Abigail and general Castle boredom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Abigail and general Castle boredom

Chances are you haven't noticed but Abigail has not been around lately. She is keeping to her room mainly for personal reasons. I have been playing TEC a bit and its a nice change of pace. There is no sitting around waiting for things to happen. I think Im tired of collecting dresses and joining guilds. Six guilds should be a bit much but I seemed to manage it in a matter of a month. Plots are growing dull, players really beleive they are their char in the welcome room. A new character can not get their foot in the door due to blatant snobbery. There are a few char who do not apply and I am sure if there are any responces to this post it will be a lot of whinning about 'well they should do this' or 'Im not like that'. Frankly I don't care, you people know who you are and you are dragging the castle down. Its not even fun to roleplay anymore. I think its really funny when I play an alt. Two simple words can tick off the entire court yard and thats just calling someone on something that doesnt even exist. So anyways, Im going to canada a bit for a retreat in the woods. Im ditching school and going to try and get back into my transendental ways, maybe write a bit and GET AWAY FROM THE PUTER. Maybe some of you should do the same, a tan might look nice on you.

thanks -geeky-
    pee for enjoyment not employment

Well, consider your time here a lesson in existentialism. Sitting around in the courtyard waiting for something to happen is not how the game is supposed to work. If we all did that, it would be an IC chat room in the courtyard.

Set a plan for your character, then execute it. Joining guilds might be a good thing, but think of your reasons for joining them. What are you going to do in those guilds? What are your ultimate goals?

Even if your character had a path and goals, sometimes those goals are not reachable. What then? Set a new path and new goals to accomplish.

-Steve

Comment

um stix...were you actually *reading* abi's post? Or was that just a kneejerk reaction to *any * post to raise your #? I mean anyone who can accumulate 920 posts since august has some issues of their own.

as for abigail's point, for those that dont' know us, I am Abi's friend in rl...she went to high school with my sister..helped me move to where i am typing from this hotel...obviously dramatic, yes..but trying to be malicous, i don't think so.

Since my first week I have bemoaned the OOC hierachy of Marrach..and after watching the changes...my favorite chars frown and turn away..forever gone from the game..leaving the same pile of oldbies wrapped in their private plots and games...and the newer player just delighting in the inanely great parser system..that has so much promise.

Telling Abi or I to get involved (and other fallen players who I can and will not speak for) is completely off the wall. Very few players showed the dedication that Abi showed, six guilds? and she has been around not long by my standerds..There was nothing in these guilds? No secret plots or underlying tentsions?

there are only two answers to that question unfortunatly:
      a. Nope
      b. yes, but she wasn't asked or involved because she wasn't part of this OOC gang.

start your own plot? bah. I read the posts with slight interest about the player who tried to create their own plot...that was interesting.
      to have players stating they refused to be in plots that were not sp supported. *eyeroll* Thats just great *voice dripping with sarcasm*

I can't wait to read the usual responses from the usual people, hopefully if even in disagreement a new voice will emerge..

I liove the game, I can't deny it, but I wish I could stage an OOC revolution...hmmm *eyes box of matches*

Jessica

Comment

I'm sure you all guessed I'd jump into this post, so I figured the sooner the better.

Here's my input:

For Stix to accomplish his mighty agenda of 920 posts since August of '01 required an average of 5 posts per day.

To clarify just how much this is, doing a search by user might help: it provides a listing some 19 pages long, of just the lists, of his posts, and this just under this known pseudonym.

I now return you to your regularly scheduled flamewar.

-Skout-
        "If his unpleasant wounding has in some way enlightened the rest of you to the grim finish under the glossy veneer of criminal life, and inspired you to change your ways, then his injuries carry with it an inherent nobility, and a supreme glory; we should all be so fortunate. You say poor Toby, I say poor us." --Gone in Sixty Seconds

No one ever leaves, all they do is sit on the forums and piss and moan about how bad everything is. --Aziel

Comment

I'm no where near the title of Oldbie...and I'm not a newbie either...

