priam View Post
                          How people who can't handle an internets argument get along IRL, I'll never know...
                          I was under the impression that the common solution is to get married and only ever deal with stuff no worse than bitchy store clerks anymore.
                          'If you're going through hell, keep going.'
                          -- Winston Churchill

POLITENESS, n.
                          The most acceptable hypocrisy.
                          -- Ambrose Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary

'Hitler had a good 20 to 30 IQ points on Bush, so comparing Bush to Hitler would in many ways be an insult to Hitler.'

Comment

YHBT, married people. YHBT, CM.
                            Priam: You know what's a bad idea?
                            Kyramor: Not usually

Comment

Does anyone have any objections if I shove that encyclopedia dramatica site up Priam's derriere?
                              ~Isobel~

Comment

*cough* Did I mention I LOVE strawberries?

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information