Announcement

Collapse

Downtimes: June 24 - July 2nd

We've got another batch of shutdowns coming in late June and early July, so that the machines can be repaired for the newest bug, the ZombieLoad CPU bug.

In general, the Genesis games (Grendel, TEC, TEC-Test) all have reboots scheduled for the absolute middle of the night, so I'll be taking each down the previous evening at midnight and bringing them back up the next morning at 9am.

The SkotOS games have always been more robust about reboots, so we'll let them reboot on their own, though there's some chance for an ~2 hour data loss. In any case, I'll be checking them after the 2-hour window when I can, though Marrach has a middle-of-the-night reboot, so that'll be the next morning.

The UserDB and Web reboots will cause some downtime for the entire site, but again they will hopefully come up cleanly.

GENESIS:

- Shutdown Grendel (late Sunday 6/23)

- Startup Grendel (early Monday 6/24)

- Shutdown TEC (late Monday 6/24)

- Startup TEC (early Tuesday 6/25)

- Check TEC Client (9pm Tuesday 6/25)

- Shutdown TEC-Test (late Thursday 6/27)

- Startup TEC-Test (Friday 6/28)

SKOTOS:

- Marrach (Monday early morning 6/24)

- Ironclaw (Monday 10pm-midnight 6/24)

- Lovecraft, Lazarus (Monday 8pm-10pm 7/2)

MAIN SITE:

- UserDB (Monday 10pm-midnight 6/24)

- Web (Sunday 9pm-11pm 6/30)
See more
See less

Announcing Duel 2.0

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I haven't had a chance to try it IC yet but I'm curious about a 4 person battle in how it works.

I get that you can target specific people either using @target or by actively targeting people with the attacks (IE: cut bob)

But does the system have any concept of teams or is it on the players to remember who their allies and enemies are? EXAMPLE TIME:

If my skilled swords fighter gets in battle with Gunn, Carla, and Jeffery and my skilled swords fighter is on a team with Gunn and Carla and Jeffery on a team, if Gunn and I survive the fight hitting both Carla and Jeffery, then the only way the fight ends is if we end it manually at that point right? The game doesn't say 'Oh Gunn and you are on the same team so auto end the battle' right?

And yes I know I normally pick names like Bob and Tom for examples, but I like imagining ONE of my characters could beat Jeffery in a duel
    ~ Initiate Kaori Zaihou ~
    OOC: Signature last changed on 3/24/2018

Comment

Originally posted by Kaori View Post
      I haven't had a chance to try it IC yet but I'm curious about a 4 person battle in how it works.

I get that you can target specific people either using @target or by actively targeting people with the attacks (IE: cut bob)

But does the system have any concept of teams or is it on the players to remember who their allies and enemies are? EXAMPLE TIME:

If my skilled swords fighter gets in battle with Gunn, Carla, and Jeffery and my skilled swords fighter is on a team with Gunn and Carla and Jeffery on a team, if Gunn and I survive the fight hitting both Carla and Jeffery, then the only way the fight ends is if we end it manually at that point right? The game doesn't say 'Oh Gunn and you are on the same team so auto end the battle' right?

And yes I know I normally pick names like Bob and Tom for examples, but I like imagining ONE of my characters could beat Jeffery in a duel
      It would end automatically, cause Gunn would turn on your skilled sword player and stab him. :P

In all seriousness, the system does not designate teams. So you'd have to remember who was who, and then @withdraw from combat when your side was successfull.

Or just wait for Gunn to stab you. :P
      Tyr Gunn
      Lieutenant of the Queen's Regular Army

Comment

But does the system have any concept of teams or is it on the players to remember who their allies and enemies are?
        You have to keep track of who is on your own team. I contemplated adding a way to set your team before commencing an @fight so that the duel automatically ends when all the remaining fighters are on the same team, but ultimately there's no reason people can't just @withdraw when that happens and it was going to be a fair bit of extra work with the targetting array script to make that happen.

Forcing teams through code also brings with it the downside of not being able to betray people. What's to say the roguish fiend you just teamed up with to beat big bad criminal isn't actually going to turn around and stab you in the back mid fight? A coded team functionality that prevents you from attacking your own team mates would make that impossible.
        StoryHost Kurzon
        Castle Marrach Staff

kurzon.marrach@outlook.com

The destiny of the world is determined less by the battles that are lost and won than by the stories it loves and believes in.

