X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• StoryPlotter Guide: Wounds and Role Playing

Hello Players of Castle Marrach!

I was hoping to avoid a thread of this nature because typically we like to leave these things player hands, because we like to think we can trust the player base to Role Play FAIRLY and accurately. While I typically agree and see a lot of people who are capable of this, there seems to be a fair number who are NOT and seemingly refuse to follow suggested measures (even when they've been warned before).

There are several degrees of wounds if you take it all into account; bruising and bleeding wounds.

5+ levels of bruising wound (before it becomes "horrible").
    4 levels of bleeding wound.

I'll start off by saying I have no clue how these wounds layer to create a dead person.**

**: Wait for it.

--- 5 minutes after typing the above ---

> A solid hit! Your chest has been slightly wounded!
    OOC: For tracking purposes, a message is being sent to one of the private Staff chatlines to alert them that you have used this command.
    23:49 [Plotters|Odjit] "*** StoryPlotter Odjit has used @woundme with the following information: Thu Apr 28 23:49:52 2011 1 chest test"
    > A solid hit! Your chest has been seriously wounded!
    OOC: For tracking purposes, a message is being sent to one of the private Staff chatlines to alert them that you have used this command.
    23:50 [Plotters|Odjit] "*** StoryPlotter Odjit has used @woundme with the following information: Thu Apr 28 23:50:00 2011 1 chest test"
    > A solid hit! Your chest has been gravely wounded!

[WARNING: You are now gravely wounded, and should seek the services of a trained Healer immediately. YOU WILL DIE IF YOU SUSTAIN ONE MORE WOUND. If you die your character will spend at least eight hours dead, isolated in the Necromancer's Lab (or elsewhere, depending on where you died). All of your personal belongs will remain on your corpse, which can be looted.]
    23:50 [Plotters|Odjit] "*** StoryPlotter Odjit has used @woundme with the following information: Thu Apr 28 23:50:04 2011 1 chest test"
    > A gravely wounded chest.
    > A horrible bruise on the head.
    > A solid hit! Your chest has been fatally wounded!
    Your mind is overwhelmed by a final, vast and blinding pain. You barely remember your body sinking to the floor ...
    23:50 [Plotters|Odjit] "*** StoryPlotter Odjit (Deceased) has used @woundme with the following information: Thu Apr 28 23:50:20 2011 1 chest FOR SCIENCE AND THE MASSES!"

-- 5 more minutes later --

23:55 [Plotters|Odjit] "*** StoryPlotter Odjit (Deceased) has used @woundme with the following information: Thu Apr 28 23:55:27 2011 1 chest FOR GOD AND COUNTRY!"

--- 7 minutes later --

00:02 [Plotters|Odjit] "*** StoryPlotter Odjit (Deceased) has used @woundme with the following information: Fri Apr 29 00:02:42 2011 1 chest testing" (I definitely was NOT expecting death on this one, but there you go.)

--- 6 minutes later ---

00:08 [Plotters|Odjit] "*** StoryPlotter Odjit (Deceased) has used @woundme with the following information: Fri Apr 29 00:08:12 2011 1 chest *suspicious pink panther theme*"

--- 9 minutes later ---

00:17 [Plotters|Odjit] "*** StoryPlotter Odjit (Deceased) has used @woundme with the following information: Fri Apr 29 00:17:13 2011 1 chest I saaaaaaid... KALI MA!"

--- And 7 minutes after... ---

00:24 [Plotters|Odjit] "*** StoryPlotter Odjit (Deceased) has used @woundme with the following information: Fri Apr 29 00:24:02 2011 1 chest And all he says was She's dead, Jim. I was hoping for Bones to at least show up or maybe Karl Urban."

