Excuses, excuses

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Excuses, excuses

Now in real life, there a millions of good excuses you can give as to why you were late to that meeting at work, or why you didn't quite make that deadline, or why you couldn't attend that important work function. You got stuck in traffic. Your car broke down. Your kid got sick. You had to attend someone's funeral.

However in CM, the only real excuses I know of are "I was sick" or "I was tired." Are we all suffering from chronic fatigue syndrome? Surely there must be SOME better excuses that we can give if we can't make some sort of important social function? Otherwise it just comes off as looking plain lazy on the part of our characters. Because really, you can't say "Well gee, Lord Snootybriches, I sure am honored that you invited me to your really important social on Friday evening, but I've got a hot date, and frankly I'd rather do that instead." Instead you're stuck saying something lame and repetitive that makes you look like you're either lazy or have a chronic case of mono, when truthfully, there's pretty much nothing in the Castle, on a day to day normal basis, that would prevent someone from being somewhere. We have nowhere else to go and nothing else to do that can't be done another time.

Surely better excuses exist?

>_> Well, IC excuses..

1. I was dead at the time.

2. I was recently revived and didn't remember anything.

3. I got stuck in a snow drift.

4. I slipped on the stairs and was out for a bit.

5. I had a hot date.

6. I inhaled a black rose.

7. I got lost in my armoire.

8. I OD'd on opium.

9. I locked myself in the gaol. (I am not even joking, this has happened)

10. I was abducted by a Noble and or Royal and locked in a secret suite.

11. I got kidnapped to the Under Bailey.

12. I lost track of time and wound up frozen in a coffin for awhile.

13. I was turned into a toad.

14. I made Lady Hieronyma mad and was sitting out the effects of her tea.

15. I was arrested.

16. Got stuck in a spider web.

<.< Ok, that's all I can think of off hand. Though, I'm not entirely sure what the post resulted from, but it seemed like a fun chance to think of IC excuses that COULD be valid.
    "Once made equal to man, woman becomes his superior."
    -Socrates

Comment

Hmmmm....

1) I stood in the OB courtyard for an hour in a terrible, chatting, and then I got frostbite.

2) I haven't bathed or changed clothes for months, and Mistress Ermengarde asked the Guard to detain me for a special purification ritual.

3) I haven't been to the privy for a year, and then suddenly...well and it took all day.

4) I was arrested for Consortion.
      BRAAAAIIINS!

Comment

More IC excuses ...

1. Too many people wanted 10 pamphlets each and I've been busy embinding the darn things. Do you know how long it -takes-?

2. There I was, up in the Clock Tower, writing away, and I overturned my inkpot, and it positively -ruined- my garments, and stained my hands besides. So I just -had- to take a seven-bell bath, scrub with salt, and then stitch a completely new outfit. Took two days.

3. I was locked in the Garden Society room.

4. I wanted to paint my toenails. Had to invent toenail dye/paint.

5. Was developing new designs for undergarments, was lost in thought. Sorry.

6. Was showing my sketches for undergarments to <pick PC here>. Sorry.

7. Was stitching new undergarments for <pick PC here>. Sorry.

8. The Handmaidens asked me to fill in pieces for Her Majesty's wardrobe. Wow, does She -ever- need <fill in garment category here>.

9. His Highness asked me to inventory his wardrobe. Goodness, does He ever have some fancy clothes!

10. His Excellency stared at me. Twice. I ran, shaking, to the Royal Chapel to pray.

11. I was experimenting with dyes and got woozy. Why don't we have better ventilation in that workroom?

Comment

Originally posted by Jerisa View Post
          More IC excuses ...

1. Too many people wanted 10 pamphlets each and I've been busy embinding the darn things. Do you know how long it -takes-?
          QFT! QFT! QFT!!!!!

(Good God, poor Temmy received an order for 260 pamphlets just the other day. No, he didn't make it, but try to imagine how much you would hate the world after handcrafting 260 leather pamphlets without getting paid?)
          BRAAAAIIINS!

Comment

I just explain it all out in OOC, in either of my characters.
            And if the person in question doesn't like it, well that's just too bad.

Darren Brimhall

Comment

INQ excuses :

1) I could tell you why I cannot attend but then I would have to kill you.
              2) Why are you so curious about my attendance suddenly. That's awfully suspicious, how about I send one of my men to speak to you about your REAL motives.
              3) He could tell you why I was late but, I would have to kill him.
              4) I had to clean up a place in the prison that made even Helve squeamish.
              5) I was trapped in the Under Bailey gathering reconnaissance.
              6) My office door was blocked by the overflow of Contortion Accusations.
              7) I was actually trying to get the Royal Guard, Chancery, Sentry, and Inquisition to agree on how to handle a situation.
              8) I was washing Xanadorian's blood out of my tunic.
              9) I lost Sir Viceran's spurs and had to find them.
              10) I was planning a Tea Party.

Comment

Originally posted by Howe View Post
                INQ excuses :

1) I could tell you why I cannot attend but then I would have to kill you.
                2) Why are you so curious about my attendance suddenly. That's awfully suspicious, how about I send one of my men to speak to you about your REAL motives.
                3) He could tell you why I was late but, I would have to kill him.
                4) I had to clean up a place in the prison that made even Helve squeamish.
                5) I was trapped in the Under Bailey gathering reconnaissance.
                6) My office door was blocked by the overflow of Contortion Accusations.
                7) I was actually trying to get the Royal Guard, Chancery, Sentry, and Inquisition to agree on how to handle a situation.
                8) I was washing Xanadorian's blood out of my tunic.
                9) I lost Sir Viceran's spurs and had to find them.
                10) I was planning a Tea Party.
                Ok IG I used your 1/2/3/5/7(more than once)/and 9 before.