I've been around enough to know the boredom of waiting in the courtyard (Don't lie you've ALL been there) and that feeling of solitude when you're not really known OOCly (I try to make a name for myself amongst you guys, I really do ) so I think I understand what you mean Abi (Umm...I can call you Abi right?)...

You guys really scare me when I read all this all the negative comments on CM...We're here to have fun together and not at the expense of others (OOCly anyway).

...I'm an ignorant idiot, I know...
          Principle comes second to power.

Comment

Should I even bother saying something about people who fail to make their own opportunities? Or will it, as usualy, fall on deaf ears?

I'm not discounting people who have run into OOC difficulties in attempting to fulfill their in-game ambitions: Skout and his efforts to organize criminal activity in the castle, for instance, which we have been able to support as fully as he really deserves, for various reasons. That sort of frustration is perfectly valid.

But to blame your in-game boredom on a cabal of players who don't want to let others become involved, well, that's just a cop-out.

One, I know that, for the most part, the older players of the game understand that to keep the game lively they have to interact with newer players and include them in their activities. Don't blame them because you've chosen to play your character in such a way that their character's wouldn't have any interest in them

Two, I can't count the number of times I've sat in a public place in one known NPC body or another and been more or less ignored. Or maybe engaged in a little chit chat but not had anyone attempt to get me involved in what they are doing. I've even had stood there, hemming and hawing about having to do something, trying to get people interested in tagging along on some plot development, without catching a bite. And how many times have I commented to friends in game how strange it is that their characters seem constantly swamped with scrolls, while my own characters -- pretty much exclusively NPCs -- hardly recieve a one. I know many VPs have the same problem trying to get involved in things. Why doesn't anybody make an effort to get to know these characters? Ask them questions, invite them to a private party, whatever. If you can establish more than a passing aquaintanceship with an NPC, you'd be well on your way to getting involved in more castle-goings on.

Three, the people who do always seem to be in the middle of things don't sit around waiting for things to happen to them. They talk to people. They ask questions about things they want to know. They create relationships with other people: friends, lovers, rivals and most especially enemies. They create character flaws that open them up for interactions with others. They allow themselves to make mistakes, and to not get along with everyone, and to voice strong opinions that may not be popular, and to have secrets that they let slip out to the wrong person. It's not just about having to come up with an actual "plot" and it's not about sitting in a zillion guild meetings: it's about building drama into your life, finding other people who want to participate in that drama, and avoiding those people who would rather just hang around the courtyard and pick their noses.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: no one here is going to entertain you if you don't make some effort at it yourself. If that's what you want, go watch TV.

Comment

*glance at post*
              *snicker amusedly at Skout*
              *glance at Maya's IC demotion*
              *shrug*
              *wonder how it was all that happened*
              *realises: player plot*
              *shrug*
              *transmit inaudibly to Abigail: to each their own*
              *nod* "I'll miss ya Abi, for whatever it's worth."
              *glances at my amount of posts*
              *shiver*
              *shrug*
              *shrug*

Anyone for a cookie?

EDIT: *upon inspecting SPDeri's post, applauds*
              *glances annoyedly at computer lab people watching me applaud*
              *realises: paper due, midterm. Ugh.*

Mike!
              <-> V. Mayakovsky <->
              Member of Her Majesty's Court
              Favoured Student, College of Art of the Royal Collegium

" You ask how many friends I have? Water and stone, bamboo and pine.
              The moon rising over the eastern hill is a joyful comrade.
              Besides these five companions, what other pleasure should I ask?"

- Yun Son-Do (1587 - 1671)

Comment

I'd really like this supposed OOC gang sometime. I've been here for ten months and a few days, and have yet to see a trace of it.

I can only add my voice to the chorus that says 'if you're bored, then do something about it' -- it's not like I get bored IRL when I'm not playing Marrach. I'm definitely not sitting about the backyard and watching the elderly shuffle by as they take their trash out. Of course, if you don't like the game as you see it, it's probably better for you to be playing TEC, assuming TEC is more along the lines of what you want...

