A totally non-staff-related concern of mine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A totally non-staff-related concern of mine

Okay... I'm going to say it. STOP LEAVING! People are flocking from CM in droves. Now, if it's because of unavoidable RL stuff: GO! Real life is more important by far, on account of being real.
    However, many are leaving due to some unseen group of people who are giving them grief.
    Talk to the staff and/or post your concerns on the board so others can help. SOMETHING! (Don't name names, but post your concerns[okay, name names, but only if absolutely necessary]).
    Granted, I don't know many of these people, nor their characters well, but it does disturb me that so many people are leaving over such a short period of time.
    Maybe they have posted on the boards ,and maybe it's just me, and not so many people are leaving, if so, ignore this, but if it's not just me, is anyone else worried about this?
    Fancy Sig? Pictures? Quotes? Bah! Use your imagination!

I'm still here.

And what's wrong with the quote in my sig?
    Dionar Elswyth

Courtier of the Winter Court

Comment

I'm still here inspite it all because I simply avoided a lot of this Game, and concentrated upon my characters.

Because of this, they are the people you need to go to if you want to have anything nice or to be on your way succeed in the Castle.

Darren Brimhall

Comment

The forums are not a true representation of how many people have left.

Often what happens is that the player of Ser Bob says that he is leaving but only to either come back a month later, or to come back as Ser Dod.

But then there are also the people that leave without saying a word, and we don't know if they left because they had been angry with CM, or for RL things, or if they just happened to die in a car accident. (That's a personal fear of mine, that I'll die suddenly and that people online will think I just left in frustration or faded away because I was tired of the game...)

Of course we also don't get postings from every player that joins the game. Every now and then we'll get a posting from a new player along the lines of "Hey just joined, hoping to get involved" but that is very rare.

I agree though I don't like to see players leave even if it was the player of a character that my character didn't like.
        Xewe Golianor

((ooc: The cake is a lie))

Comment

I haven't really noticed any mass exodus lately. A few people have quit (and, to a few of them, good riddance!), but meanwhile we've had a noticeable resurgence of old players (Isaria and Carissa come to mind immediately, but there've been others all along the last five months).

People quit, people come back. Anyone who stayed longer than 8 months (I think that's the average?) is "exceptional." People who've stayed for years and years... well, frankly, almost no other online game gets that sort of attention and loyalty from players. They (we) are miracles.
          Priam: You know what's a bad idea?
          Kyramor: Not usually

Comment

Originally posted by Bubbabz View Post
            However, many are leaving due to some unseen group of people who are giving them grief.
            This sounds sarcastic. I really hope it is sarcastic.

People who become, for whatever reason, disillusioned and bitter with the entire game, or just staff as a whole, or just other players as a whole, tend to come up with a "Them." "They" have marginalized this player, "They" have crossed over information and conspired OOC and so on and made the game unplayable.

It always reminds me of this teacher at my last job, who refused to take her medication. She'd always burst into my office, ranting about whatever tiny inconvenience she had blown out of proportion that day, and accusing "Them" of harassing her.

"They" are never really defined. Sometimes it's "cliques" (but I still can't, for the life of me, find out who these cliques consist of!), sometimes it's staff, sometimes it's... well, sometimes it's nobody in particular, but everybody in general.

The people who quit, bitter and complaining about "Them," are pretty much always displacing responsibility. They did something, or played the game in a certain way, and got a bad reaction in-character. Then they don't want to face the perfectly reasonable consequences. (Alyse's player did this just now; see here.)

It's pretty common behavior, but only because most people are sadly incapable of assuming full responsibility for themselves, and find it easier to blame others or assume that their lack of success is because "everyone hates me."

Now, not to generalize, but I find that a lot of these people played jackasses in-character, characters who were unwilling to bend when they should have. There's often this sense of entitlement about the whole situation. "I should have-- er, I mean, my character should have gotten my-- I mean his/her way! Wah! You're all unfair!"

Boo hoo.
            Priam: You know what's a bad idea?
            Kyramor: Not usually

Comment

Most Common Player Drop-Off Points (just from observation):

31st day
              1 year
              2.3 years
              3 years, and then about every 6 months thereafter

Avarage Hiatus Period (Hotel California-ism):

8-10 months
              Lady Avaria, Royal Archivist & Dean of the Royal Collegium
              Collegium Dean since 30.10.8
              Royal Archivist since 10.11.2
              Previously Senior Chronicler and Counselor

StoryPlotter Skelly says, "I always knew Avi was evil ... Now I have logged evidence!"

Comment

Actually...

I'm rather thinking that the level of intrigue isn't quite what it was, once upon a time..(Though that could be just because I'm not back fully enough to see all of it yet! )

I'd rather there was more of the intrigue fun to go around!

*eyeshift*

-Jen

((P.S.: This is probably going to get me in trouble, isn't it? WEEEE!))
                Mistress Isaria
                Courtier of Her Majesty
                Head of House for Lady Charmiam
                Royal Seamstress

Comment

Okay.... apparently, it was just me... nevermind then
                  Fancy Sig? Pictures? Quotes? Bah! Use your imagination!

Comment

Originally posted by Bubbabz View Post
                    Okay... I'm going to say it. STOP LEAVING! People are flocking from CM in droves. Now, if it's because of unavoidable RL stuff: GO! Real life is more important by far, on account of being real.
                    Talk to the staff and/or post your concerns on the board so others can help. SOMETHING! (Don't name names, but post your concerns[okay, name names, but only if absolutely necessary]).
                    Granted, I don't know many of these people, nor their characters well, but it does disturb me that so many people are leaving over such a short period of time.
                    Maybe they have posted on the boards ,and maybe it's just me, and not so many people are leaving, if so, ignore this, but if it's not just me, is anyone else worried about this?
                    Some people leave for RL matters. Some people leave due to ooc issues with the game itself (to much work, to little work, to much conflict, to little conflict, ect)
                    and a rare few of us left the gameing arena for an unnoted amount of time due to issues with staff policys.
                    People are well within their right to leave untill X meets with what they want. If X doesnt change, they dont need to pay skotos anymore.

Comment

I am still here but most of the time stay in. Has not really much to do with anything against CM but I have been playing another game that I have a good plot running in. Also it is my way of taking a break without out totally becoming disconnected. Most know if you page me I will answer and try to be out if they truely need me. Until I come back full into the game just know it isn't because of any ooc group thing or the such just taking a bit of break after playing Cm consently for 6 years just taking a bit of a breather.

But I do agree that there are many different reasons for people leaving, but yea I have not noticed that much leaving going on. If anything that who list has gotten bigger!! There has been some good mini plots going on and of course the long range ones are going good. This is not something that is unknown to CM. People do come and go. We have waves in Cm and have always had these waves. So no worries.
                      Finna Moon, Courtier to Her Majesty's Court

Comment

Originally posted by Avaria View Post
                        Most Common Player Drop-Off Points (just from observation):

31st day
                        1 year
                        2.3 years
                        3 years, and then about every 6 months thereafter

Avarage Hiatus Period (Hotel California-ism):

8-10 months
                        The fact that you've calculated all these specific numbers from observation of leaving posts indicates that you've probably been here way too long.
                        Belziel + Sameer

Comment

Six years, six months, and about 18-19 days.
                          Lady Avaria, Royal Archivist & Dean of the Royal Collegium
                          Collegium Dean since 30.10.8
                          Royal Archivist since 10.11.2
                          Previously Senior Chronicler and Counselor

StoryPlotter Skelly says, "I always knew Avi was evil ... Now I have logged evidence!"

Comment

Working...
                          X