Announcement

Collapse

Downtimes: June 24 - July 2nd

We've got another batch of shutdowns coming in late June and early July, so that the machines can be repaired for the newest bug, the ZombieLoad CPU bug.

In general, the Genesis games (Grendel, TEC, TEC-Test) all have reboots scheduled for the absolute middle of the night, so I'll be taking each down the previous evening at midnight and bringing them back up the next morning at 9am.

The SkotOS games have always been more robust about reboots, so we'll let them reboot on their own, though there's some chance for an ~2 hour data loss. In any case, I'll be checking them after the 2-hour window when I can, though Marrach has a middle-of-the-night reboot, so that'll be the next morning.

The UserDB and Web reboots will cause some downtime for the entire site, but again they will hopefully come up cleanly.

GENESIS:

- Shutdown Grendel (late Sunday 6/23)

- Startup Grendel (early Monday 6/24)

- Shutdown TEC (late Monday 6/24)

- Startup TEC (early Tuesday 6/25)

- Check TEC Client (9pm Tuesday 6/25)

- Shutdown TEC-Test (late Thursday 6/27)

- Startup TEC-Test (Friday 6/28)

SKOTOS:

- Marrach (Monday early morning 6/24)

- Ironclaw (Monday 10pm-midnight 6/24)

- Lovecraft, Lazarus (Monday 8pm-10pm 7/2)

MAIN SITE:

- UserDB (Monday 10pm-midnight 6/24)

- Web (Sunday 9pm-11pm 6/30)
See more
See less

Announcing Duel 2.0

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After some changes and debugging, a second attempt to release the tempo score feature seems to be functioning.

The tempo scoring is an accumulative score that rises with every dueling action you take. As such a long duel will always result in higher scores than a short one, even if the players in the short duel were more accurate and precise in their timing. Tempo scores between two fighters in the same duel can be used to compare how well they timed their attacks, but two scores from two different duels cannot be compared as such.

For those curious, the score for each attack is represented as the base damage of that attack, multiplied by a bonus modifier for the stance of the opponent, and then multiplied by 4 (the x4 multiplier was to remove fraction scores so it's never possible to score 0.25, 0.5 or 0.75 pts, scores will always be whole numbers now).

Base Point Amounts:

A thrust deals 1.0 base damage, and is therefore worth 4pts.
    A cut deals 1.5 base damage and is therefore worth 6 pts.
    A feint's base damage varies and can be worth 4, 5, 6, 7 or 8 pts depending on how charged it is (see feint mechanics in original post).

That point sum is then multiplied by a stance bonus. 1x points are received for striking a target in guard, 2x points are received for hitting them in recover, 4x points are awarded for hitting them in attacking and 5x for hitting them in rest.

Examples:

Example #1: A thrust on the opponent's rest stance; 1x4x5 = 20pts

Example #2: A cut on the opponent's attacking stance; 1.5x4x4 = 24pts

Example #3: A feint with 3-of-4 readiness charges on the opponent's recover stance; 1.75x4x2 = 14pts

StoryHost Kurzon
    Castle Marrach Staff

kurzon.marrach@outlook.com

The destiny of the world is determined less by the battles that are lost and won than by the stories it loves and believes in.

Comment

Dual wielding is now in effect. The syntax for this is: @dualwield <weapon1> and <weapon2>

When doing so, both weapons will be "combined" into a single item - it is not possible via the low level game code to actually wield more than 1 item at a time, so this was the workaround. The combined item will carry over all properties from the two weapons that created it, so if an axe that can only cut is combined with a stiletto that can only thrust, the new dual-item will be able to do both. It also favours the stronger properties, so if a weapon with a weak cut is combined with a weapon with a strong cut, we assume you use the stronger of the two weapons when cutting and the Duel 2.0 script will roll your attacks with the strong cut bonus. This code also works for combining a weapon with a shield.

This should work with any MGen or pre-MGen weapon or shield, but as is the case where thousands of weapons have made their way in-game over the last 15 years, it's possible there are old ones we missed which need to be updated to function properly. Dual wielding such items may result in the dual wield failing with an error message, or complete the process but yield some unusual results when combined (two hand weapons being dual wielded, or the description of the new combined object being odd). This is mostly only true of custom/unique weapons, which for the most part were simply copied from the generic longsword item in a time when it wasn't thought that different weapons may someday behave differently, and are spread throughout the game's files in such a manner that it is hard to manually search for and fix every custom weapon. If you think your weapon is behaving oddly, file an assist to have it updated.

Combined weapon objects are targettable as "weapon", and the individual weapons that make up the combined weapon are targettable as weapon1 and weapon2. A combined item still needs to be wielded through the normal command "wield my weapon" after being combined with @dualwield. Please wield an object immediately after using the @dualwield command; objects should not be set down or left in a combined state when not being fought with. A dualweapon will automatically uncombine when unwielded.

At this time the dualweapon and shield special attacks "flurry" and "smite" are not yet fully implemented - don't attempt them.

StoryHost Kurzon
      Castle Marrach Staff

The destiny of the world is determined less by the battles that are lost and won than by the stories it loves and believes in.

