Announcement

Collapse

Downtimes: June 24 - July 2nd

We've got another batch of shutdowns coming in late June and early July, so that the machines can be repaired for the newest bug, the ZombieLoad CPU bug.

In general, the Genesis games (Grendel, TEC, TEC-Test) all have reboots scheduled for the absolute middle of the night, so I'll be taking each down the previous evening at midnight and bringing them back up the next morning at 9am.

The SkotOS games have always been more robust about reboots, so we'll let them reboot on their own, though there's some chance for an ~2 hour data loss. In any case, I'll be checking them after the 2-hour window when I can, though Marrach has a middle-of-the-night reboot, so that'll be the next morning.

The UserDB and Web reboots will cause some downtime for the entire site, but again they will hopefully come up cleanly.

GENESIS:

- Shutdown Grendel (late Sunday 6/23)

- Startup Grendel (early Monday 6/24)

- Shutdown TEC (late Monday 6/24)

- Startup TEC (early Tuesday 6/25)

- Check TEC Client (9pm Tuesday 6/25)

- Shutdown TEC-Test (late Thursday 6/27)

- Startup TEC-Test (Friday 6/28)

SKOTOS:

- Marrach (Monday early morning 6/24)

- Ironclaw (Monday 10pm-midnight 6/24)

- Lovecraft, Lazarus (Monday 8pm-10pm 7/2)

MAIN SITE:

- UserDB (Monday 10pm-midnight 6/24)

- Web (Sunday 9pm-11pm 6/30)
See more
See less

Announcing Duel 2.0

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FLAEIB View Post
    Kaori obviously I dont have the full details but from what I read it sounds like everyone starts out at base 100 fatigue. Once you put on let say a helmet.. it might drop you 1-5 points based on the type of armor. A full suit of light armor sounds like you lose around 10-15 points of fatigue.. medium around 20-30 and heavy 30-40... of course they said they can't give us the exact numbers just yet. But even thought your fatigue is lower.. maybe it means you can't go as LONG in a fight because you are wearing out from wearing armor, but when they HIT you with a weapon you will lose less fatigue than if you were wearing lighter or no armor.

So if a hit did 20 fatigue with some light armor maybe it does 16 and with medium around 12 and with heavy around 8.. so you may only have 60 fatigue each fight but you might only lose 8 per hit depending on the damage rolled. So at say 60 fatigue with heavy armor it takes 8 hits to take you out, but without armor it would only take 5. I don't know how much your own actions take away from your own fatigue, but this all is exciting to me!

Kurzon - let me know if I am on the right track?
    I'm quite confident armour doesn't protect you from successful fatigue hits. It only protects you from injury.

If I were to guess, fatigue penalties would be percent based, so you could never drop below your base fatigue. But you could start with less fatigue than your opponent.

The trade off there is that if you're wearing a full set of heavy armour, you opponent might be able to hit you easier, but they won't be able to wound you, and the fight only stops if they wound you.

So if yo find yourself fighting a fully armoured opponent, you're gonna want to make sure you have the right weapons. Or make sure that you are far superior to them in skill.
    Tyr Gunn
    Lieutenant of the Queen's Regular Army

Comment

Aw yisss

Comment

Not gonna lie...I love this!
        Merrynn Aduin
        Junior Equerry to Lady Amoret
        Courtier
        Doctor
        Lead Apprentice Carpenter

Comment

If you have zero fatigue/near zero fatigue, you would lose on the first attack of the duel, I believe.

So, you know, if you're a sorcerer under a magic aging curse, maybe don't don full plate and go fighting.
          [OOC Page] from Juliee: "I dreamed about Aratan last night. It was the most dull dream ever"

Comment

Alright I might decide to play again.

Comment

Originally posted by Euphelia View Post
              With the removal of @melee, is there a chance we could get a command that worked like @melee? I have seen people use it in non-melee situations, more a 'chance roll,' if you would -- tackling people, playing games, etc.
              There has been some discussion of a generalized @roll skill that allows you to roll a die of your choosing (1d6, 1d20, etc).

Originally posted by Kaori View Post
              Now what happens if someone puts on so much armor that it lowers them down to 0 max fatigue? Or what about negative max fatigue?
              If that were to occur, in theory, then the first time you were attacked and failed your defense roll you would be struck, as you'd have no fatigue to withstand the attack with. This shouldn't be possible though unless your base fatigue is well below the default amount mgeneric player bodies are given - in which case there's likely IC reasons why your character shouldn't be fighting to begin with.

I'll go ahead and answer the question on your mind; armour isn't meant for bound sorcerers.

Also what happens if someone tries to put on two pieces of armor that cover up the same thing (IE: two helmets).
              The armour script will detect that you're already wearing armour in that location and prevent you from putting another piece of armour over it.

Originally posted by FLAEIB View Post
              So if a hit did 20 fatigue with some light armor maybe it does 16 and with medium around 12 and with heavy around 8.. so you may only have 60 fatigue each fight but you might only lose 8 per hit depending on the damage rolled. So at say 60 fatigue with heavy armor it takes 8 hits to take you out, but without armor it would only take 5. I don't know how much your own actions take away from your own fatigue, but this all is exciting to me!

Kurzon - let me know if I am on the right track?
              Not quite.

It is important to differentiate hitroll, fatigue, damage and wound level.

