CM Playerbase = Fascist Tools

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CM Playerbase = Fascist Tools

I've tried to contribute positively to this game. I've written freaking sonnets for it. But every time I seem to start enjoying myself, some stupid fascist thing happens and my character becomes a pariah (without, let me add, being allowed into the supposedly exciting environment of the Under Bailey).

My latest gripe is just the straw that has broken this camel's back. The main advantage of this totally regimented game is the pretty clothes. I put a lot of effort into a Courtier Package so I could wear pretty clothes. I accidentally ordered 4 (gasp) outfits in one moon (not having ordered anything for several previous moons). The "guidelines" state:

"Also, please note that if you order OVER the amount allowed per moon, and then order again the next moon. Your orders will be appended to your last one and you will get your outfits as they are completed."

But what ACTUALLY HAPPENS is that the character is blacklisted and disallowed any of the pretty clothes she longs for.

Maybe I shouldn't be surprised. But hypocrisy annoys me and this game is RIFE with it, IC and OOC.
    "I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library." Jorge Luis Borges

*wonders how that makes the playerbase fascists...*

Fascism: a governmental system led by a dictator having complete power, forcibly suppressing opposition and criticism, regimenting all industry, commerce, etc., and emphasizing an aggressive nationalism and often racism.

Fascist: a person who believes in or sympathizes with fascism; a member of a fascist movement or party.

I don't know about the rest of the playerbase, but I, for one, don't go around believing in dictatorships, or, for example, greet people with the Nazi salute.

Comment

You know. A lot of us are very open to criticism and suggestions. But if you really want people to read your argument, you should leave any animosity out of it. Because, honestly, a lot of us have had similar problems on occasion that make us stop and say, "Well, wait a second. Is this IC reluctance of inclusion good for newer players? Is this IC suppression of rules over X very fair to people who have to go away IRL? Or did someone just make an oversight OOC?"

I don't know the full story over the two specific issues you're citing, and I'm not going to pretend to. But when you come out and make your argument simply berating, people won't be very affected by any validity. Instead, I think suggestions about how to change the game on a fundamental level so that it is more inclusive would be much more effective than blatantly calling all of us fascists and citing two personal problems, without suggesting that people consider change for the mere benefit of the game.

Comment

Originally posted by Janwin View Post
        *wonders how that makes the playerbase fascists...*

Fascism: a governmental system led by a dictator having complete power, forcibly suppressing opposition and criticism, regimenting all industry, commerce, etc., and emphasizing an aggressive nationalism and often racism.

Fascist: a person who believes in or sympathizes with fascism; a member of a fascist movement or party.

I don't know about the rest of the playerbase, but I, for one, don't go around believing in dictatorships, or, for example, greet people with the Nazi salute.
        Notice, sweet tickle-brain, that the definitions you cite do not mention Nazi salutes. The first one does mention "regimenting all industy, commerce, etc" which is in fact what the crafting system in this game does. A character CANNOT learn any skills in this game without submitting (or pretending for a time to submit; in appearance and therefore practice, conforming) to the whim of Guilds. This is vastly opposed to the open skill systems seen in superior Skotos games such as TEC and Lovecraft, in which even new characters may learn skills and contribute to the gameworld environment without being beaten down a dictated path.

I will concede that the definition of "fascist" includes "belief." Perhaps there's a strong player desire for open skillsets and open production and industry in the Castle. Since, however, the players are ROLEPLAYING A DICTATORSHIP I question whether any of them really want newbies to be able to learn jewelsmithing or bookbinding or tailoring or any of the other lovely crafting skills without KISSING ASS FOR YEARS ON END.

In short, your logic fails. Burn.
        "I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library." Jorge Luis Borges

Comment

I think, especially when the newly awoken courtiers creep into the IB, the majority of the characters ICly aren't the most pleasant (from observation, for the most part) - and ICly it can be justified by the whole argument of "they didn't work for it", or whatever, but OOC criticism leak through too, inevitably. I think ever since the STP option was introduced there has always been some complaint about "Why not acquire it IG, gawd?" and then adding to the hypocrisy fuel "There's nobody ever in the IB, gawd!".

Those who've collected STPs can have done so in any other Skotos game, and decided to try out a different venue of awakening with a character in CM - we never know, OOC, if the new character (courtier or not) is an established player with an alt, or a total Marrachian-virgin. Therefore I think it is also an OOC responsability of players to be equally patient and supportive as they are to any newlie.