Comment

[pulled forward for reference purposes]
        Juliana Dagon
        • Courtier
        • Equerry and Head of House for Lord Dolph
        • Apprentice to the Royal Venefice, Lady Hieronyma
        • Patron and Leader of the Castle's Garden Society

Comment

[bumpity bumped]

Comment

i was wondering about a separate weapon category for curved swords? there's a few in existence right now in the castle and i'm guessing they'd fall under the standard one-handed sword category by default. to me, though, it doesn't seem like it makes a lot of sense for weapons like falchions, sabres and scimitars to be lunge-capable rather than cleave-capable, mostly because these weapons are designed to favour cutting attacks and as it stands they more reward fighters who are better with thrusts.

i suppose the simplest alternative would be subbing canlunge out for cancleave, but it depends on how people imagine cleaving given that these aren't by necessity heavy weapons. removing canlunge and adding strongcut might be better?

anyway, just a thought i had.

Comment

As one of the ones that helped build the new MGen weapons, the curved swords have their own unique properties to them already, and in keeping with the realistic nature of them, so don't worry about that piece at all.

Katana is a full out unique weapon that is quite versatile though in CM and reality, though in CM it currently does not go back and forth between being a two handed to a one handed like it does in reality.
              StoryBuilder Chimi
              Chimi@marrach.skotos.net

Comment

ah, sweet. should have guessed you guys would be on top of this stuff!

Comment

Ultimately what's happened is we've had to make unique exceptions for some weapons that altogether don't fit in any of the original categories. Curved swords was one example, poleaxes/halberds were another that don't act the way the rest of their weapon class (two hand spear) might be expected to.

I believe in the case of curved swords we simply gave them cleave instead of lunge as their special attack, as the only alternative was leaving lunge and giving them strongcut, which made them imbalancingly stronger than their straight-bladed cousins.

On hand-and-half weapons, I am currently looking at a way to make certain weapons (IE: longsword) wieldable in either one or two hands, though they would lose some of their bonus stats if used single handed and would not be as balanced or effective in that role as a true one handed sword.
                  StoryHost Kurzon
                  Castle Marrach Staff

Comment

Flurrrrry.
                    I wanna gladiator style flurrrrry. Any luck on that?

Comment

I didn't end up implementing the flurry attack for dual wielding right away as I wanted to see how things worked balance wise with dual wielding as it was.

Based on trials and observations I don't think I'm going to implement it. As it stands, dual wielding can already be very powerful with certain weapon combinations since you get the "special attacks" from each weapon type on separate cooldowns (a shortsword and axe for example can use both the cleave and lunge attacks on their own cooldowns). Adding an additional special attack that is dual wield exclusive I feel would be imbalancing at this point.
                      StoryHost Kurzon
                      Castle Marrach Staff

Comment

This is me, booing from the sidelines, because flurry was something I was waiting on with bated breath for Umi, who I have roleplayed for years as a dual-wielding type. Is there no way to just make the command exclusive to only certain type of weapons as opposed to all weapons that can dual-wield?
                        Proud member of: WWMHSBA

"Why don't you all just go submit some plots where you can get pregnant, give birth to you own alt as an annoying child character, have it grow up to be a drama queen, and then you can use IC/OOC crossover to hide the goods you stole and escape from the dungeon that you're locked in due to a badly run rape plot?!" - Age

Comment

Would there be any way to implement flurry to only the dual-wielding for shortswords/daggers/etc weapons that utilize lunge? They wouldn't benefit from the two-specials buff
                          Royal Chief of Medicine
                          Noble of Her Majesty's Royal Court
                          Avowed Seeker of the Faith

Comment

2016/08/15

1) I've added a new command, @fighteasy, which allows a combatant to manually lower their skill modifier rolls in the Duel 2.0 hit formula script, essentially simulating that your dueling skills are lower than they actually are when attacking and being attacked. For more info see: http://forum.skotos.net/forum/our-ga...ture-fighteasy

2) I've also modified the effects of the stat "shieldguard".

Previous: shieldguard gave +1 to defense rolls in all stances. This was essentially obsolete since the stat "long" for long weapons gives the same modifier and most long weapons also have offensive bonuses, so it was never stat-efficient to use a sword+shield vs a two-hand weapon.

Now: shieldguard gives a +1 defense modifier to all stances. It gives an additional +1 if attacked in guard or recover.
                            StoryHost Kurzon
                            Castle Marrach Staff

Comment

Originally posted by Dolph View Post
                              Would there be any way to implement flurry to only the dual-wielding for shortswords/daggers/etc weapons that utilize lunge? They wouldn't benefit from the two-specials buff
                              This is probably exactly what I'll do, actually. When I get a chance.
                              StoryHost Kurzon
                              Castle Marrach Staff

Comment

Can we look at stat bonuses to guard on dual-wielding? Perhaps to counters specifically? Right now, even without flurry, dual-wield is the weakest form, and has no mechanic benefits. We basically just have IC benefits but a dual-wielder vs longsword/sword-shield have no benefit. Currently, if using a cleave/lunge as mentioned before, they have special advantage, but not a lot of people realistically have 1h cleave weapons available

Just a thought - future stuff, not an immediate worry
                                Royal Chief of Medicine
                                Noble of Her Majesty's Royal Court
                                Avowed Seeker of the Faith

Comment

Working...
                                X