Killing stuff... whatever floats your boat, I guess, but I'd rather do some role-playing.

Have a nice day.
                'If you're going through hell, keep going.'
                -- Winston Churchill

POLITENESS, n.
                The most acceptable hypocrisy.
                -- Ambrose Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary

'Hitler had a good 20 to 30 IQ points on Bush, so comparing Bush to Hitler would in many ways be an insult to Hitler.'

Comment

So your bored.....

Your local Trainee SP's are here to help believe it or not.

Let me explain something about us. There are two of us currently, two more coming online, and well... we are actually here to ASSIST in running plots.

Yes that means... we will be doing some of the small to medium plots around the castle. Heck.. I just got my first assignment the other day. Needs a bit of fleshing out, but I am ready to start cooking here players!

Now before you think I, or the other Trainees, are here just to enterain the bored masses, think again. We are here to run plots.

You think you have a new and fresh idea? Does it entail just you, your circle of influence, or your social gatherings/guilds? Or could it be a larger thing like well... Squires Challenge?

First and foremost, the reason we were asked to join the crew is because we submitted plot ideas, or we were good at sharing stories or maybe we just seemed to be extremely helpful in coordinatings ICly.

Whatever the reason is we were chosen, we have been, and are now here for you to talk to. You want to send in ideas?

Please Do!

Since our introduction, I have yet to hear from any player out there. No this does not mean I want unneeded spam mail either. HOWEVER, if you have plot ideas that you would like to see happen, or have a part in creating, then please do so!

But also please understand, we are in training. We are learning the ropes given us and eventually, this new program will benefit everyone.

So... who will be the first to send me an idea/plot? I already have about 10 different things I myself have cooked up and waiting for the ok to do.

So the dare is out there folks. Make me feel useful. I am sure that Phoebe will agree with me on this. We are here for YOU to contact!

And just incase you missed our introduction, you may contact me via the following ways:
                  • Email : reveur@nc.rr.com
                  • In Game Scroll - we have a courier in our office.
                  • Skotos Private message - just click the pm button below.
                  Reveur - The Day Dreaming Builder
                  "Everything starts as somebody's daydream." - Larry Niven
                  "The best way to travel is by means of imagination." - Unknown

Kalle quotes StoryBuilder Reveur casually, "Oh, right, I slayed them, no wonder they're not hungry. - Guests smile nervously at Rev."

Comment

*bah*
                    point missed
                    as usual
                    Its amazing that the country club set can't reconize us down in the trailer park waving at them.
                    I am sure that the crumbs they throw to us must seem adequate, would to me if I was on the other side.

as I said, this gameis great, the parser system and idea behind it is great. I just think that the way and manner it has been handled OOC is lousy, slanted, and inane.
                    I will hold out with the hope that it will change, that it must change.
                    I will not go watch television, that would make the powers that be very very very happy. If I went the way of Faruq, and Abi, and Skout...This place belongs to me as well, no matter where I may fall in the *gods* good graces...And for every cynical, honest post I post..I imagine you will get a juzzah or something from one or another poster with something like 900 kiss ass post...

I am sorry if I sound a little bitter, but I am. Every concern I have ever had has been dealt with poorly...period...

so there

*britta curtseys begrudgingly, lifts her chin in the air, and slinks from the room irritably*

Comment

Originally posted by StaciD

Two, I can't count the number of times I've sat in a public place in one known NPC body or another and been more or less ignored. Or maybe engaged in a little chit chat but not had anyone attempt to get me involved in what they are doing. I've even had stood there, hemming and hawing about having to do something, trying to get people interested in tagging along on some plot development, without catching a bite.
                      It sounds as though you are doing exactly the same thing that you are complaining about other people doing then, ie. being passive.

And how many times have I commented to friends in game how strange it is that their characters seem constantly swamped with scrolls, while my own characters -- pretty much exclusively NPCs -- hardly recieve a one.