The new clothes are very pretty, and everyone wants a nab - but before jumping to the conclusion that every player who pays for their entertainment in this game is a fiendishly cruel dictator take a moment to think if the ban may have been issued due to a prior incident with your character (hint: walking around with an arm-full and an unsheathed weapon can be taken rather badly IC).

If you are unsure if there may have been an OOC-leak into this blacklisting, file an @assist.

I think at one time or another everyone will have wanted to tear out their hair and scream in frustration - and then post. I have done so zillions of times, but I think you should maybe cool off for a few moments and then re-evaluate the situation. Or try to.

If anything, have your character demand an audience with Queenie to address this atrocious behavior by the seamstresses toward one of her courtiers. RP with the barriers as best as you can; if it turns out there was no OOC-ness underlying within the IC event that seems to have upset you.

Just some advice.

Comment

TEC Republic > Fascist CM Monarchy. BAM!

Also I have no business posting over here.

Come play TEC, Miriam!
            "I would have written of me on my stone: I had a lover's quarrel with the world," Robert Frost

Comment

You don't seem to understand that the castle structure is exactly why it's this way. We're in a remote castle. Supplies are seemingly limited. And typically only one group controls a specific provision.

People can't learn how to craft X willy nilly because the castle's story regarding supplies seemingly can't support it (or at least characters want to make it seem like the supplies are more limited than perhaps they really are).

People sometimes get shut out because a player decides that his or her character wouldn't like another character for a very valid reason.

These things are both an impediment to inclusion. So how can we be more inclusive without breaking the potential for interesting IC conflict and cutting off any chance of inclusion entirely?

You need to ask this question to get people to think about the situation logically. Simply calling people fascists doesn't accomplish this with people who can't look past that.

Then you need to offer some suggestions for solutions. As an example of one solution that I've seen, another character can put pressure on others to "do their jobs" (since the Queen would want it). So this creates an environment where characters are forced to be more inclusive, meaning the fundamentals of the game shift somewhat to accommodate a less hostile game environment, without removing potential for IC conflict.

That's not the only solution, of course. There's more. And most of us are receptive to them. But animosity doesn't help your plight.

Comment

Just a note; there have been no recent blacklistings from the Seamstresses aside the character Lance.

Cheers! ^-^
                Mistress Ermengarde
                Royal Seamstress

Comment

She does this occasionally. I wondered when the honeymoon would be over.

Forgive me, I"m laughing too hard to type more.

Wait, wait..calmed down. Someone asked me in the TEC wa if buying a courtier is like buying a wealthy patrician, I answered, "No, its like buying a rich character with lots of friends and skills" I mean, it gets your foot in the door, I guess..but that doesn't mean anyone HAS to like the character, or HAS to respect the character, and it definately means that you need to follow the written and unwritten laws of the castle. Going out of character to bitch about an In character event is, as anywhere, bad form.

Comment

Good grief!

I am a liberal in the European sense of the word and I am roleplaying a character in a hierarchial feudal world. My character can be basically good and basically evil, and he can support the current system or he can oppose it. But no matter how my character behaves in this game, this does not make me a fascist. Same goes for everyone else.
                    BRAAAAIIINS!

Comment

*breaks out the knee-high boots and dark glasses and starts goose-stepping around the castle*

Wait.. are we arguing over the way our government is run or the clothes we wear? Because to me the fascist fashion is to die for.. or be killed over.. *wonders if the new room off the servants hallway is in actuality an execution chamber*

Hungry? Why Wait?

Comment

I didn't read any of this post, but the title made me giggle.
                        Duke Sol glances over you inconsequentially, "Ah. One of those."

Comment

I got called a fascist for squirting smokers that were smoking outside my window with a water gun.
                          ~Ameko

Comment

Originally posted by Miriam View Post
                            (without, let me add, being allowed into the supposedly exciting environment of the Under Bailey)
                            Been there, done that, and the only remotely exciting part is coming up (risking, you know, permanent death). Doubly so now that even the pretense of the Under Bailey being filled with murderous criminals is gone, and people just go down there because their TS partner is there.
                            Priam: You know what's a bad idea?
                            Kyramor: Not usually

Comment

Just a note; there have been no recent blacklistings from the Seamstresses aside the character Lance
                              Tell me pleeeeeeeeease....it's because of the belt!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X