--- The End ---

6 deaths, 1 Fumble, 1 Toad, 1 Feint, 1 Weaponsmithing, 1 Dodge, 1 Tattooing, 1 Cut, 1 Tailoring, 1 Advance, 1 Healing, 1 Attacking and 1 Jeweling lesson later;

(You cut, thrust, guard, language losing people should feel -very- lucky considering what it COULD hit.)
    StoryPlotter Odjit
    Odjit's observations are - as they pretty much always are - spot on. - Geist
    [4:36:43 PM] Kurzon: You're horrid
    odjit@marrach.skotos.net

I'll start off by saying that the following is how bleeding and bruising wounds are layered;

4 bleeding = death
    5 bruises + 4 bleeding = death
    10 bruises + 3 bleeding = death
    15 bruises + 3 bleeding = death
    20 bruises + 2 bleeding = death
    25 bruises + 2 bleeding = death
    30 bruises + 1 bleeding = death

Upon your 30th bruise you are issued the following (the same as with your 3rd bleeding wound);

[WARNING: You are now gravely wounded, and should seek the services of a trained Healer immediately. YOU WILL DIE IF YOU SUSTAIN ONE MORE WOUND. If you die, everything you are carrying at the moment of death will remain on your corpse, which can be looted. Note that if you die in a location that Lith does not service you may not be revived promptly.]

Upon your 40th bruise you are given this emit:

You feel exceptionally weak and realise that you could die at any moment. It would be a good idea to find a nurse immediately.

Past 40 (I went to 100), you get this message and it does not kill you. This beautifully illustrates that while the game code is kind enough not to kill you through bruises? You ARE indeed about to die and should RP accordingly.

Now, to get to the meat and potatoes of this subject, since I just delt out the canned corn with specifics...

If we include bruising and bleeding wounds and in order to make our wounds in general more flexible, I will count them both as "wounds". They are, according to our system.

Just because you can @wound on something, doesn't mean you should/have to. I heard a player say once that "If staff doesn't want us to do X, they shouldn't let us be able to do X."

I say to you player and players of that mind set; in a text based game, with limitations on code limitations, that has an actual age requirement? I expect everyone to act like adults and use their brain to tell stories within -reasonable- limits given by staff. Not do things because you can, even though logically, you would not be able. You could jump off a bridge, but you probably won't, and if you do? I doubt you are going to say "If they didn't want someone jumping off the bridge they shouldn't have built it with open sides!".

I digress.

Looking at the above chart, we have quite a few possibilities for injury Role Play.

Now, I want you to stop for a moment and consider this. Say you play a Tailor or Tattooist or Jeweler. You WANT people to order things from you, so you can ROLE PLAY this type of character. You want someone to go "Oh, sera Stitcher, please make me a beauteous gown so that I may present it to my Lady." or "Good ser Needler-Not-Noel, please ink me my fantabulous coat of arms on my chest so my Lady can admire it in our boudoire.", etc. You don't want them to get your characters hard work, then trash it in the chute or smudge it up and act like it's crap IC and more importantly OOC. Typically, I stress IC-IC-IC-IC!, but this issue has stretched from IC to OOC as it is a PLAYER issue, that bleeds into a CHARACTER issue.

A Healer plays a Healer so that they can Heal and handle Injuries and Wounds within the Game Environment.

Consider a wound like a plain garment. A Healer gets this wound with a basic set of instructions for the order.

Left arm, slight bleeding wound, caused by venomous acidic spit.

They have their color, fabric and fit. They then go through the trouble of ROLE PLAYING healing this pre-designed wound and typically, they will tell the Characters (and indirectly the Players) how this wound is. "Oh, it's not so bad, a few stitches." or "Oh, you'll be lucky to keep your eye." and so on. This is a COURTESY and a good show of ROLE PLAY notifying YOU about the wound your character got through their Role Play.

The players of Healers have even gone so far as to OOCly ask "Do you want your character to lose an eye/limb/etc?" and then they ROLE PLAY accordingly with what you say. "Don't care!", "Whatever you think best!", "No, I'd like to keep it!", and so on. A remarkable show of cooperative RP.

Unfortunately, some players then take anything that is said by the Healer ICly, utterly ignore it IC and OOC, and have their character do the exact opposite.