Comment

I guess 'attacking a teammate' is the new 'attacking during salute'?
          [OOC Page] from Juliee: "I dreamed about Aratan last night. It was the most dull dream ever"

Comment

Originally posted by Aratan View Post
            I guess 'attacking a teammate' is the new 'attacking during salute'?
            I've already seen it done. It got mostly chuckles.
            Tyr Gunn
            Lieutenant of the Queen's Regular Army

Comment

Ooh, another question, since I'm spamming up the thread instead of actually testing in-game, does typing 'recover' still manually drop you into recovery stance?
              [OOC Page] from Juliee: "I dreamed about Aratan last night. It was the most dull dream ever"

Comment

I think any question posed in here is a good question, because it provides those of us who have yet to have a chance to hop on and test it out (myself, included) an opportunity to have a lot of our questions answered going in. Keep 'em coming!

Comment

Back by popular request, a tempo score script has been added for Duel 2.0.

As with the script for the original dueling system, the tempo score script tracks how many attacks you performed throughout the fight and accumulates a base score based the base damage of those attacks (1 pt for thrusts, 1.5 for cuts, anywhere between 1 and 2 points for feints depending on how high the feint was charged up), that base number is then increased by a bonus modifier for counterattacks and rest hits; striking guard is worth 1x points, recover 2x, attacking 3x and rest 4x.

Example 1: I cut at John Do in recover, I receive 3 tempo points.
                  Example 2: I feint at Yosimite Sam in rest, it's been 3 attacks since my previous feint (1.75 damage), I receive 7 tempo points.

I receive these points regardless of whether my hitroll was successful and damage was actually done, because tempo score is based off your timing not the sum of successful attacks you attempted.
                  StoryHost Kurzon
                  Castle Marrach Staff

The destiny of the world is determined less by the battles that are lost and won than by the stories it loves and believes in.

Comment

Originally posted by Aratan View Post
                    Ooh, another question, since I'm spamming up the thread instead of actually testing in-game, does typing 'recover' still manually drop you into recovery stance?
                    In the interests of preserving the code as similarly as possible as to how the original code ran: "yes". But what you'd want to manually recover beats me.
                    StoryHost Kurzon
                    Castle Marrach Staff

Comment

Does anyone know what it means when someone goes into Global Cooldown during a duel? It seems to happen in duels where there are more than 2 people. I've not had it happen to me yet so I don't know the specific message that pops up, but I've heard a few people mention it.

Only thing we have found to fix it is to @withdraw and then go back into the duel. Of course that resets everyone's stamina... so if it's an actual intended mechanic we might all just be circumventing it due to not knowing what it even means.
                      ~ Initiate Kaori Zaihou ~
                      OOC: Signature last changed on 3/24/2018

Comment

Global cooldowns usually mean that an action you've taken means all your actions are on a cooldown timer. Usually it's a mechanic used to balance out the power of a skill, as well as acknowledge recovery time? I'm mostly used to seeing it in MMOs, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Kurzon View Post
                          It's worth noting that Duel 2.0 runs slightly faster than the original code; though the delays were set the same (2 seconds in "attacking" after an attack, an additional 1 second in "recover" if it was a cut or feint) the script as a whole runs slightly faster - about 0.2 to 0.4 seconds in most testing samples. The "You are too busy" error that players with slower connections often complain about shouldn't occur anymore - however if you attempt to attack while still recovering from your previous attack, you'll still get a message saying your attacks are on cooldown. If you receive such a message, it's not lag, it's simply that you're not supposed to attack yet.
                          Basically what Euphelia's player said, but here's Kurzon explaining it in the original post if more clarification is needed.

Comment

There were several instances of people getting stuck in this status today, often before they could even make a single move in the fight. That's what Kaori was deacribing. I got the message several times myself, because my timing sucks, but was able to immediately resume fighting. The others, though, couldn't do anything but @withdraw.

Comment

Does anyone know what it means when someone goes into Global Cooldown during a duel? It seems to happen in duels where there are more than 2 people. I've not had it happen to me yet so I don't know the specific message that pops up, but I've heard a few people mention it.

Only thing we have found to fix it is to @withdraw and then go back into the duel. Of course that resets everyone's stamina... so if it's an actual intended mechanic we might all just be circumventing it due to not knowing what it even means.
                              The "global cooldown" is the term for the phase immediately after you launch an attack where you cannot attack again, it lasts 2 seconds for a thrust and 3 for a cut or feint. The dueling system has always had this, just in the original code it used to read "you are too busy doing something else" whereas in Duel 2.0 it tells you your attacks are on cooldown.

That said, I have no idea what caused the cooldown to not dissipate during your fights. Nothing's been changed with the code and its run the last month without any issues. I've not been able to replicate the bug with my own testing using 3 bodies in a multi-person duel either.

If it happens again file an assist including how many people were included in the fight leading up to the bug and whether it was armed or melee combat.
                              StoryHost Kurzon
                              Castle Marrach Staff

Comment

Duel 2.0 sounds absolutely amazeballs, Kurzon. Maybe someday I'll get to try it out.

Comment

Working...
                                X