Taken straight from the original dueling script, a hitroll occurs every time one player attacks another. The hit roll is a dice roll, modified by your skill level; so if you cut at me while I am in the guard stance, the hitroll rolls two dice, one for each of us, and then increases our rolls by the level of our affected skills (cut for you and guard for me).

If a hitroll is successful (your cut roll is higher than my guard roll) the duel script punishes me by lowering my current fatigue. It lowers my fatigue by an amount determined by the damage of your attack (damage depends on attack type, cuts do more than thrusts for example). Damage is in no way related to the wound level I am given when struck (slight/serious/grave), it only determines how much fatigue I lose if I fail my hitroll. If at any point my fatigue reaches zero when you attack me, I have no strength left with which to withstand your attack, and you hit me.

It is at this point that the armour script comes into play. When your fatigue reaches zero and you fail to avoid an attack, your armour comes into play and absorbs that strike instead of you being wounded. If the armour withstands the blow without breaking, the duel does not end - this allows you to continue fighting your opponent from his current fatigue pool, instead of the duel ending and both of you going back to 100% fatigue. The fight continues until one of the two of you successfully hit and wound the other.

In short, wearing armour increases the chance that you'll be struck, because you tire faster, but it permits that getting struck might not end the fight for you.
              StoryHost Kurzon
              Castle Marrach Staff

kurzon.marrach@outlook.com

The destiny of the world is determined less by the battles that are lost and won than by the stories it loves and believes in.

Comment

Originally posted by Darvius View Post
                Alright I might decide to play again.
                Yeeeeeees!

Comment

Originally posted by Aratan View Post
                  So, you know, if you're a sorcerer under a magic aging curse, maybe don't don full plate and go fighting.
                  Gawd. Thanks for ruining my dream Mother Gothel.

Comment

So how does this affect mgen combat? Or does it affect mgen combat?
                    [OOC Page] from Juliee: "I dreamed about Aratan last night. It was the most dull dream ever"

Comment

Originally posted by Esda View Post
                      Gawd. Thanks for ruining my dream Mother Gothel.
                      I was just thinking one of us could acquire full plate mail and the train in defense so it's as close to grand master as we can get it. So what if my fatigue is as low as it can go in game... sure any attack that I don't block hits and would be a wound but the armor just keeps us alive. What can't we try to twink the system? heh
                      ~ Initiate Kaori Zaihou ~
                      OOC: Signature last changed on 3/24/2018

Comment

Originally posted by Aratan View Post
                        So how does this affect mgen combat? Or does it affect mgen combat?
                        No affect on MCombat at this time, they're two entirely separate scripts which just happen to run off the same skills. Right now I'm contemplating a revision of MCombat vs recoding MCombat creatures to simply use Duel 2.0 from now on. In either case, it's not towards the top of my "coding to-do" list right now, we have some other projects that are more pressing.

I was just thinking one of us could acquire full plate mail and the train in defense so it's as close to grand master as we can get it. So what if my fatigue is as low as it can go in game... sure any attack that I don't block hits and would be a wound but the armor just keeps us alive. What can't we try to twink the system? heh
                        To be fair, that's a perfectly legit strategy. The argument could be made that since a sorcerer's fatigue is so low anyway, that losing more fatigue is pointless at this rate - more often than not one or two good swings is enough to drop a sorcerer anyway, so a sorcerer in full plate would likely take more hits than one without.

However when ranged combat for archery and sorcery is released, there will be significant disadvantages to trying that method.

I also should dispell the illusion that just because an armour script exists now that everyone will be wandering in the castle suited up like teutonic crusader. When the MGen smithing code is released, armour orders will likely only be filled for those of rank, this will be particularly true for heavier armour. Armour outside of the Court will have to be obtained through external sources; Ali, special plots, rewards for tournaments or having it granted to you by nobility (start kissing up to your noble now).
                        StoryHost Kurzon
                        Castle Marrach Staff

The destiny of the world is determined less by the battles that are lost and won than by the stories it loves and believes in.

Comment

I'm guessing that answers my question about metal bracers counting as armour for the arms...

Comment

This...is badass.

Comment

- Longswords have had their traits rebalanced based on observations of player testing. Strongcut has been removed and replaced with cancut, making cut and thrust both viable options, which the presence of the cleave attack still makes the weapons slightly more inclined to cut focused fighters.
                              - Longswords have been given feint such that all sword types (and only swords) have access to feint now. This was done to reflect the versatility of a sword compared to an axe or other weapon.
                              - Rapiers have had strongthrust replaced with canthrust, because they were a little too strong. The weapon still punishes the use of cuts with weakcut, and further possesses the lunge special attack, thus discouraging rapier fighters from cutting as is historically accurate.
                              - Saluting an opponent at the start of a duel automatically sets that person as your @target.
                              - Full color coding for dueling emotes has been implemented using the same color tags as the original duel code. Special attacks are surrounded by >> brackets << when used:
                              Last edited by Kurzon; 08-25-2015, 08:27 PM.
                              StoryHost Kurzon
                              Castle Marrach Staff

Comment

Originally posted by Melle View Post
                                I'm guessing that answers my question about metal bracers counting as armour for the arms...
                                Right now I'm leaning towards "no", as jewelry bracers are meant to be decorative and jewelers don't have access to a forge or the skills necessary to make plate armour.
                                StoryHost Kurzon
                                Castle Marrach Staff

Comment

Working...
                                X