Why? I've not a clue. It has been posted before, broadcasted before, paged before, and so on.

So, what I am going to do is give a rough set of guidelines and give full encouragement for HEALERS to decide the severity of the issue. If it comes to it, I will encourage the players of Healers to -assist- every single time someone acts like an idiot IC about their wounds, clearly ignoring it OOCly. I'll call it "implied consent". By participating in events that get you wounded? You consent to the consequences of your characters actions therein. That stretches from "Am I poisoned?", "Will my Noble get pissed if I fought in their livery?", "Did that Healer just say I will lose my eye?!" IC, and so on.

Faint Bruise to Bruise: I fell down the stairs and sprained my wrist. I got smacked in the face with a door. I slipped skating. I got smacked in the face with a fist. I got hit in the head with a pommel. I met Victor.

Bruise to Horrible Bruise: I cracked my rib. I broke my arm. I broke my nose. I slipped down the stairs, sprained my wrist and got my head stuck in the iron gate for 5 hours, I got hit in the head with a pommel repeatedly. I met Victor. I got "I met Victor and lived" tattooed across my chest in big block letters with a heart and the word "MUM" under it.

The more horrible bruises you get, the more you can bust, break, bend, sprain and crack.

Slight Bleeding: I slipped down the stairs, broke several bones and landed on a spike in my lower back. I got in a bar brawl and got knifed in the shoulder with a broken mug. I was playing a cute game with my dagger and basically sliced my finger in half because I wasn't fast enough. I got cut in the face in an actual duel where someone wasn't pulling their punches and now my ear is kinda wobbly.

Serious Bleeding: I was innocently reading potatoe poetry laced with hippo references when Sir Bragi stabbed me in the gut with a dagger and hit a semi-vital organ. I've been cut in the face and I think I might lose my eye. Arrgh. I got cut in the lip and I might look like a fish after it heals. I got stabbed in the thigh and it just so missed the major artery, but I'll need crutches for awhile, and maybe some extra "therapy" with a hot nurse after. I decided to go Amazon and cut my right breast off to better handle a bow.

Grave Bleeding: I fell right on someones sword and I swear it went out my back. I insulted Caletus and he almost made me explode, but not quite. I insulted Quilp and he nearly (or did) take my leg off at the knee with a jagged weapon. I fell down the stairs and broke ALL my ribs, and damn near or did puncture my lung wth one. I've fallen and I can't get up.

Now, obviously, in many cases people will get several slights as opposed to a solid grave.

So, I beg to question this;

If you cracked your rib, broke your arm, AND got hit in the head with a pommel; would you still be doing your job?

No. Not likely. A few hardcores will go 'YES I WOULD', but having had just minor leg surgery before and being fairly hardy on the pain tolerance? You'd be doing JACK ALL.

You'd be laid up in a bed, with some books, hopefully some other form of entertainment and depending on the type of injuries, you'd be seeing doctors and nurses more regularly than anyone else.

So, please, consider that the common cold or flu will knock people on their asses, if you've had the hell beaten out of you, you're not going to be dancing jigs, participating in normal Castle life and so forth.

THANK YOU AND GOOD NIGHT.

(You have no idea how much of a pain in my ass this was to type up here, so you better abide by it or there will be blood.)
    StoryPlotter Odjit
    odjit@marrach.skotos.net

Comment

You're adorable when you're blood-thirsty.

Comment

Love you!

Comment

I love you!

I mean... will you marry me?
          OOC -- Mica says, "Zyta McGyver'd it."

Comment

SILENCE, NURSE ZYTA!!!

Odjit will marry me, not you, for her post, and we will have hot sock-monkey-TS happily ever after.

Seriously, Odjit, great post. Also, let me say that I am glad to see explicit staff statements on this.
            Who’s got the sweetest disposition, One guess, that’s who, Who’d never, ever start an argument, Who never shows a bit of temperament, Who’s never wrong but always right, Who’d never dream of starting a fight, Who gets stuck with all the bad luck, No-one but Apprentice Sev!