To add to that. (Note I did use all of these)
                "meetings"
                "I needed to talk to an informer"
                "I was asking one of the magi about some scrolls I have."
                "I had to kill someone first."

And I think my number one excuse while i was in the inquisition was
                "Sorry for my delay, I was busy due to the..... issues going on right now."

Comment

GENERAL IC EXCUSES:

1.) The Seamstresses changed the Clothing Guidelines -again- and I had nothing to wear -again-.

2.) I was on my way but Elmer trapped me in a corner and wouldn't let me go until someone came along and offered him a meatball.

3.) I was bit by a black-and-white spider and went insane for a couple hours.

4.) I froze in place about halfway there.

5.) I slipped on one of the meatballs Elmer dropped and sprained my ankle so I had to stay in bed for a while.

6.) I underestimated a couple of things: it takes longer than I thought to get around in these shackles. Don't even get me started on how hard stairs are.....

7.) I coudn't remember how to get out of the secret passages.

8.) I was coming from the Misty Glade and one of those wyverns actually snatched me up and flew around with me for a while before finally dropping me on the ground. I didn't come to for nearly thirty bells.

9.) I debated too long with myself on whether lime and pink went together.

10.) I kept slipping and falling on the Inner Bailey Pond and couldn't get up.

CHANCERY EXCUSES:

1.) I had a bad wig day.

2.) I had to re-write the Consortion Law -again- .

3.) I had to sit and cheer up Lord Boreas because he was depressed about no one liking him.

4.) I accidentally hit myself in the head with a gavel and passed out for a while.

5.) I lost track of time practicing my "stern-but-fair" look in the mirror.

6.) Do I really need an excuse for not attending the "Criminals are People, Too" rally?

7.) Lord Boreas drank all the icewine and I was frantically busy stomping grapes for Master Geoffry.

8.) I was busy helping Helve sharpen his axe.

9.) All the Chancery members retired -again- and I had to do all the work they didn't do.

10.) I had to clean the blood out of the Prisoner Box in the Courtroom.

ETAINE EXCUSES:

1.) I was doing my wifely duties.

2.) " " " " " "

3.) " " " " " "

4.) " " " " " "

5.) " " " " " "

6.) " " " " " "

7.) " " " " " "

8.) " " " " " "

9.) " " " " " "

50,000,000.) " " " " " "

Comment

1) I laced my corset too tightly and passed out.

2) The bald guard was stalking me again.

3) I broke the heel of one of my favourite boots/shoes and spent the next 10 bells crying in my room.

4) The dustbunnies under my bed stole my socks again, so I had to have an epic fight against them before they took over the castle and stole Her Majesty's socks too.

5) I found a split end while I was styling my hair and fainted from the shock.

Huh... Yeah, I can't think of anything else.
                    Proud member of: WWMHSBA

"Why don't you all just go submit some plots where you can get pregnant, give birth to you own alt as an annoying child character, have it grow up to be a drama queen, and then you can use IC/OOC crossover to hide the goods you stole and escape from the dungeon that you're locked in due to a badly run rape plot?!" - Age

Comment

1. I was styling someone's hair and my comb and brush got stuck to their hair. My hair was a mess!

2. I was assisting a newly awakened.

3. I'm gradually loosing my sight. Yes, I have contacted the Healers

4. I thought it said 'feel free to join us', at that moment I was unfortunately feeling happy.

5. I assure you that I have been sleeping for only one bell, the event is still tomorrow

6. I needed to find myself

7. Someone was in dire need of Counseling.

8. I really couldn't escape work

9. We had new members inducted in.

10. I was thinking of the best way to redesign the Gallery and got lost in thoughts.

11. I was too lively to be seen about.

12. I saw a rat and literally froze. Ask <insert name> I was carried to my room.

13. It was either that or an Audience with Her Majesty

14. I have no excuse.

15. I got a letter saying it had been postponed. Apparently I was being pranked.

16. I was on my way and suddenly forgot where I was going to.

17. Blood was dripping from my body -somehow

18. The shimmering orb told me not to.

19. The Almoners store room was overflowing again.

20. There was an unruly LPA student.

21. The sound of the hammers made miss three tones from the bell

Honored Guest, servant to Her Lady Chorus' Household, Assistant Mistress of Entertainments, acting Lead Instructor & Apprentice Stylist

Comment

Hah, wow, well I actually was looking for...you know, real excuses that would be viable to use...but this is good too.

Comment

Valid ones: Pick your PCs vocation, blame it. Paperwork, doing something for X, etc. If the event is with or related to your vocation try a vague prior engagement, ill, tired, lost track of time. They're lame, but usually acceptable.

>_> And actually all the ones I listed above were real ones. Except 7 and 14 maybe. *LOL*
                          -Socrates

Comment

Originally posted by Eeva View Post
                            Valid ones: Pick your PCs vocation, blame it. Paperwork, doing something for X, etc. If the event is with or related to your vocation try a vague prior engagement, ill, tired, lost track of time. They're lame, but usually acceptable.
                            Which leads me back to my original suspicion that we're all suffering from undiagnosed Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. Or maybe lupus.

Comment

It's never Lupus!
                              -Socrates

Comment

Working...
                              X