No announcement yet.

How to Handle Your Alternative Characters

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When I said 'permission', I meant to formalize the process into an active practice done with anyone who has 5 or more assists or notes about frequenting their alts location, etc.

All this being said, the 2 rules posted are simple and aren't being rescinded.

However, I shall make an amendment to this part:

"If you have a healer alt, and your martial alt sees someone get stabbed, do NOT conveniently log on your character to go heal the stabbed person."

If you have Character A in Location Z and VP B walks in and clearly has an issue that YOU feel is more suited to Character B?

Don't magically have Character A suddenly feel the need to vamoose, so your Character B can attend the problem.

It was discussed in the thread by Gabs, I believe, but this is unfair to anyone else who might be able to handle the situation and as was noted, if no one is around (because your character B was ''busy'' AKA offline and others were too) then it changes the element of RP and leads to more, unexpected results.

This applies to all types of characters, rather than just Healers. In case it wasn't clear in the initial post.
    StoryGuide Samael

Comment

bumpity bumped
      ~StoryBuilder Thera~

Comment

Originally posted by Samael View Post
        In Marrach we permit all accounts to have a minimum of TWO characters. In some cases, people have more, either grandfathered from older accounts or purchased via storypoints. Our alternative character interaction rules are simple.

1. Do not share items between alts.

Your characters should never possess items given to them by your alternative character. This means, even if you are retiring, killing, deleting or otherwise ending a character, that your new character or other characters that are yours should never benefit from such. IE: Acquiring items, be it food, jewelry, clothing, etc.

2. Do not interact with your alternate characters.

They should not be in the same room if it can be helped. This includes public and private rooms. There are some extenuating circumstances such as Royal Court or Winter Ball which are considered special circumstances due to the magnitude of the event. However, day-to-day activities such as practices, guild meetings, general socializing, minor duels, impromptu parties, orgies, etc, do not fall into the 'special circumstances' category.

This also includes talking to, writing to, talking up or otherwise pushing your alternative characters with your other character(s).

Character A should not be expressing about how awesome Character B was at their job and how crappy Character C of another Player is.
        Character B should not be talking about Character A's accomplishments, waking status, dating status, sleeping status etc.

In the most extreme cases, writing to your alternative character is fine IF and only IF there is absolutely no other route to go. In addition, if a character ASKS Character A about Character B, they can give a neutral answer or direct them elsewhere. If you have a healer alt, and your martial alt sees someone get stabbed, do NOT conveniently log on your character to go heal the stabbed person. If one character asks another about your alt in front of your alt, don't randomly have them appear etc.

Thank you.

StoryGuide Samael
        To add to this:

Do not share information with Alts. And the Who list is OOC, not IC.

Cheers.
        ~StoryBuilder Thera~

Comment

randomly shuffled upward
          ~StoryBuilder Thera~

Comment

Because this needs a bump.
            ~StoryBuilder Thera~

Comment

I dont play a second character, but I had a question:

Big fight breaks out. A person does have a healer on Already, with a healer bell or something. So the big fight happens, and your main character gets caught up in it somehow, but then everyone that got hurt, (we'll say 4 people for the sake of setting), and they all get dragged to the healer bell.

The person that plays the healer does the healing for three people. Then they have to choose between

a.) Not having alt interaction, and telling everyone ooc why they wont heal that last person, thereby breaking immersion of story and being forced to reveal an alt, in an effort to preserve alt interaction restrictions, or

b.) Healing the the 4th person just as they would any other person and letting everyone still keep everything 100% in character without any eyebrows raising in tuttut fashion.

Mannny years ago, i knew of some peoples alts, and if there was an open bell, they were allowed to attend with alts for the same training everyone else received too, as long as they didnt interact with each other in conversation that much. No cheating occurred either because everyone got equal treatment at the bell.(or such was the reasoning often enough) Just get the lesson, rp with others, then go and the immersion stayed intact. I know with regime changes rules do too, but I'm curious how things play out now.

Thanks

Comment

I'll redirect you to the original post:

2. Do not interact with your alternate characters.

They should not be in the same room if it can be helped. This includes public and private rooms. There are some extenuating circumstances such as Royal Court or Winter Ball which are considered special circumstances due to the magnitude of the event. However, day-to-day activities such as practices, guild meetings, general socializing, minor duels, impromptu parties, orgies, etc, do not fall into the 'special circumstances' category.

This also includes talking to, writing to, talking up or otherwise pushing your alternative characters with your other character(s).

Character A should not be expressing about how awesome Character B was at their job and how crappy Character C of another Player is.
                Character B should not be talking about Character A's accomplishments, waking status, dating status, sleeping status etc.

In the most extreme cases, writing to your alternative character is fine IF and only IF there is absolutely no other route to go. In addition, if a character ASKS Character A about Character B, they can give a neutral answer or direct them elsewhere. If you have a healer alt, and your martial alt sees someone get stabbed, do NOT conveniently log on your character to go heal the stabbed person. If one character asks another about your alt in front of your alt, don't randomly have them appear etc.
                ~StoryBuilder Thera~

Comment

Yeppers I saw the reply, And i saw the original post. My post was inquiring about those unplanned incidents, that will and have often happened. What's preferred, breaking character and informing ooc, or just covering with RP, then assisting about what happened?

Another example, (from ico but hypothetically could happen here) Crafter makes a sword. Sells sword in tents, doesn't know who too. Then that person makes a gift of it to an alt of the sword creator. No knowledge about where the sword was going is known before hand. (and sometimes after hand). there, you just assist that it happened, they put it in the character file, so if some weenie cries item sharing for alts, they'll have it on file to dismiss he complaint as accidental, and will not retcon the gift RP, in most cases. If its pretty obvious it was planned out in some way, then that would be dealt with.

I'm not trying to poke holes or aggravate, but I really am curious. Skotos is a small family like community, circles and accidents are bound to happen and often without knowledge. Its the reason i don't play an active alt, because i know somewhere along the way something will happen I had no idea was going on, and would just rather avoid any ooc nonsense. And would rather not some other firestarter use it as ammo to attack someone they don't like oocly.

Comment

In answer to the above, if a fight breaks out there are many injuries etc. and one of your alts is injured and of your alts is a healer the injured alt would have to find another healer to heal them. It is the responsibility of players to find means to not have their alts interact with one another. Again it is not just toward healer alts and martial alts. If you have an alt that is a clothier/jeweler/carpenter/gardener/armorer you find another character to go through that is not your alt for orders etc. If your alt needs to be arrested you let another Winter Watch character handle that piece. Little to no groups just have one active character that can handle things, so avoiding the alt in this manner really should not be that difficult.

This is also not against anyone precisely, these are just random examples.
                    Samekh, SG
                    Samekh@marrach.skotos.net

Comment

This needs a revisit. Thanks.
                      StoryPlotter Odjit
                      Odjit's observations are - as they pretty much always are - spot on. - Geist
                      [4:36:43 PM] Kurzon: You're horrid
                      odjit@marrach.skotos.net

Comment

Working...
                      X