Comment

Odjit... you crack me up, woman.

In reference for the recent war, while everyone was injured, they really did a great job RPing -being- wounded. There was some great scenes and while it was crazy chaotic, I think we all had alot of fun. And everyone was patient, everyone RPed, and everyone -waited- to be RPed with while waiting for a healer to get to them. So, in that regard, good job.

Now... as someone who had surgery on their literally not even six months ago and STILL can't walk without crutches, I would like you to consider Odjit's post and take it into deep consideration.

Yes, it sucks being laid up in bed. I understand that does not make for interesting RP. Things like eye injuries you can still walk around with. A broken arm, you can walk around with. But we have fun things for when you can't walk around--wheel chairs (but you need someone to push you), crutches, canes, staffs, stretchers, etc. I've had 8 surgeries, 3 all within the last year and let me tell you, it takes you down. And, what about limps? What happened to you to get the wound? So what will happen after? I know Cedrick is blind in one eye now. Keyana still can't bow and is hobbling around.

Not to say that all wounds lead to this extreme, but just sit back and ask yourself, does mine? It just seems that now the hack-and-slash is done, some people are going back to the same-ol-same-ol. But when you get wounded, and scarred, and you have surgery, I would say serious and beyond (which would include 2 slights or the bruising + slight, anything adding up to you being half-dead as opposed to 3/4 dead etc.) would somewhat mar you and disable you in that limb. Especially if you didn't get it treated properly or right away due to whatever circumstance.

I will go back to drinking coffee and maybe I'll make more sense later...

<3
              SOCKMONKEYS

Comment

But what about death?

What is the common consensus about role-playing that? All of your wounds, scars and broken bones are wiped clean. You get a fresh body and a smile on your face.

Besides losing some skill levels (which really sucked moose-balls for Dio), what should the RP expectations be? Loss of memory? Psychotic bouts of mead binging?

Dio died back to back days and I am unsure what to do about that. My first death I RP'd loss of long term memory, should I now lose short term as well?
                Dionar Elswyth

Courtier of the Winter Court

Comment

Yeah, wounds, even slight ones can be fun to roleplay, as long as you don't overdo it. For example, Umi got a slight one on her thigh after the Zilvaste fight. She was not complaining vocally about it. Normally, she just grits her teeth and endure the wound. She's a tough girl, an ex-Captain of the Guard, she learned to ignore the pain of less severe wounds over the year and to continue. Also, the adrenaline rush kinda helped.

I did however give her a limp until it was healed, because I figure since she was doing a lot of standing around and patrolling at that time and the wound was located on her leg. The stress of it all would make the wound uncomfortable, and she needed to rest her leg whenever she had the occasion. Because a slight wound may not be as It was not much, but it was still within the boundaries of acceptable RP.

A slight wound is still going to hurt, but you don't have to wail about it like a drama queen (unless your character is a drama queen, that it). A slight wound alone is not going to keep you in bed, but considering it does represent 1/4 of your life bar, it is still going to affect your character a little, no matter how big or tough they are.

As for death, staff has said it is up to the player to roleplay it as they wish. Some people only lose a few hours worth of memory to explain the loss of skills, others come back as normal as they were before. Some will lose ALL their memories since their previous awakening. Some will wke up the same as they were, others may have a change of personality.
                  Proud member of: WWMHSBA

"Why don't you all just go submit some plots where you can get pregnant, give birth to you own alt as an annoying child character, have it grow up to be a drama queen, and then you can use IC/OOC crossover to hide the goods you stole and escape from the dungeon that you're locked in due to a badly run rape plot?!" - Age

Comment

As a Plotter I find that memory loss is a very interesting thing to RP, but has a fine line between unbelievable and tedious (to me).

Ultimately, it IS the PCs choice with how they wish to handle their death. I mostly just request that they at least seem slightly disoriented for a day or so at least.

I've included some examples on how I've seen various characters handle death.