Well, why are you playing "who got the most mail?" OOCly with your friends? NPCs aren't supposed to be there to be popular. And in fact, a lot of people would have no idea who the NPCs are, and whether they are supposed to go out of their way to give them special treatment. Perhaps you should sit down and think about why it is that nervous players don't send scrolls to your NPC and what you can do to spread yourself around a bit more. Or hand the NPC off to someone with more time, or who is in another timezone, who will be able to do something with it.

I know many VPs have the same problem trying to get involved in things. Why doesn't anybody make an effort to get to know these characters? Ask them questions, invite them to a private party, whatever. If you can establish more than a passing aquaintanceship with an NPC, you'd be well on your way to getting involved in more castle-goings on.
                      Do you not see that the same questions apply in reverse also? Also, players really don't mostly know who is an NPC or VP and who isn't. If they're nervous, or can;'t find reasons to approach you, then go thou and make things happen. It's much easier to do when you are in an IC position of authority.

Comment

*gasps*
                        incognito...you are my new hero...send me a pm we will go to a taffy pull or something..
                        *bats her eyelashes*

and as for dariel's comment about TEC and its RPing..let me tell you, they mock cm's rping..and after seeing them in action...i can't help but agree. Sitting in the courtroom IS rarely anything but a glorified chatroom...but an even worse chatroom as outsiders are excluded and ignored. OOC abounds with little reprisel..go to tec and talkooc...i dare you
                        i DOUBLE DOG dare you...you will probably be murdered, at the least you will be spoken too from the gms..
                        the rping there is a religion..and as many hours as I have spent in both games I think I can attest to that.

Jessica

Comment

I neither have a problem with OOC and don't think it reflects on quality of roleplaying, nor does either sitting around the courtyard, portraying my character or being involved in some kind of action while portraying my character denote roleplaying or the lack thereof.

I just know that killing stuff in itself definitely has nothing to do with roleplaying, but rather with wargaming. Some of the best pen and paper games I've played in never or only seldomly had combat in it. In most of the best LARPs I've played, combat never occured... and that's after some 13 years of playing assorted stuff.

Actually, some of the best games I've played were somewhat akin to sitting around the courtyard and just spinning an enchanting scene with the other players.

I honestly have no idea how you can mock that, but I'll be happy to hear it from you.

Now, as for murdering someone because of an OOC comment... that would be IC/OOC crossover, wouldn't it?

Have a nice day.
                          'If you're going through hell, keep going.'
                          -- Winston Churchill

POLITENESS, n.
                          The most acceptable hypocrisy.
                          -- Ambrose Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary

'Hitler had a good 20 to 30 IQ points on Bush, so comparing Bush to Hitler would in many ways be an insult to Hitler.'

Comment

Just a few things I know have been said before, and this could apply to more than one current thread....

What is everybody's purpose for playing this game? Am I the only that cares more about just plain RPing then moving up in rank? Sure, I think it'd be fun to have people ask me for leave, and Ady'd love the better clothes, but as an HG with IB access, I actually have more fun playing with my OB friends. We've got tons of new players who are great RPers! Anybody else out there feel that way?

There are plots everywhere, both by SPs and players. From my experience and what I've heard from other players, they aren't that hard to get involved in if you just show you are interested IC. It does seem to me that after almost 10 months of playing, a lot of the same plots are done over and over again (mostly player plots). But... *shrugs*... that's when you break out a totally opposite alt for a few days!

Just a bit of my ramblings!

Krysti

Comment

A suggestion.

Stockholders have the opportunity to cast a vote of confidence or no confidence in a C.E.O. of a company. You see, a C.E.O. is responsible for the quality of a stock through his management skills and to whom he delegates power to.

Similarly, a Lead SP is responsible for the quality of the Skotos product Castle Marrach by his or her management abilities, and to whom he or she delegates power to.

As some of you may have noticed, Skotos asks for you to vote, every few months, about what your favorite game is. Why not have a similar vote, every few months (4? 6?), of confidence or no confidence for whatever SP may be Lead at that time?

Thoughts?

Would this give you more confidence in the game?

Comment

Working...
                              X