1. Temporary disorientation; Clearing within a day or two.
                    2. Long Term disorientation; Lasting a week to a month or two.
                    3. Permanent Personality Change; A complete change of traits forever.
                    4. Temporary Personality Change; A fleeting change of traits for a moon+.
                    5. False Memory Loss; Pretending to lose memory, cultivating another persona.
                    6. Partial Memory Loss; Select memories being gone, temporarily or permanently.

I am sure there a bunch more you could do or any combination thereof. That's just some ideas though!
                    StoryPlotter Odjit
                    odjit@marrach.skotos.net

Comment

I am reposting this as I have heard there are some who are not quite sure what to do in the event of bad wounds.
                      StoryPlotter Odjit
                      odjit@marrach.skotos.net

Comment

Again, also to stress this:

PAIN HURTS!!!

If your character is more than slightly wounded (and maybe not even then) he is NOT spurting around unhindred and acting like it is no big deal. If he did, he would be a demented imbecile (as Severin would not hesitate to point out).

Something that happens particularly often is people not acting as if their character's slight wounds are anything to take into account. It typically works like this:

First slight wound is treated like a papercut.

Second slight wound is treated like another papercut.

Third slight wound: "Awww, now I can't fight anymore, I might die."

The other version is treating three slight wounds like they are nothing. I have seen both tons of times and it is really bad.

Grrrr!
                        Who’s got the sweetest disposition, One guess, that’s who, Who’d never, ever start an argument, Who never shows a bit of temperament, Who’s never wrong but always right, Who’d never dream of starting a fight, Who gets stuck with all the bad luck, No-one but Apprentice Sev!

Comment

Just for clarifaction:

Don't act like this if you get a serious wound.

(=

Comment

Originally posted by Dionar View Post
                            But what about death?

What is the common consensus about role-playing that? All of your wounds, scars and broken bones are wiped clean. You get a fresh body and a smile on your face.

Besides losing some skill levels (which really sucked moose-balls for Dio), what should the RP expectations be? Loss of memory? Psychotic bouts of mead binging?

Dio died back to back days and I am unsure what to do about that. My first death I RP'd loss of long term memory, should I now lose short term as well?
                            Death is difficult, and we are for hopefully obvious reasons loathe to code in role-playing penalties, which leaves it entirely in the player's control.

Death is a mentally traumatic event. There should be consequences. How traumatic I think depends on how traumatic the death was. Long and drawn out, or as part of a emotionally draining and exhaustive scene... very traumatic. A quick bump in the stairway and a plunge down the tower stairs, or a quick dagger blade between the ribs... a quick death that is less traumatic... but never casual or without consequence.

Death should produce memory loss. Think of it as a compensatory act on the part of the psyche: by purging memory of the event it helps protect the self from remembering the moment of death... and those moments immediately thereafter. I always thought that the mind would purge the sequence of events that directly led up to the death, and maybe just a little bit more. Think of the emotional continuum that immediately led to the death, and those are the circumstances that get blocked.

Can some of those lost memories be recovered... sure... but the trauma comes back with them.

As for long-term consequences, I think there should be those as well. A body that gets repeatedly pummeled and beaten never returns to full heath, even with expert medical care... I can only imagine the psyche would be even more fragile. What should those consequences be? I would think that would completely depend on the character, but would be somehow be linked to personality characteristics that individual already had, which would become either exaggerated or repressed. And with each successive death, things would get worse and worse...

StoryPlotter Geist
                            geist@marrach.skotos.net

Comment

When Rikka got her memory wipe and death, I played for the long term effects. I've played her that she has short term memory loss and now she has to write down a lot of what she does else she'll just plum forget it. Though, not all want to be as extreme as her.

( っ '๐')づ# I was going to give you this waffle
                              #さ('๐' さ ) But then i was like...
                              (>'#'<) I'm hungry.
                              (。◕‿◕。) So i ate it.
                              (。◡‿◡。)

Comment

Working...
                              X